Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solex

[CSE] Relius Clover General Discussion "Family Man Extraordinaire"

@C0R: Ok so if renaming to Gameplay Mechanics suit it better? I see some threads with the same name and are just combos listings. The one I posted is basically a cleaner version of the previous thread that was already in here with the tech name on it.

@St1ckbug: I thought you were kidding on twitter about making a guide. I honestly don't know why you would rather write for a outside source instead of contributing it all to DL. Your choice to do what you want though. I copied the style of the wiki because I felt it brings a better presentation to users. The character isnt exactly popular so I figured having something more appealing to look at might bring in more people interested in him. Yea I know we have a wiki page. I already invested time getting his page started in the first place. I still feel the majority of users are going to read the forum before looking at the wiki since that's how it's been for DL. Not like how it is over in games mizuumi covers where it's second nature to look at the wiki first. Just because something is on the wiki doesn't mean we can't use it on the forums as well. :psyduck:

Any other thoughts from people? Toasty?

Toasty, the opponent keeps teching before 214D would hit. Are you ending your combo with just 4D and not 4D>3C?

EDIT: To actually make this make sense, it seems like there's a gap between the tech time and the 214D hitting. Do you have emergency tech off?

I think the way the Technical Discussion thread is presented is basically just a more polished version of what we'd see in other character forums. Sure, it looks like the wiki, but it will still have the move descriptions as well as the frame data; it's just organized more neatly. The descriptions just merely haven't been added yet, but there is space for them under each move, so I think the thread is fine the way it is (unless I'm missing something here).

Toasty, the opponent keeps teching before 214D would hit. Are you ending your combo with just 4D and not 4D>3C?

But you want them to tech before the 214D hits so it hits the second they get up. If you're talking about delay tech, then I tested that out and found out it does indeed make the unblockable whiff, but you should still be able to do 5B -> 6D to continue pressure on the spot. I haven't yet checked if that can be mashed out of, since it's not easy to set the dummy to delay tech and then make it wake up into mashing (the playback keeps causing quick tech).

EDIT- When emergency tech was on, it (the unblockable) worked perfectly.

Wait Dusk... if you're playing Relius then... You didn't tell me any of this!

Dusk been here chilling with the rest of the family for awhile. He's adopted. :P

@St1ckbug: I thought you were kidding on twitter about making a guide. I honestly don't know why you would rather write for a outside source instead of contributing it all to DL. Your choice to do what you want though. I copied the style of the wiki because I felt it brings a better presentation to users. The character isnt exactly popular so I figured having something more appealing to look at might bring in more people interested in him. Yea I know we have a wiki page. I already invested time getting his page started in the first place. I still feel the majority of users are going to read the forum before looking at the wiki since that's how it's been for DL. Not like how it is over in games mizuumi covers where it's second nature to look at the wiki first. Just because something is on the wiki doesn't mean we can't use it on the forums as well. :psyduck:

I won't be revealing any of my mixups/oki until I've tested them out and got a lot of games in. This character's mixup isn't terribly strong and pretty straight forward. It's neutral and doll management that will make him strong.

Here's what I have written up for his normals, specials, and how Ignis works:

================

=Relius Clover Guide=

================

Links to FG termonology

Link to Relius Frame Data

Link to Relius Color Palette

Link to Relius Youtube Guide

==Strengths==

-Good neutral tools.

-OK pressure/mixup/oki with Ignis activated.

-Good damage and corner carry.

==Weaknesses==

-Relies on Ignis for pressure/mixup/damage AND oki, so good meter management is a must have. In a way you are limited in your offense.

-Needs a strong neutral game to be effective.

==Important Stats==

HP: 11,000

Guard Primers: 5

Ignis Guage: 10,000

==Drive: Detonator==

By pressing 5D or jD, Relius will summmon Ignis behind him. While summoned, Ignis will be able to perform D command normals, specials, and distortion drives at the cost of Ignis guage (found right above his heat guage). Ignis can also be summoned by certain specials. When no commands are input and Ignis is summoned, she will float behind Relius and consume guage very slowly at a rate of about 60 points per second (it takes roughly 165 seconds for her gauge to run out completely). When Ignis is desummoned her gauge will start to replenish. If her gauge runs out completely she will enter a 'recharging' state where a red 'X' will apear over her gaguge icon, her gauge will turn grey, and she will stay stationary on the screen but become inactive until all her gauge is replenshished.

