Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veteru

OLD! Sol Combo Thread [GGAC]

I don't really recommend watching kusoru on how to play Sol. I do recommend watching him if you want some lulz though.

That guy is actually the main reason I still play sol, It was around the time when I started playing GGX2 that I realized how ridiculously campy sol actually is, and he's always been a bit of injoke with my friends, even the ones that don't play GG. Kusoru understands this so well, guy is my hero. :v:

It depends on how you want to play with Sol really, Kusoru does weird shit but often enough for good reasons, he's like the man with the iron balls so to speak. Others are simply more conservative.

I'm looking for some SW loops off of WT on light characters. The loops I already know are: (All damage tested on May) WT, dash, 2H, nj.CLSW, 2H, nj.H, CLSW, nj.S, CLSW, BR = 161 WT, dash, j.D, CLSW, 2H, nj.H, CLSW, nj.S, CLSW, BR = 163 WT, dash, j.D, CLSW, 2H, nj.CLSW, 2H, nj.CLSW, BR = 169 I also know of the WT, iad.S, CLSW out of a corner, but I'm not sure how to finish it. Anyone have any other ones? Aside from the standard j.S, CLSW one, of course. =P

For the WT > iad j.S > CLSW you continue with j.CLSW x2 then j.S VV > TO

The timing is different from doing 2D > BR (RC) > CLSW x3.

I play a Jam a lot, and the WT> iad j.S combo is just so fun to do.

I think the best damage you can get on may off a wild throw is: WT > j.s > clsw > j.clsw > j.clsw > nj.S > clsw > BR The only thing is that the BR usually knocks down the other way (behind sol) and the timing can be tight, but should work from anywhere. Most Japanese players go for the 2HS > j.clsw combos though. They are somewhat easier to do and you can sometimes get 3 clsw's then a 2Hs > BR (for a total of 4 2Hs) if you know what to look for. Oh and don't do the 2Hs combos when you are throwing them out of the corner :)

BR knocking down backwards is really not a huge deal. Ideally you want the knockdown that puts them closest in the corner, but you can still do oki on them if they fly behind your head after a BR. Key thing is to get the knockdown.

yeah I just checked the dmg on the combo I posted and it does 181 with the j.S in front and 190 if you start with a j.D, but that's pretty difficult to get consistently. (tested on May of course) I just mentioned the possibility of the behind knockdown from BR to say it's probably not the best combo to do if the corner is in front of you. Specifically the distance that the 2Hs combo gives you a garunteed knockdown in the corner and is a great deal easier.

so i was watching a kusoru vid the other day and saw him do an interesting practical combo.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jLTwiYrLorM

4:14

After landing a j.HS beating what ever ariel attack the ky attempted, he follows it with a BR instead of just ending it with VV. this allows him to land and relaunch leading to CLSW. i saw him do the same thing on an eddie player as well outside of the corner. the combo is

air-air

j.HS(j.S works too)>br>land>5k>j.p>j.k>CLSW> continue

if you miss the land 5k you score a knockdown anyway, and you can be followed up with some hefty damage.

Ok I need to work on my light weight combos. I see that Wild throw one I will have to try. I'd been doing the 2H > SW two or three times then BR but I fail at getting that consistently >_< Is there a GV combo (such as K > 2H > GV) in which you can get 3 CLSW AND a knockdown on light weights from hitting them into the corner? I can get 3+KD with just (j.S > SW)x3 > BR if I'm taking them out of the corner (done on May), but I can't seem to get 3 CLSW without sacrificing the knockdown when hitting them into the corner. (specifically on may, millia, baiken, jam, bridget) Also, I see people do that JI combo so you're higher up when the VV hits, what exactly is the input for that? and when exactly is it a good idea? (it may finally be time I learn to JI :v: ) EDIT: nevermind, I figured it out =P

A few things I've been tinkering with, perhaps not new material, but something that can be integrated into sol-play. First, just a combo set up, you may have seen it, but I think its worth putting into bnb's. If you land a 2D > revolver RC > SW deep in the corner and they bounce behind you, The follow-up of "IAD > j.S > SW" is easier than it looks, works on all the cast with a little change, and leads to an empty forward jump > sidewinder on almost everbody, on characters that are kind of light like millia you can get multiple empty jump SW's after it, and anyone lighter, just keep it up. Plus its pretty :D Also, I wanted to know if anyone knew about a kind of "fast-fall" Sidewinder. I may just be way behind the times. But what I did was buffer in a side-winder into a super jump/air dash. It causes the sidewinder to come out immediately after air dashing and then you fall at an accelerated rate. I've tried to incorporate this into combos with a lil bit of success, but I can actually see this as a way to gain ground, the sidewinder covers a good chunk of air as you're moving forward and it recovers fairly well once you hit the ground. If anyone else wants to experiment with this, the command I'm doing is 23696 H, and the result should be almost a triangle jump with a SW in it. And one set-up I've come up with is midscreen - Fafnir ~ 46D > Fastfall sidewinder...SW loops and after the fastfall, if you landed the clean hit, you seem to recover faster afterwards, I'm not sure if thats a side-effect of doing the move like that or if I'm imagining things ps, combo copywrited CV material :eng101:

A few things I've been tinkering with, perhaps not new material, but something that can be integrated into sol-play.

