Shinjin

[AC+R] News & Gameplay Discussion

Don't put in money actually thinking gg will win.
Well, not with that attitude!

You're probably right, but I mean, you're guaranteed to be right if we don't give it a shot. I'm gonna throw in $10 at least.

It's silly that SFxT is guaranteed a spot, but GGAC+R, Skullgirls, and Melee have to compete with each other for a spot. I thought everyone boycotted SFxT?

@Osuna: There's a thread on smashboards where a few Melee players have suggested that they make a paypal or some online fund that they can all collectively donate into first, and if it looks like Melee wont win, they'll refund everyone's money. :vbang:

It's silly that SFxT is guaranteed a spot, but GGAC+R, Skullgirls, and Melee have to compete with each other for a spot.
I mean, the issue of SFxT's quality notwithstanding, the fact is that main-line Capcom games are virtually guaranteed to have a good turnout.

Any game with money on it has a good turnout. Do a 10k tournament on OMF:Battlegrounds and you will still get 64 players looking for that #1 spot.

So it's not about which games are objectively most well suited for what's supposed to be the premier national championship (the obvious ideal), or even about which one is most popular (a flawed concept), but about which fanbase has the most expendable money (DANGER: RETARDATION APPROACHING CRITICAL MASS)?

I'd be a lot more okay with the donation poll if the joke options were omitted (MLP, Divekick, etc). Yes, that includes Smash:

There's a thread on smashboards where a few Melee players have suggested that they make a paypal or some online fund that they can all collectively donate into first, and if it looks like Melee wont win, they'll refund everyone's money. :vbang:

As if any proof was ever needed that the Smash community is primarily subhuman filth. Copping out on cancer research fundraising money on the chance because your game doesn't get picked to be ran at a tournament it has no place at? Stay classy, scum.

I'm not going to EVO but I'm still going to donate in the name of GG. Gotta keep the non-casualized flag flying, since EVO themselves have little interest in doing so, and judging by preliminary poll results where Smash/MLP crush everything else, most "fighting gamers" these days aren't interested either.

As a final aside:

"SFxT will not be at EVO 2013" - Mr. Wizard

"SFxT will be at EVO 2013" - Mr. Wizard

I wonder what he's going to spend that Capcom check on. Can we re-open the discussion (obviously not here, but somewhere on DL) of saying "Fuck EVO" and creating a national that isn't corrupted by Capcom money and personal bias?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not jump on the hate train here.

So it's not about which games are objectively most well suited for what's supposed to be the premier national championship (the obvious ideal), or even about which one is most popular (a flawed concept), but about which fanbase has the most expendable money (DANGER: RETARDATION APPROACHING CRITICAL MASS)?
It looks to me like they're trying to give the FGC a fair shake at earning a spot in EVO, increasing the chance that a relatively unknown game will get mainstream coverage, while also donating to breast cancer.

I'd be a lot more okay with the donation poll if the joke options were omitted (MLP, Divekick, etc). Yes, that includes Smash:
Okay, seriously. I agree with MLP and Divekick being awful games for majors, but, like, Melee is not an easy game and has a sizeable skill cap. I've never understood all the hate for Smash.

As if any proof was ever needed that the Smash community is primarily subhuman filth. Copping out on cancer research fundraising money on the chance because your game doesn't get picked to be ran at a tournament it has no place at? Stay classy, scum.
If you actually looked at the thread on Smashboards, it looks like the motivation is to protect their game from getting horrendously outbid by some corporation while also hoping to pressure Mr. Wizard et al for more transparency on the donations. I don't necessarily disagree that it's a selfish thing to do, but increased transparency and protection from corporate interference are totally things I can get behind.

I'm not going to EVO but I'm still going to donate in the name of GG. Gotta keep the non-casualized flag flying, since EVO themselves have little interest in doing so, and judging by preliminary poll results where Smash/MLP crush everything else, most "fighting gamers" these days aren't interested either.
This is pretty baseless. Since we haven't seen any actual donation amounts, we have no idea what the "preliminary results" are. And so what if Smash wins? The community is sizable; they deserve to get their favorite game into EVO as much as anyone.

