Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gli

[CSE]The Rachel Sanctuary (Free for all, some posts NSFW) 8.0!

The matches between Buppa and Shadow has me pretty much set on Naoto and Mitsuru. Just need to see some videos of Akihiko and i'll be good. The game does look surprisingly fun as well.

Whoa, Badguy's back? What's up~.

NM. Drawn back to the game by a B tier Rachel. Considering I haven't even played since mid CS1, it got me pretty excited.

Whoa, Badguy AND Tari is back? What's up~. :PPP

Real talk, I'm seeing names in here I haven't seen since early CT. Stay GDLK Rachel forum.

I tend to gravitate towards the weirder/oddball characters, so I'll probably try Teddie first.

I didn't stay I stick with the character. ;]

I was going to main Arakune first, but switched to Rachel for BB. Rachel is kind of a weird character though, to me.

Rachel IS weird with all the talking familiars and questionable taste in shoes, but it doesn't make her any less lovable.

All this P4A footage and now Melty 2.0 too. Both look really good. Anime games coming out in full force.

You mean the stuff about how American Rachels use too much wind? I sort of agree.

A lot of Rachel players tend to commit too much wind on mixups that should be easy to block on reaction (i.e. winded 4b) or spend too many winds trying to combo off pumpkin but failing to get anything good out of it. This leaves you with no wind to cover summons and lobelias with pumpkin or prevents you from getting optimal combos off something like 6a CH. Also, being out of wind is basically a green light for the opponent to rush you down hard because the risk/reward ratio goes heavily into their favor.

Still, it's hard to criticize because momentum is everything. Sometimes you just need to seem aggressive even if the mixups aren't strong and sometimes you just want to guarantee that pumpkin will catch them so that you don't get caught in blockstun and lose your advantage.

Finally, I think they underestimated how fast wind regens. Personally, I tend to forget how fast wind regens and don't use it enough. Most of the time you still had enough wind to get stuff done even when I thought you used too much. I don't think wind conservation is as big a deal as it was in CT.

tldr;

We deal with American tournaments - not theoretical high-level JP play. In American tournaments, be aggressive and go for the big damage combos because American defense is terrible and they don't know the matchups.

damn, i'm responding to this late. actually, having been watching a lot of japanese vids lately, i can say that winded 4b is not my first option but it works in japan too...and even on spark occasionally. japanese are also being more liberal with their wind because of two reasons imo: 1) improved wind regeneration during combos makes spending the wind less risky; 2) with improved push back from barrier, less chance of guard break, and faster wind regeneration when blocking, it is not as scary to block as it used to be, not to mention damage is in general smaller than it used to be, so getting hit is less painful than it was before.

other improvements allow rachel's neutral game to be less dependent on wind. 6a mainly. the worst thing a rachel can do is be obvious and just sit there regaining wind...rachel has decent options without wind between 6a, 6b, and lobelias.

the new top rachels in japan are as liberal with their wind as we are: hyaku shoku (spelling) and kure hane expend their wind frequently to get that one hit into knockdown. imo matsu is the only conservative rachel that does well, but i think that the other rachels have surpassed him

as far as spending too much wind on random pumpkin, the reason i think that happens more in america is because most american players don't respect our options with pumpkin right next to them, so hitting them with it, even for 800 damage is worth it if for no other reason then to make them think twice before disregarding it the next time

i think ppl should watch more jp vids if they think jp play is a lot different (it's just that there is more documentation of their good players imo)

anyway, dat's my thoughts

I think one reason why jpn. Rachels don't save up wind for neutral game as much anymore is because of pumpkin nerfs since CT.

Back then it was a legitimate tactic to have a pumpkin out then sit on wind all day long because it didn't disappear after some time.

Now it vanishes after only 3 secs after it has been winded (and 5 or 6 secs if it wasn't winded yet). Whenever you have to resummon it, it creates a little opportunity for your opponent to get near you. So it's probably a better idea to use it all at once to force damage onto them, then get it back all at once during the combo.

Tbh I liked CT Rachel's wind management and neutral game more, but I guess it can't be helped :(

I think I'll go and watch your matches now Herbal Grey, I'm especially curious to see how you handled Litchi.

anyone found a way to do j2c air iris without it bluebeating? :(

l saw a vid yesterday of a rc doing 6a (ch) dash 5b jc 2d dj2c(lv2) 236b sjc(hold) jc dj j2c (delay) j214c. the air iris dropped but l tried it in practice mode and it works. how useful it is l dunno but l was able to do a falling jc after the air iris for relaunch stuff.

That's a tough one..

You want to make sure 236B hits as late as possible, giving you enough time to jump high enough before you hit with j.C. And don't delay the j.214C, do it immediately after j.2C.

Comboing afterwards seems to be hard/impossible though. They tech as soon as I hit them with 5B. A falling j.2C gets registered as lvl2 j.2C, but everything after that doesn't work..

Maybe we can land an air combo with better starters like CH j.C. Will edit as soon as I find out something.

edit: 5B 3C 8D (dash) 5B j.C 2D jc j.2C 236B sj.(delay)[C] j.C jc j.2C j.214C (land) 5B j.B j.C jc j.2C

3730 damage, 38 heat. Doesn't seem to work with 5B 5CD 3C 8D [...] though.. :/

[...] (land) 5CC might work..? IDK, I got 5C to connect once.

We theorized back before CSE came out that you could do some sort of combo into 236B... j.2C j.214C and follow it up with BBL or whatnot, but the usefulness of that particular setup for extending combos was/is limited and not as useful as we'd hoped it might be. Mind you, I only tested it out for a short while, so who knows, maybe there're more uses than my initial experiments made me think.

Anyway, regardless of usability, it's still flashy as all heck.

I'm more intrigued on how he has nothing but beverages and peanuts. It's like he's stocking for an airplane or something

Or the end of the world, I mean... water's gotta survive.... or we're fucked... and motherfuckin' peanuts.... why.... they're the Twinkies of the vege.... tube... plan... tur.... nut....? Why.... they're the Twinkies of the vegetubeplanturnut kingdom, they gotta survive, too.

Or the end of the world, I mean... water's gotta survive.... or we're fucked... and motherfuckin' peanuts.... why.... they're the Twinkies of the vege.... tube... plan... tur.... nut....? Why.... they're the Twinkies of the vegetubeplanturnut kingdom, they gotta survive, too.

Legumes homie...Legumes