Sign in to follow this  
Xie

Beginner Mode - The BlazBlue Mechanics Discussion Show! (Character Tutorial Mode)

people don't necessarily react off of the very first hit that they land (unless they have amazing reactions), so most people usually throw out a couple moves or more in sequence. that way, the player doesn't have to rely on their reactions as much.

In regards to reacting to a hit and going into a combo, it varies largely on the type Of hit it is. Some attacks are easy to confirm from one hit, and others are not. If you are just staring out, discover which of your attacks are difficult to confirm on one hit in advance to your next game session and add extra attacks for those specially, but try to hitconfirm the best you can normally.

With that out of the way, onto today's post!

Comiket killed all of my stamina and I spent all but 500 of my yen. So I went the tournament without eating or drinking anything lol. As you expect, this is kind of a prelude to a bad session, but I think I was still able to learn plenty with the 500 yen that remained.

My team for the 3v3 was momoiro, two girls and myself... Making us a team of four. We faced Mitsurugi's team first again, so I was just like, okay I can't escape my fate. We then got ocv'd by their first player, a Noel player. Momoiro did decently, but every on my team lost extremely soundly. Oh well, we were doomed anyways!

Next up the was a 16v16 alpha vs tachikawa net play event. Apparently tachikawa had technical I issues so the progrress was slowed. I went 2nd and took out 4 people before losing to a Tao. I was a little bit sad I was so early,as there were still many strong players left on the tachikawa side. It ended up going down to the last player with mitsurugi vs Minami, well, mitsurugi is too strong so he won out.

I fought kimura a good deal tonight. He presses all the buttons all the time. In that regard, from an experience perspective, he's showed me what kind of character litchi is.

I fought dora in a ft3 gachi. As expected he wrecked my shit and astralled me. His screen presence is really something else, I'm going to need to think hard about my overall movement and spacing if i want to beat him next time. With only two weeks left, can I reach that level in time...?

No more blazblue tonight, as its new years and I'm going to visit my aunt. Tomorrow I'm going to akiba for leftover doujin, so maybe I'll stop at club sega for some games. I want to go to Nagoya or Chiba pretty soon...

Edited by Xie

You did really well in that 16v16, I got really hype, so hype that I got tired like an idiot again. I need to stop going to Alpha with nothing on my stomach - makes me sleepy until I eat.

Also, who was that Hazama player that finished the 16v16 and destroyed me? I felt like I was leveling up a little while fighting him, but I need a lot of practice to get any better against pressure among other things. His color seemed really familiar too.

That's Mitsurugi lol. He's probably the best hazama in the world, lol.
Is the Mitsurugi you're talking about the same Mitsurugi that plays Zappa in GG?

He's also a god with Hazama. Out of about 4 or 5 games I played against him I was only able to take one round. He perfected me several times during those matches as well. His chain game is pretty tight, and he does j.214B loops like he's doing Hell's Fang.

Damn, I want to play him some more!

It's strong players like him, who inspire me to get better myself. I really should start saving up for a trip to Japan later this year.

Yeah the same mitsurugi who plays green Zappa. He's the Green Monster.

In speaking of colors, Dora uses his color because in CT bangs purple color had some similar motiffs with his chipp color and no one else was using that color. After purple became associated with "Dora" he just kept using it.

Important quote: "...but a domi burst is beautiful. It's done at the top of the screen so that everyone can behold its marvelous beauty." -satoshi

I would definitely recommend it. The BlazBlue community here is extremely strong, and you can always get better playing against insanely strong characters.

In regards to reacting to a hit and going into a combo, it varies largely on the type Of hit it is. Some attacks are easy to confirm from one hit, and others are not. If you are just staring out, discover which of your attacks are difficult to confirm on one hit in advance to your next game session and add extra attacks for those specially, but try to hitconfirm the best you can normally.

With that out of the way, onto today's post!

Comiket killed all of my stamina and I spent all but 500 of my yen. So I went the tournament without eating or drinking anything lol. As you expect, this is kind of a prelude to a bad session, but I think I was still able to learn plenty with the 500 yen that remained.

My team for the 3v3 was momoiro, two girls and myself... Making us a team of four. We faced Mitsurugi's team first again, so I was just like, okay I can't escape my fate. We then got ocv'd by their first player, a Noel player. Momoiro did decently, but every on my team lost extremely soundly. Oh well, we were doomed anyways!

Next up the was a 16v16 alpha vs tachikawa net play event. Apparently tachikawa had technical I issues so the progrress was slowed. I went 2nd and took out 4 people before losing to a Tao. I was a little bit sad I was so early,as there were still many strong players left on the tachikawa side. It ended up going down to the last player with mitsurugi vs Minami, well, mitsurugi is too strong so he won out.

I fought kimura a good deal tonight. He presses all the buttons all the time. In that regard, from an experience perspective, he's showed me what kind of character litchi is.

I fought dora in a ft3 gachi. As expected he wrecked my shit and astralled me. His screen presence is really something else, I'm going to need to think hard about my overall movement and spacing if i want to beat him next time. With only two weeks left, can I reach that level in time...?

No more blazblue tonight, as its new years and I'm going to visit my aunt. Tomorrow I'm going to akiba for leftover doujin, so maybe I'll stop at club sega for some games. I want to go to Nagoya or Chiba pretty soon...

Dora bodied me too lol, any players that were higher than 225-230 PSR was just "wtf do I do".

Hey James is there anything specific that Japanese players do compared to the American players you've fought?