==How Relius and Ignis Work==

-Ignis can only be summoned two ways by not performing a special: 5D and jD. Relius cannot perform any other moves while pressing 5D and jD, but he can summon Ignus by canceling any of his normals (except for 6A, 6B, 6C) by pressing 5D or jD. If you press 5D while running he will stop immmediately and summon Ignis. If you summon Ignis while jumping or airdashing he will stop momentarily but retain his momentum after Ignis is summoned. jD can be pressed an unlimited amount of times during a jump.

-Ignis can also be summoned by the 214/j214 followups out of 236C/j236C, as well as by using her stand-alone summon moves: 214A/B/C/D, 236D, and j214A/B. Her 236236D and 632146D distortions summon her as well. Using her stand-alone summons while she isn't active will consume more Ignis gauge than if she were active. For example: inputting 214A while Ignis is summoned will consume 2000 gauge, but the same move while she is not summoned will use 3000. Her followup specials to 236C/j236C will always use the same amount of gauge, regardless of her summon state. A complete table of her normals and specials along with their costs can be found below. The costs are also listed next to the normals and specials in the movelists below.

-During the recovery state where Ignis is floating back to Relius after performing a special or a D normal, any another Ignis special or D normal can be input.

-While Ignis is active, Relius can control her using D normals while doing his own specials, normals, and throws. This is what makes his pressure, combos, and mixup possible. While Relius is performing any of his normals, throws, 236A, or 236C he can control Ignis by inputting any of her D normals. To go along with this, all of Relius's normals on hit or block are special cancellable into summon specials, Ignis D normals, 236C/j236C, and 236A.

-Ignis can be de-summoned a couple ways, with the most common being 5D or jD. Just like summoning her with 5D/jD you cannot input any other commands while desummoning her, but Relius can de-summmon Ignis by cancelling any of his normals (except for 6A, 6B and 6C) by pressing 5D or jD. His momentum will work the same as summoning while de-summoning her as well. After de-summoning her using 5D/jD her meter will stay frozen for about 2 seconds and then begin to replenish very rapidly. It takes about 4 seconds for her meter to fully recover: 2 seconds of meter being frozen and 2 seconds of meter replenishing.

-The second most common way she is de-summoned is when Relius gets hit or techs a throw. Note that it doesn't matter who tech'd the throw: she will always de-summon. After she is de-summoned her gauge will turn blue and slowly replenish for 4 seconds. After those 4 seconds the recharging will change to the same speed as the 5D/jD de-summon.

-The third most common way is when Ignis is hit out of her normals and specials. While Ignis is not performing a normal or special she cannot be hit and she is not a physical body on the screen, but during the startup/active/recovery frames of her moves and specials she can be hit and will be de-summoned if hit. Her meter recovers and acts exactly the same as when Relius gets hit.

=Armor Sub-Section=

-There are a few exceptions to Ignis not being de-summoned when she gets hit:

1). Ignis has armor against all projectiles during all of her specials, summons and D normals.

2). 2D and 236236D have super armor against everything for all start-up, recovery and active frames.

-The last and least common (and undesireable) way to desummon Ignis is by using up all of her gauge: once she comes out of standby she will desummon. If she performs a move that uses Ignis meter than she has left she will 'break' after the move if performed and you won't be able to de-summon her. In this state she cannot move or attack for about 10 seconds while her gauge recharges. Once she recovers from this she will de-summon.

-If Relius blocks any moves while Ignis is performing a move, Ignis will stop the move and float back to behind Relius.

==Relius Normals==

5A: Will wiff all crouchers except for Tager. Used mostly as combo filler.

2A: Hits mid. Not mashable (does not cancel into itself). 7f startup. The proration on this won't really mess up your combo route, but it will hurt the damage.

6A: Overhead that doesn't gatling into any other normals. Can only special cancel into 236C, supers, astral or use Ignis D normals to followup.

