Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toasty

[CSE] Relius Clover Q&A Thread

What's your standard corner oki like? I know 3C > jD > jC(land) > pressure is the go to option but what are other viable alternatives? The only other one I use often is 236C > Val Tus.

What's your standard corner oki like? I know 3C > jD > jC(land) > pressure is the go to option but what are other viable alternatives? The only other one I use often is 236C > Val Tus.

Sorry I had missed this before, but some other oki options that are good are:

3C -> 214D: This can be used for unblockables as long as the opponent does not delay tech.

3C -> 214C: Should catch delay/roll techs and leads to very good damage on hit. The last hit of 214C should also connect with the opponent if they neutral tech, allowing you to safely go into pressure.

3C -> jD -> airdash jB -> jC: Overhead option that can be used to catch the opponent off guard as long as they don't forward tech.

The safest option is still 3C -> jD -> jC, since the jC will catch a delay tech or roll while still keeping you safe from reversals if they neutral tech (you will recover from jC before they can reversal you). Just because it's the safest option, however, doesn't mean it should be the only one you use, since the others generally lead to a bigger reward.

I was wondering if anywhere in any thread there's something about good ways to get in on your opponent. I try throwing out Val Lanto and maybe a 2D or 5D to keep my opponent still while I dash into them, but no matter what I try I usually always get punished. Also, How are air 2D, 6D, and 8D most effectively used? I try using them to get in but air 2D doesn't seem to be long enough to combat someone mashing out an anti air, and air 6D doesn't hit low enough. I know I'm not going to beat their anti air, but should they have neglected to use one I was hoping it'd keep them in block or hit stun long enough for me to combo or go for something else. Over all, I'm Just looking for relatively safe advances.

I was wondering if anywhere in any thread there's something about good ways to get in on your opponent. I try throwing out Val Lanto and maybe a 2D or 5D to keep my opponent still while I dash into them, but no matter what I try I usually always get punished. Also, How are air 2D, 6D, and 8D most effectively used? I try using them to get in but air 2D doesn't seem to be long enough to combat someone mashing out an anti air, and air 6D doesn't hit low enough. I know I'm not going to beat their anti air, but should they have neglected to use one I was hoping it'd keep them in block or hit stun long enough for me to combo or go for something else. Over all, I'm Just looking for relatively safe advances.

Since the first part of your question was answered in the general thread, I'll answer the part on the air D moves.

8D is primarily used as a combo tool to extend air combos, while 2D and 6D are generally used in pressure. 2D can be used on an opponent on the ground to start pressure or to catch someone mashing an anti-air (it should work at around max range in most matchups). You can also use 2D while airdashing to change up the speed and angle of your dash afterwards. It can make for some interesting pressure or a situational cross-up. 6D is mainly used in air-to-air situations. For a simple example, if you throw out a 214A from its max range and your opponent jumps after blocking and you jumped too, you can use 6D as Ignis is returning to you to keep them blocking.

So I should only use air D attacks during combos, full screen, or when I think I'm gonna get hit by an AA?

Basically

Okay, since I started to play with Relius, I wanted to ask something in regards to Ignis.

Depending on situations like ground or air combos, when would be an appropriate time to extend a combo with Ignis in a corner? or is it best to do Ignis combos mid-screen?

Basically, Whenever you think the meter is worth it, Use it. (Going for the kill, Good starter ect)

Corner Carry and Damage are all worth that extra meter. Don't blow loads of it, But don't hoard it either, If you end with solid Oki and simply IAD away, You'll get your meter back pretty sharpish.

Basically, Whenever you think the meter is worth it, Use it. (Going for the kill, Good starter ect)

Corner Carry and Damage are all worth that extra meter. Don't blow loads of it, But don't hoard it either, If you end with solid Oki and simply IAD away, You'll get your meter back pretty sharpish.

