Sign in to follow this  
TheSlyMoogle

Anji vs. Testament

Alright, I guess I can try and give some advice for this match. :psyduck: This is my first try at really giving advice on a matchup so please correct any errors. :I: Testament just tries to keep you mid range with his traps and exe beast. A lot of Anji's pokes can really stop testaments webs/trees. some options against the web: 6p - If he tries to rush you after he sets up a web, use 6p to slip under his attack (he will more than likely use c.s or f.s to combo you.) 5h - Really good range and hits both sides so even if his web is somewhere near you it will get rid of it. 6k - No surprise here folks. If you can time it right, autoguard those webs and use the K counter. P counter doesn't really help at all in this matchup. 5p - If it's infront of you and tries to jump or Badlands out of random. [Needs testing] 6s - Godly poke in this matchup, gets rid of most webs since it stretches almost half-screen. Some options against the trees are: Super Jump - As you all know, just going over the trees will cause them to activate. 6k - Autoguard the trees as they activate to surprise Teste if he tries to rush you. Usually the K counter is the best since it has good invicibility and can get traps also. 2d(?) - Not sure. I think it will activate the trees and you'll recover fast enough to either block it or not get hit at all. [Needs Testing]. I'm sure there's others, but I can't think of them at the moment. His exe beasts are really annoying since they can hit infront or behind you: 6k - Autoguard those beasts and K counter! (As stated above) IB - Should let you escape if he doesn't cancel the exe beast. Super jump - If he does it from behind you super jump away and bait him using D in the air to stop your momentum. HS Fuujin - If you can time it Super Sonic your way through that beast and get that CH! If he cancels it he'll more than likely block it but will CH you if you pick the wrong follow up. Anji's DAA is horrible in this matchup (As almosts everyone else's) since you don't have any invicibility at the start of the attack. If he gets in your face, your only real option is to block the mix-up or Autoguard your way out. Autoguarding is way too risky in my opinion unless you're a master of it (even then it's still really risky since he get a counter and BL loop you for 50% - 70% life). Watch out for his 6p (overhead) and 2k. He uses those a lot as his mixup. Anji's Shitsu pressure will help out a lot since teste doesn't really have a good way of escaping pressure either. Use P attack after Fuujin to get webs near you and stop teste in his tracks. The only problem is that if he sees this coming he can CH you and do a badlands loop...again.

6S is indeed a good poke in this matchup. Testament lacks long range low attacks other than 2D, which is kinda whack to throw out by itself. Anji's DAA is horrible in every matchup Testament is weak against throws in general. Common anti-pressure tools for him such as warrant, nightmare circular, low blocking with a tree right in front, and exe beast, all lose to a dash brake throw if close enough. Keep it in mind! Throw can start your offensive pressure , or even serve as a unblockable setup from which he cannot escape without 50% meter. Defense: know his popular mixup options 2K - low 6P- overhead 2K6P - tricky, low then overhead c.5S (blocked) 6P/2D mixup - this will hurt a lot if you get hit because of guard build from 5S, and 2D doesn't scale badly like 2K does throw - there are tons of ways for him to throw you, which is painful. he may try to tick grab with 2K, or a similar move, luckily none of his normals are advantage on block so you can feel free to mash on that 2P in general (I bet a lot of testament don't know how to stop this) or throw him first. after frc beasts he may try to throw you straight up as well. also if you block okizeme web, he may try to throw you straight from that. crossup badlands- if he TKs this close up it will be a crossup tree crossup - after knockdown he may plant a tree then airdash over you and the tree will hit crossup, which leads to huge damage Combos: most combos will work on testament. he is the easiest character in the game to fujin loop!

I discovered that you can 6H GP or P stomp over forward exe by reaction. Unless he FRC the beast, GP follow ups and P stomp will hit, net you a possible combo. I only tried it few times so if anyone wants to confirm this 100%, please do so and report back : )

Well,if you have godlike reactions,you can p stomp over the beast(like when it comes out)...otherwise it's more so of anticipation as you will be hit by the beast if you're too slow or too quick.I would recommend HS Fuujin through the beast if you have that kind of reaction.The 6H sounds kinda risky since it's a late guard point.It's best to just 6K autoguard it instead,or even 6S as it's the best poke to use in this match (hell,I would think even 5D is a better autoguard than 6HS...the only time I would 6HS is against Anji/Baiken in shitsu pressure as it autoguards most things they try to do getting out).

I have no idea why 6K never worked for me. I have to try that out sometimes. 6HS and p stomp never required God-like reaction :)

Throws definitely isn't one of testament's weaknesses when he is on defense. Not only does he have very very slightly more throw range than you do, but both his c.S option select and his followups off both of them are very potent, which gives him an excellent throw game. It's just that his damn c.S is extremely good of an option select as it would also cover some throw bait attempts (such as dashing up and FD jumping close to him). It's not to say that Anji should never use his throws against him. If anything, it's encouraged to mix it up to get past warrant and NC but his counterthrow game is just also something to consider. PS: 6K GP Nightmare Circular on reaction to the superflash if you're dashing up since NC would normally give frame advantage :v:

well anji has one of the worst throws in the game, and testament has one of the best. I'm just saying that testament doesn't have any throw invincible attacks and it will beat a lot of his normal defensive measures. also I posted that over 2 months ago, lol

I have little input on this match that hasn't already really been discussed. But I do remember a trick I used a few times before. You can throw him out of warrant if you bait it. Example of that is KD into butterfly > short dash as if you are going to start pressure > dash break > throw as he appears on you. I suppose that takes some real mind reading skills, or if you are going up against somebody who is known to use that against butterfly pressure =/ Though I don't think its a good idea unless you are already in his face attacking.

Wouldn't it be better to 6K GP the warrant instead? I'd imagine that even though throw has a directional option select, there might be more timing/spacing issues with using it against warrant. Just wondering.

I think that throwing him out of his attempted escape and putting him right back into butterfly pressure would be more scary, allowing you to establish a little fear mess with their mind. Its like throwing during butterfly pressure then going for another throw after you set the butterfly again.

It depends on a situation in my opinion. GP follow up will be better in corner for follow up combo to knock down else throw for butterfly pressure.

You're right. If you have chance to nab a wallstick, of course it would be a better idea. Its all about your ability to react though. For me, when I see warrant, I instantly go for the throw. Kind of a habit now. I don't consider it a bad habit, but I can't always take advantage of options like that unless I remember.

Sign in to follow this