Sign in to follow this  
TheSlyMoogle

Anji vs. Slayer

random stuff - if you have him in corner pressure and predict he will use a forward dash to try to escape, wait for it and 2S combo the recovery - when his bar turns green things start to get really messy if you eat anything. being aggressive near round start can cut back on his meter gain but even so, attacking him is risky. generally you will be best served by trying your best to zone him and staying out of close range I think -cut back on lows as combos from 6K and 2H can quickly spell your doom. 6H can be hard to hit with lows at far ranges because he lifts his leg up so be careful with that too. low moves do beat BBU though as long as you're not at disadvantage -as far as combos are concerned you are pretty free to do what you want, the main types of combos all work on slayer. if you go for fujin loop do the first 5S/6P/2H into the 236S-K while he is still pretty high up compared to many others or the followup will be troublesome -if you block BBU and he doesn't have meter to RC it you get a free dash 5S combo even if you FDed it. however if you air FD it, slayer is safe Defense: - 5P beats iadjH but not a jump in jH! don't try to beat jH unless with air throw or move away from him -use 5P as an interrupt a lot on slayer as it hits him out of most things other than 6P(though often you will recovery before he hits you) and 2K. zoning butterflies are also very good - don't try to wakeup throw him no matter how close he is, both 6K and 2D are throw invincible - for oki he can do a lot of things but his overheads of note are 6K and 5D. don't forget he can cancel 5D before it hits and go low as well. you can wakeup 6K his 6K or 5D and 3K his lows if desired. Doing anything is risky though so use good prediction and if you can't, stick to blocking. Reversal fujin may punish a meaty 2D for a free combo depending on his timing, however if he did a fast recovery move like 6K or 2K he will miss but still be able to throw you before Fujin can hit him.

Reversal HS Fuujin is also effective here as it'll get you out of most of Slayer's Oki(other than that bite).However,if you do it too often,you'll get baited/countered.Mix it up with 3k/1k(in case he dashes behind you to grab) or jump and FD.

I don't think reversal Fujin will always punish 2D. It may punish it if the SL is using the very late frames, but any SL knows that vs. Anji you do 2D late to catch his Fujin into a free combo. Also, doing Fujin mixups isn't really a good idea because if he IB's the fujin he gets a free 2H/2D/2K into whatever combo and CH 2D combos hurt if the SL can do them.

if slayer is using the late frames wouldn't it be the opposite and he'd be more likely to not get hit? I do think reversal Fujin is guaranteed but I'll check it later. Regardless, if he does 6K instead he can throw you after it misses (or possibly get a 2K maybe). fujin "mix ups" aren't a good idea on any character really lol. also I doubt blocking fujin yields free damage for slayer, if the S followup doesn't interrupt your move (only IB into 2H might beat it) i guarantee the P followup would deal with that

What Mac says is correct. Slayer's 2D has 15 active frames. HS Fuujin is invincible to strikes in frames 1-12, and active on the 20th frame. Therefore if slayer does 2D within 3 frames of Anji's getup, then Anji will get hit out of Reversal Fuujin (and if he doesnt reversal it, The meaty 2D will simply hit.) If Slayer does his 2D 4 or more frames before Anji's getup, the 1-12 frame invulnerability will get through all of Slayer's move and hit him in the 12 frame recovery of Slayer's move.

looks like you're right after all, he can block it if his 2D is almost over when the meaty happens. however it will not hit fujin I thought it was guaranteed cause the move doesn't have good recovery cause of match experience but testing shows otherwise

I'm having trouble dealing with slayers pressure. Are there any tricks like fd'ing 6k to make him whiff his 2k, or ib something for a punish or to fd jump?? Slayer generally owns me. And i recall someone saying that 5hs was good for dealing with slayer dash mixups, but i was recently thrown outta it...

FD jump and backdash when there's even the smallest gap in his strings so that you don't have to deal with his retarded overheads like 6K and dust

if you get thrown out of 5H you are doing it too close. you should use it at distance

here are a couple of my matches against slayer from a couple months ago to show you roughly what you should be doing

good spacing in this one I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9OyRmbSuo&

FD jumping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6echv1T1IRg

you really gotta space well against slayer or you'll die pretty badly. even if you space really well it's still a tough match though. methinks 6-4 adv for slayer, the damage difference is just too great. you can find plenty of vids of me losing on youtube too I'm just putting those as examples of what you should try to do

random stuff

- don't try to wakeup throw him no matter how close he is, both 6K and 2D are throw invincible

6k and dandy HS overhead are throw invincible.

2D is not throw invincible. you just have to get that throw reversal timing.

well, i think everyone knows what you meant, but still, 6k is also not throw invincible, you can air throw him.

well, i think everyone knows what you meant, but still, 6k is also not throw invincible, you can air throw him.

On wake-up?

That slayer sure fell for a lot of P stomps. I can't get P stomps to work on my crew.

do more silly crossup setups I think every slayer ive played falls for P stomp a lot, lol. even so this matchup is hella retarded since he does like 3x the damage you do.

