Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Villainous

Slayer vs May

Post your anti-may strats and discussion here. May's general startegy in this fight is to turtle and build meter so she can get a safe approach via dolphin force breaks. Both characters are basically playing the same game. Get in safely without getting CH, get some mix ups in, and kill them when you get that opening. The only problem is that May can do this safer behind hoops and dolhpins, so Slayer must stay on her and constantly be wary of spacing in the air, and watch out for throw setups at the same time. A lot of Mays will use a short vertical dolphin after a block string and whiff it right at your feet. It has no landing recovery and she can throw you before the dolphin has even left the screen. You have to be constantly aware of this. Your safest option is to jump away when she does this and FD, but 5P will counterhit a whiffed dolphin in front of you for a combo. Try to block them as well if you can, since BBU will punish them on block. Overall the fight is not in slayers favor, but you can win. So far I know that 5P will beat vertical dolphins and 6P will beat horizontal ones if she doesn't force break and jump off of them. Keep away from her in the air, don't try to jump up and CH her, she'll win out since her j.H has a huge hit box. It has slow startup though so if you can get there before her, you can beat it. Also careful about anti-airing with 2S in this matchup unless the spacing is perfect, she can CH your anti air attempts if she spaces her j.H right. Sometimes BBU has to be used to anti air her if she is spamming j.H. I need to figure out how to beat her turtling with a dolphin hoop and avoiding throw mix ups though. Her loops off overhead kiss hurt too much.

I feel like Slayer has a lot going for him in this fight if you're not an overaggressive, mashy Slayer. You don't need to beat her turtling if you don't fall behind. Just pace back and forth and get meter if she's hiding behind a hoop (or DoT her during the summon if you're close enough lololol). Her meter gets her in, your meter kills her. The whole reason why May would turtle behind a hoop is because she wants you to try to "beat" it so she can cream you. One trick you can work in against whiff dolphin is to walk forward so that it doesn't whiff. Walk forward a step -> (instant) block high -> punish. Also backdash gets away (backdash away from dolphin) or even K Dandy -> Pilebunker if the May keeps just doing the mixup immediately off the dolphin. Generally you're good at midrange also- she has her crazy pokes but you can whiff punish them all pretty easily, and your pokes aren't anything shabby. 2H gives May fits on the ground, for one. Her f.S is great but if you jump it she's dead, and it doesn't really give her much payoff. 5K interrupts a lot of her poking and hits her out of dolphin startup as well. Honestly it's a hard fight because she can turn it around so quickly but the same can be said from May's perspective. Stop feeding her damage opportunities trying to force things; Slayer doesn't NEED to get in to win and given his moveset he's probably better off not trying very often. It's a much better idea to actively look for your opponent to make the first bad move and stuff them. It's better to eat OHK to combo because you were a little slow in spotting the mixup than to die because you tried to attack May in a position where she can't be attacked. You can learn to spot/avoid mixups by seeing them a lot, you aren't going to figure out any good ways to get in on May from getting CH jH'd a lot.

I'll have to try hanging back and building meter myself, although in the past when I've done this, her meter gets put to much better use. Slayer doesn't really have any FRCs or forcebreaks that let him jump in for free like her. My biggest problem is that once she does get a mix ups, her options all lead to the same thing, and the dolphins really make it easier for her in terms of getting in safely. Also, Her jump is so fast and high that when she wants to get out of slayer's immediate threat range, it's really no problem for her. Slayer doesn't really have much that's safe outside of point blank range to punish jumping, it seems like, in this match, since 6H is too slow to catch her before she's sky high. And by the time she gets away, she's on the other side of the screen spamming j.H or sitting behind a hoop, or sometimes both.

Again, who cares if she's doing all that? If she's not immediately threatening you, why chase her and give her openings? If you think she's going to try to dolphin in, just jump away and let her waste her meter. You AREN'T trying to get in, you're waiting for something to hit back and kill her. May thrives on people getting impatient and running to their own deaths, don't force things you don't have to.

Took the advice tonight and it helped some. Also jumping away or eating a dolphin is no where near as bad as eating a loop in a lot of situations, if you don't know what decision to take in a mix up. Jump away is almost always the best option when you can do it safely. I also found that throw works wonders when they have a hoop set. They want to block something so they can punish with the hoop dolphins so if you disguise your approach and throw, it usually gets the job done. In the air if you stay at her level, j.K will beat out her air stuff too, so that helped in chasing her down in the air and not letting her get away to set more hoops.

Her setting hoops isn't an immediately threatening thing. May with tension is a pain but May trying to get in from neutral isn't hard to find ways to deal with. Be patient, really. May can cream Slayer's basic offense anyhow, but Slayer creams her basic gameplan as well. May sits back and reacts to what you do to win this fight... but you can sit back and react to what she does just as effectively. Eventually you have to stop her from getting tension for free, since she gains so much from it... but you can also test the May player's patience and get them to throw away tension trying to get in when they don't have to. Think of it this way- you both have the same basic goal, get the other person to attack in a way that either opens them up to immediate punishment, or pisses away their tension parity/advantage for minimal actual gain. If nobody has an early lead... why be the guy playing into your opponent's plan? Make THEM fidget about uncomfortably until they decide "screw it I'll attack just to make something happen." If nobody decides to attack for the entire game and it goes to a draw, AWESOME. Also in situations where you need to be pressing buttons, her 5K beats your 2K and 2D, and generally beats your 2H if you're too close... your 6P (and BBU) beats her mid-pokes but opens you up to her 2H and 2D. Also to dolphin missile. You'll need 5K here and there to shut down attempts to cheese you (like dolphin-ing in when she shouldn't be able to) but her pokes generally outrange it. Also you don't have to take the dolphin hit while jumping (it can sometimes lead to loop anyhow lololol) just FD jump and hold FD.

May is nothing to fear at all for Slayer. If you're watching and IB'ing her pressure, any vertical or horizontal dolphin is stuffed by 5P for a free combo. All I do, really, is just wait for may to do a dolphin and try to 5P it. If you're instant blocking her pressure, the 5P should come out and CH the dolphin. If you want to throw meter into fighting her, IBing H dolphin and V dolphin give you a free BBU obviously. Dealing with may in the air is not that tricky at all. If you do not have time to 2S her jump in or she is airdashing so she lands just behind your 2S, BDC airthrow is free. I try to space may on the ground just out of 5K range with 5K, 2P and 5P. Just fast, good normals that will recover in time to IB a dolphin or airthrow her jump in.

Yeah but sometimes V dolphin will go over it and you will have to block. 5P is better, but 2P will still work as a good poke after an IB since it's like a 4f startup. 5P is only a frame slower but recovers a frame faster... But yeah, totally. I use 5P 2PxN all the time vs may. lol at her cause she can't get in without taking a risk.

So the may I fight all the time just runs away with j.H and turtles behind a hoop. Problem in the match is that she is ALWAYS in the air, and I have to take a risk getting her out of there because if I go to air to air her with j.K, that may not work in time and I'll get CH into like 60%. BBU is also an option but once again it's a huge risk vs her. I guess my biggest problem is, how do you win this fight without taking risks?

So the may I fight all the time just runs away with j.H and turtles behind a hoop. Problem in the match is that she is ALWAYS in the air, and I have to take a risk getting her out of there because if I go to air to air her with j.K, that may not work in time and I'll get CH into like 60%. BBU is also an option but once again it's a huge risk vs her. I guess my biggest problem is, how do you win this fight without taking risks?

If she's airing it jump or superjump and grab her.

5P beats out dolphins really well.. Learn to IB the blockstrings because of this. Also, IBing any non FRC or Force break gives you any punish ou want. If she knows all this and isn't throwing dolphin, and she's sitting there behind a hoop trying to get you when you come in, just make sure you have the life advantage. If not, play footsies. The idea is to get her to whiff her insanely awesome pokes and punish with something fun and exciting. For the record: I've seen mappa beat like all of her (or like any move in the game) moves if you can throw the mappa while she's in recovery from something else and her next poke will get CH for BBU/DOT/FUN AND EXCITING THINGS. 2H is amazing too if used sparingly. It's kinda the same use as mappa but throw it when you know they wanna beat your mappa with 2H and you don't have time to counter hit with mappa... 2H there will give you a bitchin 5H into SJ AD stuff for a lot of damage if you can do the combo. You HAVE to use it outside the range of 5H and 5K though. 2S is tricky. people should know that 2S sucks if they get behind Slayer so most mays should only be airdashing or anything if they are pretty high up to get in that little spot where j.2H will CH our 2S. It sucks and it makes us feel cheated... This is where the fun begins though it starts up a whole new mixup of BDCing (be ready to choose a side to BDC she can cross you up.) the move she is so sure will connect and punishing her for it. You can always just double jump or airthrow to be safe if you IB'ed the air move she used, but be ready to break an airthrow if she knows you're gonna double jump. 5K, 5P and 2P are a must in this since they recover so fast and are super awesome. When you're at neutral situations these are your go to moves. May's 5K goes over all your abusable low pokes like 2H, 2D, 2K and give her a sweet combo, so i tend to stay away from them. 5K loses to a lot of your stuff that has any upper body invulnerability and BDC stuff. Also, any well spaced 5K or f.S will work too I believe to beat may's 5K, but not 5H, so don't be poking where 5H will connect. May will throw 3K a lot to try and low profile under your stuff, so just bait it out a few times, do a bitchin combo and she will stop. I guess the game plan should be to just use 5K, 5P, 2P or any other poke you that you think will recover in time to whiff and guard or CH a dolphin/3K while punishing her whiffs with typical slayer madness. Make her frustrated and let her swing. Get a CH, combo into knockdown and then do disgusting oki because it all leads into a tensionless aircombo. Always mappa the hoop set if you can. Always 5P a dolphin. Sometimes mays like to whiff and do OHK after a dolphin, but 5P will take care of that as well. So for real, just IB and watch for her to do something dumb while she is pressuring and act accordingly. Slayer has too many options against may that take care of multiple things may is doing. If you have life advantage and she's got a hoop set, start getting tension with dandy S. Always remember, people get STRESSED if Slayer has the life advantage and starts running away and poking with insanely safe shit. Take advantage of it. I'm pretty stoned and bored in Aspen so that's why it's kinda long. Holla back.

For the record: I've seen mappa beat like all of her (or like any move in the game) moves if you can throw the mappa while she's in recovery from something else and her next poke will get CH for BBU/DOT/FUN AND EXCITING THINGS.

aren't you just saying to hit her during start-up? sorry to nitpick, but it sounds "too obvious", so i'm assuming you're trying to say something that i don't quite get. (i.e. could you perhaps explain more, maybe use an example, etc.)

villainizzle, don't forget the advice given to you when you started the thread, too.

aren't you just saying to hit her during start-up? sorry to nitpick, but it sounds "too obvious", so i'm assuming you're trying to say something that i don't quite get. (i.e. could you perhaps explain more, maybe use an example, etc.)

villainizzle, don't forget the advice given to you when you started the thread, too.

Yeah, sorry if I make it sound like that. Just get her in the startup of the move with mappa, it leads to insane stuff and it's so gooood. Really I think it's the best option resource wise to punish at almost full screen if you can.

Some more notes. Mainly 5Ping when you feel either dolphin or OHK. jumping and and double jump and IB to bait airthrow. Either airthrow or j.D or something.. Also, if you IB a j.2H in the air at the right height you can CH j.H her vertical dolphin.. Don't mappa when she is jumping backwards and falling H stuff. You're huge when you mappa and so is her j.H.. Ways to deal with dolphin based on tension.. <25% and when she doesn't have FRC - 5P CH the dolphin into aircombo. >25% - IB the dolphin. BBU punish. 75% - IB and DOT.. You can always 5P any dolphin besides FB dolphin on reaction. Same with the OHK setup. Any whiff dolphin into ohk will get 5P'ed. Then you just really have to watch out for the D mixup...

more notes on strategy.. you have to be more patient than the may player. you let her have her rope and you let her hang herself with it. 5Ping dolphins is crucial in this matchup and generally knowing how to FD her to make her want to do dolphin. You can put her at a distance where she can either regular or FB dolphin to close the gap/put you back in pressure and if she FB's it, you can still block after a 5P. The way to win: punish her dolphins, hard punish her whiffs oki the fuck out of her be weary of j.H but don't fear it too much to not want to use an amazing anti air.