Sign in to follow this  
Sophisticat

About Creativity

everyone talking shit to akira needs to play him, you niggas will probably get lit

^ Lol, no shit. I recall playing him once, he's no joke.

so where is this topic heading to?

random>stuff

But yeah, time for me to chime in. Ok guys, if you have more to argue about take it elsewhere, please. I want to get back on track here.

-----

Going forward, I think "competitive edges" could be an interesting discussion because I don't think it's something that's ever been talked about in relation to FGs. I'll add in risk v. reward, psychology & "tourney nerves", and the top player's mentality. Forget about creativity, that was too abstract a concept just yet.

But that said, is there any interest in this thread? I'm ready to continue, but if there's no interest, then I'm not about to do a bunch of TL;DR for nothing.

I realize my OP is more of a rant so it wasn't really conducive to constructive discourse, but there was some good stuff said in here and I think it could form the base for some interesting insights. I'll start over fresh in a new thread in that case with a more open structure.

So, who's interested out there?

what the hell is a competitive edge

risk v reward is good, but i dont think its uncovered, i think pretty much everyone takes it into account

maybe im overestimating though

wont hurt to cover it

Edited by mAc Chaos

I guess he means competitive mindset or something like that.

I don't think people should mistake creativity for using gimmicks, they aren't really the same thing.

what the hell is a competitive edge

Basically, assuming you have a pool of players of equal strength, all using characters of equal strength, then what is the defining element that would make a small set of players consistently place at the top?

For example, it could be... :

- Better reaction speeds.

- Better analysis of the other guy's habits.

- More experience/play time.

- Better defence (can block everything à la Spark)

Etc., you get the point.

Now, of course characters aren't of equal strength. This is why we have tiers and matchups. When you say a matchup is 6-4, then the "6" character has a competitive edge over the other character for X and Y reasons. So, tiers are about character edges. This is fairly straightforward once the game has been out for a while; tiers don't move much.

My original intent with this thread was to talk about the player edge, and how it interacts with the chosen character.

So let's say you pick a really shitty character. This means your competitive edge has to be really good to beat the top tiers, right? If you're a phenomenal player, then this can be done. You have X and Y element that makes you a cut above the rest.

The question is, what is this element? Coming back to my OP, I assumed creativity. Perhaps that's my edge? I don't even know what my own edge is actually, lol.

Hope it's clear now. This should be much more conducive to discussion. :P

Anyway, I ask of everyone: what is your edge? Do you even know it?

Edited by Sophisticat

quantum brainwaves

edit : no really i think im pretty ok at reading sometimes

i lack exp. I dont even have a ps3/360 :'<

Lol i agree with you personaly,, however if i do recall when LK went to Japan he lost to a "Mashy Ragna" because the japanese know the secret to blazblue. people laugh at me, hate me, call me a "Scrubby masher" but only a small amount can beat me. In truth you do not need to block to win in a fighting game. If you think a person is going to grab jump, if you think they will OH you grab, if you think they will try to trap you mash backdash. You are 100% correct when it comes to the whole unorthodox style of play because it truly does work. I for one play everyone in BB,, i know for a fact that Jin can hop over low attacks with 6B. An people wonders what goes on threw my head, but i will 6B sometimes on wake up if im Jin. If you think about it,, it will beat 2 out of the 3 options the opponent has when i am waking up. If they are baiting a Dp i get 6B into free pressure, if they do a low you get 6B on a crouching opponent (free 4k), but if they use a meaty normal im hit.

Please be in mind you just woke up,, keep in mind they are expecting you to block. So not only are they thrown off by you doing a wake up normal, the chances of you hitconfirming into anything over 2k without 50heat are very slim depending on which character you are fighting. An it all depends on who im fighting an with that i calculate the risk vs reward factor. If i do get hit out of Jins 6B im going to take X-amount of damage,, however on the other hand if they try to Grab/attack low/2a/or block i get either 4k 0heat, or free pressure. If they dont hit me im getting on of the two, so its a risk i take.

