Sign in to follow this  
Xie

Beginner Mode - The BlazBlue Mechanics Discussion Show! (Character Tutorial Mode)

You should find and fight some good Arakunes, let them know we need them right now to represent.

@atdsutm: The best Lambda player I have fought is probably one in the Kanto region. Actually I didn't really catch his name, but he plays the slate color and he has like 790 psr. The way he moves and throws swords is probably the best. After that is probably Tsukasa, Tsukasa is pretty much a "Just Do It" playstyle, but it lets him play very confidently, so facing him and his custom combos is pretty scary (when he finishes them).

@Syke: I've played Fumo and Souji, and like a bunch of random ones from 150~600 psr. Souji doesn't play in tournaments, but he's a god. Fumo is also very good, but mortal, so he's defeatable.

Today's Post: I went to freeplay time at Port24. Some good players like Whistler and Maven showed up, so I ended up throwing away like 20-30 games to them trying to get better at the respective matchup. Again, I feel like I'm just a little bit behind these players and I could start winning more matches if I could just make my gameplay slightly better, but I keep failing to clinch the win in the end. Whistler says after I remember the EX combos, I'll probably be more equal on footing, so maybe I should just buy a console version today and grind netplay today?

Ragna is still a matchup that remains a mystery for me, especially in terms of neutral. I was doing okay against most of the Ragna players, including the WORLD CHAMPION JIYUNA (AMERIKAJIN), but there was this random 600 psr Ragna that I couldn't even take a round off of. Something about the way he played the neutral game prevented me from doing like, anything. There's probably some kind of distancing that greatly favored his gameplay that I wasn't able to make sense of. Next time, I'll try to create more space and/or shorten the gap to see if I can get better results in neutral.

I've noticed a bad habit in myself, which is when I use 6a sometimes, I will dash into it, causing it to whiff. 6a is really meant to be used from a hanging back position, so I really need to fix that to make my anti-air game better, especially vs IAD attacks.

The Tager matchup has really shown itself to be a really annoying one, and I think it ends up as one regardless of what character you play. I've more or less gotten the hang of it now having played infinite 700 PSR tagers nearly the exact same way, so maybe when I head back to Tachikawa, I can fight Akira and see how much of that matchup I really understand.

Today, I have absolutely no plans. I woke up late on top of that. So... maybe I will just grind netplay and combos today in preparation to return to Tokyo. I'm going to do Game Chariot on Wednesday, Alpha on Thursday, no plan on Friday right now (but maybe Tachikawa again?), then return to the US on Saturday.

If you could, could you describe how they fought against you? The Arakune players, namely Souji?

@atdsutm: The best Lambda player I have fought is probably one in the Kanto region. Actually I didn't really catch his name, but he plays the slate color and he has like 790 psr. The way he moves and throws swords is probably the best. After that is probably Tsukasa, Tsukasa is pretty much a "Just Do It" playstyle, but it lets him play very confidently, so facing him and his custom combos is pretty scary (when he finishes them).

is it possible to get some match footage of them versus you(or anyone). preferably versus ragna/Jin/bang and valkenhayn?

Is 100 yen a game the standard over there? If so, I'm kind of surprised. How do a lot of them afford to play like 3000+ games? Is the age group generally older or younger than what you'd expect in the US?

100 yen is the standard. Most people just have jobs, and players are like 20+ years oldfrom what I saw.

And even then, when you win you stay correct? players that have (Games)xN most likely have high psr and have been winning a majority of them.

Even with jobs, I'm surprised most people don't just go play for free on their consoles. It certainly killed our own American arcades.

players that have (Games)xN most likely have high psr and have been winning a majority of them.

PSR in japanese arcades still works a lot like before, in that PSR doesn't really measure wins. you could have played 3000 games and lose half of them and you'd still probably end up with the same PSR as someone who's won 85% of his 500 or so games.

prime example would be, well, every bandwagon ragna player in existence.

Yea, from what I noticed in EX JP ranked it was like ~6 points for winning, ~3 points lost for losing, if you lose repeatedly it actually will take away no points for a bit.

I am sick as hell. I went to Goi Game Chariot against my better instincts and almost died. Its bad to go places where it snows when you are sick.

I lost to Buppa first round. His ragna is solid but not the best I've faced in japan or anything. I beat his lambda in casuals. He had an outrageous 790 psr, but yeah, not overwhelmingly strong in terms of lambda.

In terms of recording footage, its no go mostly, I have no camera, so do the math there.

I'm still sick and I'm at alpha again. I'm vs kazehira first round, apparently stunedge and mynus are coming, so it should be fun.

Still sick. Alpha yesterday was fun as always, after the tournament we went to a family restaurant and ate.

