Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akiro

Persona 4: Arena, coming to usa console summer 2012! New character: Elizabeth from the Velvet Room!

lolno.

I honestly do not get why people like the P3 and P4 dubs. I tried to sit through both of them, and P3's was almost painful while P4's was just boring.

P4's dub being boring makes it good, insofar as American dubs of Japanese games is concerned. It could have been better, I'll admit, but I actually enjoyed it for the most part. I also personally found Rise's Japanese voice rather irritating in a lot of the voiced scenes.

But yeah, personal preference.

Kugimiya Rie seems fine to me in the anime? Was it worse in the game?

I think it's better in the anime. I may just be more used to accepting that type of voice in anime, though. I'd have to go back and compare the game and the anime, and I don't really want to bother, haha.

P4's dub being boring makes it good, insofar as American dubs of Japanese games is concerned.

...What? No. No. Just because it's not as bad as dubs used to be does not make it good. That is fucking stupid. That is probably one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard about dubs.

And no, personal preference does not play a role here. That would only be the case if the Japanese and English dubs were both good, which the latter simply is not. To say otherwise is a spit in the face to the actual good dubs the industry has seen.

Could hightlight the problems then?

To me the dub just fitted naturally with the characters. Sans a few lines from naoto here and there.

Personal preference does play a role here, since that's mostly the case why you think the English dub is bad.

The other problem with the dub is the dialogue, which sometimes sound awkward in English.

I myself prefer original voice over anything else. I don't play Western game with Japanese voice, and vice versa. I want to play my game as close to its original state as possible (I'd have played most of my game in Japanese if I actually managed to finish my course).

More options for consumers is always a good thing.

Are we really arguing about dubs....on an FG forum? come on guys..thats about the absolute LEAST most relevant aspect of this game. Dub and sub preferences always devolve into a stupid shitstorm.

Yeah, let's just stop this discussion. It's starting to delve into that territory where arguments never end. We've all had our say, and like Jourdal said, it's not very relevant to discussion about the game.

Moving back on from that lovely discussion, it's great to see pretty much every character getting some longer higher damage combos from these videos (especially from fatals, ouch). Right now, the game seems very well balanced, even if the character usage distribution isn't but that will likely change with time.

The status effect? Makes it so you can't block while it's on.

New MM Vlog, it was recorded based off our Day 1 impressions so don't jump us =x

Shoutouts to UNiB being the preview image

So... you guys wanna share tier lists? It's probably pointless this early, but hey, I'm bored. My version so far looks something like this:

High:

Naoto, Chie

Mid:

Aigis, Kanji, Yosuke, Yukiko, Mitsuru

Low:

Yu, Akihiko, Teddie(?)

New MM Vlog, it was recorded based off our Day 1 impressions so don't jump us =x

Shoutouts to UNiB being the preview image

The video was enjoyable. I laughed a little bit when you guys were talking about Kanji.

It's pretty interesting to see how a game evolves over the months/years and it's nice to have a hard copy of people's thoughts over time to look back on. So I don't think early tier lists are 'pointless' for history purposes, even if they are useless in terms of really judging character strength for the long run.

I think the most certain thing right now is that Akihiko is completely unexplored, he has a bunch of moves I've seen used maybe a grand total of once. As a result he looks very bad. As other characters are getting into some advanced strategies, Akihiko doesn't even have any real reliable B&Bs yet.

That one person who livestreams and comments on matches (I forget the name atm) uses Akihiko and says hes pretty bad atm. I'm hoping it's just a difficulty of using him thing, but I'm not to sure. He doesn't exactly seem terrible, but he has some noticeable flaws of how his games played right now.

You're talking about Jiyuna. Jiyuna also posted a Japanese BBS tier list, and it has Mitsuru and Chie on top if I remember correctly. I don't remember too many other characters on the list, but Teddie was ranked last.

This:

P4U General Tiers (BBS summary)

Very Strong: Mitsuru, Chie

Strong: Yu, Kanji

Normal: Rest

Slightly Weaker: Kuma, Yukiko

When was that posted? Because Yukiko is definitely not 'slightly weaker' tier.

Err, what are you basing your judgement on? Are you playing the game?

I'm surprised Naoto is only mid tier with everyone crying that she's broke. I guess the JP players just figured out how to get around/avoid dropping the fate gauge. Well, it's still only the first month so the game should still have plenty of development (hopefully).

When was that posted? Because Yukiko is definitely not 'slightly weaker' tier.

No offense but, he's playing the game almost daily...and we just have videos that are like...3%? of actual JP match play to go off of...that list is all we really have to go off of in terms of the general idea for character strength. Stunedge and the Yukikos and chariot seem pretty good. But Im seeing a lot of Chies in finals of these events. And hardly any akihikos. I Asked Jiyuna on his stream about Naoto and he didnt think very highly of her...tbh its mostly shadow thats making her look super good.