Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veteru

OLD! Sol Combo Thread [GGAC]

Man, I cannot grasp the combo notes for this game. Could someone break this down for me and give me the most simplistic and basic combo Sol has?

What do you mean you don't understand the notes? Which combo doesn't make sense? If you don't understand the notation, like the difference between 5K and 2K, then read this: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Notation. The first section explains notation, while the following terms explain how most combos are generally written, though there's usually a bit of leeway between how different players write them out.

An extremely simple combo, then is something like this: 5K, c.S, 2D, BR/VV. If that doesn't make sense, then it's like this:

Since the number pad indicates direction, and the letter denotes which button, you combine them to get the move you're looking for.

-5K = neutral Kick. Sol's fastest normal. You start a lot of combos with it.

-c.S = close Slash. In GG, every character has a close and far version of their standing Slash. The distance that the two activate varies between characters.

-2D = crouching Dust. Universal sweep. One of Sol's best moves.

-BR/VV = Bandit Revolver or Volcanic Viper, whichever is best for the situation. Sol can combo into both out of his 2D/sweep, and go into a knockdown. Sol's generally pretty good at getting combos that knock down the opponent.

Extremely basic combo that works anywhere on screen, as long as Sol is relatively close to the opponent. Does about 100 damage, give or take. You see this pretty often when Sol's not in much of a position to do anything better. You can also omit one of the moves before 2D or do a lot of other things instead: this combo has a lot of leeway.

Some people write out move names, others use abbreviations, and others still write out the actual command. You could see a Tiger Knee'd Bandit Revolver written as 2369K or as tk.BR.

I see. Then I wouldn't recognize those parts of the combo, because I don't know all the names of the specials...

Lemme see if I can figure out that one combo you posted.

BR = bandit revolver = 236K

VV = volcanic viper = 623s/h

GV = grand viper = 214s

GF = gunflame = 236p

BB = bandit bringer = 236[K]

RS = riot stomp = 214k

TR = tyrant rave = 632146H

DI = dragon install = 214214s

CLSW = clean hit sidewinder = (air)236H, getting the clean hit effect

BnN = WT = wild throw/the jp name of it = his command throw lol = 623k

then theres the non-sol stuff youll see

TK = tiger knee = ###9X... usually 2369k for sol players

JI = jump install = look it up on the wiki

jc or j.c = jump cancel

hj = high jump

iad = instant air dash = 96, 956, 866, 966, whatever way you elect to do it

id = impossible dust = wiki this one too

thats all i can think of notation wise that might not be obvious?

BR = bandit revolver = 236K

VV = volcanic viper = 623s/h

GV = grand viper = 214s

GF = gunflame = 236p

BB = bandit bringer = 236[K]

RS = riot stomp = 214k

TR = tyrant rave = 632146H

DI = dragon install = 214214s

CLSW = clean hit sidewinder = (air)236H, getting the clean hit effect

BnN = WT = wild throw/the jp name of it = his command throw lol = 623k

then theres the non-sol stuff youll see

TK = tiger knee = ###9X... usually 2369k for sol players

JI = jump install = look it up on the wiki

jc or j.c = jump cancel

hj = high jump

iad = instant air dash = 96, 956, 866, 966, whatever way you elect to do it

id = impossible dust = wiki this one too

thats all i can think of notation wise that might not be obvious?

THANK YOU

So I'm trying to do this combo:

GV, dash j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 241

And the dash does not come out after GV consistently, and when it does, it's still very hard to hit with the j.D. Am I missing something? Also what is SW?

SW is sidewinder. Pretty obvious from the above notation that says "CLSW = Clean hit sidewinder"

Oh and BTW all of the sidewinders are clean hits.

"Clean hit" is a mechanic that's (I think) unique to Sol. It affects some of his specials, although the only ones that are ever commonly used are GV and SW. Basically, by hitting the opponent upon a certain point on their hitbox (specifically, the ones seen here), said specials gain new hit affects (SW wall bounces, GV has a much higher, comboable launch, ect.) and do more damage, with an additional damage multiplier that increases with each clean hit done within the current combo.

If you're doing the GV right, there would be a HUD message saying "clean hit" and the opponent would go shooting off, allowing you to J.D them.

relevant reading

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?7377-Clean-Hit-Properties

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?2903-Grand-Viper-in-Accent-Core-FAQ

read them both.

and we assume you have basic knowledge as you could probably get to that point by reading the wiki. we dont mind helping new blood, but you gotta understand the assumption. read thru the wiki and try to understand most of the system mechanics. clean hit, and how to do grand viper to get a clean hit, is sol specific... but notation is something you coulda looked up in the wiki, since sol's section has all his moves with info, notation, and names

just dig around a bit, and ask if you still cant find.

little effort though, all we ask ^^

So I'm trying to do this combo:

GV, dash j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 241

And the dash does not come out after GV consistently, and when it does, it's still very hard to hit with the j.D. Am I missing something? Also what is SW?

dash j.D is the hardest (but most damaging) way to start SW loops off GV. It's also not gonna work on lightweight characters as well. In corner you dont have to dash. I'd recommend getting used to just doing jS SW to start loops if you're still getting used to his combos. It's universal (with slightly different timing on different character weights) and doesn't do that much less dmg. #1 priority for your combos is knockdowns.

