Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HexaNoid

[CS2/CSE] Lambda Critique And Self-Improvement Thread

Seem quite low activity going on lately, but I hope I can still get my help in time u_u;

There were a person who always counter/control over my game-play, and he never let it go no matter what strategies I try. long-range/mid-range/close-range/Oki/defensive. So I would like anybody who can help criticize my gameplay help me find the solution.

Well, first I want you to compare my normal game-play (not being control) when I face other players. and then compare with my game-play when I plays with him too. I think it always come out different, but I can't detail it, and I don't know what to change/do to make it better. I guess he could control me either because he is far superior or he just see everything through.

Here is my game play with my normal online skills : please check this first :

(The players I played with here aren't weak either, they all have PSR 500+, some 700)

(show different kind of playing here)

-Ragna

http://youtu.be/Erp2G10Vgcw

-Tsubaki

http://youtu.be/yTq7e2ivCWw

-Tager

http://youtu.be/QRDh61FnPxk

-Platinum

http://youtu.be/fyZ6jtUBv9E

-Relius

http://youtu.be/u2G-Y_9nJOw

Okay, and now, when I fight this person who is main Jin. It become a totally annihilate :

(I tried different way, but all lose )

http://youtu.be/KWwnBBBPato

http://youtu.be/cTHD2NrAx1w

http://youtu.be/p_A4qJr5gWw

http://youtu.be/zNrmrBZoDVw

http://youtu.be/cUcLOCe4yYA

http://youtu.be/XTYAAIOWQsk

http://youtu.be/HpVqrSJhiR8

So what should I do? and how to improve? what strategy should I do against him? Is there any weakness that I should use it for my opportunity that he has? Lastly, I wonder if there is any bad habit he and me like to do which could be turn into advantage/disadvantage? Says if you notice he like to do this after this, then I can counter with xxx. So far, I think he already learned me, but I can't study him.

I really hate when you do a combo with Lambda and then the freaking 5C hits backwards. .__.

I would say that you shouldn't be using empty 5C and just be careful using that. Leaves you way too open. I'm trying to get back to using Lambda myself but the empty 5C is what I noticed.

I really hate when you do a combo with Lambda and then the freaking 5C hits backwards. .__.

I would say that you shouldn't be using empty 5C and just be careful using that. Leaves you way too open. I'm trying to get back to using Lambda myself but the empty 5C is what I noticed.

Makes me wonder why they decided to remove 5C cross over. Of all the moves they should have left from CT Nu, I think it should be that one. Every patch I wish with all my heart that they bring it back. But I digress.

I agree with you though. 5C mash is a pretty bad way to go about things since you'll be left pretty open. Do that less and you'll see lots of improvement.

That alone won't change much tho. The main problem is about game controlling. It seem I always lead into his pad in his favor range all the time...

Example, as soon as I move my distant into far. He would throw sword first already even before I could 5D, because I m still stuck in dashing animation. And when I m about to lock him onto ground with the 216D, he either ice car me back instantly or just get hit there for less. I think there are many of small issues and big issues hiding somewhere there. Since it always his win, 20/20 30/30 T_T

Usually when I fight Jins I try to find a way to start pressuring him and not letting him out, Jin's neutral game kinda beats Lambda because of the 236X (stops 214D, 5D and 6D are not so efficient against it, etc...), so I try to find a way to avoid his zonning and to get close to him, and then start pressuring and keep going from there. And if he starts pressuring you, don't try desperately to run away from him, keep calm, use barrier, block all the crossups and wait for a gap to escape or punish him.

About your gameplay, I only watched your last 2 matches, but you should use more 5B and 2B, they are better than 5C and 3C for poking because they have faster startup and recovery and can be cancelled on 6B (and on jump because of that) or C attacks.

Seem quite low activity going on lately, but I hope I can still get my help in time u_u;

There were a person who always counter/control over my game-play, and he never let it go no matter what strategies I try. long-range/mid-range/close-range/Oki/defensive. So I would like anybody who can help criticize my gameplay help me find the solution.

I only watched the Ragna match and the first and last of the Jin matches, but a few major things I noticed (I'm going to be a little critical here, hope you don't mind >w>):

First of all, you really need to brush up on your combos and hit confirming. You're dropping way too many chances, and your combo choices tend to be a little poor. In the first Jin match for example, with the starters you got you should've killed him in about 3 combos, 4 at most. Not capitalizing properly is a major handicap, and gives him more opportunities to open you up...which brings me to #2; you're relying too much on 5C. Because of that, your understanding of spacing needs a lot of work. A lot of the time you seem to just be flailing about with random moves without paying too much attention to your relative positions and whether or not they're safe, which is why you lose so many of your exchanges. I suggest just not using 5C outside of combos for a while so you can get a feel for your other tools and understand spacing a little better.

Nothing particularly glaring imo, but maybe work on your melee mixup. It seems pretty weak and predictable as it is right now. Also, if it's within your current execution level you should start putting an extra crescent cancel jDD j2DD into your lower proration combos, since you seem to hit with random air D pokes a lot. The damage isn't that much alone, but it adds up and the extra meter gain is nice.