In the tournament, I actually got 2nd. I beat kazehira and a tager, then lost to ryuusei in the finals. I played like shit in the finals as I just finished a fit of sneezing, so given I even took a round was a bit of a miracle. Ryuusei is still in high school apparently, you other high schoolers need to step it up!

Met up with stunedge and mynus and played a few games. Syunedge easily caught me the most with all these crazy unsafe Jin tricks, which made me a little sad. Hirensou into the corner always incited a rage burst from me, lol. Mynus played very well considering the time he put into the game. I definitely had the advantage in terms of matchup exp, but man, I still can't block 6a.

Dinner had some good topics. It was funny listening to satoshi talk about how he and kazunoko go out to eat about once per month and try to convince each other to play each other's games. He shit on sf4 a lot, I gotta type that up when I'm not on a smart phone.

Met Yoshiki, who is probably the best lambda in kanto. He sad goro is better than him, but yeah, who knows. If you lambda players have questions, he is on twitter~

I'm on the train to Tachikawa right now. This will probably be my last tournament before I return. I will probably make one more post then write a long reflection post. If you have any further questions you would like me to address, let me know.

Don't know if it was asked, but what are your opinions about the japanese jins and who did you feel was the strongest currently? And whats the general consensus on who are the best characters amongst the arcade players. Thanks in advance.

Last post before I make a fully reflective post. Tachikawa tournament just ended and I am on the long train ride back.

In the tournament, it was 3v3 random teams, and I was teamed up with Jun mu and shouta hazama. I went first and lost to Keba mu. My lack of that extremely high level mu experience really showed there, as I played fine the first round when he did normal mu stuff, but then as his choices became more strange to me, I was sort of lost as to what to do and lost the next two rounds pretty badly. Keba was paired up with yenge jin and kuresu tsubaki, after a couple close games kuresu won it for his team vs Jun mu. They went on to take 2nd, but I can't but feel it was my fault there.

I played a lot of games vs various people to round out the night. Akira tager is really scary as hell. He is always on point in his decision making, making him very scary for any player who isn't an S class player.

I fought some litchi who used a black color with 730 psr and did decently, winning twice before losing once. I don't know if i really understand the match up better or anything, but those were probably my best games of the night. I'm still not fully clear on what happens when I instant barrier certain attacks, like litchi 6d, so something I want to try immediately when I get back.

I have a lot of trouble with Hakumen still. Peoples play style with him varies so much and everything can lead to game changing damage, so that's a match up I need to look at carefully in the future.

As for Jin, I can't say this match up is very good for Platinum, as its largely unchanged since CS2. Jin is a character I definitely don't sleep on at high level, and his reset and plain mix up game still lets him play relatively safe, forcing the opponent to kind of go out on a limb to get out.When cornered by him, hirensou is super scary, so switching sides becomes kind of a game of life or death.

As for the best Jin, I have no idea. I faced plenty but the one that stood out the most was the player at Game Sky. I didn't catch his name, but he probably gave me the most trouble. As for who the japanese thing is the best jin, I also

don't know.

All in all, Japan BlazBlue is great. I wish I had mastered my character before I came, as I drop games to dropped combos and messed up mixups and blockstrings, but I learned a lot about mentality and my general spacing laws. I finished at 600 per with like a 40% or lower win rate, so its fairly clear the types of opponents I forced myself to constantly play. I think if i continued to play until about 1000 or so games, I could have reached a much higher level of play, but I did what I could in 3 weeks. Great fun was had!

Edited by Xie

Thoughts on Tsubaki at neutral, since as far as I can tell, every single one of her old neutral tools has been nerfed to heck?

Akira is not a girl, confirmed. So people can stfu about it.

Met Yoshiki, who is probably the best lambda in kanto. He sad goro is better than him, but yeah, who knows. If you lambda players have questions, he is on twitter~

can you link his twitter account and wait.... does he understand engrish??!!?!

My lack of that extremely high level mu experience really showed there, as I played fine the first round when he did normal mu stuff, but then as his choices became more strange to me, I was sort of lost as to what to do and lost the next two rounds pretty badly.

Uwaaaa!

You will have to tell me some things next time we meet.

With regards to Tsubaki, is a lot more like a normal character in terms of spacing. I could write you a long winded response about it, but just trust me that between 5a/5b/22a combined with her move speed and anti-air game gives her plenty to work with when she has no install. When she has one install stocked, her options greatly increase to auto win levels vs some attacks; food for thought.

Skye, Akira is the commentator for tachikawa and has been for years. How the fuck did that rumor even start.

Atdsutm, he does not speak any English as far as I know. His twitter Id is nao_isloved.

C0r, I would have said just watch the tachikawa vids, but they lost the recordings of everything except semi and grand finals. Well, keba is still in the finals though.

Akira is the tachikawa commentator?

Wow the more you know?

Any info on Akira?

If he understands english then maybe I can make use out of his info.