I mainly go for the "Good starter" strategy, but I would sometimes go with the "Going for the kill" strategy. But for now, I wouldn't want to waste my entire Ignis meter right away during a combo.

Thanks for answering. I will do my best to create some Relius combos I can post here. ;)

Was just wondering if there have been any JP tournys with dominating Relius players? I haven't heard of or seen any but that doesn't mean it's not there eh.

So I should only use air D attacks during combos, full screen, or when I think I'm gonna get hit by an AA?

I also like to use j.2D as a punish for when you retreat by jumping back and the opponent whiffs something big. You can j.2D to counter hit them and stop your momentum, and in case it worked fine you can Air Dash back in and switch to offense.

Even if the opponent blocks it's still a good way to avoid being chased as you retreat.

Another fantastic way to change your air momentum and fly across the screen with a falling j.C like a Valkenhayn player is to use Super Jump > Air Dash > j.D (Summon/Unsummon) > j.C. It kills the air dash movement, but you keep the momentum when you fall, kind of like the old glide throws Litchi and Carl could do in CT-CS2. It can be predictable, but it helps against zoners, I think. Especially since you can block while you fall as well.

I'm honestly really interested in using j.D's momentum stop for things. I think it has potential.

Anyone found any particularly good uses for it besides the ones already mentioned?

Do you think it would work as a subsitute for airdash in jump-in mixup? Normally it's

jump>[airdash high] OR [land low]

but j.D's momentum stop might make it so you can use it in place of airdash so it'd be

jump>[j.D high] OR [land low].

If so, that'd be pretty powerful.

EDIT: If anyone is lost on what I'm talking about, this video is slightly troll but explains really well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf4-gYnCgXM

I'm just putting this here in case I forget but St1ckbug's fight with Dacidbro in Final Round XV RTE Day 1, What are the combos he does? I feel like he could have beat him had he nailed his combo enders. If I remember I'll post them myself, but yeah, just in case I forget, Others should know of what that guy can do with Relius.

Also, the mods are so good to us. Thank you for the critique thread.

I'm just putting this here in case I forget but St1ckbug's fight with Dacidbro in Final Round XV RTE Day 1, What are the combos he does? I feel like he could have beat him had he nailed his combo enders. If I remember I'll post them myself, but yeah, just in case I forget, Others should know of what that guy can do with Relius.

Also, the mods are so good to us. Thank you for the critique thread.

I think the corner combo he was doing was the one he mentioned awhile back that used a very minimal amount of Ignis' meter:

(confirm) -> 236C -> 214A -> 6B -> TKj236C -> 2C -> 6C -> 4D -> 3C -> oki

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I think the corner combo he was doing was the one he mentioned awhile back that used a very minimal amount of Ignis' meter:

(confirm) -> 236C -> 214A -> 6B -> TKj236C -> 2C -> 6C -> 4D -> 3C -> oki

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I have no idea, When i'm able I wanna look at the footage and find out. I know for sure one had a TKj236C. But I really liked the combo and the way he handled bang. He might have won if he landed the 3C in the combo he did and got the oki; which is crazy to me cause Dacidbro Bang is so good.

Either way, that's a sick combo. But I can't confirm if it's the one he did.

St1ckbug did the combo Toasty listed at least once. I'm positive on that.

It's a super practical combo because it does good damage and ends in 3C for all of 2k Ignis meter.

I forgot to confirm what combo he did... So yeah, he did the st1ckbug combo in the Combo thread. You can end the combo with 3C,j.D or 3C, 236C, 214C. This is by far my favorite combo Since it uses hardly any Ignis meter and sets up for an OKI beautifully. But I wouldn't recommend it if you want high damage.

90% of the time, that combo is all I have the meter to do after pressure >_>

That's why I love it so much. Pressure eats so much Ignis meter for me it's unreal. That's why I always try and find combos with the least amount of Ignis Cost. Also, One day during Kurushii's stream we should experiment with the D momentum changes and post them in the Technical thread