Shinjin

[AC+R] News & Gameplay Discussion

Why exactly is Chipp so high up on the tier lists for +R?  For being one of the strongest characters in the game, I hardly ever see footage of people using him.

For that matter, why are Kliff, I-No, and Sol so low?  It was my understanding that those characters were all considered very strong at one point.  Heck, Kliff was usually A tier or higher before the patch.

Why exactly is Chipp so high up on the tier lists for +R?  For being one of the strongest characters in the game, I hardly ever see footage of people using him.

For that matter, why are Kliff, I-No, and Sol so low?  It was my understanding that those characters were all considered very strong at one point.  Heck, Kliff was usually A tier or higher before the patch.

Chipp has literally every tool a fighting game character could have; except defense. He's much like 3S Akuma: very strong but needs to be played at the absolute highest level for results. He's just a lot of work to play well so not many players play him to the point to do really well in tournaments.

As for the others;

• Kliff does one thing. He does it VERY well, but as long as you can play around and counter that one thing, you can beat him.
  • Sol didn't change much from AC, and is pretty basic overall. His biggest change was Special Fafnir instead of FB Fafnir, which doesn't give him much.
  • I-No's always had weaknesses, but this was the first game where she wasn't outright bad. She still has her issues of her double-edged sword (her dash) and her reliance on meter and execution.

Venom is worse than Justice, Anji is def an A. Pot...not too sure, but he's always going to have a couple of pretty bad matchups here and there.

I'd say Kiisha's list has credibility to it, especially considering who he is and what he's accomplished in AC+R....

I need an explanation on the Venom issues, if you would be so kind. I seem to be living under a rock because I thought he was really strong in AC and only got better in AC+R with the addition of his new moves. I absolutely cannot imagine him being worse than Justice, so either I'm spoiled by Fiino/HEVEN making him look strong or I haven't seen anyone actually play Justice properly.

Pretty much what Amadeous said, on top of that a lot of problematic matchups for Chipp had their damage and/or stun buildup nerfed. This really improved his matchup chart overall, for example Jam vs Chipp was a particularly stupid matchup in AC, now Chipp can allow himself to get hit once without it being simply over.

I need an explanation on the Venom issues, if you would be so kind. I seem to be living under a rock because I thought he was really strong in AC and only got better in AC+R with the addition of his new moves. I absolutely cannot imagine him being worse than Justice, so either I'm spoiled by Fiino/HEVEN making him look strong or I haven't seen anyone actually play Justice properly.

Venom was really strong in AC. He did not get better in AC+R. In a nutshell:

His 6P reverting back to it's old version (as well as the gatlings that came from it) is a big nerf for his anti-air and rewards off of it. His 6hs no longer groundbouncing also plays a part both in reducing his damage in a lot of situations, as well as the reward that came with it (extra balls and more time for setups). Overall, his damage and neutral are nerfed, and his buffs just play to his strengths rather than compensating for anything.

[*]Sol didn't change much from AC, and is pretty basic overall. His biggest change was Special Fafnir instead of FB Fafnir, which doesn't give him much.

Sol gets in poking battles with Ky and Johnny now, and that meterless confirm is a much bigger deal than you're giving it credit for.

I find the latest tier list to be pretty agreeable, but this game is hard to call below low S/high A tier. Likewise, I would remain open to characters changing positions as time goes on. Remember that AC Millia was once considered C tier (lol) and that neither AC Zappa or Venom were given due credit.

Pretty much the only generally accepted feelings I've heard on that tier list is that Testament and Potemkin are stronger than they appear on that tier list. That tier list is from the last ArcRevo and a LOT of tech was found for both of them since then so it makes a lot of sense.

Chipp has literally every tool a fighting game character could have; except defense. He's much like 3S Akuma: very strong but needs to be played at the absolute highest level for results. He's just a lot of work to play well so not many players play him to the point to do really well in tournaments.

As for the others;

• Kliff does one thing. He does it VERY well, but as long as you can play around and counter that one thing, you can beat him.
  • Sol didn't change much from AC, and is pretty basic overall. His biggest change was Special Fafnir instead of FB Fafnir, which doesn't give him much.
  • I-No's always had weaknesses, but this was the first game where she wasn't outright bad. She still has her issues of her double-edged sword (her dash) and her reliance on meter and execution.

Ino was God tier in XX and A tier in Slash....

She hasn't been meter reliant since she got dive loops in AC.

The other stuff sounds about right.

I'm not sure what you mean. What is Kliff's one thing?

Pretty much the only generally accepted feelings I've heard on that tier list is that Testament and Potemkin are stronger than they appear on that tier list. That tier list is from the last ArcRevo and a LOT of tech was found for both of them since then so it makes a lot of sense.