I realize the question is extremely broad but can you just try to answer it to your best ability?

I guess this goes for you too Lord Knight

If I can ask too, in what ways does Dora's bang instill the fear of God that mine doesn't? Specific moves or general strengths, if you can.

Asking because I know Dora is way, way better than me, and I haven't had the privilege to play him to compare on my own.

Yeah the same mitsurugi who plays green Zappa. He's the Green Monster.

In speaking of colors, Dora uses his color because in CT bangs purple color had some similar motiffs with his chipp color and no one else was using that color. After purple became associated with "Dora" he just kept using it.

Important quote: "...but a domi burst is beautiful. It's done at the top of the screen so that everyone can behold its marvelous beauty." -satoshi

Hah @ Domi Burst. Domi, father of Canada!

After a short break, I'm at acho. Wasnt much action in Nagoya the past two days, but acho has a ranbat tonight!

@dacidbro and walljumpman, I'm still thinking about the answer to your questions. I'll probably be able to answer them before I return in a long post.

Just want to say, these videos have been helpful in covering small holes in my game mechanics knowledge. Also, someone needs to compile a video of all the scenes with you drinking water. XD

Last night was acho ranbat. I made it to 600 psr! The road to 666 is still very far, but maybe it's possible in the remaining time?

In the tournament itself, I lost to Esuke Carl and bab jin. Esuke is very strong, I was able to take a round from him, but the he alters his approach and timing completely, changing what the correct movement countermeasure. Very, very subtle matchup. Bab Jin was someone I could have beaten, but he rattled me with his correctly executed resets and I lost. It's worth mentioning that I did beat one person, lol.

As for casuals, nezu is strong as expected. I think the Tokyo bangs are stronger overall, but nezu has the ability to one chance very easily with frkz. I almost beat him the first game but he did random hail Mary 3c and it hit orz.

There were a ridiculous number of 600-700 litchi players. I wasn't able to win cleanly once. Jump d into riichi staff junk or recall into air dash jump normal was absurdly strong. I need to think about how positioning works in that matchup, because right now I keep letting people get in for free, which eventually leads to me eating 6a or 4d.

There were a lot of 600-700 players of other chars as well. Rachel j.a is largely unblockable for me, bubble oki has a 0% chance of working ATM, I need to see of there is some setup to bait quick tech wind with.

I watched the 700+ platinum play a bunch of games. I don't feel like we are very different ATM aside from not having 2800 games played, but I need to compare the more subtle aspects, like jump height, spacing, and item choice when I get a chance to, if I ever see him again, lol. Still plenty to learn!

Tonight is kouhatsu. Roppou tomorrow looks kinda iffy on my schedule, but I'll do my best to go!

Kouhatsu last night was fun. I think I lost over 30 games to the top players in total, lol.

In the tournament, I beat utero ragna, then lost to gareo tager (777 psr lol).

Overall, jäger Rachel, pet tager, bob bang, Tsukasa lambda were all very strong. I went around 4-5 games before winning one.

Also, it was good seeing HeartNana at the event. He beat me twice before I had to leave, I wanted to stay longer to understand the matchup better, but I had to catch the last train bak to Nagoya.

As I write this, Im waiting for my turn at game sky. I missed the tournament cause I overslept, so I'm just gonna focus on casuals.

Did I close my own thread after that post? No idea. Anyhow, Game Sky yesterday was good. We got yakinuku afterwards. Actually I have no idea what most of the things I put in my mouth were, but it was delicious enough.

I can't really say I actually played that many games because there were a ton of people. I stayed away from the stream setup after dying once horribly to the jin player. I couldn't IB jin's 6b on the blue viewlix, so I was pretty much doomed.

In thinking about my progress as a player since I've gotten here, I feel as though I've matured a lot in applying my own thinking paradigms, but I haven't fully matured in a way that will allow me to clinch full games versus extremely strong players. Yesterday, I had no problem taking it to the 3rd round down to the wire versus some very strong players, but in those situations I tended to still lose in the end. A missed opportunity here or there due to my immature offense/defense/neutral game often ended up costing me the match. Well, with little less than a week remaining, I don't think I'll be able to fully mature as a player, but I can at least see the afterimage of the player I hope to be someday.

Kubo plays Relius now. He's pretty good, but I don't think he was overwhelmingly strong. Well, I only got to play him once so I can't say much more than that.

Tsujikawa is into Umineko, also his Tao is strong. Tao as a whole is still a mysterious matchup to me, given we have few in America. After between all of the Tao players I've played though, he is definitely the most solid overall.

MAVEN is a pretty strong Platinum player, I definitely was able to see practical combo theory application by watching him, though not much else in terms of matchups and spacing/defense. Our actual matches were close, but I never actually was able to clinch a game from him in the couple that we played. It seems we make a lot of the same mistakes in certain situations, so I wonder if we are seeing the same thing in the same situations? In any case, there's a huge stream archive now, so I'll probably timeshift it when I get back to America and rewatch it.

Never got to fight Mame Valkenhayn or Aru Hazama. Didn't play Chou either, but he's a super cool guy.

Maybe today they'll show up at Port24? There's a freeplay time from 5:00 to 10:00 for only 500 yen, given I'm running pretty low, I'm gonna hop on that.

Edited by Xie

Xie, This is Chaz from NYC. How long will you be in Japan? I live in Tokyo it would be good to meet up and be able to get some games in with you before you leave. If you have a phone hit me up I'll PM you my number.