5B: Good reach. Your main poke to start combos and pressure with. Extends his hitbox.

2B: Hits low with about the same reach as 5B. Used mainly as a pressure tool.

6B: Up punch. Has a short horizontal hitbox but a tall vertical one. Launches on hit. Only jump-cancellable on hit. Used in combos. So-so anti-air.

5C: Hits twice and jump-cancellable only on hit. Used in combos. Staggers on CH.

2C: Relius's main anti-air. Some head invulnerability. Causes FC. Can only combo with FC when used as an AA. Staggers on ground CH.

6C: Forward advancing punch used mainly in combos. FC properties.

3C: Hits low. His only normal that's jump-cancellable on block. Causes knockdown on airborn opponents. Your main combo-ender.

jA: 3 hit move that hits mid. The longer you hold down A the longer it stays active. If you hold down A the whole tim Relius is in the air, the move will remain active until he lands. Not much use other than combo-filler. It's OK as a jump in but will wiff on all crouchers rising (but it will land one hit on crouching Tager).

jB: His main air attack. Also hits behind him. Used for both air-to-air and air-to-ground. Can be used as a cross-up. Jump cancellable.

jC: Good vertical hitbox. Used for air-to-ground, yet jB is a better jump-in. Mainly used in combos and a jB followup in pressure/mixup. Not jump cancellable.

Forward Throw: Slams the opponent into the ground sending them forward. Special cancellable into 236C, supers, and astral.

Back Throw: Slams the opponent twice sneding them backward. Special cancellable into 236C, supers, and astral.

Air Throw: Grabs the opponent and then bounces them off the ground. Falling jB and jC are your followups to this.

=========Ignis Normals===========

Input (Cost Active/Cost Inactive)

6D (1350/-): Forward punch. Your main tool in pressure. Also used in combos.

2D (2000/-): Double swipe move. Good pressure, mixup and oki tool. See super armor section for more on this move.

4D (1000/-): Up drill that causes wall bounce, similar to Carl's 4D. Used as corner combo ender due to it's untechable time.

j.2D, j.6D, j.8D (1000/-): Makes Ignis rush towards the opponent diagonally downward, horizontally, and diagonally upward, respectively. Combo filler and neutral tool.

=========Specials and Summons==========

Input [Name (Cost Active/Cost Inactive)]

236A [Led Ley (-/-)]: Relius spin move that is invulnerable to hits, but can be thrown. In CH state for 3 frames of recovery. Invulnerable from frame 1. Can control Ignis with D normals while this move is active.

236C/j236C [id Lauger (-/-)]: Ground version summons a large fist out of the ground that blows the enemy away. Unsafe on block but can control Ignis with D normals during it. Can be followed up with 214A on the ground. Air version summons a large fist from his cape that blows the enemy away. Can be followed up with j214A and j214B.

>>> 214A/j214A [Haas (1000/1000)]: Buzz saw followup to both the ground and air versions of 236C, respectively. Buzz saw move. Important in combos. Causes ground slide on hit. Can cancel into other specials and Ignis normals while she is floating back to Relius.

>>> j214B [Naiads (1000/1000)]: Downward drill followup to j236C that tracks the opponent. Your main midscreen aircombo ender. Can also be used mid-combo, but landing followups depends on the opponents height and proration. Can cancel into other specials and Ignis normals while she is floating back to Relius.

214A [Val Lanto (2000/3000)]: Buzz saw summon. Your main tool in neutral to start pressure or approach. Can cancel into other specials and Ignis normals while she is floating back to Relius.

214B [Val Lyra (1500/3000)]: Ignis is summond behind the opponent and performs a slashing move. Staggers on CH. Good against people trying to zone but leaves Relius pretty vulnerable. Can cancel into other specials and Ignis normals while she is floating back to Relius.

214C [Val Tus (1500/3000)]: Ignis advances forward and performs a 3 hit 'dance'. First hit removes a primer. Good for oki and mixup but uses a lot of meter if she isn't already summoned. OTG's and hits opponents out of rolls. Leads to huge damage.

j214B [bel Lafino (1500/3000)]: Ignis is summoned in front of Relius and performs a downward drill attack a lot like the j236C > j214B followup, only this doesn't track the opponent. Last hit removes a primer. No real use other than to cover yourself while falling towards the opponent or stop your momentum.

