Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akiro

Persona 4: Arena, coming to usa console summer 2012! New character: Elizabeth from the Velvet Room!

Thanatos =/= Death.

I'd love to see Junpei, tatarada!

Err, I'm not sure what you're implying there, but Thanatos itself is the personification of death. If you're implying that just because Elizabeth is using Thanatos means that the protagonist isn't dead (which he is, his body is dead), I also find that hard to believe as that was one of his primary personas, and especially after actually experiencing death, would be a persona that would still be with him. The fact that Elizabeth has Thanatos is a symbolic implication that she has inherited it from him, just as Aegis inherited Orpheus from him in FES.

From a narrative perspective, I don't think Junpei has enough of a reason to fight anymore, unless the world was in danger again (and he was aware of that). From a gameplay perspective, I feel that Junpei would be too similar to Yu, and there isn't enough to differentiate them, unless he takes on a Ragna-esqe design and wields a broadsword haphazardly and aggressively.

Although this is off-topic, personally, I don't see why so many people want to see P3's protagonist return. If he returns, it will completely eliminate any emotional impact his sacrifice had in P3

Because, it's a fighting game not an RPG and people want more (or just their favorite) characters...and he's an extremely popular character. I honestly wish this game wasn't canon so they wouldnt have to come up with reasons for or against his inclusion, or have the roster limited because of canon.

Hey, even though we may not get Minato, there is still Hamuko! Though to tell the truth, I haven't finished P3P, so I'm not sure.

Speaking of P3, can SEES meet their Shadows on the Midnight Channel after they already have their Personas? How do the P3 and P4 Personas interact with each other, anyways?

Also, I've just learned that Mass Destruction plays during mirror matches of P3 characters. Gotta go slow.

Err, I'm not sure what you're implying there, but Thanatos itself is the personification of death. If you're implying that just because Elizabeth is using Thanatos means that the protagonist isn't dead (which he is, his body is dead), I also find that hard to believe as that was one of his primary personas, and especially after actually experiencing death, would be a persona that would still be with him. The fact that Elizabeth has Thanatos is a symbolic implication that she has inherited it from him, just as Aegis inherited Orpheus from him in FES.

From a narrative perspective, I don't think Junpei has enough of a reason to fight anymore, unless the world was in danger again (and he was aware of that). From a gameplay perspective, I feel that Junpei would be too similar to Yu, and there isn't enough to differentiate them, unless he takes on a Ragna-esqe design and wields a broadsword haphazardly and aggressively.

He never actually had Thanatos, he just had the shadow Death that looked exactly like Thanatos that was plot related and separated from him Before the end of the game. His body is also in a coma isn't it?

I never liked Junpei was he really popular enough to warrant inclusion?

Because, it's a fighting game not an RPG and people want more (or just their favorite) characters...and he's an extremely popular character. I honestly wish this game wasn't canon so they wouldnt have to come up with reasons for or against his inclusion, or have the roster limited because of canon.

Or they could just go the SNK route and make a dream match.

Not likely, though, of course.

Hey, even though we may not get Minato, there is still Hamuko! Though to tell the truth, I haven't finished P3P, so I'm not sure.

Hamuko was mostly just to make up for the lack of FES, I believe, and I remember reading somewhere that she's not canon in P4. So even if she is alive (the ending I got with her was rather vague, so I don't even know if she could be), she could only appear in, again, a dream match.

Speaking of P3, can SEES meet their Shadows on the Midnight Channel after they already have their Personas? How do the P3 and P4 Personas interact with each other, anyways?

How they got their evolved Personas probably counts as facing themselves, so it's unlikely that they'll encounter their Shadows.

Also, I've just learned that Mass Destruction plays during mirror matches of P3 characters. Gotta go slow.

althought unlikely, the fact that we have seen that on P4UMA there is a shadow Yu can open the posibility, at least its the vibe that i get from that

P4 arena's official website sourcecode has a placeholder for a character named "Syuyaku"

This is a varient of the word "Shuyaku" meaning protagonist, or leading role.

Minato Maybe?

Hmm. After glancing through a bit of a/the JP wiki, I'm getting the impression that most 2As are lows. Is that right? Seeing some characters with only 2A and sweeps listed as low attacks, as well.

Not sure about what is or isn't an overhead, though.

edit: still waiting on someone to post up on the bbs what labrys' axe colour gauge thing is. all that's there atm is guesses.

@Jourdal: Narrative integrity aside, I don't really understand why people like his character so much, because ironically enough, he has no personality and doesn't leave an impact outside of his visual design. Atlus rectified this when they created Yu and later, female protagonist in Persona 3 Portable by giving them more of a personality and distinct emphasis on their roles within the party. In fact, aside from the plot devices he satisfies through his existence, the "real" protagonist of Persona 3 actually ends up being Aegis.

@SoWL: We don't even fully understand the rules behind the tv world in Persona 4, so going into how Persona 3 characters and their personas interact with that is beyond our understanding.

@Osuna: He is literally dead in a physical sense. They clear this up beyond a shadow of a doubt in FES (since people couldn't understand the obvious symbolism marking his death). Death and Thanatos are one in the same. Shadows are also very similar to personas, and they even take it a step further in P4 by directly stating that shadows and personas are one in the same. The protagonist from Persona 3 can invoke Thanatos even after the separation. Outside of the strange Izanagi anomaly (which is odd in itself), in the P3/P4 world, we have never seen 2 characters possess the same Personas at the same time, with the only exceptions being "inheritance" (this also applies to Persona 2 as well if you only look at the base personas).

Technically Minato is not actually dead his souls is just acting as a barrier for Nyx and Elizabeth herself even says that she is on a quest to free his soul so it is possibile for him to make a return. Honestly though I would find it pretty humorous for it to happen in a fighting game of all places.

@Osuna: He is literally dead in a physical sense. They clear this up beyond a shadow of a doubt in FES (since people couldn't understand the obvious symbolism marking his death). Death and Thanatos are one in the same. Shadows are also very similar to personas, and they even take it a step further in P4 by directly stating that shadows and personas are one in the same. The protagonist from Persona 3 can invoke Thanatos even after the separation. Outside of the strange Izanagi anomaly (which is odd in itself), in the P3/P4 world, we have never seen 2 characters possess the same Personas at the same time, with the only exceptions being "inheritance" (this also applies to Persona 2 as well if you only look at the base personas).

That's like saying that Daring Gygas could be a Persona.

It's not clear what Personas actually are. They coud be either a representation of someone's Psyche or real Demons/Gods.

Just because Yu can summon Izanagi does it means that him ,the *Real* Izanagi, exists only to serve him? Or is he just the best Deity to represent his Swag personality?

Can Izanami be someone's Persona?

That's like saying that Daring Gygas could be a Persona.

It's not clear what Personas actually are. They coud be either a representation of someone's Psyche or real Demons/Gods.

Just because Yu can summon Izanagi does it means that him ,the *Real* Izanagi, exists only to serve him? Or is he just the best Deity to represent his Swag personality?

Can Izanami be someone's Persona?

They're representations of the psyche. Much like a lot of things in Persona, it's based on Jungian concepts, specifically the idea of the "collective unconscious" in this case. If Yu was summoning the actual god Izanagi I'm sure Izanami would have had a lot more to say on the subject.

shtkn is in japan and asked if people could post his thoughts on Laprys sooo ill do so and edit as he adds more

-Don't understand how to use labrys. Her persona shoots red laser hung in the shape of gears and arrows

-Mash 5D to shoot multiple arrows. You can attack at the same time. 5C shoots a laser that goes in an infinity sign. Pulls opponent in

-jC is like BB jin's jD but 5 hits. jD is 3 laser gears that go about half screen. Both are slow Not sure what they're for

-2C is a slow set of laser swords. Anti sir I guess? No 2D. 236A/B is extendo arm almost full screen

-6A after extend for short hop jB. 6B after extend for sweep.

Might as well have posted that in the Labrys section, I think? But oh well. I'll copy-paste it over later if you don't first, heh.

Thank him for us if you can, Jourdal. :P

edit: oh, and do 2A/5A and 2B/5B really not chain into each other (ie: 2A>5A or 5A>2A, etc.)?

Does anyone know where I can find a COMPLETELY translated list of all Mitsuru's moves? (Normals included) I want to fix up her gameplay thread, but I don't have any complete information, except for things from location tests.

What do you mean by translated normals? Are you asking for move descriptions?

Her listed normals are...

• 5A
  • 5B
  • 4B&6B
  • 5C

• 2A
    • 2B
    • 2C

• j.A
      • j.B
      • j.C

[*]5D

[*]2D

[*]j.D

Obviously not including throws, her sweep, all-out rush, etc.

Hey I guess be careful with spoilers or whatever, guys. We have a spoiler tag for a reason.

(Pretty old games though so I don't get why it's a big deal.)