Fluck

List and Discussion of Blazblue Option Selects

Hi, I recently had an urge to learn more about OSes in BB so I decided I might as well maintain a public list here on Dustloop so that everyone can share their knowledge to increase the community's general level of play. I really hope we can get a comprehensive list. OSes aren't as important in BB as in games like SF but it's always good to level up your game in whatever way is possible.

List:

Universal Option Selects

Barrier Tech

Input: 4/1 A+B+C

Explanation: Pressing A+B+C allows you to automatically tech throws within a certain window. If the opponent attacks, you'll barrier block instead.

Counter: Throw Reject Miss will allow the opponent to purple throw you during blockstun after the throw break window if he sees the barrier. He can also do a green throw instead, but it's possible to jump out of that if you know it's coming.

Misc.: You can fake the OS if your opponent is punishing it by doing a a normal short barrier block. If he purple throws you, you can tech and get out. This won't work if he likes to do green throws instead. Also note that the window to successfully break a throw is much smaller than if you had tried to break the throw normally. (3f window compared to 13f)

Barrier Tech CA

Input: 1 A+B+C 6A+B. Can be altered with 236A+B or any other inputs that end in 6 like 41236.

Explanation: Will automatically tech throws with the barrier tech. If put in blockstun, CA will activate. If opponent chooses to block, 6B (or 236B etc. depending on input) will come out.

Counter: CA can be baited. You can be hit out of your 6B or other moves if the opponent does a delayed attack.

Misc.:

Anti-forward roll OS

Input: Varies from character to character. Hazama can do 214214B. Makoto can do 214214D~A+B (plinking A+B after D).

Explanation: If the opponent forward rolls, he crosses you up and your reverse inputs activate. Hazama will do Jayoku Houtenjin and Makoto will do Particle Flare. If he neutral techs, he has to block Hazama's 5B, while Makoto will Kara cancel 5D into Barrier.

Counter: Will not work on late rolls. Does nothing to beat back rolls or wake-up DPs.

Misc.:

Cross-up Barrier/j.B

Input: 96 (Instant Air Dash) j.3AB after the air dash is completed, crossing up the opponent.

Explanation: After a knockdown, input the OS. If the opponent does a wake-up DP or attacks, you will air barrier block the attack. If he chooses to backdash, he will cross you up again and you will catch him with j.B. It's also possible to beat back rolls.

Counter: Forward rolls let the opponent get out for free. Certain DDs done backwards will also win

Misc.: Whether or not this OS beats back rolls depends on the character's j.B.

Non-universal Option Selects

Barrier/DP against cross-ups

Input: 4214 A+B+D. Only doable for characters with D DPs.

Explanation: On cross-up, DP activates and beats the attack. On non-crossup, you will barrier block the attack with one of the 4 inputs.

Counter: Cross-up barrier block will allow the opponent to block the DP and punish. The DP won't work on some moves like Jin's j.236D.

Misc.: The OS doesn't work for characters with C DPs because the game will prioritize throw over the DP input.

OS against wake-up Gold Burst (and Rehhyou)

Note that Bang has a better variant of this OS against Gold Burst.

Input: Variable. 2A 4B works for everyone except Lambda and Rachel. If your 5A hits crouching you can do 5A 1A or 2A 4A.

Explanation: If your opponent does a Gold Burst on wake-up, the meaty 2A will whiff and the gatlinged 5B will not come out. The 4 input will make you block the Gold Burst instead. If the opponent blocks, you can confirm that with those 2 moves and continue into a blockstring.

Works on: Jin's 623C and gold bursts. It will work on Jin's 623D if you time your meaty 2A to within 1-2 frames. It also works on Astrals.

Counter: No specific counter.

Misc.: You can do 2A 1B instead if you're afraid that you will mess up the meaty 2A. That will beat Fubuki B even if Jin manages to get it out.

OS against Makoto's wake-up

Input: Many characters can do their 2B 5B, but it varies. Carl's 2B is very good for this.

Explanation: A meaty low move like Carl's 2B will cause Makoto's DP to whiff if spaced right, because the character's hurtbox is not in range. The 5B gatling will not happen and you can recover and punish the DP. If Makoto blocks, you can confirm the 2B 5B into a block string. Wake-up parry loses to low attacks.

Works on: Makoto.

Counter: Backdashing can beat the OS. It will also not work on Particle Flare.

Misc.: The difficulty of the spacing is dependent on the move. It's a lot harder to do it with Noel's 2B than Carl's.

Character Option Selects

Ragna

2A/22C after techable knockdown

Input: 22A~C

Explanation: After a techable knockdown, Ragna will do a 2A if they choose to emergency tech. If they choose not to, he will instead pick them up with 22C for a blue beat combo.

Misc.:

Tsubaki

22D Cancel

Input: A special into 22C~D. For example, 214D 22C~D.

Explanation: On block, Tsubaki will be unable to do 22C and will cancel whatever special she's doing into 22D instead, making the attack safe. On hit, 22C will come out and you can follow up with a combo.

Misc.:

DP Cancel

Input: 623A/D 236A~D 214A~D

Explanation: On block, Tsubaki will be unable to cancel into the A versions and the D versions of the moves will come out, making you really plus on block. On hit, Tsubaki will combo into the A versions normally.

Misc.:

Bang

OS against wake-up Gold Burst

Input: 2A 5B 6D 2B, pianoing everything from 5B with some gap in 2A.

Explanation: The wake-up Gold Burst will make the 2A whiff and the gatlinged 5B will not come out. Instead, Bang will do 6D and guard point the Gold Burst and punish it. If the opponent chooses to block normally, the 5B gatling will happen and 6D will not activate because it is inputted during the start-up frames of 5B. Bang will then gatling to 2B to continue pressure.

Misc.: It's a better variant of the universal OS because this punishes the Gold Burst. The universal OS is unable to punish the Gold Burst as Gold Burst is + on block.

Makoto

OS Parry/3C against opponent's wake-up

Input: 2A~5B~46/3C

Explanation: If the opponent does a DP on wake-up, 2A will whiff and the gatlinged 5B will not come out. Instead, the parry will activate on the DP. If the opponent blocks you can gatling to 5B and confirm into a blockstring. Replace with 3C to beat Jin's C DP.

Misc.:

Edited by Fluck

I didn't know about the OS Barrier Tech CA or the specific option selects... I like this thread, it's very interesting.

OS against Jin wakeup without meter

2A>1B

If blocked, 2B comes out.

If Jin does a DP, you either crouch under it if it's not C version or block the C version.

Gets beaten by D DP.

Tsubaki can OS a lot of her specials since she can cancel any of her specials into D specials on block or even whiff. For instance, if you try to use 214D, you can then do 22C~D (basically plink C, then D). If 214D is blocked, 22D will come out, making it safe. If it hits, you'll do 22C which recovers in time for you to followup on 214D.

Similarly you can use it with her DPs to make it harder to punish her for DPing by doing A/D DP>236A~D>214A~D. If the DP gets blocked, D versions come out and you do 236D>214D through her projectile making you really plus on block. If the DP landed, then you just do 236A>214A and knock the opponent away.

Those are really the only two useful applications of OSing her cancelable specials I can come up with though.

If we're doing character OSs,

Ragna can piano 22A~C on opponent knock down to force emergency tech. If they tech, 2A comes out. If not, they get picked up by 22C. It's reversal safe, leaves you at advantage, and has practical uses after midscreen 3C>214A, and corner 623D>236C>214D knockdown.

Edited by MashThat5A

Another thing to note about throw tech OS is the window to successfully break a throw is much smaller than if you had tried to break the through normally. (3f window compared to 13f)

I was thinking that character OSes should probably go into their own subforums, while OSes that work AGAINST specific characters can go here, because you usually won't go into a character's subforum to find out what technology works against them. Thoughts?

i just wanted to note

for some reason chars with c dp's have problems doing the cross up dp os, but you can try checking on your own

OS against Makoto's wake-up

Input: Many characters can do their 2B 5B, but it varies. Carl's 2B is very good for this.

Explanation: A meaty low move like Carl's 2B will cause Makoto's DP to whiff if spaced right, because the character's hurtbox is not in range. The 5B gatling will not happen and you can recover and punish the DP. If Makoto blocks, you can confirm the 2B 5B into a block string. Wake-up parry loses to low attacks.

Works on: Makoto.

Counter: No specific counter. Backdashing can beat the OS.

Misc.: The difficulty of the spacing is dependent on the move. It's a lot harder to do it with Noel's 2B than Carl's.

Particle Flare beats that OS and puts you in a world of hurt. Also i'm not sure this can be considered an option select. You're just low profiling the dp

cross up OS barrier

Input: (iad) j.3ab

Explanation: I do this with Hazama, so I'll explain it using a common situation concerning him.

After a 214D~A knockdown, iad and input j.3ab after the air dash is "done" (can't barrier during an iad, etc).

