Shinjin

[AC+R] News & Gameplay Discussion

I'm coming from back to GG from Blazblue, where I really enjoyed playing Carl a lot.

Basically, after playing Carl I tend to always want to play the "puppet character" whenever possible, but so far Eddie isn't feeling right at all to me. Execution isn't a problem (I'm willing to learn to do his negative edging shenanigans and such, no problem), but controlling him and especially doing combos seems really awkward to me.

I tried playing Zappa, and the dog summon seems to be more my style, but obviously I know I'm not always going to get to use it in matches after all.

Any advice? Should I keep trying Eddie more, or would Zappa be a better fit?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but this is about more than one character, and this board is more active. Thanks in advance, all.

Execution isn't a problem...but controlling him and especially doing combos seems really awkward to me.
That is precisely what "execution" means, so you are having problems with it. :v: That's fine; I've played this game for years and I'm pretty shitty at some things, and Eddie's one of the harder characters mechanically in a game that's already pretty complicated. If you enjoy what Eddie's up to - and I do recommend you stick with him if you're looking for a puppet character, as he's much closer to that than Zappa is - all you can really do is grind it out until it's not awkward anymore. Edited by Silmerion

Bridget has some puppet master like qualities too. I've found him to be my current goto for that. Eddie really does feel kind of weird and not really what I like about puppetmasters so I know what you mean...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I'm coming from back to GG from Blazblue, where I really enjoyed playing Carl a lot.

Basically, after playing Carl I tend to always want to play the "puppet character" whenever possible, but so far Eddie isn't feeling right at all to me. Execution isn't a problem (I'm willing to learn to do his negative edging shenanigans and such, no problem), but controlling him and especially doing combos seems really awkward to me.

I tried playing Zappa, and the dog summon seems to be more my style, but obviously I know I'm not always going to get to use it in matches after all.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but this is about more than one character, and this board is more active. Thanks in advance, all.

I think you should stick with zappa, eddie is more like arakune.

also in ACR zappa feels way stronger than eddie. I'd recommend picking him at this point. Also the sword is very good in acr. Learn the Zappa basic playstyle and you are ready to go once the acr is out.

I think you should stick with zappa, eddie is more like arakune.
Eddie: Has a summonable puppet that he can move around

Carl: Has a puppet that he can move around

Zappa: Conditionally has either a puppet, projectiles that haunt the opponent on hit, or improved attacks

Arakune: Has projectiles that eventually curse the opponent

"Eddie is more like Arakune" :psyduck:

I get where you're coming from with negative edging, floating, and disappearing underground, but Eddie definitely plays more like a puppet master than a floaty aerial projectile blob thing like Arakune. Eddie might not be the best fit but he's more like Carl than Arakune.

Edited by Silmerion

Eddie: Has a summonable puppet that he can move around

Carl: Has a puppet that he can move around

Zappa: Conditionally has either a puppet, projectiles that haunt the opponent on hit, or improved attacks

Arakune: Has projectiles that eventually curse the opponent

"Eddie is more like Arakune" :psyduck:

I get where you're coming from with negative edging, floating, and disappearing underground, but Eddie definitely plays more like a puppet master than a floaty aerial projectile blob thing like Arakune. Eddie might not be the best fit but he's more like Carl than Arakune.

Negative edging is eddies most important thing, so thats why i said he is more like arakune. both are useless without it.

edit: oh and once you get hit by eddie or arakune you lose (dunno how it is in later bb series but in the first 2 that happened).

Zappa, absolutely, the dog feels very similar, but is WAY more difficult to control than Ada. You'll require to be more careful with it and also the positioning may be more difficult.

Also, Zappa is 4 charachter in one so he's totally awesome and you can have really a great fun with him

Also, Zappa is 4 charachter in one

More like 5; naked and the 4 summons. However, Eddie works off of negative edge which is how I remember Carl works so I think that would be a much better fit than the Zappa Dog.

Zappa's dog is similar to Nirvana in that it has it's own dedicated button and you use it by holding directions and pressing said button, but Eddie does have the whole negative edging thing going on. It also seems easier to do the whole ground string with character > hit with dog back into another attack string deal with Zappa than Eddie, what with Mawaru not linking into itself on standing opponents without help from Eddie.

Though, with Zappa's dog, at least you aren't totally screwed if it gets hit and whatnot, and you don't have to deal with moving it around with the stick in favor of using it's attacks to navigate.

