Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KayEff

[CSE] XBL Match Finder/GG Thread v2

It's pretty much a lost cause Mac.

The only shot I have at netplay is to do it at Axis' house nowadays. You can tell if it's me because I'll be the one playing BB.

Also Nombre, let's just play tonight. We will see if you can get into it or not. We can always play again tomorrow.

Not often at all. Haven't even done it yet :3

I work too much man lol, but I'm sure I'll make a stronger effort to netplay when CP drops. Netplay is gonna be the only way to get any matchup exp.

Getting online now. Send me a friend request or message me or something with the name of the account I'm inviting. I'll try to shake this, but I make no promises. The venting helped a little bit.

GGs, Mac. Sorry for the pretty much instant bail, but I really should start getting ready for bed. I'll still be on for a little bit more for any commentary on whatever that was that just happened.

All right GGs Nombre, I noticed some things right off the bat:

1) Whenever you went for a backdash, you tried to punish with a normal throw. And every time, I broke it. If you did a 360, you would have gotten me instead.

2) You were getting hit by my throws a lot for some reason. Any idea why?

3) I didn't feel like you were controlling your space strongly enough. Getting in on you should be like muscling my way past a military bunker, so you should make sure to use all your options to make it feel that way. You were doing good by 2Aing some jump ins and 2Cing them very quickly.

4) In a similar vein, you were giving me too much free reign up close. Did you notice how in the beginning, I was blowing past your defense? It was because you just kept blocking. But then later you started throwing in 360s once the pressure got too great, and took a huge chunk of life off me. Normally you don't want to just throw them out there, but it's good to use them in a controlled way.

Anyway, these are broad areas of play like neutral and defense, so it's not something to fix instantly but build up over a period of time. You were doing better since last time. Just keep it up. Anything you noticed?

On the plus side, you didn't fall for any of my resets, and I couldn't get you to take the bait for my anti-throw Hotaru attempts.

I'll level with you: I have no I idea what you mean by this. Please try explaining this to me as if I were a 6-year-old child, because that's about where my mental acuity with regards to fighting games is, anyway.

Okay. I'll try to tell you specifically what I mean.

When a compotent player is facing you for the first time, you probably noticed that they start jumping A LOT and baiting the 720 the instant you hit 50 heat.

For example:

I was baiting so many 720s but Nombre never bit. ;_;

This is what probably discouraged you from using it that much in the first place. Because whenever you have access to it, it seems like they are waiting for it. ~ Nombre's mind: "Damn...this move ALWAYS gets beat. Fuck this move."

Now...not 720ing against new opponents has probably served you well. Unless they are retarded, a new opponent will always bait the 720 at some point during the course of a round. This will cause them to let up their pressure and can easily lead to a momentum swing in your favor.

However...After a few matches your opponent will catch on and adapt to YOUR playstyle. They KNOW that you are not going to 720, so they become much more aggressive. They likely use Okizeme and blockstrings that cover all of your other escape options because they are confident in the fact that you won't use GETB.

I personally do 2A on your wakeup. It recovers in time to beat a backdash and leads into a low/high/frametrap/throw mixup

This is why it seems like your opponents are always smothering you with mixup that is difficult to block, pressure that is hard to escpae, and throw setups that are difficult to react to online.

When your opponent starts regularly doing things like this (Standing in front of you and attacking on your wakeup; doing long pressure strings or using stagger pressure; throwing you; using overheads) THAT IS WHEN YOU 720 THEM.

By "be more noobish with your 720s" I mean do stuff like GETB after a neutral tech or GETB as soon as you get enough heat. Your opponent is banking on the fact that you won't use the 720 at a predictable time because you have conditioned them to think that way.

Serious advice here.... Once you realize that an opponent is not respecting you do this: block the first attack of their blockstring, spin the stick as fast as you can while rapidly tapping C. This will 720 as soon as there is a hole in their blockstring. EVEN IF YOU DON'T HIT THEM WITH IT (and I'm willing to bet that 9 times out of 10 you WILL catch them), it will show them that you are willing to use that move. After you do this a few times they will start to end their pressure early again and not throw out overheads or throws as much. They will revert to how they were when you first played them. They will be afraid of the 720.

And don't feel dirty or cheap because you 720 someone with the above tactic. THEY should feel dirty and cheap for having the audacity to do shit like 2A (gap) 2A (gap) 2A (gap) 66 throw on TAGER while he's sitting on 50 heat. If your opponent is doing whatever they want against you they DESERVE to have their faces slammed into the ground with little to no effort on your part.

Once you get 50 heat your opponent will be scared to do any serious kind of mixup against you. They will spend most of their time jump cancelling and ending blockstrings early, making your time on defense much easier.

Use the 720 as a check on their aggression. If you notice them being overly aggressive, throw out some 720s until they start backing off.

tldr; First few matches against a new opponent: don't 720. After that 720 on wakeup and during their blockstrings.