214D [Geara Act (1500/3500)]: Ignis is summoned above Relius and performs a diving overhead drill attack. Not much use since it launches on hit and is very slow. Removes a primer.

236D [Geara Nose (1500/3500)]: Ignis is summoned behind Relius and performs a low yo-yo type attack that hits 8 times. Only hits low on the first hit. Breaks a primer on the first hit.

==Distortion Drives and Astral==

632146C [Req Vinum (-/-)]: Relius summons a number of gears from the ground and creates a field that hits the opponent in place. Invulnerable on startup so it can be used as a reversal, but it is unsafe on block. Does very little damage. Relius can move and perform moves while the distortion is active.

632146D [Vol Tedo (1000/1000)]: Ignis is summoned behind Relius and Performs a large punch that, when hits, puts to opponent into a black ball and then blows them away. Fast startup, good damage, and your main super to put onto the end of combos. 1050 minimum damage.

236236D [Duo Bios (1500/1500)]: Exactly like Carl's Rhapsody distortion. Ignis advances forward while punching. Relius can move freely while this distortion is active. Good for mixup/pressure but the proration is bad. First hit removes a primer.

214214D [Alter of Puppet (-/-)]: Relius's astral that has a different ending animation depending on the character. Can be combo'd into.

Take and use what you want. I think a technical thread should be used as an overview of how he should be played with explanations of his move set and and special rules he has (in this case Ignis). A table of his proration values, frame data and gatling chart will be in the frame data portion of the site and should just be linked in the guide. Hitboxes should only be on the wiki page, since it will just clutter the thread.

Next should come a guide to pressure/oki/mixup. But I'm not going to publish any of that yet. BTW, if any of this information is wrong feel free to change it. I think one of the move names might be wrong or switched so someone should double-check that. I think combos and combo theory should be posted in the guide as well instead of in a separate thread, but that's just my opinion.

Also, some of the stuff in here is just my general opinion about moves and when they should be used or used at all. I can understand if people have different uses for them and would want to make some changes.

Also Kurushii on the revolver action table it doesnt say if j.A,B, or C are jump cancellable.

Oops. Wow no one noticed that before LOL. Only j.A and j.B are On Hit. Thanks for noticing that.

Take and use what you want. I think a technical thread should be used as an overview of how he should be played with explanations of his move set and and special rules he has (in this case Ignis). A table of his proration values, frame data and gatling chart will be in the frame data portion of the site and should just be linked in the guide. Hitboxes should only be on the wiki page, since it will just clutter the thread.

Next should come a guide to pressure/oki/mixup. But I'm not going to publish any of that yet. BTW, if any of this information is wrong feel free to change it. I think one of the move names might be wrong or switched so someone should double-check that. I think combos and combo theory should be posted in the guide as well instead of in a separate thread, but that's just my opinion.

Also, some of the stuff in here is just my general opinion about moves and when they should be used or used at all. I can understand if people have different uses for them and would want to make some changes.

Thanks St1ckbug. The Gatling Chart I'll remove once his Frame Data page is made. The tables with some of his frame data i'm going to keep in unless a lot of people feel it's too much. Where you see Hitbox in the tables is just going to be a quick link to the specific moves hitbox from the hitbox section of the site. The only images of hitboxes I plan on using when it is available is replacing the current graphics of moves with. Once again if enough people don't like them i'll take it down and make the guide more simple like what you wrote already. I took note of your suggestion on a combo category and added it in. I don't want to do a huge combo listing as I rather have that in it's own thread to fill up, but keeping the best bnb's and combo theory in the thread I agree with. Once again thanks for the input and contributing the write up for us to use.

my god i'm starting to hate playing relius sometimes

you have a few moments of all out offense but lose so much once your doll is gone

and his mixup isn't that great unless you get knockdown!

