Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Id_asz

West Toast XV - Pre-tourney Discussion

So...

I want to hold another West Toast. Work and school were kicking my ass, making me really not wanting to go through all that work again. However, I think now's a good time to start getting things ready for WTXV!

This thread is here to help discuss good dates, schedules, getting people to help run it, etc. I'm going to point out a few things and I want you all to chime in on what you think.

Timing:

When do we hold the tournament?

College schedule is a big deal; most of you (as well as myself) attend college, so I want to make sure to at least avoid Finals/Mid-terms.

I also want it to coincide with releases for games. Actress Again comes out for PC in December, as well as the JP version of BBCS2+, so it'll have to be sufficient time after Dec.

I would like the tournament to take place on a Saturday and a Sunday if possible.

Games:

The main four I would like to include are:

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II Extend

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code

Arcana Heart 3

-We'd run two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday if that will work.

I'd also like to have a bunch of side games, which I'd need people to help me run.

FFA has the arcade boards for a lot of fighting games that you wouldn't expect (Hokuto no Ken, Vampire Savior, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, etc.), so if any of you would love to host something, point it out.

Last time there was also a problem of recording games, a lot of it was my fault, the drivers went out on the laptop I was bringing and I wasn't able to use my recording software :psyduck:

The rules are pretty fine as they are, but I might as well post them up in here for discussion.

I'll update and reply accordingly!

(10/29):

Pending Rules:

BlazBlue Continuum Shift II Extend:

Double Elimination Bracket, 2/3 Matches, 2/3 Rounds

Double-blind character selection available on request.

Winners must keep same character, losers may counter pick.

To be held on PS3 (JP disc). If the arcade has the game as an arcade board and the PS3 version is not out/not available, we will hold the tournament on the arcade. If the PS3 version is available we will run the tournament on PS3 (unless the PS3 has some bugs or unforeseeable arcade imperfect qualities).

All characters (including Relius) are legal. Unlimited Characters will not be allowed.

In-game glitches are allowed as long as they do not "break" the game (i.e. characters float off the screen, disappear, the game crashes, etc.).

If a button or stick problem occurs, stop playing and notify the tournament organizer immediately (even before your round is over). We will restart the round with a new stick. Abuses of this system will cause a forfeit of the match.

If the player accidently pauses in the middle of the game, they will forfeit that round (we can look the other way if it was in the middle of a super animation).

Guilty Gear XX Λ Core:

Winners must keep same character, losers may counter pick.

All characters are tournament legal.

Game will be held in Arcade. The arcade cabinet has PS2 ports, so you can plug in your PS2 controller (button layout: Square=Punch, Triangle=Slash, Circle=H. Slash, X=Kick).

In-game glitches are allowed as long as they do not "break" the game (i.e. characters float off the screen, disappear, the game crashes, etc.).

If a button or stick problem occurs, stop playing and notify the tournament organizer immediately (even before your round is over). We will restart the round after dealing with the problem. Abuses of this system will cause a forfeit of the match.

Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code v1.07:

Winners must keep same character (but may change moon styles, selecting before the opponent chooses their moon style), losers may counter pick.

All characters are tournament legal.

Game will be held on arcade. I will be working on setting up a PS2 port, but there is no guarantee I can get it to work. If PC version is available, we may hold it on PC (undecided).

If a button or stick problem occurs, stop playing and notify the tournament organizer immediately (even before your round is over). We will restart the round after dealing with the problem. Abuses of this system will cause a forfeit of the match.

Arcana Heart 3:

Winners must keep same character (but may change arcana), losers may counter pick.

To be held on PS3 (JP disc).

All characters are legal.

If a button or stick problem occurs, stop playing and notify the tournament organizer immediately (even before your round is over). We will restart the round with a new stick. Abuses of this system will cause a forfeit of the match.

If the player accidently pauses in the middle of the game, they will forfeit that round (we can look the other way if it was in the middle of a super animation).

mirrored on MeltyBread and HomingCancel

I'll help run the BB tourney.

Cool! So far, the date looks good for late Jan/early Feb. I want to wait a little while after BBCS2+ comes out. Any conflict with that from anybody?

Also, it's most likely that we will have side tournaments for:

Vampire Savior

Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters

If you'd like to help run any of these (main, side, or unmentioned), let me know. I'd appreciate the help!

So as far as grouping goes, I was wanting two main events on Sat and two main events on Sun. But which games should they be?

I was thinking:

Day 1:

Guilty Gear

BlazBlue

Day 2:

Melty Blood

Arcana Heart

However, it might be better to have Guilty Gear and BlazBlue separated so that people don't just show up for one day. Or to not have Melty Blood on the last day in case people have to leave to go back to their home state.

I'd appreciate some input from you guys!

Looks like the best date will be Jan 21-22. Any objections?

Current game listing:

Main:

BlazBlue Continuum Shift II Extend

-Raptor

Guilty Gear XX Λ Core

Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code v1.07

Arcana Heart 3

Side:

Vampire Savior: The Lord of the Vampire

-Rotanibor?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters

-SLEDGE

Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star)

-Need Volunteer

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

-Need Volunteer

Fate/Unlimited Codes

-Need Volunteer

Immaterial and Missing Power

-Need Volunteer

Big Bang Beat 2

-Need Volunteer

+maybe something else

The date sounds good, I might be able to attend. For CSE will you be using an arcade cab or importing the JP console version?

Most likely the JP console ver.

If we happen to have the arcade version by then, then we'll probably run it on the arcade.

You found the board for Fate/Unlimited Codes? Please tell me you got it out of that dump.

I'll honestly be surprised if anybody enters for BBBR, but I'm totally down for IaMP.

You found the board for Fate/Unlimited Codes? Please tell me you got it out of that dump.

I'll honestly be surprised if anybody enters for BBBR, but I'm totally down for IaMP.

The owner of Super Arcade might have left us a Fate/Unlimited Codes board hidden beneath a lot of junk in there, we've found some clues, but haven't found the board yet. We can always run it on PS2, though.

The owner of Super Arcade might have left us a Fate/Unlimited Codes board hidden beneath a lot of junk in there, we've found some clues, but haven't found the board yet. We can always run it on PS2, though.

Whoa, whoa... Super arcade has Fate/Unlimited Codes? This is news to me.

Whoa, whoa... Super arcade has Fate/Unlimited Codes? This is news to me.

Jason, the old owner, had the board for it. I think he had it installed for a short time but it didn't do well and he couldn't find a buyer for it. If we can find it we'll add it.

The prices won't be big, probably $5 for Guilty/Melty/Arcana and $7 for BlazBlue. The side tournament prices will be tentative and probably won't be announced until the time of signing, but expect $1-3.

Sounds great. I hope to know the location soon.

Sorry I didn't reply to that part:

It will definitely be held at FFA. I know that's a bit of a ways for you, TrigIDs. The tournament won't be big enough to be held at a hotel or anything like that. We've had tournaments as big as 87 people at the arcade before, but I don't think WTXV will be that big (maybe 30 people?).

Sorry I didn't reply to that part:

It will definitely be held at FFA. I know that's a bit of a ways for you, TrigIDs. The tournament won't be big enough to be held at a hotel or anything like that. We've had tournaments as big as 87 people at the arcade before, but I don't think WTXV will be that big (maybe 30 people?).

Mmm... I'll think about it.