Any more questions, just ask, that is what these forums are here for anyways. It would be good to read the material iora linked though incase they answer something for you.

Anyone has any training program of method I should use training on the SW Loop?

It takes practice and knowledge of how different characters/weights impact your loop timing, and what ways you can land CL SW in any given situation.

I'm actually planning to make a beginner/intermediate SW loop tutorial/guide vid soon, since I dont really know of any comprehensive one like that.

It takes practice and knowledge of how different characters/weights impact your loop timing, and what ways you can land CL SW in any given situation.

I'm actually planning to make a beginner/intermediate SW loop tutorial/guide vid soon, since I dont really know of any comprehensive one like that.

So basiclly, just train at doing sw loops in certain variations?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone has any training program of method I should use training on the SW Loop?

pick a character

make sure you can do it off of:

Gunflame FRC...

Wild Throw...

2D, bandit revolver, RC...

6P, gunflame... (in the corner)

Grand Viper clean hit...

... = fill in normals, if you need to.

Its kinda free form to just get it working.

2s 2h j.s SW is reasonable for a pick up most the time

straight jump into j.s SW is another important tool

5k 2h j.s SW also good (and should get you into SW loop on CH 5k if you wanna add that to your list)

If you can do those 5 on a character, reasonably well, move on to the next character. Rinse repeat. that will be a good start point.

If you dont wanna do all the characters, here's a shorter list i recommend.

Anji, Eddie, Jam, Ky, HOS, Potemkin, RoboKy, Slayer, Sol, Testament

Between those 10, that covers all the weight classes pretty much, and most of the hit box sizes too. That should give you a start point for 95% of the cast. (might be hard on johnny. never played sol vs johnny.)

Hope that helps.

Currently, I train at doing WT>jS >SW >2H >jS >SW >2H(most of the time Ky doing tech here) >jS >SW (I managed to do 3 loops one time only)

I have no idea if I should train like that, if so, what do I train after?

its really just

get a basic loop, from the basic starters, on as many characters as you can

after u get that done, then you optimize into weird starters and more optimal loops.

if you have anything doing 3+ SW's into BR, thats fine. work on doing the same from a different starter. the ones i listed are among the most common, and should give you a feel on what you need to know.

basically, its understanding how each air normal moves the victim so you can position on the fly to ensure clean hit. then you can go wild.

until then? basic loop, off basic starters, and as many people as you can.

its that simple.

Currently, I train at doing WT>jS >SW >2H >jS >SW >2H(most of the time Ky doing tech here) >jS >SW (I managed to do 3 loops one time only)

I have no idea if I should train like that, if so, what do I train after?

After the 2nd SW in that combo, do neutral j.S SW > BR instead. For more damage, but a bit harder,you can choose to do 2H nj.SW > BR instead (input being 2H 8236H)

its really just

get a basic loop, from the basic starters, on as many characters as you can

after u get that done, then you optimize into weird starters and more optimal loops.

if you have anything doing 3+ SW's into BR, thats fine. work on doing the same from a different starter. the ones i listed are among the most common, and should give you a feel on what you need to know.

basically, its understanding how each air normal moves the victim so you can position on the fly to ensure clean hit. then you can go wild.

until then? basic loop, off basic starters, and as many people as you can.

its that simple.

There's three classes of weight right? Am I right? Potemkin, middle weight and light weight such as Bridget, or I got that all wrong?

Um so something like WT>jS>SW>jS>SW>2H>jS >SW > BR is basic? Should I go with that?

After the 2nd SW in that combo, do neutral j.S SW > BR instead. For more damage, but a bit harder,you can choose to do 2H nj.SW > BR instead (input being 2H 8236H)

Great, thanks, I'll try. Thank you, any way I can contact you besude the forum? Got messenger?

Great, thanks, I'll try. Thank you, any way I can contact you besude the forum? Got messenger?

I have aim/Skype/Twitter, or you could PM me on here. You should continue asking stuff in these boards too though if you want, that way others can possibly benefit or provide their own input.

I'm having the hardest time finding a decent Wild Throw combo on Order Sol from starting position. Anyone have any advice?

Is it really possible to do a 5 Sidewinder combo into BR off Wild Throw? I know it's not optimal because of the opponent's meter build.

Do you guys start with j.d SW, 2h j.d SW, or 2h Sidewinder?

I have a pretty generic combo that works on pretty much everybody midscreen, give or take a normal or two. For Order Sol, it would be WT, dash (2H) j.D > j.S SW > dash 2H Jump 8 Sidewinder > c.S > Bandit Revolver, doing around 150 damage. If you're close enough to the corner, you can add another j.S SW, land BR for another ten damage or so. I do this one instead of what I see a lot of JP Sols do (switch the 2H Sidewinder and j.S SW) because often the 2H gets in a screwy position, and they lose the corner knockdown.

Generally you can't do 5 Sidewinders out of WT because hitstun gets scaled down too hard, but if you do WT > IAD j.S/j.D > SW, and then do empty Jump Sidewinders, then you can if you get close enough to the corner.

How I start WT combos is character specific, but dash j.D SW works for a good chunk of the cast. I use dash 2H j.D SW against characters like Johnny and Robo Ky because of how far they fall and how their hitboxes make it stupid to connect dash j.D instead. I use 2H SW against a few lightweights, especially Baiken because of the same hitbox issue.