Can't comment on your other combos, since I didn't really see any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8bcO0fAAV0

Besides blocking better, and using a DD ender instead of a RC double crescent, what can I do better?

(Also, they do in fact tap the barrier button which is why my DP distortions sometimes hit through their baits)

Your mixup game sucks horribly.

I think we've already been through that discussion lol

A few things I saw:

-I noticed that you tend to wake-up Calamity Sword in instances where it's not really needed (and I saw the opponent bait it out because it was obvious, but for some reason they got hit anyway sometimes). Try waking up and blocking more often or something, be ready for the opponent and try to counter assault if you really don't want to have them on you and you have the meter. Wake up Calamity Sword can help you out of tight spots, but doing it often leads to opponents baiting it out.

-You don't have to do things on wakeup so often, it really helps to learn how powerful just sitting there and doing nothing can be. :D

-Is there a particular reason your barrier turns on and off rapidly? I'm not sure why you do it but it sets yourself up for TRMs pretty easily, which can be really dangerous against people who like to grab.

-You do get a lot of clips with the swords and so it'd help out if you capitalized off of them more (like instead of 6DD->2DD->j.c->j.DD->j.2DD->j.c->j.DD->j.2DD->j.214D, try doing 6DD->2DD->j.c->j.DD->j.2DD->j.214D©->j.DD->j.2DD->j.c->j.DD->j.2DD->j.214D). Once you get that down then opponents will fear the swords more and you can lock them down more easily.

-Should practice hitconfirming with 6DD, even when they blocked it you just went into 2DD and it whiffed sometimes. Should watch out for that because it leaves you open if they're at a fairly close range. I'd recommend either airdashing off of a blocked 6DD, or crescent cancelling to get rid of the recovery and get ready to do something else.

-Lambda has a lot of melee mixup options, so doing a different one than the 2A->5B->6A->2B->(Overhead/Low) mixup can really throw someone off. I know that mixup string can really nail someone not prepared for it, but using something different than what an opponent is used to seeing can sometimes win matches.

Those were pretty much all the things I could see that needed a bit of polishing. But don't worry about it if it seems like a lot of things to work on, I'm pretty sure a lot of other Lambdas have similar problems with these (myself included).

this may be the wrong thread to ask in, but is it possible to record local games (as opposed to online)? I only have Continuum Shift 1 and there currently isn't much of an online scene for it, so I don't get to play much online. Also, 9 times out of 10 whenever I do go online, my slow internet connection lags me right off the server.

tl;dr I'd love to post some videos for critique but I can't figure out how to make them.

this may be the wrong thread to ask in, but is it possible to record local games (as opposed to online)? I only have Continuum Shift 1 and there currently isn't much of an online scene for it, so I don't get to play much online. Also, 9 times out of 10 whenever I do go online, my slow internet connection lags me right off the server.

tl;dr I'd love to post some videos for critique but I can't figure out how to make them.

you need a capture card but with splitters

okay... how would one acquire a capture card? My budget is less than 50 EU euros BTW :(

edit: is this a question I should take to 'Online Play'?

edit2: solution encountered. Thanks Thino. I'll see what I can do.

-I noticed that you tend to wake-up Calamity Sword in instances where it's not really needed (and I saw the opponent bait it out because it was obvious, but for some reason they got hit anyway sometimes). Try waking up and blocking more often or something, be ready for the opponent and try to counter assault if you really don't want to have them on you and you have the meter. Wake up Calamity Sword can help you out of tight spots, but doing it often leads to opponents baiting it out.

I definitely need to stop doing that.

-You don't have to do things on wakeup so often, it really helps to learn how powerful just sitting there and doing nothing can be. :D

My first fighting game was brawl so its sorta second nature that I always have to be doing something <.< I can't really see standing and blocking as that helpful. Its probably just me though.

-Is there a particular reason your barrier turns on and off rapidly? I'm not sure why you do it but it sets yourself up for TRMs pretty easily, which can be really dangerous against people who like to grab.

Its my need to always do something. I just keep spamming 4AB or 3AB over and over for easy instant blocking. It does mess me up though.

-You do get a lot of clips with the swords and so it'd help out if you capitalized off of them more (like instead of 6DD->2DD->j.c->j.DD->j.2DD->j.c->j.DD->j.2DD->j.214D, try doing 6DD->2DD->j.c->j.DD->j.2DD->j.214D©->j.DD->j.2DD->j.c->j.DD->j.2DD->j.214D). Once you get that down then opponents will fear the swords more and you can lock them down more easily.

I definitely should, i used to but i kept messing it up ;~;

-Should practice hitconfirming with 6DD, even when they blocked it you just went into 2DD and it whiffed sometimes. Should watch out for that because it leaves you open if they're at a fairly close range. I'd recommend either airdashing off of a blocked 6DD, or crescent cancelling to get rid of the recovery and get ready to do something else.

Thats going on my to-do list definitely. It will help a lot against my hakumen matchup where all i do is spam 6D

-Lambda has a lot of melee mixup options, so doing a different one than the 2A->5B->6A->2B->(Overhead/Low) mixup can really throw someone off. I know that mixup string can really nail someone not prepared for it, but using something different than what an opponent is used to seeing can sometimes win matches.

Alright. Its just really hard for me to drop something I'm familiar with though. What would be some good mixups for non-pizza wheel pressure?

I know a lot of pizza wheel pressure though, such as j.b(whiff)>airdash/grounddash works great midscreen, as does double TK feint>2B/4B, TK feint>Low airdash/grounddash, ect, but i don't know any other non-wheel pressure strings.

in theory, would 2B>2C>backjump>j.2DD>tk feint>airdash>j.2c be good pressure reset?

-Captilizing the cancel air sword.

I did it in the first vid againest Tsubaki video, actually I did it in other vids too, just not on the Jin, because I m really stress from his fight there, and there is already a lot of mistake input when I fight him. (caused by his pressure) the whole match always be on his side which was the reason I have to show other videos to let you learn my skills first.

-Jin 's 236X

Yes, I completely agree there, of all the other characters, only him can do faster than me at range. I would like to do as what you said and dash close to him though, but his melee is stronger than me too.

-About 5C.

I guess I ll try to not use it, but a lot of time that 5C help me beat other players attack distant. So I 'm kidda afraid to lose more without it. Since lamda speed is known to be slower in close combat. the distant of 5C help.

Note: so far I don't have problem with any other Jin I face. It is only this Jin in the video person that he specially have problem with.

When you see a Jin is throwing out an ice sword, I'd recommend doing instant air dash j.2DD - j.214D (feint if you're too far). It's a bit hard to punish his 236B, but I'm pretty sure he'll be a bit more scared to use his swords. Just putting this out there.

I definitely need to stop doing that.

My first fighting game was brawl so its sorta second nature that I always have to be doing something <.< I can't really see standing and blocking as that helpful. Its probably just me though.

Its my need to always do something. I just keep spamming 4AB or 3AB over and over for easy instant blocking. It does mess me up though.

I definitely should, i used to but i kept messing it up ;~;

Thats going on my to-do list definitely. It will help a lot against my hakumen matchup where all i do is spam 6D

Alright. Its just really hard for me to drop something I'm familiar with though. What would be some good mixups for non-pizza wheel pressure?

I know a lot of pizza wheel pressure though, such as j.b(whiff)>airdash/grounddash works great midscreen, as does double TK feint>2B/4B, TK feint>Low airdash/grounddash, ect, but i don't know any other non-wheel pressure strings.

in theory, would 2B>2C>backjump>j.2DD>tk feint>airdash>j.2c be good pressure reset?

Haha my first fighting game was probably the n64 version of that franchise and I used to play Melee a lot back when I was growing up. :d Fun times.

Also about the melee mixup, I'm not saying to drop that setup entirely but to vary it with other things. Lambda has some strong high/low mixup if you use her jump cancellable moves (5B, 6B, 6A, 2C I think) since you can cancel it into either a TK crescent or a 3C, or a TK crescent feint into a low, an overhead, or a grab setup. Those moves also happen to be good for TRM setups, especially 2B and 5B. So you could so something like Normals->5B/2B->Green grab.

Her jump cancellable moves can also produce shenanigans like this:

2B->6B->IAD Backwards->j.2DD->j.214D©->Land->664B(2) for example.

That pressure reset you mentioned could work in theory but you'd have to do the j.2DD pretty early on the rise to be low enough to hit the enemy with the j.2C. I'm not sure though. I'll check really quick and get back to you on it.

Edit: I tried the reset and the j.2DD will whiff if the opponent is crouching. Have to either airdash backwards first (what I'd recommend as a more solid choice) or delay the swords until you're on the way down (which isn't that great of a choice as a character with an anti-air can just react to it and hit you).

Edit: I tried the reset and the j.2DD will whiff if the opponent is crouching. Have to either airdash backwards first (what I'd recommend as a more solid choice) or delay the swords until you're on the way down (which isn't that great of a choice as a character with an anti-air can just react to it and hit you).

I guess I'll just save it for tager then.

So, just picked up BBCSE yesterday and learned a couple of combos. Wanted to know if any one was online and can help me play her?

PSN - Were-Wulf

So, just picked up BBCSE yesterday and learned a couple of combos. Wanted to know if any one was online and can help me play her?

PSN - Were-Wulf

I do. There aren't EC many netplay Lambda anymore. There used to be so many who played a lot too (especially from New York). :(

alright, ill create a room. And yeah, i heard. The blazblue scene is more popular on the WC >.>

Room Name = Were-Wulf

Add me, too, toanenadiz / were-wolf ^^

my PSN id: akiha22

Not sure how the connection will be right now, but I'm upgrading my internet next week! I started learning Lambda about a month ago :<

If you're in the east cost, I can probably help you out, screwtape. I'm in EC Canada too so we'd probably have even less lag than you would with them.