Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HexaNoid

[CSE] Lambda Simple Questions And Answers Thread

I know Lambda isn't exactly a rushdown character at all,are there any recommendations for applying pressure to opponents besides controlling airspace with her swords?

If you land a close range hit you can almost always confirm it into sickle oki (236D) and force them to block incoming mixup. Let's say for example you hit an opponent with a 2B, you can confirm it into stuff like: 2B->6B->2C->5C->3C->(Knock them down)->236D.

The 3C will knock them over and then they wake up into a 236D, being forced to block. This is Lambda's safest way to ensure pressure on an opponent, and gives you a free mixup.

If you're asking about how to initiate into close range and force someone into this type of situation, then it's a bit harder to explain. However, I can say that for the most part, Lambda's rushdown mixup is still fairly strong and can be applied in a similar fashion when compared with other characters.

While we're on the subject of Lambda's neutral game, I have a few questions...

First, is it always better to save Gravity Seed for combos rather than using it as a means to slow the opponents approach? Because in all honesty I can't really find a situation where it would be viable compared to... well back-dashing or even just blocking.

Secondly I know the Crescent Saber mix up, but I can't seem to get it to work because whenever I do attempt it I'm either punished for it or worse I wiff it, so my question is HOW can I do it safely?

And lastly, I know Lambda has many anti-airs, but what's the most viable one? I know that they all have their uses, but could someone please give me a few examples of which to use in what situation?

Also... is it a good idea to use the second hit of 4B as a [i don't know if this is the correct term] ghetto anti-air?

First, is it always better to save Gravity Seed for combos rather than using it as a means to slow the opponents approach? Because in all honesty I can't really find a situation where it would be viable compared to... well back-dashing or even just blocking.

Secondly I know the Crescent Saber mix up, but I can't seem to get it to work because whenever I do attempt it I'm either punished for it or worse I wiff it, so my question is HOW can I do it safely?

And lastly, I know Lambda has many anti-airs, but what's the most viable one? I know that they all have their uses, but could someone please give me a few examples of which to use in what situation?

Also... is it a good idea to use the second hit of 4B as a [i don't know if this is the correct term] ghetto anti-air?

I wouldn't exactly call myself tourny-level material so I'll defer to those better and more experienced, but here's my attempt at answering your questions:

Gravity seed I mostly just use in combos and throw baiting, but for characters with limited mobility such as Tager, it's a decent choice to give yourself more breathing room. Against characters with limited reach such as Makoto and Tsubaki, throwing it out during gaps in pressure can work decently as well, since the mobility reduction either causes their hits to whiff for delicious counter-hit, or it makes them stop and block, letting you switch to the offensive.

Crescent Saber mixup when they're not in wheel oki really only works if the person respects you and tries to block. I suggest using the simpler run-up 4B(2)/2B mixup or (in blockstring) 5C>2C>Crescent/3C mixup for a while until they start to respect you. I'm not entirely sure exactly what you're having trouble with here, so if we could get some examples I'm sure we could elaborate more.

Anti-air choice is really more of a speed/move dependant thing. It depends on how fast the opponent is coming and where they're approaching from. They each have their uses. While I generally go for 6A if I need AA fast and 2C if I have more time, other moves are plenty viable too depending on the situation, such as 4B like you mentioned for that hitbox, and 5A if you need something even faster than 6A. It's not always in your best interest to AA either since it can be baited, so there are situations where just moving away is the best choice.

Might as well add some of my thoughts on the matter.

(1.) Depends. Something like 4B[#2 only] > 2DD > 214A > etc., IMO, is a waste. In this case, it only adds more corner carry and minimal damage.

There are some matches or match-ups where you might want to use Gravity for zoning, like Tager, Hakumen, or Ragna, but for the most part, it's not required. It's entirely up to you if you deem it necessary or helpful to winning the match.

For the most part, Gravity is an important part of Lambda's higher damaging combo's (5K+ meterless, very good Heat Gain, ranging from practical to impractical).

(2.) On the whole, Crescent mix-up isn't really meant to be safe anyway. If you're getting punished for it, I guess that means they're mashing, right? If they're mashing out of pressure, you might want to stick to more frame traps or staggered pressure, by delaying gatlings or ending in 2B/5B (anything that doesn't have much negative static difference or frame advantage).

I think positioning has a lot to do with it. I think Lambda's strongest mix-up position (in terms of high-low) are maybe 4-5 steps away from the opponent. If you're any closer, you're in a position for doing more pressure than mix-up attempts. Also, if you can position it, 4B and 3C mix-up are extremely hard to react to.

It's also possible that you're overdoing it. Crescent mix-up is a lot more safe under 236D oki, and a lot more viable if you have the Heat to RC it.