Can we re-open the discussion (obviously not here, but somewhere on DL) of saying "Fuck EVO" and creating a national that isn't corrupted by Capcom money and personal bias?
There are tons of majors with huge support for anime games and beyond. That a single one, that also happens to be very visible, prefers to allocate limited feature space and funds to games with large, stable communities, shouldn't provoke a response this severe. Edited by Silmerion

^ I'm not a mod and all, and while I do want to join the topic of discussion, this is horribly off-topic.

The fact of the matter is that nothing but full transparency (at least at the level of the running state of the contest) suffices for us to assume good faith. It's perfectly legit to say "No refunds, this is for breast cancer and you're donating from the getgo." It's actually kind of skeezy to say "Here's a contest to see who donates the most, we'll tell you who wins in January." It would both be more hype and more fair to publish a counter of donations by game, so people could see who's ahead at any given time. There's currently no reason to believe they'll even necessarily go by who donates the most (Since no one could hold them accountable), and gives no one an idea of what kind of money is going to make a difference.

Edited by Digital Watches

There's currently no reason to believe they'll even necessarily go by who donates the most (Since no one could hold them accountable), and gives no one an idea of what kind of money is going to make a difference.

those guys are a bunch of moronic criminals anyway, lets not lower ourselves by wasting thoughts on that cesspool of a community.

those guys are a bunch of moronic criminals anyway, lets not lower ourselves by wasting thoughts on that cesspool of a community.
Moronic criminals or not, as long as EVO is popular and visible in the public eye, they're worth wasting thoughts on. It's our job as concerned members of the FGC to do everything we can to keep them honest.

I don't even watch Evolution, because they don't have any cool games. :D

(Most of the time. When they do, I watch)

The only game I like at Evolution this year is KoF 13.

Edited by vOddy

It's silly that SFxT is guaranteed a spot, but GGAC+R, Skullgirls, and Melee have to compete with each other for a spot. I thought everyone boycotted SFxT?

@Osuna: There's a thread on smashboards where a few Melee players have suggested that they make a paypal or some online fund that they can all collectively donate into first, and if it looks like Melee wont win, they'll refund everyone's money. :vbang:

That sounds like a massive scam, also what do they have against breast cancer research? Seems super scummy to me.

I don't even watch Evolution, because they don't have any cool games. :D

(Most of the time. When they do, I watch)

The only game I like at Evolution this year is KoF 13.

Hopefully you saw last year's kof13 top 8. Super good.

As far as GG goes I probably won't donate because it doesn't really have a shot. I agree with much more transparency being needed with where each game is at though.

while i agree that gg likely has zero chance of even coming close to winning, maybe we should put the link to the donation page on the home page?

i imagine that'll raise a bit more monies.

It's not like the Melee community is responding well to the idea, but some people have put it out there. I heard about it from people that were complaining about those people. I'm sure that as a whole, the Smash community isn't against breast cancer research. It's more that a lot of the players in the community are in it for the money, so spending money on a failed attempt to get Smash to Evo to try to win money is a waste for them. It's a shitty mentality, but they're not bad people. Although some of them use "rape" as a synonym for awesome... *sigh*

And I do agree that the Evo staff should publish the donation numbers. I get the feeling they're doing this to try and get people to donate more to charity, by preventing thoughts along the lines of "this game is winning by so much anyway that I shouldn't waste money supporting the game I want". It's a decent way to raise money for breast cancer, but not the best way for them to pick the last game for their tournament lineup. If I'm right about them approaching the donation fund from that angle, perhaps they should publish the numbers weekly or every 3 days or something (I'd push for daily if not constantly, assuming it's not a hassle to do). We get accountability, and anticipation tends to have a hype building effect that might be beneficial here.

You know, while I'd consider Melee a bad game because of some silly mechanics, I find it extremely fun, and still a better game than SFxT. I've heard that recently, the turnout for P4A has been really bad (like 4 people showing up to a regional bad), so I feel like Melee deserves a spot as least as much as P4A, even if I think other games deserve a spot more.