CH Only Normal to Normal:

CH 5B > 5A

CH 5B > 2A

CH 6B > 5A

CH 6B > 5B

CH 6B > 2A

CH 6B > 2B

CH 6B > 2C

CH 6B > 6B

CH 6B > 3C

CH 3C > 5B

CH 3C > 5C

CH 3C > 2A

CH 3C > 2B

CH 3C > 2C

CH 3C > 6B

CH 3C > 3C

------------------------------------------

CH Only Normal to Special:

CH 5B > 214A

CH 5C > 214A

CH 2C > 214A

CH 6A > 214A

CH 6B > 214A

CH 6C > 214A

CH 3C > 214A

CH 6B > 214B

CH 2C > 214B [Only as AA]

CH 2C > 214C [Only as AA]

CH 2C > 214D [Only as AA]

CH Only Normal to Special to Normal:

CH 2C > 214B > 5A

CH 2C > 214B > 5B

CH 2C > 214B > 2A

CH 3C > 214B > 3C

CH 3C > 214C > 3C

CH 3C > 214D > 3C [useless without RC at end]

CH 3C > 236D > 3C

CH Only Normal to DD:

CH 5A > 632146C

CH 2A > 632146C

CH 5A > 632146D

CH 2C > 236236D

CH 6B > 236236D [After 2nd hit the DD drops]

CH 6C > 236236D

CH Only Normal to DD to Normal:

CH 3C > 236236D > 3C [After 2nd hit the DD drops]

Throw this out here for people to look at:

Large or Small

Wow, I think a large majority of his palettes look so good. Carl's pale in comparison. Why didnt they give the son the same treatment? Thanks kurushii.

For those of you who can play, do you make use of ledlay-ignis attack a lot? I mean I personally think it's gawdlike. It's a perfect counter-attack combination. It can be used to bait burst/DPs, as an AA, and make your opponent think twice about pressuring you. I mean even if it is baited as long as ignis attacks you'll be safe unless she gets hit out of startup which can be hard to do considering she's behind relius.

Too often when the situation arises that I can led ley a attack she isn't out. When she is out yea it's a great tool as long as the person doesn't grab you before she connects.

For the Technical Guide, don't you mean 4D is similar to Carl's 623D? Carl's 4D is the super-armored double smack.

Oh, and also, does 214D have actual overhead properties? It's not really what you meant there. :o

For the Technical Guide, don't you mean 4D is similar to Carl's 623D? Carl's 4D is the super-armored double smack.

Oh, and also, does 214D have actual overhead properties? It's not really what you meant there. :o

Yea, corrected the 4D. 214D is a OH, just a crappy one unless used for oki.

Yo, I mashed out this combo and I'm wondering of it's practicality/optimal quality.

Ignis already summoned.

5b > 5c > 3c > 2d > sj.b > j.c > j.9d > dj.b > j.236c > j.214b.

About 3k.

On the technical guide, I see that 2A doesn't gatling into itself. I'm pretty sure you can do it 2 more times after the first.

Ignis already summoned.

About 3k.

So DM-3169 / HG-31 / IC-4000

Not bad even though I prefer to drop 5C out, change 2D to 6D. So have something more like this:

[ignis Starter] 5B > 3C > 6D > j.B > j.C > j.8D > land > sj.B > j.8D > j.236C > j.214B > ad [DM-3129 / HG-29 / IC-4325]

Gains more corner carry and better oki positioning.

On the technical guide, I see that 2A doesn't gatling into itself. I'm pretty sure you can do it 2 more times after the first.

Fixed. Thanks for noticing.

Yo, I mashed out this combo and I'm wondering of it's practicality/optimal quality.

Ignis already summoned.

About 3k.

If you want a 3k-ish midscreen combo, then I'd recommend this:

5B -> 3C -> (delay) 6D -> falling jC -> 5C(1) -> sjB -> JC -> jC -> 236C -> 214B

It doesn't use very much of Ignis' meter, but the timing can be kinda tricky to get used to. You have to let them drop pretty low to the ground after the 3C, and you have to jump cancel it at the same time you input the 6D. If you don't delay it enough, the 5C will whiff. Also the falling jC has to be done low to the ground.

The 5B can be substituted with any starter (like 5B -> 5C, or 5B -> 2B for example) as long as the 3C connects.

