Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shinsyn

The Illinois Thread: We Play Everything!

I'd like to keep doing anime at GGA on fridays.  Anyone want to take a trip to round one this Saturday?

I can probably do this if I don't go tomorrow.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

I'd like to keep doing anime at GGA on fridays.  Anyone want to take a trip to round one this Saturday?

I can probably do this if I don't go tomorrow.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, wiredgod said:

yep, I'm down for this.  I'll check with Steve, too

Results from Bubbleghost crisis & chicago 2040:

Spoiler

Guilty Gear Xrd -sign-

Spoiler

1st FF|ElvenShadow (Faust)

2nd Sym (Millia)

3rd Shin sin (Chip)

Nitro+ Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel

Spoiler

1st BFH (Rulli)

2nd CPzL|Crimefighter (Al)

3rd RM|Truth (Ignis)

Under Night In-birth Exe:Late

Spoiler

1st BFH (Byakuya/Waldstein)

2nd Nobody.exe (Seth/Gordeau)

3rd PearlyFey (Byakuya)

Blazblue Chrono Phantasm Extend

Spoiler

1st FrostMonarch (Nu 13)

2nd XIIIBlades (Jin)

3rd Nobody.exe (Kagura)

The dates for April will be 4/15 for xrd and nitro+ and 4/29 for under night and blazblue. Both xrd and nitro+ will be run on PS4 as we'll be running the revelator demo rather than sign, so be prepared to play on PS4, and if you can bring a revelator set-up please do. Uni and BB will both be on PS3 as always.

Off weeks are still casuals for all anime, and we'll still be streaming more random stuff like round robins.

The dates for may will be 5/13 for xrd/nitro+, and 5/20 for uni/bb

edit: Forgot the names for the April tournaments, they will be Ghostective Conan on the 15th and Phantom Ghost Kid on the 29th

I'm getting bopped a bit by real life lately.  My job is heating up and I just got engaged.  I'd like people to know I'm still dedicated to the community and I'm going to participate to the greatest degree I can or have energy too.  I'm hoping in the near future I'll start attending every week again.  I'm thinking I'll show up at Ignite some as well to grind on Revelator.

GGA is going to be short staffed on friday this week, so no casuals, the uni/bb monthly is still on for the 29th though

Results from the April GGA tournaments

Spoiler

Ghostective conan:

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator

1st - FF | Elvenshadow :FA:

2nd - Sym :MI:

3rd - Shin Sin :CH:

Phantom Ghost Kid:

Under Night in-Birth exe:late

1st - [YASE] Luminabyss :UNI_AK:

2nd - [WAIFS] BunniesFromHell :UNI_BY:

3rd - PearlyFey :UNI_BY:

Blazblue Chrono Phantasm Extend

1st - Woocash :LI:/:JI:

2nd - Shenanigans :CEL:/:RG:

3rd - Aragorn :KA:

The May tournaments have a name, 5/13 will be Super Ghost Chan and will feature Revelator as well as melty blood (Melty blood probably wont get streamed) and 5/20 will be Super Ghost Chan exe:late featuring blazblue and under night. Revelator will obviously be on PS4, melty will be running on laptops, and both blazblue and under night will be running on PS3.

As normal it's a $5 venue fee and $5 tournament entry, if you bring a console that can run one of the tournament games venue fee is a waved. Tournaments should start ~9 but make sure to show up earlier to sign up. And of course there'll be time for casuals both before and after tournament.

Dates for june should be 6/10 for xrd and 6/24 for uni/bb. They're subject to change but if they do I'll edit this post and probably say something on twitter.

Also, unrelated to tournaments, there's now a chicago anime discord server, if you want an invite hit me up on twitter.

So I'm considering going to GGA's tournament tomorrow, however I'm not too good at the game. Will I be out of place if I show up, as I will get bodied hard?

54 minutes ago, Gunraidan said:

So I'm considering going to GGA's tournament tomorrow, however I'm not too good at the game. Will I be out of place if I show up, as I will get bodied hard?

Most likely, try it at least once anyways to see what happens, what do you play?

40 minutes ago, seventyxxtimes7 said:

Most likely, try it at least once anyways to see what happens, what do you play?

I primarily play Skullgirls, but I occasionally dab in SIGN. So if I suck I shouldn't be going?

2 minutes ago, Gunraidan said:

I primarily play Skullgirls, but I occasionally dab in SIGN. So if I suck I shouldn't be going?

Depends on what you are looking for.  Friday is the Xrd monthly, so if you want exposure, it is a chance to play a lot of different people in one night.  I've been going for about 6 months, and I can't recall SG ever being played at a station, though.