If you're whiffing it, I guess that means you're doing a j.D whiff or 214D instead? The only real secret to that is practice. It's not as if top players don't whiff TK feints as well, so it's not too big of an issue as long as it's not consistent.

(3.) For AA's (6A, 6D, 2D, 5A, 2C), it depends on the situation. I only recommend 6A, 6D, and 2D.

I think 6A, for up close and midrange, is the safest and most effective AA. For midrange and further, you could use 6D or 2D, as well as waiting until they're closer for a 6A. I don't recommend 2C, since it's slower than 6A and has bad recovery on whiff. 5A is alright since it's quick, but it's not used too often, and probably depends on the match-up (like the Hazama match-up).

For 6D and 2D, I just caution against throwing them out too often at midscreen, since if you whiff a Drive, you're stuck in essentially a second of recovery. Consider retreating instead of standing your ground here, but make sure to not corner yourself.

(4.) It's alright due to its good hitbox, but I don't recommend it. It's not too negative on block too, so it's fairly safe if blocked. I think it's better to stick with the other AA's.

Probably would be better in the simple questions and answers thread and will be moved there in a bit.

If I am full screen from Tager and magnetized, I always use put a gravity field on Tager to run it out. Whether or not you use gravity seed outside of combos depends on primarily on what type of player you are and what you think is most important. I use my gravity well whenever I feel like I need to since most of the time, I'll get it back before I need to use it in a combo.

You can safely do it whenever you make the opponent block for a long time (like 236D or 236236D). But an opponent can usually mash out of it and it is -8 on block so it isn't like you can usually press buttons after it. It is best used at around max range, though it would probably be better to focus on 4B(2)/3C mix-up.

Refer to the below posts for your AA question. Overheat's is best for the AAs you will be using the most. Also, I guess you could use the second hit of 4B has an AA but since it has 17 frames of start-up, it would be hard to use on reaction.

(1.) 6A is good as a midrange AA. Maybe a couple character lengths away. Basically the same with 2C, but 2C is slower, and not really seen much. It's more useful as a frametrap, IMO. 6D is really good for fullscreen, or near fullscreen zoning. At that range, it's completely safe, and can frustrate a lot of opponents. You can also use it at midscreen, but that's a bit more risky. 2D has very good range - good for poking out a Rachel from her air summons, for example - plus it's really fast. You can use 2D from midscreen and fullscreen.

Overheat covered the standard AAs so I'll try to explain when you would use the less than conventional ones.

5A: Typically when the opponent is above and in front of you and haven't committed to a move yet or committed to a move that has a large amount of start-up. Dash 5A is good in this situation due to its speed and hitbox (it also has a good number of active frames on it).

Air throw: When an opponent is jump cancelling their pressure or when you have them scared of your AAs and they jump in while barrier blocking.

2A/3C: These are used for pretty much the same thing and it is just lowering your hitbox to make the opponent whiff their jump-in and your move would punish them.

214D: Not really an AA but after you end a combo with 236B, if you opponent techs and air dashes towards you, 214D would trade with pretty much any attack they throw out.

Hi Guys, i know CP is out but i need some help.

Been learning lambda and got to reasonable level, i can do most her links/pickups but cannot get 236d to land from a 236c.

Of a CH 236C its fine, no problem there but from a non CH the blue beats start to reign down.

Ive been trying to 2366D on Litchi and Tsu as my training dummies, i can see from the table they require the dashing sickle, which i can do ok, my execution in general is good and i can do Anji's dashing fujin in GG so an familiar with the input.

Does the opponent have to be off the ground? I've been trying it from a raw 236c midscreen and from 236b > RC > 5dd > 236c and have no once red beated.

Any advice/links/vids to help?

Thanks

Yes I remember that toan and was hoping it would be reposted but as you've said it's removed, i think I may have a nico acc.

Thank god it's not poss of a raw cavalier, I was thinking, surely I'm not that bad!!

Yes I remember that toan and was hoping it would be reposted but as you've said it's removed, i think I may have a nico acc.

Thank god it's not poss of a raw cavalier, I was thinking, surely I'm not that bad!!

It's possible off a raw Cavalier if you land it as a counter. But I don't know how often that happens lol.

I don't recommend Dashing 236D's as a match-practical combo tool. Instead, I just recommend focusing on using the non-dash 236D version on the characters where it's possible. If you can do the Dashing 236D with absolutely no problems (a few people can), then disregard my advice.

quick question:

trying to optimize my combos from TK-crescent and rapid. Im doing this atm:

TK->Rapid->5DD->Cavalier->dash->5C->6C->6DD (after wallbounce) ->air jugle

for 4034 damage at the cost of 50 heat for the rapid.

Is this optimal? anything better i could do from TK->Rapid?

TK > RC > 5DD > 236C > 236D > 66 > 214D~C > 5C(all hits) > 4B[2nd hit only] > 2DD > jDD > j2DD > djDD > dj2DD > dj214D does 4625 damage and gains you 40 heat.

I'm pretty sure Overheat or Nedel would give you a better combo. Also, how close are you to the corner since that could change the combo.

Oh somehow i had the idea that sickle after cavalier was only after counter or character specific lol. Gonna try that.

Now to the main part.

Finally i got the common sense to incorporate 4B to my play. So my question is, is 2DD combo-able after 4B[2] at all times (if the other guy is crouching)? Sometimes he is just too close, im i not delaying it enough?

Basically i plan on doing this

4B[2] > 2DD > 214A > j214D > 66 > 6A > 6C > 236C > 66 > 2C > 5C > 4B[2] > 2DD > jDD > j2DD > jc > jDD > j2DD > j214D(3739/55)

Now on the corner.

I always do challenge 13

stuff->236B->RC->5C->sickle->214D~c->Cavalier-> backdash->4B -> 2DD-> air jugle

However, i always see dozens of variety in every online match i see when it comes to what i do after the backdash.

Some do 4B,2C,5C or 3C etc etc.

Just which one is the best? The differances between them?

Now to the main part.

Finally i got the common sense to incorporate 4B to my play. So my question is, is 2DD combo-able after 4B[2] at all times (if the other guy is crouching)? Sometimes he is just too close, im i not delaying it enough?

Basically i plan on doing this

4B[2] > 2DD > 214A > j214D > 66 > 6A > 6C > 236C > 66 > 2C > 5C > 4B[2] > 2DD > jDD > j2DD > jc > jDD > j2DD > j214D(3739/55)

Now on the corner.

I always do challenge 13

stuff->236B->RC->5C->sickle->214D~c->Cavalier-> backdash->4B -> 2DD-> air jugle

However, i always see dozens of variety in every online match i see when it comes to what i do after the backdash.

Some do 4B,2C,5C or 3C etc etc.

Just which one is the best? The differances between them?

If the other guy is crouching, and you get a 4B[#2 only] or a 4B[2] in there, then yes, 2DD is always possible as a follow-up. Remember, you can walk back a bit before doing 2DD.

X > 236B > RC > 5C > *6C > 236D > 214D~C > 236C > Y

- 4B is usually the best follow-up. However, it's probably the most difficult to land after 236C in the corner, depending on the height of the opponent after 236C.

- I don't recommend using 2C at all. I think the risk factor of dropping the combo by using 2C is potentially too high. Using 6A gets a similar result, and it's much easier.

- 6A is probably the easiest follow-up IMO. It allows you to combo into 6A > air ender very easily, so I recommend it if you're going for the KO with the DD ender.

- 5C is usually if you want to combo into 5C > 6C > 236C again, then do a Dashing 3C or Dashing TK feint as a mix-up after.

- 3C is when you want to put your opponent in a knockdown situation, where they'll be forced to deal with a mix-up. I recommend doing a 3C after doing two 236C's.

Beginner Lambda trying to improve. Since a lot of Nu/Lambda's combo pathways will change in CP, are there any B&B combos I can practice in Extend that will carry over into CP?

The ones I land most in matches right now are:

A+B > 6DD > 2DD > jc. > j.DD > j.2DD > jc. > j.DD > j.2DD > j.214D

236C > 5DD > 6DD > 2DD > jc. > j.DD > j.2DD > jc. > j.DD > j.2DD > j.214D

etc.

Really basic stuff. The new combo pathways seem to involve a lot of switching back and forth between Dia/Luna and juggling with Luna 214D in the middle of a combo, so it's not like I can really practice that right now. I need to work on being able to consistently drop a Calamity Sword at the end of my air combos if necessary and also adding the extra j.214D~C > j.6DD > j.2DD into the air combos, but I'm feeling the need for a bit of variety. Is there anything off of 5B/2B or 4B that looks to stay the same in CP?

What's a good/easy combo if I juggle with 4B not at the tip, but land both hits very close up on a crouching opponent? I've run into this situation sometimes and the positioning is sort of awkward if you're that close up.

Also, I've found that in the 236B~RC > 5D combos (which I assume will survive in CP), you have to input 5D almost immediately after the RC to be able to pick them up. But if you land a CH 236B, it floats them up a little bit slower right in front of you, so if you input 5D immediately, you pick them up right in front of Lambda's face and you can't land 6D afterwards. What can I do about this so I don't drop the combo if I land a CH?

Beginner Lambda trying to improve. Since a lot of Nu/Lambda's combo pathways will change in CP, are there any B&B combos I can practice in Extend that will carry over into CP?

The ones I land most in matches right now are:

A+B > 6DD > 2DD > jc. > j.DD > j.2DD > jc. > j.DD > j.2DD > j.214D

236C > 5DD > 6DD > 2DD > jc. > j.DD > j.2DD > jc. > j.DD > j.2DD > j.214D

etc.

Really basic stuff. The new combo pathways seem to involve a lot of switching back and forth between Dia/Luna and juggling with Luna 214D in the middle of a combo, so it's not like I can really practice that right now. I need to work on being able to consistently drop a Calamity Sword at the end of my air combos if necessary and also adding the extra j.214D~C > j.6DD > j.2DD into the air combos, but I'm feeling the need for a bit of variety. Is there anything off of 5B/2B or 4B that looks to stay the same in CP?

What's a good/easy combo if I juggle with 4B not at the tip, but land both hits very close up on a crouching opponent? I've run into this situation sometimes and the positioning is sort of awkward if you're that close up.

Also, I've found that in the 236B~RC > 5D combos (which I assume will survive in CP), you have to input 5D almost immediately after the RC to be able to pick them up. But if you land a CH 236B, it floats them up a little bit slower right in front of you, so if you input 5D immediately, you pick them up right in front of Lambda's face and you can't land 6D afterwards. What can I do about this so I don't drop the combo if I land a CH?

If you want to practice for CP, I honestly suggest playing CS1 instead, for a lot of reasons. If you can do that, we can work from there. If not...

I'd say to just keep on playing and work on getting better as a player. The more you can practice and better your execution, the better. These things do transfer, as long as you stay sharp.

I wouldn't worry about combo choice too much right now. I recommend just focusing on landing them. Being able to do Calamity at the end of air combo's is almost a must. The feint mid-combo in air Drive combo's isn't too important, but it'll help with your execution.

Just be prepared for a much faster game whenever it's released on consoles.

For a point blank 4B, assuming both hits (on a crouching opponent), you have enough time to walk back to adjust positioning:

(midscreen) 4B[2] > 4 > 2DD > j.2C > 2DD > 214A > TK > Dashing 6A > 6C > 236C > Dashing 5C > 2C > air ender

(corner) 4B[2] > TK > 5C > 6C > 214D > Dashing 5C > 6C > 236C > Dashing 3C

- it can be changed to 4B[2] > TK > 5C > 6C > 236D > 214D~C > 236C > Dashing 6A > air ender depending on the initial distance to the corner.

If you can do these two combo's, I'd be very impressed.

In CP, 236B only blows away the opponent on something like (Luna) 3C > 236B. If it's 5DD > 236B, they'll stay grounded.

I wouldn't worry about 236B CH's. It can be a slow move, and 236B CH's don't happen often. If it's a 236B CH, or even a normal 236B, you could try reacting to what happens. That is, if 236B is blocked, or if it's a CH, or if it's a normal hit... In all cases, I don't really recommend RC'ing.

For a CH 236B, it should be possible to react to the CH and adjust your timing. With that being said, if you're doing 236B CH > 5DD > (6DD whiff), then you could try 236B CH > 5DD > 2DD > 4B[#2 only] > 2DD > (j.2C > 2DD) > air ender.

Thank you! Yeah...I use a pad and it's honestly difficult sometimes to get 632146X out exactly when I want it, especially in the middle of a combo. Just need to practice more and get used to how it works. In CP, it might actually be easier for me in some cases depending on whether you can buffer j.632146D into the OD animation or not.

I think the j.214D~C > j.DD is more indicative of whether I can get the cancels to obey when I want them to come out and whether I'm executing properly, so if I can do that I'll be able to do a lot of other stuff with it without thinking about it, like naked j.2DD > j.214D~C > j.44 > j.2DD etc.

I'll try out those combos you gave me! Combos are not my strong suit, but I find that I'm slooooooooowly improving the more time I put in.

Unfortunately, I don't have CS1. Is CP actually a faster game, or did they just reduce the hitstun on things so there's less "down-time" in between exchanges?

If you can't react to a CH 236B, you can just change your default combo to 236B RC 6DD > 2DD. This works on CH and non-CH alike with no change in timing. However after 2DD, you will need to adjust your timing but you should have more than long enough to tell if it was 236B was a counter hit or not at that point.

Thank you! Yeah...I use a pad and it's honestly difficult sometimes to get 632146X out exactly when I want it, especially in the middle of a combo. Just need to practice more and get used to how it works. In CP, it might actually be easier for me in some cases depending on whether you can buffer j.632146D into the OD animation or not.

Unfortunately, I don't have CS1. Is CP actually a faster game, or did they just reduce the hitstun on things so there's less "down-time" in between exchanges?

You can probably buffer the j.632136D motion from OD to some extent. Have you considered using the Analog stick on your pad for some of these motions? It might makes things easier.

CP seems to have less hitstop (different from hitstun and untech time). If you're familiar with Rachel's Lv.3 j.2C, try bursting when you're hit with it. That's an excellent example of a move with a ton of hitstop.

Because there's less hitstop, it means that there's less buffering time.