Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oiboi

Zappa Vs. Potemkin

Up till yesterday, i used to think this was the worst matchup possible for Zappa. But after some experimenting with different options (an expensive thing to do, seeing as how i did this against a pretty experienced Pot at my local arcade) i found that its not so bad after all.

First off, zappa's backdash is short. As such, backdashing away from the dreaded slidehead is often a difficult endeavor. Wait a split second before backdashing, or you'll be in for a helluva ride.

I like to start the match by running forward. running 6p will beat his double-fisted long reach punch (6HS, i think?), and hit under his hammer fall. Also beats slide head. Needless to say, if he goes for the heat knuckle hes in for it too. You will also out prioritize him on most of his ground normals, so if he tries any of the above its a free summon for you. Forward mega fist will probably go over you, but its best to FD if you see him start with mega fist. Same with the flick.

jumping p is a lifeline in this match. j.p will beat and out prioritize many of his air options, and punishes any slidehead attempts. Watch out for his deadly 6p (the Buddha clap), though.

The potemkin i fought was very good with flicking the ghosts back at me. However, there is a way around it. First off, always jump before firing ghosts, for obvious reasons. I usually fire off the standard S toss, baiting a flick, before firing off a P toss. Naturally, if he goes for the flick he will flick away the S ghost toss, but leave himself wide open to eat the P toss. The K toss is pretty good if you think hes gonna try to heat knuckle you, as all he'll be grabbing is a handful of POSSESSION. The damage is pathetic, but pile on the pressure and farm orbs.

Dog and sword have already been covered very well, i have nothing to add on those fronts.

When using Raou, this is my favourite combo against Pot (and ky and sol and may and a few others):

HS, K darkness anthem, j.S, j.HS, Edguy. If he is in the corner, RC and continue Edguy-ing until you run out of tension (2 Edguys per RC). So yeah, he'll be pretty much dead if he tries to burst anytime after the first Edguy, because he'll just be giving you a free Edguy in the air.

Stay grounded. When he corners you, don't jump out of the corner. It is instinct to do so, but he will probably be waiting with a heat knuckle or a heavenly potemkin buster. IAD or K if you see a slidehead coming.

Running and doing 6p is kinda dangerous if you keep doing it. He does have a Potemkin buster with retarded range. I think its much easier to just 5k Pots 236S ( Slidehead I think )

I don't get it ... How can Potemkin Buster be able to reach Zappa when he's doing 6P ? ? :| :| I always use 6P or 2K and then summon ... They're good if you use in time, it can hit over the Hammer Fall of Potemkin

Zappa's 6P has upperbody HIT invincibilty (which is why Hammerfall can miss it), but it does not have throw invincibilty (thus Zappa can still be thrown). They're two different things. 5K has no throw invincibilty neither Nor does summon.