Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HexaNoid

[CSE] Lambda Simple Questions And Answers Thread

So Do I have extra 5 frame or not?

I finally manage to finish that challenge, but I never be able to use it in any fight at all somehow. So I try no dash + 5A instead(easy). but then I realized it later that the chance to use 5A without dash is very low, because opponent has to be in deepest corner. dash 5B seem the best to me, but I never be able to manage it in any fight. even if it is just AI.

Dash 5A is easier. That's what I do. If you are having a hard time getting down dash 5B then don't do it, its not like the world is going to fall apart around you because you can't do the more difficult combo.

How would I go about learning to air 2DD after 5DD? I've been able to get air 2DD after 5DD in the air sometimes but not consistently enough resulting in dropped combos because of teching how could I improve my timing so I can get it right all the time? What kind of interval do I need to leave in between 5DD and 2DD?

For j.DD > j.2DD or dj.DD > dj.2DD to connect 99% of the time, you have to have a little delay between the j.DD and j.2DD. So you're not supposed to mash it as quick as possible, nor are you supposed to delay too long. Just a short delay. Keep on practicing.

Make sure that they're not too close. It works if they are farther away, but then j.214D might connect. In a case like this, you could use j.2DD, sometimes dj.2DD, to bring them up a bit.

If you're going to use the feint in an air combo, then make sure it's not near the end of a long combo (eg. a corner combo) or a bad prorater (like a Throw). It's usually done off of something like 6DD > 2DD > j.DD > j.2DD > j.214D~C.

Can someone give me some tips on how to deal with pressure? It seems like as soon as I get hit once the match is over.

Wait for a way out or until you get 50% heat to use CA, and block like your life depended on it.

Lambda doesn't have any invincible reversals instead of calamity sword, so there's no way to DP your way out of the pressure.

So i got my copy of bbcsex and a ps3 less than a week ago (was playing on psp CT+CS2 for a something more than 8 months) and i think i need to drastically alter my playstyle.

Basically i was playing with bots during all that time and now with real players i find myself lacking a lot.

Basically let me tell you about my playstyle, its just:

1)backdash

2)D/2D/spike chaser/whatever

3)block if he catches me

4)find a way to land a 236B

5)repeat from 1

When it comes to close range i don't know a thing

So i want to get more agressive, more diverse, you get the picture, any ideas on how to achieve that?

Was thinking of going straight for a 3C into gravity seed, or a 2B but this turned out a bad idea quite a lot of times, for example against a tsubaki later on today.

Also tried to throw some 4B when im not that far away instead of backdashing, gave medium results.

I know im not that specific, but can you give any tips at all?

Kinda irrelevant with the above but im having some troubles to adjust to ps3 from psp, you know the gamepad, TV etc, hope i'll get past it anytime soon.

First ask yourself how are you getting hit. Is it when you whiff a sword? Is it when you are close range and try to poke him? Do you have problems blocking mix-up or trying to escape pressure? Once you figure that out, you can focus on changing that.

Gonna have to use that sickle storm oki friend. 3C > gravity seed isn't good because they're already blocking low, they just need to wait for you to finish and then punish you. TK crescent saber mix-up is also helpful. Want to get out of the corner? Instant blocking is literally the only way. If you want to use 4B, you can do it on rushdown, with 4B[2] for an overhead, be sure sickle storm is keeping them in place before you do it though. Also, I'd recommend not doing 236B unless its off a 5D hit confirm or something, otherwise you're in a predictable situation because 9 times out of ten you will backdash and your opponent will get you. If you really wanna freak them out, air forward dash j.B/j.C, that'll net you some brownie points.

Don't forget to use 6A and 2C, it's useful a lot of the time. 214D~C is also very useful so make use of it more if you can, to get around the map, bait jump outs, etc. That's about all I have for the moment. Hope that helps.

TK crescent is out of the question cause i just can't do it lol. More than 1 hour in practise and i was able to hit it a mere 5 times. (is this normal btw, or im the only one with such input problems?)