First, just a combo set up, you may have seen it, but I think its worth putting into bnb's. If you land a 2D > revolver RC > SW deep in the corner and they bounce behind you, The follow-up of "IAD > j.S > SW" is easier than it looks, works on all the cast with a little change, and leads to an empty forward jump > sidewinder on almost everbody, on characters that are kind of light like millia you can get multiple empty jump SW's after it, and anyone lighter, just keep it up. Plus its pretty :D

Also, I wanted to know if anyone knew about a kind of "fast-fall" Sidewinder. I may just be way behind the times. But what I did was buffer in a side-winder into a super jump/air dash. It causes the sidewinder to come out immediately after air dashing and then you fall at an accelerated rate. I've tried to incorporate this into combos with a lil bit of success, but I can actually see this as a way to gain ground, the sidewinder covers a good chunk of air as you're moving forward and it recovers fairly well once you hit the ground. If anyone else wants to experiment with this, the command I'm doing is

23696 H, and the result should be almost a triangle jump with a SW in it. And one set-up I've come up with is

midscreen - Fafnir ~ 46D > Fastfall sidewinder...SW loops and after the fastfall, if you landed the clean hit, you seem to recover faster afterwards, I'm not sure if thats a side-effect of doing the move like that or if I'm imagining things

ps, combo copywrited CV material :eng101:

i actually just tried that sidewinder lol kinda fun to use.

dont think i can do it in a real fight though but im gonna try it when i get more experienced at it.

Veteru already posted up about the IAD SW when I asked about it. It's not exactly anything new. The input can be tricky though and takes some practice. You can land it off some interesting things, including both Tyrant Raves.

Dunno if this is new or useful at all, but I think on some characters (tested on Ky), you can actually land a tk.SW after Command throw with strict timing. Is this useful, or do the other options yield more damaging combos?

Yeah, that's been known for a while. It's usually better to use a jumping attack into SW though.

Anything you can do to land a sidewinder directly to another sidewinder is good... sticking normals in between almost never helps, unless it allows you to perform additional sidewinders when you otherwise could not. The reason most people don't use IAD sidewinders is not just the difficulty of performing the motion (which is reasonable), but also the difficulty of lining yourself up for the clean hit. Depending on the exact combo, sometimes you need to perform a higher IAD, or a SJIAD, etc. -- So many additional variables scare away most Sol users. The only thing I use IAD SW for is against some of the ultralights (like May) to transition from sweep -> bandit revolver -> rc -> sidewinder, to the "forward jumping sidewinder" combo.

Exact notation looks something like this:

2D, BR RC, SW, IAD SW -> forward jumping SW x3 or 4 (depending how greedy I feel) -> BR.

For this combo, if you don't do at least 3 forward jumping sidewinders, getting the BR knockdown is pretty tough (you need the corner to be reasonably close, or else May won't fall low enough for your BR to hit her).

Also one last thing concerning sticking normals between sidewinder: Even if you are skilled enough / have the right combo situation to peform 6 rep sidewinder loop, if you stick a normal (or multiple ones) between each rep... sometimes, even if you manage to end with bandit revolver, it becomes air techable.

There are some more advanced applications of IAD SW that are more combo video-ish, which involve performing multiple IAD sidewinders in a row. I can't do these consistantly, but the damage on them is pretty sweet... guess I should practice more often.

Anything you can do to land a sidewinder directly to another sidewinder is good... sticking normals in between almost never helps, unless it allows you to perform additional sidewinders when you otherwise could not. The reason most people don't use IAD sidewinders is not just the difficulty of performing the motion (which is reasonable), but also the difficulty of lining yourself up for the clean hit. Depending on the exact combo, sometimes you need to perform a higher IAD, or a SJIAD, etc. -- So many additional variables scare away most Sol users. The only thing I use IAD SW for is against some of the ultralights (like May) to transition from sweep -> bandit revolver -> rc -> sidewinder, to the "forward jumping sidewinder" combo.

Exact notation looks something like this:

2D, BR RC, SW, IAD SW -> forward jumping SW x3 or 4 (depending how greedy I feel) -> BR.

For this combo, if you don't do at least 3 forward jumping sidewinders, getting the BR knockdown is pretty tough (you need the corner to be reasonably close, or else May won't fall low enough for your BR to hit her).

Also one last thing concerning sticking normals between sidewinder: Even if you are skilled enough / have the right combo situation to peform 6 rep sidewinder loop, if you stick a normal (or multiple ones) between each rep... sometimes, even if you manage to end with bandit revolver, it becomes air techable.

There are some more advanced applications of IAD SW that are more combo video-ish, which involve performing multiple IAD sidewinders in a row. I can't do these consistantly, but the damage on them is pretty sweet... guess I should practice more often.

