Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boss

The AC Slayer Q-n-A Thread

..after leaving I noticed I didn't bite very much and that probably could have netted me some extra damage..but bite is kind of low damage IMO. The only guaranteed combo off it only does 70.

You gotta realise, in guilty gear, damage is not your only goal. Bite does low damage, yet puts you in complete control. If you have an opportunity, especially with slayer to take a combo and then say to yourself "this won't do much damage" so you don't got for it, you'll find yourself losing alot.

You should take advantage of every situation that you can. If bite lands you a knock down, that puts you in complete control.

So.. your mixup's failing...well for one regular high low mix up isn't that scary, you need bite/tick thow's and baits to add another dimension to your mixup. It's not all about landing a hit, its also about forcing a mistake. Slayer is extremely good at this, and he has the ability to take full advantage of any hit he lands, whether its huge damage or a knockdown.

I tried searching for this and couldn't find answers so pardon if they were answered already please.... What are the timings to combo a 6k and f.s into 2k? 2k,2h I'm getting down thanks to the tip that the 11-14 frame moment doesn't include a certain amount of hitstop, or something to that extent. Though of course I'm not counting frames, but it helped developed my rhythm. Thanks a lot!

6K, 2K is a one-frame link on standing hit and a two-frame link on crouching hit. f.S, 2K is a two-frame link on standing hit and a three-frame link on crouching hit. Neither of these is a gatling, so you just have to develop a good sense of when the first move ends.

Frame data here: http://www.dustloop.com/data/ac/slayer.html

6K, 2K is a one-frame link on standing hit and a two-frame link on crouching hit.

That also depends of whether the 6k was a meaty or not(meaty=easy, not=harder)

yeah, but you should do it meaty most of the time anyway so it's like a safe jump and they can't dp your shit.

ok question...j.5k>standing5H...is it a timing issue, height issue, frame issue...it seems easier to do on some characters than others...but right now it's the most difficult link I've been working on...advice is appreciated

Just try to do the j.K as late as possible before hitting the ground. Also, keep in mind that if you're doing something into {j.D j.2K, j.K |> 5H}, the j.D adds an additional 5 frames of recovery after landing, so you have to adjust your timing for this.

EDIT: I did more testing, and now I'm not sure. I don't want to spread false information. Refer to this post for more details: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=261733&postcount=163

99.9% sure. Although I have no way to scientifically test this, it's pretty easy to notice the additional recovery purely from manual testing.

Try these in the corner, on Potemkin for ease:

6P FRC, 5H JC j.2K, delayed j.K |> 5H...

vs.

6P FRC, 5H SJC j.H j.2K, j.D j.2K, delayed j.K |> 5H...

It's dramatically easier to combo the j.K |> 5H in the first combo. The difference is significant and noticeable.

EDIT: I did more testing, and now I'm not sure. I don't want to spread false information. Refer to this post for more details: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=261733&postcount=163

If the jD thing is true, it makes the link insanely tight, as you'd have the land the frame after landing the jK and execute the 5H the same frame you get out of recovery. So I guess it's a bit more sane to simply practice 5H relaunches without jD's in them.

The way the frame data is written is a bit strange. rtl42 mentioned this earlier, but the number listed as an attack's start-up actually includes the first active frame. So Slayer's 5H, with 13F start-up according to the frame data, actually goes active on frame 13 (they probably include frame 0, the frame on which you actually hit the button). Therefore, after a j.D, the j.K |> 5H link has a two-frame window for success if my calculations are correct.

Also, regarding my last post: I know that the second combo has more hits and removes more guard bar than the first combo, but that's not the point. What I was trying to say was that you can feel the additional landing recovery after the {j.D j.2K, j.K}. After the first combo, you can do a move immediately after you land and it will come out. This is not the case for the second combo. There is a clear delay before you can do anything.

EDIT: I have done more testing on this, and now I must say that I really don't know. :sweat: The additional recovery seems to stay after some moves and not after others. For example, I felt a delay if I did {j.D j.2K} and landed, but not if I did {j.D, whiff j.P} and landed. For now, I still believe that the additional recovery stays, but it may depend on other factors that I'm not currently aware of. Also, perhaps my timing is off and I feel delays when there aren't any, or vice versa. So yeah, all this to say...I'm just not sure. :psyduck:

Noob question here: When do I use which of slayer's anti-air? I like to use 5P since it combos easily and I can spam it, but I know it's probably not as good as 2S. When should I use 2S, 5P, or 6P? Also should I try to go into air battles or stick low to the ground and mostly go into the air for air to ground attacks?

