Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrimsonDisaster

Slayer vs. Eddie

- Basic Info -

(A) Overview

Best abare in the game vs. best offense in the game. You typically outpoke Eddie's normals, but his moves will beat yours in specific circumstances and his special "pokes" are really dangerous. More importantly, he has a pet and he can fly. This changes a lot of poke/anti-air timings and lets him get away with being a bit dumber than anybody else. That said, your normals still cream his- he has to be tricky, you just need to have half a brain.

All other things being equal, you have the normals to keep yourself out of trouble so long as you don't get mixed up... until he gets tension or safely gets the summon out. When one of these happens (you screw up, he gets tension/summon), the whole matchup changes. He dominates the match while the shadow is out- in non-pressure situations, killing it safely becomes your first priority, not getting hit by it/forcing him to use it up if you can't kill it.

Should you find yourself in pressure- good luck. Good blocking only goes so far, with his command throw and unblockables. Look for escape points or create your own, but mix it up since he'll be mixing it up, and it's better to block a 6K than be looking really hard for a backdash point and getting hit anyhow.

Eddie doesn't have a real answer to your pressure, though. He can mash 2P, wakeup super, or wakeup FD jump. None of those are safe or good at all. Some Eddie players will refuse to stop mashing for whatever reason, and it works more than it should because his 2P is so good... but just adjust your timing, sigh and CH him into all of his life.

(B) Matchup ratio:

Ogawa says it's 5:5 - 4:5. Your results may vary but that's about right.

© Top 5 moves in matchup (IMHO)

Eddie:

1) summon -S-

2) (FB) drill

3) flying

4) 2H

5) 623S

(honorable mention - 2P)

Slayer:

1) 5K

2) jH

3) 2S

4) jK

5) 2P

(honorable mention - BBU)

(D) Turning points...

in Eddie's favor:

- knockdown

- safe fullscreen summon

- start blockstring

in Slayer's favor:

- major CH

- corner knockdown

- force Eddie to jump without summon

Some combos that really hurt

CH 2S or 6P->IAD H->5H->(j.S-j.K->5H)x3 or 4 ->IAD j.D

CH 2H, 2D RC, CH j.H, CH it's late, whatever->lol (5H->j.S-j.K)x3 or 4->IAD j.D

Really guys just j.S loop this guy. For real it's like 60% like no matter what. and doing IAD K-K is good for when you're kinda far away and still needing to combo.

5K->K mappa is amazing on eddie as well for aircombo.

What I try to do in this match up is avoid/block (if I have to) Eddie until his summon meter runs out (or at least half way) and then go crazy offensive. That way you don't get unblockabled two-three times in a row just for one mistake.

IB 1st hit of doggie ~K~ and 1F jump IIRC

Not a viable option if Eddie throws in a 5k inbetween the hits. Then you've just lost half your life.

Now if he's going for a 50/50 by jumping, then that'd be your best bet (IB~1F jump).

The best thing is to just learn the mixup and watch for the throw. There are VERY few guaranteed guard string~unblockable setups, so if you see the -D- coming and you're in guardstun, FD jump; you won't get unblockabled. If you're really feeling gutsy, SB the sentry strings then CH Eddie for big damage.

Backdash and super jump away when you see him try to summon little eddie, you get out for free. Alternatively if you want to be scrubby you can IB the first shadow -K- and then eternal wings, lololol. 1F jumping out is REALLY hard, I'd rely more on backdash. Once he has you though, focus and block. That's about all you can do. Question, will backdash save you from wake up unblockables? Like puddle + j.S or drill + puke unblockables? I gotta fight marn tomorrow so I wanna be ready, lol.

you can backdash 1F Jump Block the FB drill and puke ball unblockable, it is just hard sometimes :/... or you can do Backdash and delay jump block i think..

All wakeup unblockables are guaranteed if done correctly. You can 236236HS out of the puddle UB, but if you're not in the corner Eddie can just cross you up and UB you, then you just took CH dmg. Also if your super is blocked, you're in for just as much hurt as you would've been if he UBed you, if not more. BD~jumping works against -p- and -k-, but if he does -s- you can get sucked back to the ground for more guessing games. The way to beat Eddie is the way everyone else has to beat him: try to score a KD while the sentry is gone then STAY ON HIM. Eddie has no real realiable way to get Slayer off of him, so once you get in, STAY IN!

All wakeup unblockables are guaranteed if done correctly.

No unblockable is absolutely guaranteed - they can all be blocked if you change your blocking accordingly. The closest thing Eddie has to a guaranteed UB is a meaty Shadow Hole UB, as the only way to escape that is via reversal (which Eddie can block) or proper 1F blocking (which is very tough). All other UBs are partially or fully avoidable by one or more of reversal backdash, reversal attacks, proper blocking, or reversal throw, depending on which UB is used.

The way Teyah says it, makes it sound alot easier than it is... but he is right. Eddie really doesn't have actual UB (except meaty piss puddle) like say... Urien, but it's just extremely hard to block depending on which one he uses. There really is no reason to get hit by the Drill>frc>IAD j.S UB... if you get hit by that it means you weren't paying attention, but that's the easiest to block by far. With slayer, it's tricky but BDC jump FD will get you out of alot of shit in this match IMO. I know from playing with Latif that D-step will get you out of damn near every puddle UB... but you have to get the timing right and FRC it or else there was no point. For blocking during Eddie's pressure, IMHO block low the entire time, his 6K can be blocked on reaction if you pay attention. His 5K is alot faster and more dangerous and you are not gonna block that on reaction, so block low until you see and overhead and thenyou know what to do. This also helps with drill UBs since the first hit on tose is almost always gonna be low, then you just do a quick standing block and go back to low. Keep in mind though that nothing is better than match experience, so fight as many eddies as you can until you know what to do. Also for better advice than what I can provide; Crimson, Boss, and Fubar (if he ever gets on) all know this match up very well.

No unblockable is absolutely guaranteed - they can all be blocked if you change your blocking accordingly. The closest thing Eddie has to a guaranteed UB is a meaty Shadow Hole UB, as the only way to escape that is via reversal (which Eddie can block) or proper 1F blocking (which is very tough).

If you can block it, then it's not a true UB right? For all practical purposes of human execution, wakeup UBs (puddle and ex drill) are about 99% guaranteed. Far drill FRC~IAD j.S is definitely debateable, but outside of supers and DPs, all the other ones are pretty much guaranteed.

D-step FRC out of puddle UB? I'm seriously skeptical about that working.

I wouldn't have a hard time believing these methods would work if someone, somewhere(coughJAPANcough) could do it SOMEWHAT consistantly. But everytime I see Eddie vs X (in videos and from personal experience), perfectly excecuted UBs are guaranteed.

D-step FRC out of puddle UB? I'm seriously skeptical about that working.

It does actually work. While learning to just BDC jump FD is really a better option in 99% of the situations, it is possible to D-Step FRC out of puddle UB. The reason it works is because D-step has no startup, it's fully invicible for frames 1-6 (this is the K D-Step, P is to short and gets caught by the edge of the puddle, and S is only above the feet.) So, provided that K D-step is input on the first frame, then it gets the fuck out of there... now this is alot easier said than done, but it does work. However, like I said earlier in this post, BDC jump FD is really just a more solid option in almost every situation.

What Gaurdian said about the unblockable being blocked by humans is very true though. There is usually a 1-2 frame difference in the high-low hits during the ex drill UB and the meaty puddle UB. But it is a fact that they aren't truly unblockable, but yes... due to human limitations they might as well be. But they still aren't TRUE unblockable like what Urien has in SF3 (lol projectiles must be blocked from direction of origin lol).

PS. About videos where it happens, I've seen it in Boss vs. Marn, but that's the only vid of it I know. Japs just do the jump FD.

If you can block it, then it's not a true UB right? For all practical purposes of human execution, wakeup UBs (puddle and ex drill) are about 99% guaranteed. Far drill FRC~IAD j.S is definitely debateable, but outside of supers and DPs, all the other ones are pretty much guaranteed.

You can actually block all of Eddie's UBs in theory, so he doesn't have any 'true' UBs. Practically speaking, it's very difficult to do so, so they're labelled as UBs anyway. And far drill FRC + IAD j.S is actually a more guaranteed UB than the others aside from the puddle (ie. it's harder to escape) - it's just much harder to perform as a perfectly meaty UB.

But everytime I see Eddie vs X (in videos and from personal experience), perfectly excecuted UBs are guaranteed.

Not - really

Perfectly executed UBs are never guaranteed because they can still be blocked, even if the success rate is very low. Evading them is generally easier since you have more options. It's not very likely that your opponent will block/dodge the UB correctly (outside of wakeup attacks), but it is possible, and that's the point I'm trying to get across.

Anyway this isn't really the place for this debate, but if you want to discuss this further I'd be happy to in the Eddie forums.

Ontopic: Slayer's best bet to escape UBs is reversal Dandy Step FRC. Wakeup BDC jump is safer, but tighter to time.

You can definitely BDC jump out of the puddle unblockable. I've never thought of wake up dandy, but, how is the timing easier than the backdash, out of curiosity? And what if you're in the corner?

Reversal timing on wakeup is 2 frames (some say more), wakeup backdash timing is 1 frame. In the corner you can't use Dandy Step FRC to move out of range, so go for either the BDC jump or try to block the UB properly (low-high, for the puddle UB).

Ahh cool, I didn't know the timing for moves was bigger than the timing for backdashes. That explains why it's so easy to uppercut but so much harder to backdash out of things.

well i always thought that doing special on wake-up is easier compared to BD due to the fact that you have some window to buffer reversal special.

lol what happened to Marn's post And yeah a proper far drill FRC iadS is way trickier to deal with than his other unblockables. Good thing Eddie players mess it up more often lololol Not quite on topic but Urien corner Aegis unblockables are pretty simple to escape with wakeup down parry, and you can parry -> block midscreen unblockables (and you shouldn't be in that situation terribly often anyhow). Also some setups are probably 1F switch blockable, not sure though- the bounce link combo spacing setups look almost blockable. Maybe they aren't, I've never seen anybody try since parry -> throw gets you out, blocking it means mixups.

Eddie can make doing D-step as an escape method very very risky and almost impossible anyway. All he has to do is space the puddle properly behind Slayer, where he will get pushed into the puddle by a string of multiple air attacks for a guard break. If Slayer does reversal D-step, the puddle is triggered before he gets to the FRC point, but after the invincibility has worn off. You could start talking about SBing the second, non-meaty air attack that will push him into the puddle, making it easier. I could also start talking about the Food Network, but that's not important.

I could also start talking about the Food Network, but that's not important.

Well played sir, well played.

I know a 3rd and totally awesome way out of the puddle. ETERNAL WINGS. Yeah it works. Yeah it's scrubby. But hey, puddle into combo or chance of blocked eternal wings into combo which probably doesn't hurt as bad and can potentially be dropped. Or there's the chance it'll maybe hit. Yeah...

btw what do you guys use to get rid of little eddie once he's out? 2H is nice but you end up stomping a drill half the time.