Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eien_tsubasa XD

Slayer vs. Venom

when in the corner, try to block alot so he can throw you into Dubious Curve loop. Also, don't bother blocking the pool balls he 5Ps at you, they're unblockable. :v:

I think we shoudl do the format that the Robo-Ky thread is doing, character match up Ratio: bits of info on character match up like that.. :3..

Everyone says Slayer is Venom's worst matchup, but from the videos I see...the matchup seems pretty even. Even though Slayer has many tools to dodge and counter Venom's moves, the fact is Venom is still an excellent zoning character and Slayer's weakness is getting zoned in neutral situations.

I don't actually play against Venom a lot, but from what I gather... -Dubious Curve can be punished severely. Either P Dandy Pilebunker or BBU once you see it coming at the end of a combo string. -You can teleport dash through balls already hit. -If he's ball summoning, you can Mappa Punch and score a CH. -If he's ball summoning carelessly, you can IAD in with a j.HS and score a fatty CH. -I'm pretty sure 2D trades with a lot of moves and beats out stuff like DHM. -Venom has a hard time breaking out of pressure and lacks quick pokes. This puts Slayer at a pressure advantage against Venom. -Don't be too jump happy: 6P is a deadly AA move that leads into CR loops for big damage. Just throwing out some small stuff, please correct me if I'm wrong. And sorry if some of these are captain obvious.

- BBU will beat out DC and Stinger and on occasion CR but will usually lose to CR - 2HS will trade with CR but leave Slayer at knockdown advantage at the very least. - Dandy Step will dodge CR with long Dandy Step being safer. - If Venom can predict a 6K okizieme, his c.S will beat it. - 2S and f.S will disrupt things like Mappa and is a good way for Venom to get out of pressure after FDing Slayer to a decent range.

Everyone says Slayer is Venom's worst matchup, but from the videos I see...the matchup seems pretty even. Even though Slayer has many tools to dodge and counter Venom's moves, the fact is Venom is still an excellent zoning character and Slayer's weakness is getting zoned in neutral situations.

There is no way its a fair matchup.

From what I gathered in matches with my friends, Slayer has to be cautious when under a pressure string. When punishing Dubious Curve, choose a quicker move instead of a PB or something like that because slow moves tend to get hit by the DC and it's unusual for Venom to try a DC loop unless you're in the corner, so a D Step is too risky. The best chance to attack would be while he's summoning balls. A mappa will probably cut the move, but a dash spam works sometimes (who doesn't get terrorized in seeing slayer quickly teleport in your direction?). Another got chance is when he summons a ball in the air. Either when he summons it, or when he jumps to hit it, BBU the bastard. it makes wonders :)

There is no way its a fair matchup.

Care to elaborate?

@ landstalker

Yea I agree. If you're mid screen though, P dandy Pilebunker works fine (I saw it in the Kami-Chan v N-Otoko vid).

Care to elaborate?

You're right, Venom is good with controlling space but once Slayer is in he's meat.. And if you haven't noticed yet, Venom can only do decent damage on close range ^_^ which requires risk to your life bar.

But I actually get what you're saying. I know the match up isn't that bad anymore, its almost 4.5:5.5 I guess. I've fought with good slayers before, but they always had hard time dealing with the balls.. I just hate it when a single mistake leads to slayers death combo.

You're right, Venom is good with controlling space but once Slayer is in he's meat.. And if you haven't noticed yet, Venom can only do decent damage on close range ^_^ which requires risk to your life bar.

But I actually get what you're saying. I know the match up isn't that bad anymore, its almost 4.5:5.5 I guess. I've fought with good slayers before, but they always had hard time dealing with the balls.. I just hate it when a single mistake leads to slayers death combo.

Yep. That pretty much applies to all characters though, it just sucks that almost all of Venom's moves can be BBU'd because of their horrible recovery. That only means Venom players have to be extra careful when ball setting and how they choose to end their blockstrings.

not really. his teleport actually sends him above the first ball he summoned among those that are in the screen (or just above where he is, in case there are no balls summoned). so instead of guessing, you just need to pay attention to the ball position to know what to do

slayer-venom matchup is at least 6-4. Slayer's j.hs goes through Venom's 6p. Venom doesn't have any pokes that can get him out of Mappa punch-2k reliably. Once Slayer has 25% meter, Venom can't apply pressure because Slayer can just randomly BBU him for massive damage. Venom's 1.06 damage modifier doesn't help. And, finally, once Slayer gets to 50% meter, Venom can't summon balls from distance or risk catching counter-hit super punch of easy death combo. oh, and Slayer can dash out of CR pressure and throw you unless you're super-close to him.