Yeah this is basically what I was thinking, that starting off with WT -> tk.SW would be better because you're not sticking an extra j.S/j.H/j.D/2H in there. I'm assuming the benefits you get in slight damage and ease of knockdown is heavily character dependent though, so it's probably a lot safer to stick that extra attack in there before the SW.

I made that thread about bandit revolver frc and they laughed and didn't consider the possibilities... and then closed my thread... and then I found this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=221tYK1Hh2M&NR=1

So yeah.

Get at this dick!

Gimmicks. If you haven't seen this in actual match footage (read: done by good Japanese players, and no Kusoru doesn't count), then it's not exactly useful. The concept is there, but it's executed horribly due to the fact that you're using 25% meter for a high/low mix up. You're better off spending the tension on GF FRC. On very rare occasions you could get some sort of gimmick off of BR FRC in a pressure string, but it's not something you'd want to use as a reliable mix up/pressure string. Most of the time you'll be using BR FRC in combos.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but japanese players suck. They don't have two brains, and are not given superhuman abilities from birth, competition is just more accessible to them. Just the way people think they are generally smarter when really academic success is just more valued to them and they study hard. Why put them on a pedestal when you can practice and surpass them? They should not be able to dictate how we play the game. GF FRC is a gimmick. And it can be just as unsafe. You make it sound like br is unsafe to do when there is no 100% foolproof pressure or mixup without any holes. You're supposed to take advantage of when the opponent tries to use these holes. If you don't think that at multiple points in a blockstring being able to send a flying sol at your enemy with attacks that have to be blocked high instead of the usual low is a good thing then I don't know what to tell you. ON TOPIC It is possible to combo from non ch 6p and then a forward jump. You'd have to be kind of deep though. There may not be chances everyday to hit your opponent with this, but it is an option and before we get into the gimmicky argument again this is the combo thread, and not the strategy thread. It'd be a deep 6p, 9 js SW. works on all the cast. On Pot it would be 6p, 9 js jh SW but the timing for that is about as tight and firm as a 9 year old. This combo doesn't work on robo-ky whatsoever. When comboing from vv frc it may be best to rc after the second hit and delay? To RC after the first hit you'd have to add like, three extra normal strikes in or so for the next SW.

Dunno about the 6P stuff. Stopped playing GG for now....

About VV after the second hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjak1SLPk9U

@1:32 Sol does VV(2hits) RC SW and gets pretty good damage from that. Players just RC VV's 1st hit on reaction whether if it hits or is blocked before going airborne because it's safer.

As you can see RCing after the second does pretty good damage though.

Yeah, I just got an extra like 45 damage. With 6 Sidewinders. WOOT. What's the best way damage wise to combo off BB, if and when it hits? One of my friends likes to gv into a clean hit and go into SW. some people do it in the corner and follow with fafnir>tyrant rave. I usually run up and cs, 2h, 9 js SW. I'll usually replace the js with a jh for lighter chars. Are there any possible combos I'm missing out on?

I made that thread about bandit revolver frc and they laughed and didn't consider the possibilities... and then closed my thread... and then I found this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=221tYK1Hh2M&NR=1

So yeah.

Get at this dick!

Get it right: The japanese player(s) made a video about Bandit Revolver FRC, and then later you made an extremely limited thread mentioning BR frc's use for comboing after jD, which was closed for not being useful enough to merit its own thread. You admit in your own thread that your post is nothing groundbreaking (read: old news), and Brent-Quest's reply actually contained more useful information than your original post. There must be a reason the thread was closed...

The truth is, you can actually get away with creating duplicate and/or unnecessary threads here on Dustloop... you just need to make sure the content inside is valuable enough to cause people to overlook it. Since you failed on that aspect, your thread was closed.

When this thread was created, there was already a pre-existing Sol Combo thread... and for some strange reason, the Sol moderator chose not to delete/close this one. I wonder what reason he could have had...

Hey, has anyone tried making combos off of BnN CLGV?

I tend to do GV after a wild throw on A.B.A. and Robo-Ky. The combo I use is:

WT CLGV dash j.D (long pause) CLSW land 2H j.S CLSW nj.S CLSW BR

I am unable to test at the moment, but, iirc, it does 157 damage to both. Be careful with it, though, as I've actually had the BR become techable against A.B.A.

Also, VV(2) RC does tend to do more damage, but I almost always do VV(1) RC because not only is it safe on block, but it gives frame advantage to enforce pressure and mixups, as opposed to leaving me in the air directly above my opponent, which is often not the safest place to be.

And those BR FRC mixups...I dunno, they just seem too slow to me. That and their reliance on 5H makes them even easier to see coming. The cross-up okizeme one might be more effective, but you can do the same mixup for no tension without the crossup, and the crossup isn't fast enough to throw people off more than the first few times they see it. On the plus side, it looks to me like BR FRC could be used to punish slide head. I'll have to do some testing once I get my PS2 set up again.

It wasn't a know it all topic. I was asking for ideas, and got way less ideas suggested to me than were in that video.

No offense intended, but isn't that what we have the general Sol discussion thread for?

And on that note, shouldn't that be where this discussion should be as well? =P