Now that I'm thinking about it... in this economy, it sort of sucks that they'd get players to spend money to get their favorite game to Evo, when they'd have to save money to be able to afford the trip to Evo to play it there. Maybe they should be donating any venue fee revenue that's not gobbled up by the overhead costs instead of doing this? "Your game gets picked if enough people sign up to play it, and we donate part of the venue fee!" Seems like less of a risk of having an event that few people enter, since people that are actually planning on going would be the ones putting in the money. Also, with this setup, a majority of the entrants could just be in it for the prize money and not even belong to the community that funded getting the game to Evo in the first place. They could just be there, and happen to have enough money to enter another event that has few sign-ups, especially if it means a shot at a big prize. That would be pretty bad for an event like that wouldn't it? I don't know what's worse: "Smash community split: Brawl makes it to Evo despite huge Melee support - only 30 entrants actually show up", or "Justin Wong wins MLP at Evo even though it was his first time playing and he was competing against the development team."

It would both be more hype and more fair to publish a counter of donations by game, so people could see who's ahead at any given time.
I don't know about your country, but in mine this means initiating a price agreement which is illegal by law. It's better than that: if one of the companies or organisations would mention their prices/donations, they would initiate a pricing agreement. So while having this transparency would be good, it is probably illegal.

Maybe instead of donating to charity they could have just had people pre-register for tournaments to see which would get bigger numbers.

Having them pay could potentially have them a little bit invested in actually going to evo. Or just more pot money for the actual tournament...

I've heard that recently, the turnout for P4A has been really bad (like 4 people showing up to a regional bad)

Dunno man, the numbers on many regionals have been pretty consistent, surpasing games like KOFXIII, SCV, DOA5, SFxT, etc

At NEC it got 100+ entrants

Hopefully you saw last year's kof13 top 8. Super good.

As far as GG goes I probably won't donate because it doesn't really have a shot. I agree with much more transparency being needed with where each game is at though.

And if more people is like you, is obvious the game wouldn't have a shot.

There is nothing worse than not trying

I don't care if it doesn't have a shot to get the spot, i will still support my game by donating

Don't put in money actually thinking gg will win. There are at least 4-5 more popular games

Who fucking cares, i will support GG, i give a shit if meele is more popular (BTW fuck smash) i will support the game i like, whatever the odds

Edited by Hecatom

It's a shitty mentality, but they're not bad people. Although some of them use "rape" as a synonym for awesome... *sigh*

That would be my roommate. I have this roommate. He's an Ex-Varsity Wrestler. Big, loud, guy. He's the kind that is almost constantly with friends, and if he's not, he's bugging one of my other roommates, quite loudly, to hang out with him. They like watching sports, making a mess of the kitchen, working out, getting drunk, or playing Call of Duty. He's Brodude.

Bizarrely enough, he has a Wii. He's not the kind you would guess so, but he does. And he loves playing Super Smash Bros Brawl, a lot. A LOT. And he's fairly loud when he plays it: "OH I JUST RAPED YOU! HOW YOU LIKE THAT?! F*&@*$( YOU NI*)(*&*)( FOR KILLING ME" and so on.

I can't play with him because he manages to ruin the game. It's not fun playing with someone who is constantly shouting in your ear and insulting other players.

Now, the Game Club that my University has, they're great! They love Super Smash Bros, and even had a tournament. They're fun to play! They nice, calm, and very sociable. And strangely enough, he anyone here was to go out to a tourney, it would be the nice game club group.

^ I'm not a mod and all, and while I do want to join the topic of discussion, this is horribly off-topic.

I agree. The last 3 pages of this thread belong to a different one.

in an effort to get this thing back on topic: how much life to chars have in ACR? iirc it was increased from the vanilla value of 420.

Pretty clever way of responding to criticisms that characters all did too much damage in AC. Instead of trying to tweak and rebalance everyone simultaneously, just roundly buff health!

Where did the 460 value come from? Not doubting you, just curious

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk