Sign in to follow this  
Dragonslayer9

Is Blazblue a good competitive fighting game in your opinion?

Apparently theres a lot of hate for the game here according to some people but I never really see it. So state your opinion here about the game, why or why not is it a good competitive fighting game in your opinion? I'd honestly like to know what the majority of people here on Dustloop think of the game.

In my opinion, ever since Continuum Shift they have really stepped it in terms of gameplay mechanics and every single tweak they make to the engine seems to make it a much better game. I believe the game is deep and has a nice skill gap for players.

Maybe the comparison to Guilty Gear that makes the game look bad?

It's a great competitive game. Just majority of NA is close minded to Capcom or nothing.

I love blazblue, I love just how different each character is from one another, and the fact that there are rewarding gameplay mechanics for more than just 'mindless attack'. It's just really fun - always

I believe it is a great fighting game for competitive play. To me the game never gets boring and is always fun mainly due to the fact that the characters are so unique. Most of the people who say the game is bad either are die hard Capcom fans, think the game is too hard or something, or they simply write the game off as being animu and weeaboo without really giving it a chance. Just about every character in the game can win a major tournament and there are not many fighting games that can say the same thing.

I believe it is a great fighting game for competitive play. To me the game never gets boring and is always fun mainly due to the fact that the characters are so unique. Most of the people who say the game is bad either are die hard Capcom fans, think the game is too hard or something, or they simply write the game off as being animu and weeaboo without really giving it a chance. Just about every character in the game can win a major tournament and there are not many fighting games that can say the same thing.

Or because it isn't Guilty Gear.

My answer to the question, yes.

I'm not even gonna comment on the thought process of the fighting game scene in general when it comes to playing specific games for whatever reasons.

If you voted against Obama than this is a good game to let out the frustration that you might have had when he won. Overall BB is a good game and it really changed my life around and made me want to aspire. This game cured my depression and allowed me to finish my last year in HS, I lost my virginity while playing this game which I doubt could have been possible had I continued to play Halo and Cod. I got my non drivers license, passed my college entrance exam, endured all 3 movies of twilight, found spiritual enlightenment, attained mental strength, learned to duggie, and last but not least took a shower because of this game. To this day I still play BB and I hope to get married playing this game.

Hopefully this helps answer your question and inspires you to go make a scene in your area.

Edited by NeoGio0o

Forgot to put that those were the responses I got from people when I tried to get more people to play the game in my local area; did not mean to make a generalization about the fighting game scene as a whole.

This game is a good competitive game.

A lot of people write the game off, and that's what all the talk boils down to. People are writing it off and they shouldn't, and it's their problem, not the game's.

This game has different priorities than its chief inspiration, and from Capcom games.

This game is about options. You're rewarded on hit by reducing your opponents options and expanding yours.

This game is about positioning and spacing. Being in neutral makes you predictable and leaves your opponent with more options at the benefit of temporary safety.

Whiners Whine that the game doesn't reward offense. My response is Noel, as well as that they should be ashamed of themselves for wanting games to be like Noel.

Whiners whine that Guilty Gear is better. The sad fact is that Guilty Gear is slowly becoming a game too difficult to learn properly, too hard to play locally and online, and not interesting enough to keep playing char to char compared to BlazBlue. BlazBlue's characters are just so different, appealing, and complete. Guilty Gear is old. Unless it gets the Third Strike treatment, it's just not worth getting into or jumping into the community for.

I've taken notice than people will bash BlazBlue, praise Guilty Gear, but wont Get At Me in either game b/c they are scared of being beaten.

The truth is - the fighting game players will usually play what is newest and appealing, no matter how much it costs or how short-changed they get with BS like no spectator mode in 2011., or how completely, utterly WHACK the game may be.

Edited by Star-Demon

IDK At the Northwest Majors stream chat, it was a matter of stream monsters hating the people playing the game rather than the game itself. So, people think there's a stereotype stigma if you play this game. It was the same when Tekken came on.Also, I can see where the Capcom people are coming from for thinking that this game is hard but then I realize there's mvc so there's no excuse.

Nah dawg. This site was just created to talk about lolis and we're all just wasting our time creating resources for the community because we like the pretty colors.

Its good. But its beginning to suffer Capcom syndrome. Rehash the game, tweak shit that doesnt need tweaking, nerf characters that dont need nerfing ect ect. Ive gone off it a bit in CS2. But this is just me...

If you voted against Obama than this is a good game to let out the frustration that you might have had when he won. Overall BB is a good game and it really changed my life around and made want to aspire. This game cured my depression and allowed to finish my last year in HS, I lost my virginity while playing this game which I doubt could have been possible had continued to play Halo and Cod. I got my non drivers license, passed my college entrance exam, endured all 3 movies of twilight, found spiritual enlightenment, attained mental strength, learned to duggie, and last but not least took a shower because of this game. To this day I still play BB and I hope to get married playing this game.

Hopefully this helps answer your question and inspires you to go make a scene in your area.

I have never read anything more confusing and inspiring.

CT was ass but the fun kind of ass (if you didn't play Tager). CS1 was fun for a while but became ass after fighting Bang and Litchi for so long. CS2 is a huge improvement over CS1 and is definitely a legit, competitive game.

There are several reasons why the game doesn't have as much competition as Capcom games, and I'll go over the reasons. There are several types of players; here are the ones that probably won't play BB. Not enough money involved (related to general popularity): I'll respect players wanting to play for money; it's a legit motivator and, unfortunately, ASW/AG are not Capcom and don't have tons of money to throw around. Not enough competition: popularity issue again. They don't like the way the game looks: I can respect this since art styles can deter me away from certain forms of media as well; not related to the game being ANIME. The game is ANIME: shitty reason; if people don't want to play the game for that reason alone, they're not worth talking to and are probably lacking brain cells. The community sometimes looks like a bunch of sad life otaku: I hate to say this, but it's true sometimes; shave your neckbeards, don't wear anime shirts/dress casually, take a shower, wear deodorant/anti-perspirant and don't smell like shit, stop being a socially awkward nerd, and don't play the game only because you like anime. Seriously, there's still this social stigma... and to be honest, some people in the community are either oblivious to it, don't care, or in denial.

In any case, from what I can tell, most top players will play any game. Many of the players I know in NorCal that don't play BB actually like the game or are interested in playing it, but just don't because no one plays it. I'm doing my best to try to promote growth within the local community by trying to convince them to play the game or start playing the game again. The best thing you can do is try to convince other open minded players that the game is legit and actually pretty fun.

Yeah ya beta deskjockies, I can hear your mom upstairs asking you if you want homemade apple pie.

BTW Tell her she was really fun last night.

As of CSII BB is a great competitive fighting game. It has the least amount of random and takes the most skill when compared to any of the games that are popular right now.

Unfortunately, people like to play crappy games.

A Hakumen won the Evo. A char that no one expected to get that far (of course, the player was awesome), even breaking the bullshit some theory fags said.

BBCS2 is competitive because (almost) all the cast is viable and the effort and practice you put in the game gets reflected no matter who you main (except if you play Tager :kitty: ), and also because of variety of play styles; unlike other fucking games, where variety... what variety?

Whiners whine that Guilty Gear is better. The sad fact is that Guilty Gear is slowly becoming a game too difficult to learn properly, too hard to play locally and online, and not interesting enough to keep playing char to char compared to BlazBlue. BlazBlue's characters are just so different, appealing, and complete. Guilty Gear is old. Unless it gets the Third Strike treatment, it's just not worth getting into or jumping into the community for.

Hey don't bash Gear, I'm a million times better at Blazblue, but Gear is still my faveorite, and how are GG characters not unique?

On topic, yes, BB is a great competitive game. I don't like most of the characters (Bang, Tao, Tager, Ragna, Arakune, Hakumen, Lambda...those are the only ones I like, unless you count Mu separate from Noel), but I love playing the game. Why people don't play the game, well let me tell you my expirence. I show people Tager, Bang, Ragna, and Hakumen "Oh hey that's cool", then they see Platinum, Noel, Rachel, "This game is dumb". No joke. The game is very Animesque, and a lot of people can deal with that style, Hell alot of the people I try to introduce to the game are anime fans, but moe and loli draw some people in, and push others away. When I first saw the game I wasn't interested at all because all I saw was Noel and Jin. Then Bang popped up, and I loved it ever since.

I think it's a great competitive game, with, yes, excellent variety of matches, and I think that in spite of Arc Sys's best efforts, it will continue to be so in BBCS:EX. That said, some people are completely unable to get past the game's aesthetics, which I personally think is sortof pathetic, but it's not really my business. ;) The other fact of the matter is that it's a lot more complicated than say, SF4, and some people can't be arsed, too.

Edited by Airk

Blaz is a great competitive game, every character is unique to the point where you can't use one like the other. Also you can never really know exactly what your opponent may do. Each person uses their main differently than someone else. Every character has a decent amount of pokes(except Tager) and can utilize them to their advantage.

Edited by tjtj012

CT was ass but the fun kind of ass (if you didn't play Tager). CS1 was fun for a while but became ass after fighting Bang and Litchi for so long. CS2 is a huge improvement over CS1 and is definitely a legit, competitive game.

There are several reasons why the game doesn't have as much competition as Capcom games, and I'll go over the reasons. There are several types of players; here are the ones that probably won't play BB. Not enough money involved (related to general popularity): I'll respect players wanting to play for money; it's a legit motivator and, unfortunately, ASW/AG are not Capcom and don't have tons of money to throw around. Not enough competition: popularity issue again. They don't like the way the game looks: I can respect this since art styles can deter me away from certain forms of media as well; not related to the game being ANIME. The game is ANIME: shitty reason; if people don't want to play the game for that reason alone, they're not worth talking to and are probably lacking brain cells. The community sometimes looks like a bunch of sad life otaku: I hate to say this, but it's true sometimes; shave your neckbeards, don't wear anime shirts/dress casually, take a shower, wear deodorant/anti-perspirant and don't smell like shit, stop being a socially awkward nerd, and don't play the game only because you like anime. Seriously, there's still this social stigma... and to be honest, some people in the community are either oblivious to it, don't care, or in denial.

In any case, from what I can tell, most top players will play any game. Many of the players I know in NorCal that don't play BB actually like the game or are interested in playing it, but just don't because no one plays it. I'm doing my best to try to promote growth within the local community by trying to convince them to play the game or start playing the game again. The best thing you can do is try to convince other open minded players that the game is legit and actually pretty fun.

Wow, couldn't have said it better.

But yeah, CS2 is a great competitive fighting game, and CSEX looks to be even more refined.

snip

Well said, I still find it funny that some SF players toss BB and many other games aside because of them being anime games when Street Fighter 4 is *gasp* also an anime fighting game. I mean just look at the games cutscenes lol

It's become legit. Not GG good yet, but give it a bit more time, and it might just turn into what the vets wanted all along.

Yeah I agree, just let ArcSys tweak the engine more and more, one game at a time.

Edited by Dragonslayer9

I've seen tournament play of this game and I got hooked. This game is more refined than SF in my opinion. I've played SF all my life and now I really want to make it as a Blazblue pro, I just wish Canada had a strong scene.

Edited by Deikan