for anti-airing, 5P's hitbox is like a little dagger that you can stick into people when they're coming at you diagonally (think, 45 degree angle from the ground). because of 6P's above-the-knees invul, it's a dodge -> counter anti-air, but because the hitbox is in front of slayer, it's a "low" anti-air. the hitbox is pretty much his shoulder, after the initial crouch in the animation. so, it's more likely to beat out moves coming at a lower angle to the ground, like below 30 degrees. (actually, it'll beat out some ground moves, too, so it's not just an anti-air.) 2S is probably his "best" anti-air, because he lowers his hitbox a bit and sticks out a fairly wide and safe hitbox above himself. however, it doesn't have the kind of invul that 6P does, so you can't rely on 2S as a "last second"/reactionary anti-air, generally. you have to stick it out a bit pre-emptively (or, be attentive to your opponent's patterns), and essentially shield yourself with your leg. out of the 3, 2S has a more, ah... "surprising" hitbox than the others, because it's wider than it looks. (well, that's my opinion, but if you've seen some combo vids, you'll see 2S hit way farther out than the sprite would suggest.) if you have any specific situations you're wondering about (e.g. "my buddy plays XX character, and he always does YY move from the air, and i can't anti-air it, what do i do?"), please ask. as for your second question, it's match-up specific. against some characters, you generally can't win in the air; against others, you generally have a harder time getting in on them, from the air; etc. post up in the match-up forum if you're wondering about a particular opponent.

I use 5p if someone is coming at my from as rtl said a 45 degree angle. I use 2s against things that are higher above me and against crossups. I use 6p when people try to airdash in with a long range move to get pressure going.

2S probalby will get punished vs a cross up as far as i see it.. but i guess also depends on what type of cross up :/... but if they are directly above you, 2S have a chance of missing...

Thanks for the input, the way you used angles to describe when to use each move really helped me visualize the situation. I read somewhere that 214S-K was good against aerial crossups, but it seems like that would be hard to do on reaction. Is it worth trying to do this?

um hm, well in general i don't think it's a good idea.... but could you find the original post? maybe there was more context given.

wouldn't 2S be unsafe against a cross-up on wake-up?

Well yeah... I just block those... or try and buffer a backdash or something.

Scrub question: how do you BDC? That's back dash cancel right? It's a slayer specific technique right? I remember having someone explaining it to me a long while back, and seeing it in a japanese video for XX. Is there anything else specific to slayer technique wise that is good to know about and do?

You backdash and jump in the middle. Since it's jump cancellable, ending a move in say, up/forward, instead of just forward, will BDC it. For example mappa punch

236p - MAPPA!

but if you backdash, 44, then input 2369p, he will start a backdash (invincibility frames, though not as much as he used to) then cancel into mappa punch.

I'm not too knowledgeable on it's best uses though, at least with special moves, since BDC mappa isn't broken as fuck anymore. You can forward dash cancel bite but that's kinda advanced (66, 632147 HS)

The best uses I see are with slayers who train you to fear a quick poke, dash forward, throw/bite, who then later do a quick poke or poke string, then BDC mappa to get them to flinch, and nail a counter-hit. From there, meterless you can 5k into mappa (which also has to be a 2369 motion because it's jump cancellable but not special cancellable) or yadda yadda whatever. I'm sure someone else can help you out more.

Scrub question: how do you BDC? That's back dash cancel right?

It's a slayer specific technique right? I remember having someone explaining it to me a long while back, and seeing it in a japanese video for XX.

Is there anything else specific to slayer technique wise that is good to know about and do?

Ya, bdc is slayer only. The guy above me pretty much explained how to do it, just backdash and then do a move ending it in 9 or 7. The trick is the speed that it has to be done to get the full advantage. You can bdc pretty much anything, but it's alot weaker than it used to be. bdc jump/1F jump are it's main uses since they can get you out of alot of situations in which you would otherwise have next to no options. The fdc is pretty much used for bite, which takes a little getting used to but isn't hard once you know how. You can also forward dash and then a little after he dashes, not immediately, press 9 and it'll carry alot of forward momentum into his jump. This is nice since Slayer has no run, a short dash, a short air dash, and no air brake. It'll let you gain some ground without having to dedicate your self to another move since you can still FD whatever they do... or just jH that shit. lol

Sorry if this is redundant. I remember reading about jump install, but I can't remember where I saw it. How do you do a superjump air combo, then double jump? Like sj.H-2K, sj.K, dj.K or the like. AFAIK the game's rules forbid that, but a few people seem to be doing it. I tried double jumping normally but it doesn't do the trick. Thanks.