7 minutes ago, ShadowBagel said:

Depends on what you are looking for.  Friday is the Xrd monthly, so if you want exposure, it is a chance to play a lot of different people in one night.  I've been going for about 6 months, and I can't recall SG ever being played at a station, though.

Well I'll be going for Guilty Gear. I just don't want to seem too out of place or stand out for the wrong reasons. I have never been to these fighting game meetups before so I'm not sure how they are. I just want to go to play some offline matches and meet people.

Just now, Gunraidan said:

Well I'll be going for Guilty Gear. I just don't want to seem too out of place or stand out for the wrong reasons.

Its a bunch of guys that are all there because they love playing the game.  If you are willing to learn while taking a beating in the process, nobody will judge.  Most players are pretty experienced, but there's always a handful of people that are in the process of picking it up.  Play some games, ask questions, have fun, and you will get along just fine.

I get there at 5:15 and am usually there all night, but I pretty much just stick to blazblue.  It technically starts at 7, I think.  People usually start getting there between 7:30 and 8.  We usually try to start the tournament by 9.

Results from the may GGA tournaments

Spoiler

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator:

1st Sym :MI:

2nd FF| Elvenshadow :FAU:

3rd Woocash :SIN:

Melty blood Round Robin winner: Bunniesfromhell (F P.Ciel)

Under Night in-birth

1st BFH :UNI_BY:/:UNI_ME:

2nd PearlyFey :UNI_BY:

3rd The ghost of Fabama :UNI_GO:

Blazblue

1st Woocash :LI:

2nd BFH :AR:

3rd Wigs :NO:

Don't forget to come on 6/10 for Ghostcross 7 which will feature guilty gear and melty blood. As well as 6/24 for The Galaxy is Ghosting Me which will feature Blazblue and Under night.

For guilty gear we'll be running on PS4, for melty we'll be running it on laptops. Undernight and blazblue will both be PS3. $5 venue fee and $5 tournament entry. Venue fee is waved if you bring a console and game for tournament.

The July tournaments will be on 7/8 for guilty gear and 7/29 for BB/uni.

Results from June GGA tournaments

Spoiler

GG Xrd Rev:

1st ShinSin :CHP:

2nd Zinac :FAU:

3rd Woocash :SIN:

Melty:

1st BFH (F P.Ciel)

Uni:

1st BFH :UNI_BY:

BBCPE:

1st Woocash :AM:

Since the under night and blazblue tournaments have basically been getting the same turnout those games normally have at casual nights, we're gonna switch back to the old format of having tournaments for those games every week. Xrd monthlies will still happen as normal. The next one is on July 8th.

Results from Ghostnitial D:

1st FlameIce :ELP:

2nd Frankentank :POT:

3rd Zerashi (There's no jack-o face apparently, but he was using jack-o)

Next tournament is set for 8/12, then 9/9 ((Edit: uhhh, never mind, GGA monthlies and weeklies are on hiatus while they handle some construction/arcade/production stuff))

Also there's been talk on the chicago anime discord about isuka 2v2s, and I'm down for that if there are players.

((woops turns out I wrote this post and then forgot to hit reply))

23 minutes ago, jellyrajah said:

is there parking available near galloping ghost?

There's a parking lot at GGA, it's pretty small but if it fills up there's also street parking behind the building (it's a residential street, but as long as you don't block someone's driveway you're fine)

8 minutes ago, Crimefighter said:

There's a parking lot at GGA, it's pretty small but if it fills up there's also street parking behind the building (it's a residential street, but as long as you don't block someone's driveway you're fine)

sounds good. uniel is every friday?

Yeah more or less, when there's xrd tournaments there's less time/set-ups for uni, but there's always uni players around. BBCPE is usually played too. We were off today cause of evo but next week is still on.

GGA is having some construction done (Eddie's post about it http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sou01l) so after this week weeklies and monthlies will be on a hiatus. Tomorrow is still on, but after that keep your ear to the ground.

For a reminder on the other stuff in chicago: Ignite hosts weeklies every monday that are mainly SF5, but all games are welcome. Also they have a monthly coming up for SF5 and Xrd (unsure if non-SF/xrd casuals are allowed at the monthly) this saturday (details for the monthly here:https://smash.gg/tournament/mix-up-monthly-2-1/details). For Xrd a lot of the chicago players regularly set-up lobbies and/or host casuals at their place, It's not exactly super orginized and you'll need to contact various folks directly, but if you follow shinsin on twitter (https://twitter.com/cj_shinsin) he'll probably tweet out/RT that stuff.

There is also a chicago anime discord server where you're likely to hear about players organizing a trip to R1 or anything like that. If you want an invite PM/DM me on some website somewhere.

Also since we've lost the weekly uni physical venue I might try and organize/stream weekly uni netplay lobbies or something, I'll probably post about that on twitter if it develops