Then sure if you get hit you look kinda free but hell, it was a 66% chance of you hitting. You just so happen to not be that lucky. If the chances of me hitting are higher then the chances of me getting hit, along with the damage difference from getting hit and hitting is over 2k im taking the risk. IE:If i wake up 6B i could take about 2-3k but if i hit them im doing 4-5k thats a 2k difference.. thats more then enought to get me hit. An its the most logical thing to do an sure ill tell you the secret to BB so you can fight on the same level as the Japs BLOCKING DOES NOT WIN GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! people in america stay trying to do things that are out of your ability. If you know you cannot block,, STOP TRYING. If you know your blocking isnt that good why try =/ you will only get yourself killed. Sure you will look free if they are doing fram traps,, so if your going to mash at least be smart about it. If you know you cant tech grabs and you think they are going to grab do Ja/Jb/jc/jd do something other then trying to break that grab,, BEACAUSE YOU WILL GET GRABBED. An the enemy will get hit the first time they try to OH you, or when they try to grab you. An they will stop trying if you keep mashing,, why? Because they are not going to try and do sumthing they cannot, if someone is mashing in your blockstrings and you know it. You will not do OH's anymore, so i guess thats missions accomplished. An just remember if they call you a mashy free as nig, just let them know who won the fight.

Now you all know the truth behind Akira-Shiro's play style lol call me free if you want to,, but if you catch me twice i still got about 2-3k Hp left... if i catch you twice lol thats GG's try again next round

I was gonna write up a post to tell you how you only understand practice mode and how to do combos but I'll post this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fczpjbZkC5M

You think throwing in netplay is cheap and you don't understand what an option select is or how to option select throw. You don't understand how fighting games work. Please don't post in this thread trying to talk like you're some smart/good player when you can't understand a very simple concept, let alone the fact that you try and say throwing in netplay is cheap.

Edit: Someone posted the video already. Stay free me.

"Anyway, I ask of everyone: what is your edge? Do you even know it?"

Full screen kick start my heart, and dbz fight stick

Edited by Mahouko

I remember watching Akira-Shiro on tourney stream.

He was in semi-finals or loser's finals or some shit like that, iirc, and he was doing great with Carl -- then he got the cool idea to PLAY CHARACTERS HE COULDN'T PLAY IN THE MIDDLE OF A TOURNAMENT. Zero respect for his opponent, zero care for his chances of winning, zero care for the difference between tourney and netplay. Instead of getting top 3 or better, he lost, because he didn't take it seriously.

I was watching, and I was pissed.

lol stickbug hush,, that was well over 4-5 months ago. I grab myself,, an OS'ing helps when trying to be grab baited IE jins 6b. Soo please dont talk to me unless you kno me please dont make false descriptions of me beacuse unfortunately u dont kno me

You think throwing in netplay is cheap and you don't understand what an option select is or how to option select throw.

Tsk, tsk...

If you know you cant tech grabs and you think they are going to grab do Ja/Jb/jc/jd do something other then trying to break that grab,, BEACAUSE YOU WILL GET GRABBED.

Who needs option select throw when you got this much better alternative?

As for my "competitive edge", I don't think I have one. My defense is mediocre, my reactions are mediocre, my neutral is mediocre, my yomi is weak unless the opponent is being too predictable, etc. The only thing I have going for me are my combo choices, always looking for the optimal combo off whatever. Going out of my way in the lab to find the best combo for X situation.

wat are you talking about... in that tournament i got forth place.. SKD sent me to losers and Zidane kicked me out in losers finals.. LK got 1st SKD got 2nd zidane got 3rd & i got 4th.. An in all actuality i picked different people because i get bored of playing the same character so i learned everyone in the game... its no one i dont know how to play.. and sure i play sum better then others but i know them all

Point is, you got fourth when you probably could've gotten at least top three no sweat because you didn't take it seriously enough to keep playing your main.

I can't respect that, or anyone who would do that.

O.o carl aint my main,, in my defence i do not in anyway think he is my best character. An no im not better then Zidane, because i played my carl. An im not sure what you were looking at but i lost with carl due to a time out O.o so what are you talking about.

Point is, you got fourth when you probably could've gotten at least top three no sweat because you didn't take it seriously enough to keep playing your main.

I can't respect that, or anyone who would do that.

SAY IT TO MY FACE NIGGA

"Anyway, I ask of everyone: what is your edge? Do you even know it?"

Full screen kick start my heart

My Edge is that I'm so ass-terrible at these games that when I do something good my opponent loses. It's like hidden power level.