As for Eddie, I didn't mean he was awkward as in he was hard, but rather that just using his shadow feels really odd. I can learn to deal with using it, it's just that it's really strange following up its attacks most of the time, and it runs out of meter so much more quickly than the likes of Nirvana (though CS2 was certainly getting there >_>). -P- has so little hitstun, -K- has the whole second hit not hitting standing opponents thing to work around, -S- sends them far away and only has enough untechable time to follow up with a running jump attack or 2H (as far as I can tell), -H- takes a while to go into effect and uses the entire gauge, as well as requiring you to navigate it over to where the opponent will be, -D- uses a ton of the gauge... And, there's the fact that I hold a blind prejudice against unblockable resets (yeah, CS2 was not a good time for me...)

I've looked through the guide for him on here, of course, but he's still awkward feeling to handle. I do think that I'll try him some more, but Zappa still really interests me.

Again going to throw out that Bridget might be a fit for you. More mobility based than Carl with long range pokes, but Roger/yoyo fills a similar role to Nirvana. Even while inactive it's a threat zone, learning placement is a huge part of Bridget's game, a limited number of unblockables (mostly used as oki), and almost useless while being pressured.

Biggest downside to Bridget is he's low tier in AC and ACR, but it's GG low tier so really you just have to be good at playing and you're still fine. As I said before, I've felt more "Carl-ish" with Bridget than I did with Eddie, but I also stopped playing BB after CS1 (for pretty much the same reason as you, didn't like what I was doing with Carl) so I could be a little confused on how he plays in CSEX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIrTSCnptZA I know CV's aren't the best place to get an idea how to play a character, but it kinda shows off a little of what I'm talking about

Edited by Marisa

From Arc System Works' Facebook:

GGXXACP Update Announcement

An update for “Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus (360/PS3)” currently available on XBLA and PSN is in the works and scheduled to be

released in Spring 2013. Keep checking in for details and updates on the release.

New Additions in “+R”

Once the patch (PSN) or title update (XBLA) has been applied to your game, installing the downloadable contents will unlock the following features:

Title Screen

The game’s title screen will be updated with the “+R” version.

Help & Options

Version switching will become available in the “Game Settings”. Players will be able to choose from “ACP” or “AC+R”

Various Modes

With the addition of “+R”, each mode will become playable with “+R” settings.

Ranked Matches

Kliff and Justice will become available.

Player Matches

Kliff and Justice will be available in all sessions (rooms).

Ranking

Leaderboards will now feature a “+R” only filter. (**Rankings for the previous version of Guilty Gear will be preserved.)

Trophies and Achievements

New Trophies and Achievements will be added to the game.

Usability Improvements

Once the patch (PSN) or title update (XBLA) has been applied to your game, the following will become available:

Character Selection Screen

When transitioning to the character selection screen, the cursor will be placed on the previously selected character, with the color options open.

All Online Matches

Improvements will be made to the way our program handles the “Proximity” and “Connection Quality” settings in online games.

Ranked Matches

We will enhance our matchmaking system’s accuracy and reduce the time it takes to find a match. Also, when using the “custom search” options, the system will continue searching until a match is found. (*This operation can be cancelled).

After a match has been made, a new icon will display the players’ connection quality during the “Pre-Match” screen. Also, sound effects, vocal cues and controller vibration will notify players when a match has been found.

Player Matches

-Multiple players will be able to join a Player Match lobby.

-New options have been added to match turn rotation: “Winner Stays”, “Loser Stays” and “Random.”

-Voice chat can be used in the lobby.

-Matches can be viewed from the room when it is not the player’s turn to fight.

-Sound effects, vocal cues and controller vibration will notify players when a new player has joined the lobby.

Options

During online play, players can choose their preference of starting off on the left or right side of the screen. (*When the preference is the same, the starting locations will be randomized.)

Other Notes

Once the patch (PSN) or title update (XBLA) has been applied to your game, the following will become available:

Misc. Improvements

We will also be making various improvements and tweaks requested by users on our support forum.

【GUILTY GEAR XX ΛCORE PLUS】Product Information

http://www.guiltygearx.com/old/ggxxac/english_info.html

All Online Matches

Improvements will be made to the way our program handles the “Proximity” and “Connection Quality” settings in online games.

Doesn't really sound like much of a network improvement patch :/ We can hope though.

The lobbies are a good change though.

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

Lobbies. Did you hear that, gentlemen? Soon, we will meet each other on the battlefield where we face one another in combat. Then I will snap his spine. Err, nevermind that last part.

Give me improved netcode and I am done like dinner.