What I generally try to do is to zone out Slayer and disrupt him from a far. 5S does a good job at disrupting Mappa, but is beaten out by his 6P. Pressurewise, it's not too bad for Venom. If you know the right formations against Slayer then it'll be hard for him to counter. But downside with Venom is that one combo from Slayer can set it back to neutral or give Slayer the upperhand.

slayer-venom matchup is at least 6-4. Slayer's j.hs goes through Venom's 6p. Venom doesn't have any pokes that can get him out of Mappa punch-2k reliably. Once Slayer has 25% meter, Venom can't apply pressure because Slayer can just randomly BBU him for massive damage. Venom's 1.06 damage modifier doesn't help. And, finally, once Slayer gets to 50% meter, Venom can't summon balls from distance or risk catching counter-hit super punch of easy death combo. oh, and Slayer can dash out of CR pressure and throw you unless you're super-close to him.

My main opponent is slayer and my main is venom, we are quite equal and we have learned quite a lot what you shouldn´t do and what you should.

Slayer should never attack from the air, venom´s anti-air game is imo one of the bests in the whole game, there is so many ways to counter that j.h. I do use 6p just time it right, j.D is very effective against that j.HS.

If i´m cornered it´s just guessing game, usually i just block down and try to block the 6k if i see it coming, FDing as much as possible so the slayer can´t get so close easily. once he is a bit farther there usually comes mappa so i´ll decide to just 2D and DC ball so i can get rid of him. once again if the slayer does 2hs when i´m sweeping, venom dies :D

so if i won´t sweep, best way to deal him is 5s 2s stinger aim S /carcass raid S

so i can get some room there. thats the chance when he should come from the air and get back close to me.

So what does slayer do when venom lockdowns him in the corner? basicly he can´t do nothing, FD a lot or get 50% tension for DA helps him most. In my pressure game BBU does´t help at all, i´m always having ball coming from down or using 2s if i´m too far. after 2s i usually do S carcass raid so slayer has to block it again, while he blocks i´ll dash in and so 2k/5s(2hits) 5hs -> sweep 1 hit carcass raid dash in again or dubious curve S -> 2s and dash in again.

He says that he should 2p or smth against me during the lockdown, but it always ends bad.

how about teleporting? nope doesn´t really help he always gets hit and gets back to corner.

Who gets the opponent in the corner first wins in our matches, so this can´t be easiest match up for slayer. i´d say 5.5 to slayer but still close to 5.0

My main opponent is slayer and my main is venom, we are quite equal and we have learned quite a lot what you shouldn´t do and what you should.

Slayer should never attack from the air, venom´s anti-air game is imo one of the bests in the whole game, there is so many ways to counter that j.h. I do use 6p just time it right, j.D is very effective against that j.HS.

If i´m cornered it´s just guessing game, usually i just block down and try to block the 6k if i see it coming, FDing as much as possible so the slayer can´t get so close easily. once he is a bit farther there usually comes mappa so i´ll decide to just 2D and DC ball so i can get rid of him. once again if the slayer does 2hs when i´m sweeping, venom dies :D

so if i won´t sweep, best way to deal him is 5s 2s stinger aim S /carcass raid S

so i can get some room there. thats the chance when he should come from the air and get back close to me.

So what does slayer do when venom lockdowns him in the corner? basicly he can´t do nothing, FD a lot or get 50% tension for DA helps him most. In my pressure game BBU does´t help at all, i´m always having ball coming from down or using 2s if i´m too far. after 2s i usually do S carcass raid so slayer has to block it again, while he blocks i´ll dash in and so 2k/5s(2hits) 5hs -> sweep 1 hit carcass raid dash in again or dubious curve S -> 2s and dash in again.

He says that he should 2p or smth against me during the lockdown, but it always ends bad.

how about teleporting? nope doesn´t really help he always gets hit and gets back to corner.

Who gets the opponent in the corner first wins in our matches, so this can´t be easiest match up for slayer. i´d say 5.5 to slayer but still close to 5.0

BDC jump, Faultless if he's close enough to anti-air you, if its a ball block it and try and double jump out of the way. For slayer getting out of the corner can be a problem sometimes, but just keep smartly blocking and faultlessing, look for your gap and BDC out.

Slayer's j.hs goes through Venom's 6p.

Only if he times it wrong. Not like Venom only has 6P for anti-air anyhow. Early 6H, jD, c.S (kinda), airthrow, and good ball placement all work... and Slayer jH is pretty simple to airthrow (though if they mess up, ggpo)