It might be character-specific, since I haven't yet tested it on everyone.

Alright, I tested out and refined the combo on everyone, and it works on everyone at just about any range (as long as the 3C connects) if you do this:

(starter) -> 3C -> (very slight delay) 6D -> falling jC -> 6B -> sjB -> JC -> jC -> 236C -> 214B

On Carl and Arakune, the 6B becomes very difficult to connect at farther ranges. To work around this problem, you can do a very short dash after landing from the jC so the 6B will connect.

I recommend only spending one jump in combos midscreen, though, if you're gonna end with j.214B. j.214B ender sends them about an airdash away, so only using one jump means you can stay in their face more easily by airdashing in after your combo.

I don't know Carl's inputs so i just guessed. I didn't even feel like checking it. This is why I like to post things and have people double check :>

Throw this out here for people to look at:

Large or Small

Large.

Wow, I think a large majority of his palettes look so good. Carl's pale in comparison. Why didnt they give the son the same treatment? Thanks kurushii.

For those of you who can play, do you make use of ledlay-ignis attack a lot? I mean I personally think it's gawdlike. It's a perfect counter-attack combination. It can be used to bait burst/DPs, as an AA, and make your opponent think twice about pressuring you. I mean even if it is baited as long as ignis attacks you'll be safe unless she gets hit out of startup which can be hard to do considering she's behind relius.

If you used 5B > 236A > 6D as a hitconfirm you're making the combo burst safe at the start, which is usually when people rage burst. You can also use it to bait DP's like you said. It's also an alright way out of pressure if you 236A > 2D since they won't be able to hit you unless they somehow get through 2D and hit you during the recovery of 236A (which CAN happen, btw). Also, if you're ever using 6C > 4D in combos, you can do 6C > 236A > 4D instead to make that part of the combo burst safe.

Ignis already summoned.

About 3k.

It's not that great of a combo, no offense, but 3C > 2D is a good auto-hitconfirm for people just starting out.

Air-dash combos tend to get you more corner carry for lower Ignis cost. Midscreen you won't be too concerned about doing max damage but rather pushing them to the corner without sacrificing too much Ignis gauge. But I think even this strategy will change (somewhat) with some match-ups. Probably characters with good neutral.

Greeting Relius board! After viewing a few videos making use of the 6b > 6c >236a … combos I decided to see what I could find. These combos work midscreen and carry to the corner while dealing good damage but also use a crazy amount of Ignis meter. If these have already been posted somewhere then I apologize for redundant information.

---

Ignis must be summoned

5b > 2c > 2d > ! > 6b > 6c > 214a > 66 sj > j.b > j.c > j.8d > dj.c > dj.8d > j.236c > j.214b > 2c > 236c > 214a > 3c > ( 632146 c or D )

! Bonus: Can add a led lay (236a) for some extra style.

Ignis Cost : 8000

Heat Gained: 58

( 3c end combo > 4250 )

( Req Vinum end combo > 4600 )

( Vol Tedo end combo >5282 )

Note: you can substitute the 1st 2c for 5c and possibly other moves.

---

6b > 6c > 214a > 66 sj> j.b > j.c > j.8d > dj.c > dj.8d > j.216c > j.214b> 2c > 6c > 4d > 2c > 6c > 4d > 3c > ( 632146 c or D )

Ignis cost: 7000 (8000)

Heat Gained: 58

( 3c end > 4736 )

( Req Vinum end > 5128 )

( Vol Tedo end > 5771 )

---

Final Notes:

Damage tested on Mu.

The timing and damage seems to fluctuate from the few characters I have tried this on.

Not sure how useful ending in Req Vinum will be. It is added to the result for the possibility of being able to regen some Ignis meter. ( Not sure if this is possible )

No additional attacks were used after the activation of Req Vinum.

Due to the high Ignis cost these probably won’t be too viable and could probably be optimized to reduce the Ignis cost to damage ratio. (For example you can save at least 1000 meter by omitting the second j.8d in both combos.) Despite this, I desired to contribute and hope that it can help in some form or fashion.

EDIT: Fixed a few small errors in the notation.