Sign in to follow this  
RisingStars

[AC] May Tactical Discussion/Questions/Help

I have a question.

Are there any tutorial videos for May combo's?

Having trouble doing her combo's.

I mentally crapped my pants when I realized that a May mirror would determine who got paid at FR. Much worse, a May mirror with someone who knew the May specific combos and would not drop them. Twas a great match, and it went to game 3. Good shit Kyle.

AXIS: What's the problem? The newcomer primer answers most of the questions people have had, so I'd give that a look.

Oh mad late response I wanted to ask if there was a video for these combos because i keep trying them but I don't get how they work.

especially off of OHK midscreen the 6HS hits too late and they tech or they get hit but I can't dolphin because of the recovery.

unless the notation is wrong I am confused.

Also despite the guide telling me I don't understand exactly what JI does and how to do it.

Edit: I understand how jump install works never mind about that.

Edited by A.X.I.S.

You want the 6H to hit at the top of the swing, so you do it right after you recover from the OHK. AS SOON AS you tap 6H (tap so it doesn't charge), you need to roll to 2 to charge for the dolphin; you use the time from the hitstop to charge for the dolphin, which is done as late as possible (right before she begins to bring the anchor towards the ground).

For the record, I don't do this combo often at all. You build more meter with the standard loop, and the damage difference isn't big enough to warrant the added difficulty. I do 6H>SVD to finish extended combos off of JI dolphin>airdash H stuff, though.

Oh lala.

ABA- 3.5-6.5

No reversal, no escape. LOTS of defense

Anji- 7-3

His play-style is excessively risky vs May's play-style

Axl- 5-5

meh.

Baiken- 5.5-4.5

Play it right, it's not bad.

Bridget- 6.5-3.5

J.HS risk/reward is always in your favor.

Chipp- 5.5-4.5

Hit him.

Dizzy- 6-4

Hit her.

Eddie- 5-5

Hoop-set

Faust- 5-5

Approach smart

I-no- 7-3

Her play-style is excessively risky vs May's play-style

Jam- 5-5

Be smart, bait a lot.

Johnny- 7-3

His play-style is excessively risky vs May's play-style

Ky- 4-6

headaches.

Millia- 5.5-4.5

approach smart & hit her

HOS- 5-5

about as even as it gets

Pot- 4-6

Don't approach... fuck Potemkin.

Robo- 5-5

Don't jump, have good defense & character specific BnB's

Slayer- 4.5-5.5

Play smart, hope you don't get hit. Everything is a risk.

Sol- 6-4

Footsies

Testament- 6-4

Rush

Venom- 5-5

About as even as HOS

Zappa- 4.5-5.5

Ghost are annoying, Raoh hurts, you have no reversal, he always does. This match takes some "getting used to".

Where are these from?? Yours or one of the many tier lists from JPN, new or outdated?

I agree with I-no, as I do this one a lot, even though I consider myself decent against May, but I reallllllllllly disagree with the johnny one, I wouldn't even consider it a BAD matchup, more like 4-6 at worst or 4.5-5.5. The one thing that rapes Johnny though, like you said, is that every single normal he decides to stick out is a very dedicated decision, and other than maybe 5p, 5k, 6p, and 2s, anything else on whiff is a huge 50% life punish or so by may. Johnny having a 70% life punish though on a missed 3k, and sweep combos into coin into more combo into easy one hits helps a lot, and 6p+high mist finer control space decently.

the ancient matchup chart from 2007 put may-johnny at dead even, and i'm still inclined to agree with that. the matchup turns gg into tekken; both players die if they whiff anything.

I agree with this stuff. Johnny can be a pain. Once he knows what buttons he can't press (the ones that lose to CH 6P into dizzy into death) then it becomes really tough.

Hi May forums. I have a few questions.

1 - Is May a hard Character to learn?

2 - What's the best thing to do after you knocked down the opponent? Is there a general thing to do or it's match-up dependant?

3 - Is 6P a good anti-air?

4 - And last, can any of you give me an explanation(don't need to be as big as a wall of text, but something a bit more detailed, if possible) of why is May vs I-no so incredibly bad for I-no's Side?

Hi May forums. I have a few questions.

1 - Is May a hard Character to learn?

2 - What's the best thing to do after you knocked down the opponent? Is there a general thing to do or it's match-up dependant?

3 - Is 6P a good anti-air?

4 - And last, can any of you give me an explanation(don't need to be as big as a wall of text, but something a bit more detailed, if possible) of why is May vs I-no so incredibly bad for I-no's Side?

hi i havent played in 4 years

1 - Not really in AC, compared to other games. Her combos aren't terribly hard but require fairly strict timings to do well. Her neutral game is very strong but it's easy to play sloppy. Hardest part about playing May is learning patience as it's really easy to spaz out with her and fly all over the place and she really is OK just keeping the game neutral with a hoop charged if you want to be able to beat the good characters.

2 - It is matchup dependent. Some chars you want a hoop, others setting up tick throws with jumps and/or 5k, some you want to FRC a hoop and do a combination of the two or just do a few vert dolphins to be confusing, and you need to mix it up a bit regardless. An common hole in May players' games is using the same okizemes over and over without really thinking about the whys and matchup implications.

3 - no not really it's mostly an anti-ground poke, oddly. use it as anti-air in very specific situations to insta-win a round but don't rely on it to beat things. anti air with dolphins or j.h or other safer things

4 - May's moves beat the fuck out of ino's moves. You can throw out a lot of different pokes that wreck her pretty badly. She is airborne a lot which is not very safe against may, and attacks from angles that may does not really give a shit about. May also outdamages her by a wide margin with much easier combos. even if you are losing as may you can take a big risk and sometimes kill ino for free

Edited by poon

Does May still her have her loop in Reload, so like her combos are similar.

Reload is all I got to train atm - Wii controller is useless for FRCs, etc.

May's combos are completely different in reload. She uses h.vert dolphin FRC into double jump or dash j.h, land, repeat when going for big damage. Her best iterations involve using working in (vs aerial opponent) combo into j.s, jh, land, vert dolphin FRC jumpcancel j.h, land, dashing jump, repeat. these are relatively hard but do a shitstorm of damage.

dolphin frcs are a million times better in reload and are tons of fun actually, reload may is way more fun but difficult than ac may

Just picked up a PS2 stick and GGXXAC last week. Out of the entire cast May was the only one the stuck with me, what with the irony of a chick her size doing retarded-ass damage. Main thing I'm working on at the moment is ending Dolphin Loops. I get 2 reps of S, HS, SVD but I don't know how to end it.

Jump installs are giving me trouble as well, mainly because I have no idea if I'm doing it right or not.

P.S. Anyone going to SB:A? I'm planning on pot monstering in the AC side tourney, then trying to get some help from the players there.

Edited by miller483

End dolphin loops with [2]5p => HVD typically. Some characters you can pick back up with a FB jackhound but usually only do this for a kill.

Where are you having trouble jump installing

End dolphin loops with [2]5p => HVD typically. Some characters you can pick back up with a FB jackhound but usually only do this for a kill.

Where are you having trouble jump installing

The 2nd rep of dolphin loop. I do S,store jump, HS, but the dolphin doesn't come out. I think i'm losing the charge or something.

You need to delay the dolphin slightly. You can cancel very late after the 5h, so give it an extra 5-10 frames and you'll start hitting it consistently.

You want the 6H to hit at the top of the swing, so you do it right after you recover from the OHK. AS SOON AS you tap 6H (tap so it doesn't charge), you need to roll to 2 to charge for the dolphin; you use the time from the hitstop to charge for the dolphin, which is done as late as possible (right before she begins to bring the anchor towards the ground).

For the record, I don't do this combo often at all. You build more meter with the standard loop, and the damage difference isn't big enough to warrant the added difficulty. I do 6H>SVD to finish extended combos off of JI dolphin>airdash H stuff, though.

I know a good trick for learn how to do 6H dolphin.

Pick in training May vs Potem, put may very close to him and make 6HS uncharged, you will see very clear how the archor stops some frames, you need this kind of effect when you make 6HS combos if you dont get it later of a OHK you have to push 6Hs faster.

I don´t do this combo too, but because I miss it too many times and I prefer make guarranted damage (I recomend train before some especific combos to each character)

I am not going to dabble w/ +R info and vids until the US version releases. than I am back 100%.

See everyone in a few months!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alog4KGsMhc

Lots of interesting stuff in this video full of Kedako and Efute.

Notable stuff I didn't know;

-OHK has a FRC point after the whiff, making it harder to punish if you see it coming and move

-RR causes a knockdown from an air gatling (character specific? Only saw it vs. Pot)

-Corner loops use 6P now. SO MANY STUNS

The point is, she's not dead yet.

Yo peeps what's up I'm new to GG scene and I want to main May since she been one of my favorite characters in this game but I wanted to know where should,I start with learning this character ?

Learn how to Counter-Hit w/

J.HS

5HS

J.2HS

2HS

Once they respect your ability to counterhit, they will press less buttons. That is when you land the command throw.

Virtually every opener leads into a standard combo w/ May.

Opener, 2D, FB-HS-HD, 66,S, HS, SVD, S, HS, SVD, P, HS-VD

Sign in to follow this