Edit: I have done 2A (gap) 2A (gap) 2A (gap) 66 throw against you. That didn't come from nowhere. I feel that, whenever we play, you should win a lot more than you do (and probably at least be even with me). You just don't use Tager's powerful tools as much as you should.

lol dark, that is basically an exact writeup of the matches me and nombre just had. Except I just go in against every Tager, so. :v:

But generally 360s and 720s are there to stop them from overextending with pressure.

1) Whenever you went for a backdash, you tried to punish with a normal throw. And every time, I broke it. If you did a 360, you would have gotten me instead.

I wanted to do that because I saw it too, but I couldn't get my hands to not.

2) You were getting hit by my throws a lot for some reason. Any idea why?

If I knew this one, I wouldn't still be complaining about not being able to tech them. I'm just never ready for them.

3) I didn't feel like you were controlling your space strongly enough. Getting in on you should be like muscling my way past a military bunker, so you should make sure to use all your options to make it feel that way. You were doing good by 2Aing some jump ins and 2Cing them very quickly.

4) In a similar vein, you were giving me too much free reign up close. Did you notice how in the beginning, I was blowing past your defense? It was because you just kept blocking. But then later you started throwing in 360s once the pressure got too great, and took a huge chunk of life off me. Normally you don't want to just throw them out there, but it's good to use them in a controlled way.

I didn't know what to do. It was either a) block and look for an opening b) get countered or c) get counter-hit

On the plus side, you didn't fall for any of my resets, and I couldn't get you to take the bait for my anti-throw Hotaru attempts.

Honestly, it's that I'm too stupid to know what I'm supposed to fall for, so I don't.

-snipped for brevity, respect for tracking down the old post -

Thanks. I thought I had been doing it more (but not vs mac that set because he was still jumping too much for me to mentally justify throwing it out there), but I guess it's still not enough.

I wanted to do that because I saw it too, but I couldn't get my hands to not.
Just try to mentally tell yourself beforehand to get ready for it, and try it in training mode a few times until it becomes muscle memory.

If I knew this one, I wouldn't still be complaining about not being able to tech them. I'm just never ready for them.
Heh, well, don't feel too bad, I get everybody with it. Everybody. :v: I was just wondering if there was a specific reason.

I didn't know what to do. It was either a) block and look for an opening b) get countered or c) get counter-hit
Yeah, that just comes with experience. That and even when you know what to do, it can be hard to think clearly when someone is really putting you on the ropes.

Honestly, it's that I'm too stupid to know what I'm supposed to fall for, so I don't.
I noticed that, actually. Not that you are stupid, but that you were missing some of my traps. So I figured you just hadn't seen them since you had not played the matchup or me or Hakus enough. That just means I have to walk you through the various stages of mixup so you will be looking for them next time. If you want to do mixup properly you can't just skip ahead to the more advanced ones. You have to condition and prepare your opponent for it.

Thanks. I thought I had been doing it more (but not vs mac that set because he was still jumping too much for me to mentally justify throwing it out there), but I guess it's still not enough.
Yeah, I was still expecting it. That and I try to unnerve Tagers or psyche them out by just getting in their face while they have 50 heat. "I can GETB him! But he knows! Why is he so close? Is it safe to do it? Should I just blo-- *gets thrown*"

I hear that Mac is a different kind of beast, but I know you'll catch me with it.

At the end of most of our matches I find myself thinking, "Alright, this is risky, but here goes. If he 720s here I'm fucked....He didn't *phew*."

My brother is playing SF4 right now. I'm just watching him body people in some player matches. You can play him if you play SF4 though.

By Tuesday i should be playing regularly like i used too on XBL though i will be using my bros account to play since i have no live but i should have a room set up with my name if people want to play me its been a while.

GGs, Dark. The only character I really know and I dropped so much with her. RIP U. Noel :cry:

GGs Back. Had fun with unlimiteds even though I got smacked mostly.

I'm surprised my Makoto was still decent. Usually when I take an RPG break I get rolled hardcore. (Although there was a stretch where you were obliterating me.)

@Mac: We played a few matches a while back, but not very many. I'm not sure how we got matched up actually since you usually do private rooms and I hop in with randoms.

Edit; Also I wish regular Noel had the distortion where she teleport dashes then blows the foe up. That move is so cool I would sub Noel just to use it.

Even if you only throw me, you'll keep beating me :lol:

I think the only time I teched a throw was when I was trying to throw you :P

I dunno what it is about throws, man. Even offline when I see 'em coming, they bop me anyways :gonk: Gonna need to hyperbolic that one day... dunno if that day will be before or during BBCP...

Even if you only throw me, you'll keep beating me :lol:

I think the only time I teched a throw was when I was trying to throw you :P

I dunno what it is about throws, man. Even offline when I see 'em coming, they bop me anyways :gonk: Gonna need to hyperbolic that one day... dunno if that day will be before or during BBCP...

I'm always just a taaaad bit late with throw techs. I always get the ones where you think you should have teched it but...nope they punch you across the screen.