Shinjin

[AC+R] News & Gameplay Discussion

sorry if this is a noobie/too often asked question, but are people still gonna be playing this game after the US release of Xrd?

I don't see why they wouldn't.  Tons of people still play older games in the Street Fighter and KOF series despite newer installments existing.  Xrd is also different enough from previous GG titles that it doesn't "replace" AC+R the way that game essentially replaced earlier games in the series.

I see GGXX as one of rare 2D fighters that will continue to survive even as technology advances and newer titles come rolling out.  Like Third Strike and KOF '98, I can very easily picture some incarnation of AC getting updated ports on new hardware years from now.  The game has been around long enough to prove it has staying power, and with ASW having now taken the franchise in a new direction, AC+R will likely maintain an active scene as the game of choice for those who prefer classic GG — a demographic I anticipate getting larger as time passes and the new game smell gradually fades from Xrd and its inevitable revisions.

Xrd is certainly one of the most acceptable children of this Accessibility Generation that we're trapped in, particularly in terms of gameplay...

but it's still just a failure from where i'm at...

that art scheme, man... ughhghg... i get cringey just thinkin about it, and it's not going anywhere, is it!!!  :gonk:

cruel evidence that it's not just gameplay that's at risk of getting botched in the development of a new game these days... it has to LOOK cheezy, too... oi...

Who cares people are entitled to their opinion. Which is why I will express mine. The game is fucking beautiful, even on ps3

I want more wallsplats though thank you very much

Who cares people are entitled to their opinion. Which is why I will express mine. 

Yeah... that's what I had just done. -_-

What I miss from +R is not the visuals but the visceral feeling from hits. When you hit somebody with jH or jD it often feels like the screen shakes and the SFX sounds like tearing from the bad quality but that just helps that feeling of destruction. Also when somebody does get wall-splatted it has an oomph Xrd lacks. Though gotta be honest when I first saw Xrd's tumbling animation that shit blew me away.

Yeah... that's what I had just done. -_-

What I miss from +R is not the visuals but the visceral feeling from hits. When you hit somebody with jH or jD it often feels like the screen shakes and the SFX sounds like tearing from the bad quality but that just helps that feeling of destruction. Also when somebody does get wall-splatted it has an oomph Xrd lacks. Though gotta be honest when I first saw Xrd's tumbling animation that shit blew me away.

I just miss attacks blowing my speakers out (like tyrant rave and grand viper) other than that the game is fine

What I miss from +R is not the visuals but the visceral feeling from hits. When you hit somebody with jH or jD it often feels like the screen shakes and the SFX sounds like tearing from the bad quality but that just helps that feeling of destruction. Also when somebody does get wall-splatted it has an oomph Xrd lacks.

This is one of my favorite things about GGXX as well, that sense of wrecking people so badly that the game itself is barely about to keep up with you.  Even on beefy current-gen hardware, it feels like you're overclocking the system just to run GG.  No fighter does presentation better in my opinion.

I'm loving Xrd so far, but there are definitely a number of things AC+R does better.  Hence the reason I can see that game continuing to be played into the future.  Some sequels hit the scene and make their predecessors suddenly look unplayable, but AC still has its own thing going on that makes it fun to play.

I never really got a chance to play AC or AC+R, would be a shame for the scene to die because of Xrd. PSN online scene pretty active post Xrd release?

I feel a little lost playing Xrd so far, but I definitely like it. I got AC+R for PS3, but didn't get too deep into it.

Part of what got my BlazBlue skills up was the Vita versions of CSE and CP. Since there's AC+R for Vita, how translatable is practice on that version towards Xrd? I've got an hour lunch break at work, and if I can get GG down in that time that would be awesome

Dear @ArcSystemWorksU please let @LabZeroGames make GGAC+R ver. B with small fixes and GGPO online. Sincerely, Mike Z.

^ From Mike Z's Twitter feed.

I'm almost positive this won't actually happen, but it's a fun pipe dream.

Part of what got my BlazBlue skills up was the Vita versions of CSE and CP. Since there's AC+R for Vita, how translatable is practice on that version towards Xrd?

Somewhat, I guess?  The basic engine is similar enough that the general feel of the game will carry over, but a lot of specific character strategies and combos will be different.  Playing AC+R certainly won't make you any worse at Xrd, so go for it.

Since a lot of people are waiting for their characters to be put in Xrd, of course people will still play it. Plus it's a great game in it's own right, so it'll relevant even long after.

Basically depending on who you ask, it's either

1. +R is the superior game and Xrd is dumbed down garbage

2. The whole Accent Core series added a bunch of unnecessary crap and thank goodness Xrd went back to a simpler #Reload style

3. Who cares, it's Guilty Gear

Since a lot of people are waiting for their characters to be put in Xrd, of course people will still play it. Plus it's a great game in it's own right, so it'll relevant even long after.