This is true of a lot of characters.  A lot of people went nuts because of damage nerfs, but that doesn't mean characters weren't viable any more.....

Most characters are both stronger and more fleshed out than their AC counterparts, if you ask me.

Yup. Tiers are relative, so we could have a game where no one got nerfed and they still got worse because other characters are better. For the most part, +R characters gained more options, which makes for a more fun game.

I'm not sure what you mean. What is Kliff's one thing?

Abare and fuzzies. If Kliff touches you he can make it HURT, especially if he has corner + meter. 70% damage combos are not unreasonable in those situations. In addition, he can use his jumping normals to play a spacing/fuzzy guard game and really be a threat to characters that can't deal with it.

However, his speed is very slow, he's very floaty, has no reliable reversals, gets stunned very easily, and while his normals are HUGE they're also very slow. Properly fighting Kliff involves a lot of whiff punishing and playing a solid ground game against his jumps. Kliff only needs one chance to win a round, but most characters can kill him before he even gets that.

Summed up: his damage is insane, mixup predictable but scary (due to his reward off of it), neutral game is terrible.

Abare and fuzzies. If Kliff touches you he can make it HURT, especially if he has corner + meter. 70% damage combos are not unreasonable in those situations. In addition, he can use his jumping normals to play a spacing/fuzzy guard game and really be a threat to characters that can't deal with it.

However, his speed is very slow, he's very floaty, has no reliable reversals, gets stunned very easily, and while his normals are HUGE they're also very slow. Properly fighting Kliff involves a lot of whiff punishing and playing a solid ground game against his jumps. Kliff only needs one chance to win a round, but most characters can kill him before he even gets that.

Summed up: his damage is insane, mixup predictable but scary (due to his reward off of it), neutral game is terrible.

Thank you, that's quite helpful.

Is there a specific code or something to unlock the alternate version of the Grave and Heaven stages (Kliff and Justice respective stage)? I've heard that you're supposed to complete Kliff and Justice's story paths to unlock them but so far nothing happened after I completed both. On the character select screen it shows the AC versions of the stages but I only have the Slash versions.

Sorry if this sounds a bit silly, but this has been bugging me for a bit ever since I picked the game back up after a short break.

The AC versions of Hell and Grave are missing for some mystical reason in console AC+R.

Where the hell is the r patch on the xbox marketplace? It disappeared what the fuck.

Its still there, if you mean the "DLC Catalog" of the update. (Version UP #1) (Or do you mean the patch before starting up the game? I would guess you mean the Catalog.)

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Version-Up-CATALOG-1/480de28a-f434-4845-9c02-dd8c0188d908

I meant the catalog, whatever the hell that is (I guess it's the R patch), I couldn't find it anywhere on the console marketplace, what the heck? The game had no add-ons available or whatever on my friend's 360, is this a thing? Can the patch only be downloaded with a computer or what?

I meant the catalog, whatever the hell that is (I guess it's the R patch), I couldn't find it anywhere on the console marketplace, what the heck? The game had no add-ons available or whatever on my friend's 360, is this a thing? Can the patch only be downloaded with a computer or what?

You can log on Xbox website from your computer, go to GGXXAC+ page, download the CATALOG 1 patch, then when you turn on your Xbox, it should bring up a prompt about the download. If it does not bring up a prompt, Go to you download history and it will be there so you can start the download

(Not sure about the prompt thing but I know for certain it appears in your download history when you log on from the Xbox again)

The update patch as well as all the other add-ons for the game (character picture packs and whatnot) were still available via the Xbox Live marketplace when I checked earlier.  Are you sure your friend was logged in?  The XBLA marketplace won't show up if you're not logged into your account and connected to the internet (obviously).

Is this game still alive? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I just got my stick and I'm trying to get more fighters to practice with. I want to get into GG so this seems like a good start.

You'll have to check your local scene (don't know Texas too well for GG), but there are thriving scenes all over the US for AC+R right now.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. San Antonio's got a half-decent scene going though. Speaking of that, do people still play netplay? It's not optimal but any practice would be good.

Speaking of that, do people still play netplay? It's not optimal but any practice would be good.

Yes and no.  I haven't encountered any random players online on the 360 version in months, but roughly a quarter of the people on my friends list are always up for a game if I ask them.  There's definitely some good competition to be had on both platforms, you'll just probably have to set something up in advance.  Maybe try joining the GG Skype chat?

Is it even worth it trying to play online if I'm in Hawaii?

The randoms I had were atrocious. The one guy I play with irl who lives one mile away - it was at least playable but still only 3 bars and random slowdowns here and there.