About the sickle storm isn't it dangerous to use it as a starter from mid range? i only used it after a 3C or inverted when my opopnent was far away.

What to you think about 236A from close range, in order to pass throught the oponent? Dangerous?From what videos i have seen i don't remember the japanese using it that much, unless im wrong.

j.B and j.C were great help! Managed to could my opponent quite a lot of times of guard with em.

First ask yourself how are you getting hit. Is it when you whiff a sword? Is it when you are close range and try to poke him? Do you have problems blocking mix-up or trying to escape pressure? Once you figure that out, you can focus on changing that.

I started doing that for the past 3 days. Some things i noticed:

Got hit from doing spike chaser too close (kinda redued it)

Got hit from doing a stupid j.2D as soon as i jumped above my opponent to escape a corner (also reduced it)

The majority of the times i got caught though were from a misplaced airbackdash with a j.2D. This is actually i stupid habit im trying to stop but after you have been playing wrong like this for some months its not the easiest thing (yea i recently started trying to actually improve that i got my ps3, during my cs2 days in psp i really played just random with overused bad moves that got stuck in my muscle memory lol )

thanks for the help guys ^^

About your ''misplacement'' of air backdash.2D: If the opponent is too close or dashing in while you're in the air, you might want to j.C instead. You can also combo with it by doing dashing 2A - X once you land.

Regarding sickle storm: you don't exactly want it as a combo starter. The point of doing X - 3C - 236D is to force your opponent to block on his wake up and score a free mixup (dashing j.X/dashing jump (land) 2B...). If you do this, your pressure is safe and just need to worry about having a good enough mixup to mess with your opponent's head.

Regarding 236A: When your back is against the corner and you manage to force your opponent to block, incorporating 236A to go through your opponent and out of the corner is very good. I personaly use it as a throw set-up (5D - 236A - throw) or fatal counter set-up (5D - 236A - 214A. If you didn't know, 214A has throw invulnerability for most of it's start-up frames so if the opponent tries to throw, it'll go through you).

I hope this can help you some more.

when I play Lambda, one of my main combo is C [repeat/Hold Down] > 6C > 3C > 236D

Q1: Is this even a viable way to lock down opponents in close range?

Q2: When 236D confirms, I try it to go further with 236C > 2dd > jc > j2DD > jc > jDD > j2DD > j214D. Knowing that there are steps missing (roughly 4 more hits I can do, I believe), is there something more I can do or variants I should consider? I also tend to drop this a lot, majority of it happening prior to the second jc, or missing the j214D. Is this just going into practice and getting that timing right?

Q3: It's inevitable that once I do this a couple of time, my are going to be smart. I've had a bad habit of continuing the execution of this combo even if 3c is blocked (although recently, practicing against CPU Lv100 made me learn NOT to do this), but at times they are able to recover fast enough to block the incoming 236D. Is there anyway to continue adding the pressure by utilizing 2147D to break their guard primer, or should I just back away?

I still can't believe (and is still making the mistake) that 236C can be grabbed out of (against Tager, this sucks), and 4B can be blocked on the second hit, denying launch, and leaving your vulnerable. Oh yea, might as well add...

Q4: I tend to favor 236D rather than 214D. Should I not be?

@Q1: I'm quite uncertain if you can link 3C after 6C. But, assuming the combo hits, doing X - 5C(8) - 3C - 236D oki is very good to keep the opponent blocking and scoring your mixup. If the opponent is blocking, you might want to do X - 5C(x) - 2C - TK/TK feint/Instant air backdash. Adding mixups or retreating during your blockstrings is always good to consider, that way your pressure is safer-ish. You can also do 5C(x) - 4B(#2 only) if they are blocking low. With time you'll get the right spacing and it'll be pretty hard for the opponent to block it.

@Q2: You might just want to consider doing the following combo: X - 236C - 2DD - hj.DD - j.2DD - dj.DD - dj.2DD - 214D. Your spacing should be good most of the time and the proration % high enough for j.214D to land without blue beating. Otherwise, you might want to consider training mode to get it down correctly (right spacing, etc.)