Basically depending on who you ask, it's either

1. +R is the superior game and Xrd is dumbed down garbage

2. The whole Accent Core series added a bunch of unnecessary crap and thank goodness Xrd went back to a simpler #Reload style

3. Who cares, it's Guilty Gear

I'm kind of all 3 at the same time.

Aren't there also still people in Japan who play normal AC over AC+R? Considering how most of the 3S scene absolutely refuses to play on LCDs. It came out on Nesica 2 months ago, and the 3rd highest ranked guy only has 151 matches played (1 and 2 are set to private because they are big losers). And before anyone asks, no, 3S is not dead over there. Not in Tokyo at least.

Not that I know of. There was a vanilla AC cab at Mikado a few months back at 50 yen a play, but it saw little action.

Weird. Is there a reason GG people are so much more open to LCD than 3S people? Serious question, like is there a key gameplay difference? I'd think having extra milliseconds of lag would be even worse for a game with FRC. I feel like if I'd been a serious AC player, I'd have been against +R simply on the grounds of it being totally unnecessary. I super super hate having to relearn things. That's like half the reason I started playing 3S last year, and why I probably will never care about BB again. Not even sure why I'm playing Xrd. :(

I mean you can keep playing the same game. It's just that fewer and fewer people will play you

Weird. Is there a reason GG people are so much more open to LCD than 3S people? Serious question, like is there a key gameplay difference? I'd think having extra milliseconds of lag would be even worse for a game with FRC. I feel like if I'd been a serious AC player, I'd have been against +R simply on the grounds of it being totally unnecessary. I super super hate having to relearn things. That's like half the reason I started playing 3S last year, and why I probably will never care about BB again. Not even sure why I'm playing Xrd. :(

For awhile, +R was still being played on CRT cabinets due to concern over input lag. However, when it became known that there are panels with very low input lag, arcade operators started putting them in their LCD cabinets and slowly started to phase out the Astro/Blast City.

Really, it is for the best. A lot of CRT's have not held up well at all, showing issues with convergence, geometry, etc. One of the KOFXIII cabs at GameSpot Versus is so bad, there's a shadow behind your character on the left side of the screen lol.

FRC's can be pretty reliably pulled off by muscle memory, anyways, so a frame or two of lag is not going to kill your FRC'ing ability. Contrary to popular belief, the majority of windows in Guilty Gear are really not that tight, and even then, this game has generous hitstop for a reason.

There's also the fact that CRT TVs are now becoming very scarce in Japan, what with the pronounced space limitations in cities and all. Plenty of folks in the US still have old CRTs lying around (including myself, I have 2 that still see regular use for standard-def gaming), but most Japanese junked theirs as soon as HDTV flatscreens became affordable.

Huh, that's unfortunate. I wouldn't have guessed based on my experience, but I've mostly only been to tokyo's biggest arcades, so I guess it would stand to reason that they aren't the norm. Hopefully the 3S scene persists, because I'm still delusional about being good at it some day, and further more hopefully the complaints of the more outspoken people about LCD are as overblown as I'd hoped. I've been playing on an ASUS monitor the whole time, and my execution isn't too bad...

the SFX sounds like tearing from the bad quality but that just helps that feeling of destruction.

Haha, yeah that's what i absolutely miss the most too xD

+R also was rebalanced around the extra input delay introduced by the hardware changes from Naomi+CRT to Ringedge+LCD, by adding in extra startup to most reactable overheads. +R effectively became a completely new game that was easy to accept as the next update. While 3S on Nesica/LCD is just the same 15 year old game but with double the input delay, which is understandably not too appealing for the hard core playerbase.

Huh, that's unfortunate. I wouldn't have guessed based on my experience, but I've mostly only been to tokyo's biggest arcades, so I guess it would stand to reason that they aren't the norm. Hopefully the 3S scene persists, because I'm still delusional about being good at it some day, and further more hopefully the complaints of the more outspoken people about LCD are as overblown as I'd hoped. I've been playing on an ASUS monitor the whole time, and my execution isn't too bad...

Dude no 3s player is playing 3s on anything but a cab w crt in Japan. Where are you playing out here btw?? Theres plenty of spots to go to for it. Fuck anything using lcd for that game. It just feels completely off, even monitors with minimal lag still feel terrible.

Really wish I could play +R on crt out here. I notice the delay for +R on lcd as well but I dont mind the delay as much as 3s...still annoying though after being so used to crt.

To this day, I wonder how come ASW did not give us a 4:3 display option. Games like MvC2, and Third Strike to name a few scale (for lack of better word?) just fine but it's annoying that +R is stuck in 16:9, which isn't even GG's native aspect ratio! :(