If the opponent does a wake up shoryu or just mashes stuff, Hazama will cross them up and barrier (can do w/e after barrier).

If the opponent backdashes j.B will tag them (it also works on backward roll, but it may be character specific as the j.B may whiff).

Works on: anyone, and can be done by anyone, it's all about the setup beforehand and the character's j.B.

Counter: the opponent can escape this by doing a forward roll or inputting (some)DDs backward.

Edited by _Sey

Particle Flare beats that OS and puts you in a world of hurt. Also i'm not sure this can be considered an option select. You're just low profiling the dp

It's definitely considered an OS. If it weren't, things like sweep OS in SF4 wouldn't be considered OSs either.

Another important one is an anti-techroll OS. I know Hazama and Makoto can do this (maybe other characters too). 214214B. Meaty B, OS Jayoku if they roll.

Bang option select against gold burst:

2a>5b>6d>3b in semi chain mode, pianoing everything from 5b with some gap in 2a

the idea is that you whiff the 2a on oki if they gold burst and do a 6d for punish, if the gold burst doesnt come out and they just block, you get 5b>2b since the 6d was pianoed so fast that its input during 5b startup and you go straight to 2b for whatever you want

Found by Linear04 on Bang forums.

Pretty much every character can do a DP-baiting OS with a very low air normal + 4AB. If they do something on wake-up with invincibility, the normal whiffs and barrier block cancels the landing recovery. It's more practical for some characters than others though because of wake-up rolls.

Um... this probably doesn't count as an OS, but against a cornered litchi, jumping torwards her causes her DP to completely whiff, and if she doesn't do it then you can just pressure her normally.

just keep them all in this thread, there aren't really that many OS's that they warrant their own thread per character
It may not be SFIV amounts but there are lots of character specific option selects. Carl's entire strategy consists of his unblockable OS, lol. Edited by Eshi

Um... this probably doesn't count as an OS, but against a cornered litchi, jumping torwards her causes her DP to completely whiff, and if she doesn't do it then you can just pressure her normally.

I feel like you would basically have to be on top of Litchi for this to happen, and it's more likely that the DP will just hit you out of your jump startup.

Another important one is an anti-techroll OS. I know Hazama and Makoto can do this (maybe other characters too). 214214B. Meaty B, OS Jayoku if they roll.

For Makoto:

1-214214D~A+B if they rolled PF will come out, if not then you will Kara cancel the 5D into Barrier.

3-2A~5B~46: if your opponent used a reversal then the 2A will whiff and you will pop up your parry, on block you gatling to 5B and get a blockstring. you can replace the 46 with 3C to beat jin's C DP.

I feel like you would basically have to be on top of Litchi for this to happen, and it's more likely that the DP will just hit you out of your jump startup.
um, not waiting until the 1st frame of her wake-up to jump solves that. Her DP moves her forward slightly so she's missing a hitbox above her head, that's why it works unless your character is huge.

But that loses to like... most other moves. As a Litchi player myself I'm trying to figure out what you would have to be doing to fool me into using my DP in a scenario where you were that close to me and could jump over my head without being anti-aired. Like, I know my DP doesn't hit directly above me so if I think you're going to jc and make it whiff I'm not going to use it.

Updated. I didn't include the safe jump OS cause I find the set-up rather hard to do in BB because knockdowns don't last long enough. Could you give an example?

I didn't bother to list the inputs for each character for some OSes that apply to more than one character but have differing inputs methods such as the anti-forward roll one. I can list them if the mains of each character can provide me with the methods.

Keep the OSes coming, guys! All of this stuff is very useful.

ok i checked to make sure

you cant do crossup dp os with C at all

the game will prioritize throw over your dp input

all anti roll out stuff (like jyayoku or pf) lose to late roll

ok i checked to make sure

you cant do crossup dp os with C at all

the game will prioritize throw over your dp input

all anti roll out stuff (like jyayoku or pf) lose to late roll

Ok. I checked as well and even when I did C~A+B (according to the input viewer) DP still didn't come out. I'll take note of those corrections.

Pretty much every character can do a DP-baiting OS with a very low air normal + 4AB. If they do something on wake-up with invincibility, the normal whiffs and barrier block cancels the landing recovery. It's more practical for some characters than others though because of wake-up rolls.

It may not be SFIV amounts but there are lots of character specific option selects. Carl's entire strategy consists of his unblockable OS, lol.

you dont even need to do 4A+B

for example (even though this doesn't use jump) for vs jin C DP you can just do 2a [4]b/[1]b, on 2a whiff youll just block

safe jumps use the same principle