Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurushii

[CSE] Relius Clover - General Discussion "American Frame Traps"

Note the Ignis out part

Having Ignis out while you're in pressure is harder than it sounds

Indeed, the silly woman just keeps running into swords and all sorts. But when it works, it's awesome.

It might be time to say, "Goodbye loli and hello family man."

I know dat feel man ;_;

So does anyone know what Relius's optimal corner combos are for lots of gauge, little/no gauge, and heat usage? I've been doing 5B 5C/3C 236C 214A dash 6C 214A 5C 4D 5C j.B j.C j.236C j.214A falling j.B 5B 5C 4D 236C 214A but it uses up like 70% of the gauge so you can't really follow up with anything unless you use gear super to buy some recharge time. Dropping the 6C 214A 5C 4D in the middle and just doing 236C 214A 5C etc. uses up less but then the entire thing does bitch damage.

Also I think 4D might have repeat prorate so it's probably not good to be using it twice in a combo.

The general main optimal corner combo is:

(starter) -> 236C -> 214A -> 5C(2) -> jB -> jC -> j236C -> j214A -> falling jC -> 2C -> 4D -> 3C -> jD

That ender gives you good oki with a falling jC that will catch tech rolls and is safe from reversals/mashing. You could also omit the jD and go for oki with Ignis or an unblockable.

Of course there are other combos (as found in the combo thread) that lead to more damage, but they also use more of Ignis' meter and some of them don't leave you with as strong of oki. The combo I listed does not use very much of Ignis' meter, so if your falling jC catches your opponent trying to do something, then you can go into another full combo without worrying about running out of meter (as long as it's the same combo).

I have other corner combos I haven't put in there but as Toasty said only two or three is needed with him depending on going all out or saving meter/oki.

Haven't had much of a chance to screw around in training yet but here's 2 combos I did on Jin that don't feel character specific since the combo thread is kind of sparse. If somebody wants to check them on other characters go for it otherwise I will later.

midscreen: 2b 6b 6c 214a 6b sj.c j.8d j.236c j.214b ad Does 3024 iirc and gives you the airdash oki. If you want a bit more damage you can dj.c in between j.8d and j.236c. Didn't check damage from 5b starter but it likely does more than the challenge 5b combo.

starting position or closer: 6a 236c RC dash 2c delay 6c 214a j.b dj.bc j.236c j.214a fall j.c 5c(2) 4d 3c oki Does 4k and gives you the corner 3c oki. You want to delay the air combo as much as possible to carry them further.

(...) > 3C/Throw > 236C > 214A > Dash 6B > j236C > 2C > 6C > 4D > 3C > (236C) [2000 IC minimum]

I haven't seen anything that costs less meter than this and gives you 3C ender. If someone has found something better please post up. Also, if you don't space the 3C right at the end by adjusting your distance, the falling jC tech roll punish after 3C will sometimes catch them but they will be hit up behind you and launched out of the corner. The combo Toasty posted is much better (read: easier) for setting up the correct/desired distance. Also, I say "2000 IC minumum" because you could use Ignis specials and normals beforehand to confirm, adding to the overall cost of the combo.

Max damage stuff? Don't really care much for it. Others have probably done more work in that department than I have. All my work has gone into blockstrings, mixup, and oki. I worked on my 4-5 combos depending on screen position/cost/desired knockdown and called it a day after that.

Yea I have tons of stupid max damage shit. For corner yea I haven't found a better one than that one you do St1ck for low cost. I remember when I first saw you doing it I was confused how you were tk'ing after the 6B so easily then I realized you were using them old GG jump installs. Jump installing it made it so easy. :3

@Sten Yea rejump midscreen combos and 236C RC combos I have a ton of in my notepad. That's some of the later ones im going to throw into the combo thread.

(...) > 3C/Throw > 236C > 214A > Dash 6B > j236C > 2C > 6C > 4D > 3C > (236C) [2000 IC minimum]

I haven't seen anything that costs less meter than this and gives you 3C ender. If someone has found something better please post up. Also, if you don't space the 3C right at the end by adjusting your distance, the falling jC tech roll punish after 3C will sometimes catch them but they will be hit up behind you and launched out of the corner. The combo Toasty posted is much better (read: easier) for setting up the correct/desired distance. Also, I say "2000 IC minumum" because you could use Ignis specials and normals beforehand to confirm, adding to the overall cost of the combo.

Max damage stuff? Don't really care much for it. Others have probably done more work in that department than I have. All my work has gone into blockstrings, mixup, and oki. I worked on my 4-5 combos depending on screen position/cost/desired knockdown and called it a day after that.

You can hit Jin with 3C after TK 236C (so you wouldn't need to spend for 4D), but it whiffs some other characters. I never tested who it hit and who it didn't.

And st1ck isn't kidding, that's the most practical corner combo you'll run. You burn Ignis meter like nothing trying to zone and hit people, so when it comes time to combo, you want to conserve unless they're gonna die or you need serious corner carry.

Speaking of corner carry, does 756 IAD make it so 3c>6D>IAD j.B always connects? I saw that in some jp vids but never tested. Much harder to input, I imagine, but if it always works it's worth it

You can hit Jin with 3C after TK 236C (so you wouldn't need to spend for 4D), but it whiffs some other characters. I never tested who it hit and who it didn't.

And st1ck isn't kidding, that's the most practical corner combo you'll run. You burn Ignis meter like nothing trying to zone and hit people, so when it comes time to combo, you want to conserve unless they're gonna die or you need serious corner carry.

Speaking of corner carry, does 756 IAD make it so 3c>6D>IAD j.B always connects? I saw that in some jp vids but never tested. Much harder to input, I imagine, but if it always works it's worth it

If the 3C link is iffy then I'd rather not do it. That's cool that you got something like that to work though.