I hate this match =/ I'll say that first off. I wouldn't say that I have a lot of experience with it, but I will say that I've played some very good Slayer players. My favorite opener for this match is to just back dash. To me, it sounds like the best idea. Its safer to do this instead of trying to counter him off the bat, considering his 2D will beat pretty much everything you do unless you are specifically trying to stop that, in which case 3S or 2HS could work but will get you trashed if he did something else. If you back dash and he does do a 2D as a starter, you get a free combo out of it, which can lead to KD into momentum in your favor (which is easy to lose in this match.) This match is similar to vs Chun in 3s for me. Very dangerous with bar, but still annoying without it. Anji's unsafe pokes and Slayers huge damage make this a match you definitely want to play safe. One wrong move will allow Slayer to use his speed and power to take massive chunks out of your life. Best pokes against him, I would say are 6S and 2S at max range. Another useful move is 6P in my opinion. If used correctly will beat out mach punch and I also believe it will beat dandy follow ups (maybe not the FB one though). One thing I learned (the hard way) was that you pretty much can't do anything when he jumps in on you. His J.HS reaches far enough down to beat 6P and if you fail to auto guard it, you will eat stupid damage from CH combos. When using butterfly pressure, make sure to watch out for: back dash, DoT, and BBU. BBU will go through butterfly if he wakes up with it and the butterfly isn't already on him. Back dashing will allow him to safely get out of pressure and counter you as you run in. Always watch Slayer's bar when you are executing butterfly set ups. I've found it possible to bait BBU with red butterfly set ups. In which case, I will just throw the red butterfly and just stand there (if I am close to him) or do a short dash break. If he BBUs, you block and punish, if he back dashes, you can HS fujin if you are close enough and catch him. This is a strictly safety match only in my eyes. You can lose the lead and the match quickly if you aren't careful and aware at all times. So, I advise to always look at his meter, try to play as safe as possible, and try not to get too comfortable when you have lead/momentum. That's just about all I've got at the moment, that I can remember. Hope some of it helps.

Backdash loses to k mappa and leads into 50% combo.Safest option is to actually just backwards SJ at the start. During Butterfly pressure...I would suggest you look out for forward dash into bites more.That will completely turn the entire momentum around.

I suppose your right about the back dash. But that doesn't sound like a great option for Slayer to do as a start up, often. He would have to mind read the back dash, otherwise I don't see why he would want to start with that. I also forgot about the bite. The seems pretty ballsy though, I would think, if said Slayer doesn't have the tension to break the pressure, they would rather try to get out.

well slayers defense rating is so freaking retarded he can honestly afford to take some stupid risks like that. you don't have the luxury to do the same with anji of course

Thats certainly true. I'll reiterate, I hate Slayer :P Arc studios made him too buff this time around. So buff I don't even feel right using him anymore.

Argh, Can't...get...out...of...corner!!! Advice? EDIT: I realize that I'm probably not giving enough info here. I get knocked into the wall for wall stick from his "bullet punch", and then he pretty much just rapes me with 2H and 236K (The group I started is still at the semi-button mashing level and in the Slayer player's case it's working, unfortunately). I want to break out either by jumping or AG, but I can't jump out since he manages to intercept, and I can't make AG work with 2H.

I haven't played in a few weeks, but I'm sure you can 236H through 236K in the corner into combo, or even just AG it with 6K. If you're feeling really ballsy, P stomp goes over 2H if you time it right. Teach him not to be a spammy fuck. EDIT: Or react to it with Super Stomp and show him what stomping things is all about! :eng101: Also, if your Slayer approaches with iad j.H, guardpoint it on reaction with 6K, its really not that hard. Again, watch out though, cause A) it can be baited unloess you FRC, B) If you fuck up, you die. :psyduck: also fun fact: if you did 6K directly before Slayer did DoT, its a free AG! (Not to say this is a good idea in any way because you are far more likely to fuck up the timing and die really really badly. :vbang: Honestly, Slayer doesn't feel that hard to deal with for me, and he's probably one of the easiest characters in the game to autoguard but like Kyoku said, you have to play it safe or you die miserably.

Note about P stomp vs. Slayer for you Anji guys around here: It's an overhead, but the hitbox is really low. 2H will beat it out whether it is a crossup or not since it hits both sides. SL gets and amazing combo off a 2H that close.

Well 6S beats out a ton of stuff a slayer tries to do if he gets reckless. Just learned that at Katsucon. I kinda spammed the 6S and got a lot of bad glares after it. >.> I pretty much won because of 6S though. Works as a good starting move, can work as a medio-core anti-air (Slayers IAD sucks remember), auto-guard timed right can negate his moves. If you get repetitive though pull out 6S, and continue with a normal fuujin combo. Get a knockdown. Shoot butterfly. He'll block and probably back up. Dash in 2D or if you want go with 6S do a fuujin set up. Or just hang back and poke out his mistakes.

Just a note about 6S...you better not do it too often because he can just dandy step (therefore you whiff) into a free pilebunker.It's safer to throw out 5P.It might not be as good as 6S,but it's definitely safer as a poke.Also,it interrupts anything that's not 2P/2K.

Sign in to follow this