@Q3: As I said in response to question 1, you'll want to consider using moves that you can jump cancel. Otherwise, if you know your opponent is going to be aggressive, expecting a 236D, you can do a 236B instead. 236A can also be used if you can go through, or even as a throw set-up if you know you'll stop in front of the character.

@Q4: It depends on the character you fight. Litchi, Tao and Rachel (possibly others) can get out of 236D oki on their wake up, so you'll probably want to use 214D on them. Also, when you do X - 236B and the opponent is sent to the other end of the screen, some people tend to mash tech while in the air, thus evading the 236D and most probably air dashing in your face for a free combo. For this reason, you might want to do 214D. At worse, it won't hit anything, at best the opponent will airdash into it and you get a free combo yourself. So really, it all depends on what combo ender you use (3C vs 236B), the character you fight and your opponent's habits. IMO, 236D is currently one of the best possible oki in the game due to it's high chip damage (4% per chip!!!!) and free mixup (it's efficiency is all up to you though), but you have to remember that 214D is also very useful in many other situations.

wait, that 6C is supposed to be 2C (forgot 6C was one that can launch people to the wall... sorta healing my wrist so... lol...)

time to learn high jump (lol...), and I really should learn other 236 A/B... I don't grab usually due to how the computer can get out of it over 90% of the time... I probably should use that to figure out grab timing (lol)...

thx for advice (I actually don't use her cancel for crescent... I probably should start using it more often...)

Playing vs actual people is different than the CPU. When playing vs CPU, you can just stay away and spam 214D/214D-C and they'll get into it or get stucked in a air backdash loop because of the silly AI. Players will, of course, have better intelligence in most situations, you just have to find their flaws and patterns and adjust to it.

Another thing you can do for your ground combo is this: X - 2C - TK. Assuming the Crescent Saber hits, it should start a new combo with better proration than where you were beforehand and you can Rapid cancel it into 5DD - 236C - X for another combo. But you knew this already, I assume.

When the opponent block 3C he will have time to punish/IAD (if they are too far away) during the 236D startup, so it would be a nice idea to do 3C>236A/3C>236B if they are too close, and 3C>214D if they are a little far away (if they try to IAD they probably are going to be countered).

Sadly, no I didn't since I still haven't incorporated rapids into my combo repertoire (although I have seen it). I asked this question because at times hard CPU does get away from the 236D combo, in a situation that is similar to what Blue Link said. CPU also helps me in what I shouldn't do (as in priorities or where I am vulnerable, so right now it's still helpful)

You can't combo into 236D from 3C (outside of CH 3C). If you land 3C, you do 236D to force your opponent to neutral tech and eat your mix-up. It isn't meant to actually hit the opponent most of the time. If they are blocking 3C, then you don't want to do 236D since they can punish you for it easily most of the time.

When the opponent block 3C he will have time to punish/IAD (if they are too far away) during the 236D startup, so it would be a nice idea to do 3C>236A/3C>236B if they are too close, and 3C>214D if they are a little far away (if they try to IAD they probably are going to be countered).

You know what's scarier than 3C? 2B. Because Lambda can do a lot of scary stuff off that simple poke. 2B > j.214D (2B isn't jump cancel-able but it is neutral on block, so opponents won't readily mash buttons if you do it) 2B > tick throw. 2B > 4B. 2B > 2B, yay footsie pokes. It should be noted that 2B has higher prorate than 3C, thus its the better starter. You can easily do 2B hit confirm into 3C to cause some damage. 2B is just an overall good normal and should be your go to poke and not 3C, provided you decide to go close range.

If you really want to lock someone down close range, I would suggest doing crescent mixup instead, or 4B[2]. Just have an escape plan and don't over commit.

another question:

I am on CSII PSP (no comments on this matter), and I seem to not get these inputs...

-665D: at times it keeps doing a sliding 6D, but if I delay a bit I do a 5D towards the end of the slide. Is that what it's supposed to look like?

-445D: it doesn't come out at all

-445C: it doesn't come out at all

any pro tips on this, or are those input only for CSX?