For doing the j.236C after the dash 6B I just hold up back for a split second and then start to input the 236 motion. I found this easier to do compared to the 2369 motion.

Air dash combos are tricky. It's harder on some of the cast. I get it consistently when I slightly delay the 6D after the 3C and IAD as soon as possible after that.

On a bad day when I'm not getting the timing I'll just do the airdash > jA > jB > j9D route instead. It will cost me 1000 more IC but it gets the job done.

Huh, I found this neat little reset gimmick in the corner.

With Doll Out, Corner Forward Throw, 5B,2C,4D, 5C(2 Hits), 6B, sj., j.b, j.c, j.236C, j.214A, j.C, 2C, 4D, 5C (2 hits) 4D.

With the second 5C at the end of it, they should get hit by the first hit of 5C, but be able to tech out of the second hit. If they're not barrier blocking they'll get hit with the 4D air unblockable + wall bounce for another damaging corner combo.

^can you return ignis after 4d and still continue the combo so she can regenerate? that would be godlike.

hey guys l have no idea what this means...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNcv7RQyk0

around 1:44. something about 214ab, etc... how does this work? is this just a wakeup option or can he cancel the recovery of ignis specials???

^can you return ignis after 4d and still continue the combo so she can regenerate? that would be godlike.

hey guys l have no idea what this means...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNcv7RQyk0

around 1:44. something about 214ab, etc... how does this work? is this just a wakeup option or can he cancel the recovery of ignis specials???

It's probably talking about barrier canceling quick getup into an ignis special. Mike Z had a video on it in CT where you can cancel quick getup recovery at about 4 frames in I think into barrier, then release barrier and do a special.

It's probably talking about barrier canceling quick getup into an ignis special. Mike Z had a video on it in CT where you can cancel quick getup recovery at about 4 frames in I think into barrier, then release barrier and do a special.

That's actually really important to know considering the lack of a reversal.

Which characters can you do ...> 6B > 6C > 214A > Dash > 6B > sj.B > j.8D > IAD Underneath Opponent > j.236C > j.214A > j.C > Ender on?

You don't have to dash after the 214A to hit with 6B. Actually, i don't think you even have time to dash if you do it midscreen; you have to do the 6B as soon as you recover from 214A.

So, I was practicing different variants of challenge 15 on the entire cast last night and was able to successfully complete the combo on everyone. Everyone except for Noel. >:C

I can't connect the gear super on her, any tips for the timing? Or is it actually not possible to do on her?

EDIT: I was able to do it if I added a 4D before the super ([...] j.214B, 5C, 4D, Gear...) and it worked, but the opponent can tech after the first hit of Vol Tedo.

You don't have to dash after the 214A to hit with 6B. Actually, i don't think you even have time to dash if you do it midscreen; you have to do the 6B as soon as you recover from 214A.

You have to dash on some characters, like Litchi or Jin, for example. And you can definitely do it mid-screen.

You have to dash on some characters, like Litchi or Jin, for example. And you can definitely do it mid-screen.

You're right, you can dash and get it mid-screen. I tried it on Litchi and Jin without dashing and it does work; have to do the 6B right after recovering from 214A.

Just got the game today, playing him in Challenge mode. He's certainly easier than Carl, but goddamnit does he require a lot of button presses and dashes. It's pretty hard to memorize his combos, and he seems like he'd be a lot easier on stick.

He's still a fun character, but it looks like my plans to main him might have to be put on hold. I still feel the most comfortable with Bang. With a bit more practice I might relegate Relius to sub.

I'm noticing that corner throw reset off of j.214b is pretty hard to work with. What are your best options after the throw? I can land j.C/B then once I'm on the ground I don't know what I should/can use to go from there. Trying to do 5C or 5B > 5C afterwards is pretty sporadic. Any advice on what you can do here?

Just got the game today, playing him in Challenge mode. He's certainly easier than Carl, but goddamnit does he require a lot of button presses and dashes. It's pretty hard to memorize his combos, and he seems like he'd be a lot easier on stick.

He's still a fun character, but it looks like my plans to main him might have to be put on hold. I still feel the most comfortable with Bang. With a bit more practice I might relegate Relius to sub.

I play him on pad no problem. His combos are basic paths. You just need to play him more. You aren't going to memorize everything day 1. Requiring button presses?.... you been playing too much Tager if you complaining about Relius button pressing. The guy isn't even in the same league as the more complex characters that require a lot of inputs to get stuff done.

I'm noticing that corner throw reset off of j.214b is pretty hard to work with. What are your best options after the throw? I can land j.C/B then once I'm on the ground I don't know what I should/can use to go from there. Trying to do 5C or 5B > 5C afterwards is pretty sporadic. Any advice on what you can do here?

I go for other things instead of that neta. Their is legit combos off of j.214B ender in the corner. If I land a air throw off a weird situation I normally try to spam repeated air throws until they get their act together and break it. Course I been playing so many of the top NA players lately I rarely get a throw to land.

I see where he's coming from, Relius is like a Carl that doesn't require NEing. So you do have to press extra buttons in some combos.

I see where he's coming from, Relius is like a Carl that doesn't require NEing. So you do have to press extra buttons in some combos.

I don't see how 5B > 3C > 236C~214A > Dash > 5C(2) > 6B > sjC > j.236C~214A > j.C > 2C > 4D > 3C with Relius is any harder then 5B > 6A > sj.C > j.D > dj.C > j.D > j.214C > 5D(1) > 214D > 5D(2) > 623C~236C~236C > Dash Under > 3C > 22C with Ragna. Ragna's actually has more inputs then Relius' in his.