Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shinsyn

The Illinois Thread: We Play Everything!

sadly none... most of my friends are FPS players its quite disappointing, but the ones that do play, play at a minimum level so their skills suck really bad. P.S non of my friends would want to spend a few hours driving to play a few rounds of video games

What?!? Driving is part of the experience!! But yea... I hope you can resolve your transportation issue somehow... we would love to have you, even I you aren't good... you would probably learn more offline playing with us than anywhere else:eng101:

Been out for awhile guys, and I'm glad to see that someone else is interested in what we're trying to accomplish here. As I said before, I'm working in North Chicago this weekend and the update status remains the same until Monday after I get out of class.

I'll head up there and see what we can do to get something going at the end of the month.

trust me... fighting games to my friends (especially blazblue) is like learning a new language from scratch

Everyone started somewhere. I think people need to get over the fact that people are better based on experience. Of course they are better they learned the ins and outs already. People need to realize they have to dedicate a little bit of time to get the hang of things. It does take a while to learn fighting games totally from scratch but it's not impossible by any means. To reiterate: Everyone started out somewhere knowing little to nothing.

Everything that Arc said but you also have to take in account of those getting the people into the fighting games are actually teaching them properly. These are the guys you wanna take your time against and sandbag, last thing you need is to go all in on a new guy and turn him away from the game you're trying to get them to play. That's how I got a few of my friends to start.

Sadly, they saw me play BB on YouTube and found out I was sandbagging against them and got pissed off, but then they realized: well, if he played me at full force, I would have never picked up the game again. Hopefully this venue thing works out and if we can get something going for the last weekend of this month, invite them. It's gonna be casuals besides, it wouldn't be right to start off ran-bats on the first meet-up without playing the games casually first.

You are absolutely right about that Shin. People need to feel like they are competitive to an extent. Although, people need to actually be willing to try in the first place. That seems to be the biggest hurdle to overcome in my experience. Especially when people see Arcana Heart and say: "WTF is this girly bs?" Leave Heart Aino alone Science damnit!! I lost my train of thought....

Yes. I will have some toast.

I dunno, maybe I'm weird, but nothing pisses me off more than being coddled like that. I'd rather lose to someone playing at full force that lose to someone who was toying with me.

I dunno, maybe I'm weird, but nothing pisses me off more than being coddled like that. I'd rather lose to someone playing at full force that lose to someone who was toying with me.

I feel the same way usually. Unfortunately I think that mindset is in the minority rather than the majority.

No one likes to be patronized.

I understand where you're coming from Ve but what we're talking about isn't related to those who are used to playing fighting games. Sandbagging against someone who is used to the competitive field of fighters is an insult, but sandbagging against someone who has NEVER played a fighting game before is a way to begin building the foundation of that player from scratch.

The focus is to get them interested and developing their skill, not to show dominance over a lesser skilled player. If you really want them to play again, this is the best way to get new players coming back for more. Now there is nothing wrong with giving the new guys a display of what mid/high level play looks like between players that know what they're doing, so that it gives them a play level to strive for.

BTW, when I get home, I'll post up on what the guys @ Ignite and I were discussing and get you guy's feelings on what happened today.

Hey guys, I just got back and this is what we got going for us:

They are willing to let us host our venue there, they will charge us the normal fee on the first gathering but depending on the turn out and the consistency of our showings, they will move on to a flat rate which will be cheaper. So far, the prices are:

3 hours: $12

5 hours: $19

The more hours after that, the larger price gets (obviously)

These are the time lengths and prices per person, it's doable and once we show we can do this on a constant basis we will be able to obtain a flat rate for everyone since out group is pretty small. I doubt we can make this weekly since everyone's got things going on but if you guys want to to that we can. We can order food there or we can go to one of the nearby restaurants in the area. Choices vary from McDonalds/Popeys/and 2 other places I cannot remember ATM.

They would like to know a week ahead of time so we can book our event. Since Saturday seems to be the day a lot of you guys can show, and it's one of their busiest days. Now, let's decide on this:

What is a good day for you guys? Is Saturday the 25th good or do we need to push this later than that?

How long do you guys want to stay there? If it's casuals, we can do 3 hours but if you want to play longer, I'm down for 5 as well.

Is this going to be a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly gathering?

What is the earliest we should gather?

What time should we get things started?

These are the few questions they need answered soon so we can work our way to getting a flat rate after our first meet.

We need to provide our own consoles due to how their set up is. This actually benefits us since we all have pads/arcade sticks and such and where they have it set up will not allow wired pads/sticks to reach. It's a small setback but it's not that major. I will have a PS3 console with me so that we can start. copy and it would be great if we could get another copy for the 360 so the XBOX guys aren't left out.

Answer up soon so I can get back with them and we can start playing offline.

Well Shin that sounds like a plan. If you guys can decide on regular meetings then I can organize around that. I work nights so I wake up in the afternoon. That and the drive time=evenings for me. Exactly what kind of windows of time are you looking for? Also one or two days? I have no problem hanging around since cost is no object to me. But I know not everyone is in the same boat.

Sorry for the fuster cluck but I am in a rush before heading to work.

According to how my schedule works, this should be:

- Monthly (Give everyone enough time to plan schedules accordingly, as well as grow at the game over that month).

- 5 hours long (Since we'd only be meeting once a month, might as well use as much time as we can get).

- Earliest time to gather should be no later than around 3pm or so.

- Set ups should be ready at least within 20 minutes of our meeting up.

I can also provide PS3 console as well as copies of BB and GG(Shin's), but Shin is definitely the go-to guy when it comes to FGs, I don't think there's an FG he doesn't have on PS3.

i really hope to go to one of these things but at the moment im going to an Anime Convention thats held every year.... last year there was a casual TEKKEN tourny i placed in the semi-finals and was spammed to death by a king player

Given the fact that I wake up at 3pm that does not exactly work for me. Throw in the 3 hour drive time and that seems like a disaster. If you all want to run with that that is fine. Just may not work for me. At least until I quit/find day work. My current job is about ready to get my resignation to be totally honest.

Edit: It is actually pretty relevant since I got a job interview sometime in these next two weeks for a(hopefully) day job.

I actually do not mind working at night. But lately I really REALLY need a change of pace. Daytime hours work best for the rest of the world. Also working 12's endlessly sucks even more ass when you work night shift. RAWR!

Happy V-Day IL I am going to bed tired and sick feeling.

We could always start around 5-6 so that we can get a few games in before Arc gets in and when he shows up there will still be time for him to play. Most casuals/gatherings for most scenes usually don't start until 6 and end around Midnight anyway. If Arc can make it that day, I say we wait a bit before we start. Also, I'm going to cancel my trip to Michigan so that this can work out smoothly because now that I live here, this is my scene. I have to cater to you guys instead of Michigan.

They are gonna be upset, LOL! It's cool though, they'll understand.

Nigga we ain't upset.

Rep your residence.

*REJECTED*

LOL, JK. Thanks for understanding guys.

On another note, I'm currently waiting on my copy of Extend. These guys haven't gotten my copy in but they're waiting on the UPS guy to show up with it. Hopefully I can pick it up before I head to class.

Looks like my copy of CSX is out of stock so I have no idea when I will be getting that. This is the second time I have been sold something that couldn't be sent to me. Why the fuck do people sell me shit they can't give me? O.o

It's okay, I have my copy.