Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ehuangsan

My Ky Trade Secrets thread

vr's actually one of the more tame sol players out there

the sol ky matchup is definitely slightly in sol's favor this time around but it's still pretty even

Yeah after mashing that matchup a lot more, I think it's 5.5-4.5 Sol, though it feels like I have to spread the battle all over the stage to win.

Seeing Sol's 5K beat Ky's 2P or 2K really pisses me off though, and it takes a lot to adjust to that change in particular, along with fafnir punishing a whiffed 2D.

VR-Raiden doesn't play chaotic. I haven't played him in Xrd yet, but we've played before. He has a very strong textbook Sol that does optimal combos off any and every mistake. Definitely not chaotic.

Have the changed the hitboxes of Sol's normals? Why are they so much more of a threat in Xrd? THey all pretty much have t same frame data from what I've seen.

certain normals like his 5k, 5hs and f.s feel like they got quite a bit stronger, whether they actually changed them or not is a mystery to me though

ky's 6p nerf makes it absurdly difficult to anti air his j.hs again, having to worry about whether he can punish you for trying to bait a gf with a super late yrc, stable and high damage return off random max range pokes with rc

not to mention his new corner combos makes it hard to burst safely, ive just been saving my bursts for the rc combos

I can't argue about actual hitboxes, but damage opportunity off of normals is much greater for Sol in Xrd, for a couple of reasons. The new RC system is the obvious one, since it makes 5S and 5HS convert into massive damage at poking range, something that Sol has never really had before. The second change is that they made j.K jump cancellable, something that initially seems rather innocuous and mundane, but ends up giving him a whole host of new combo routes. The most significant effect of new j.K is that hitting someone with 5K's second hit as anti air leads to better combo outcomes, especially in the corner, which consequently makes 5K much easier to use as an anti air and much stronger as well.

It all adds up to Sol being an absolute beast at neutral now, whereas in AC/+R he was pretty lackluster without meter for GF FRC.

Stun Dipper Tactics - Counterhit setups

Been too busy with work, so I'll split this up into multiple sections.

Like with other tools, Ky's Stun Dipper should be thought more of as a poke rather than a special move, although most people think of it as a combo only move or a bad move in neutral. On the contrary, stun dipper has very fast startup, becomes low profile almost immediately and moves very quickly, which allows Ky to be a threat at distances much further than at first glance, thereby making it a very dangerous tool in neutral. Further, you can eliminate the need to FRC or RC if the stun dipper counterhits on first hit, so you can use that to set up several situations.

The counterhit property is very useful when you can induce your opponent to attempt an attack or counterattack. If you can catch the opposing side to try to attack with something slower than a stun dipper, oftentimes you can counterhit them with a seemingly random stun dipper. If you have enough meter, you can make it safe with a FRC or YRC if you guess wrong. Before Xrd, I was of the opinion that Ky's Stun Dipper was one of the primary reasons that he was competitive, as the counterhit setups are rather invaluable. If you get the counterhit on the first hit, then you can immediately seize the initiative as the second hit will combo regardless of the distance, so you don't need an FRC or RC to make it safe. You can also tack on an RC to do fairly decent damage for half tension.

One example of a counterhit situation is off of a setup where the opponent may be tempted to hit a button to counterattack in what was in reality a frame neutral situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSucIO1Cpzw&t=1m54s

Similarly, Stun Dipper can be used defensively to try for counterhit attempts. One example is off of a neutral air tech close to the ground into reversal stun dipper if the opponent is coming at you. If the opponent tries to hit a button, the startup of the stundipper will actually be invincible due to the neutral tech glitch, which is one way to bait the opponent to attack. Note that this bug was patched in the latest version of Xrd. Similarly, if you are dashing backwards, or air dashing backwards and the opponent comes at you, you can land and stun dipper to try to catch any button press attempt.

Keeping in mind where stun dipper can possibly counterhit will help your neutral game immensely and can make your Ky much more dangerous. However, you have to not overabuse the Stun Dipper, as your opponent may catch on and try to bait a wayward abare stundipper.

Kamoseiro's IK setup

You probably won't know about this unless you were playing GG more than ten years ago.

It is the king of all ghetto tricks and not recommended for use in a serious match. In Xrd, it only works in the corner due to Ky's limited IK range. In +R, it can work anywhere, but again, it's very unlikely that you will get this on someone.

The setup is:

RC 5D into activate IK -> opponent bursts -> IK

If you do hit someone with it, you will have massive kudos from me. I have intermittently gone for this over the past 13 years, and I have landed it all of once, though I have gotten close many times. Further, the only time that I hit someone with it was yesterday in an online Xrd match. I also said that if I ever hit someone with it, I would retire from GG, so I guess I am retired from all things GG now and will now mostly focus on AP.

The inventor of this trick, Kamoseiro, did land it against N-O in an #R tournament once though so I suppose anything is possible.