Shinjin

[AC+R] News & Gameplay Discussion

About the knockdown issue, you're all wrong! You should go for knockdowns if you want them, not as a rule. Remember that knockdowns still work both ways: you get the easy setup, he gets thinking time. Resets deny thinking time pretty hard which makes the opponent prone to doing stupid shit that he otherwise wouldn't (1337 tactics here!).

As for ODing in combos, there's very few that are useful like that, afaik Baiken's OD is completely useless as far as damage is concered, while Slayer's DoT is pretty nice.

Can someone answer this question I've had for some time. I understand how jump installing works, but sometimes I see chars like Order Sol doing a standing S then super jumping with a jump install stored. What annotation is he doing to get the jump install to work, since normally wouldn't you just jump after a standing S when trying to perform a jump install?

Is he pressing 8 then 28 really fast during the S? Since I don't have the game anymore I can't test this out.

About the knockdown issue, you're all wrong! You should go for knockdowns if you want them, not as a rule. Remember that knockdowns still work both ways: you get the easy setup, he gets thinking time. Resets deny thinking time pretty hard which makes the opponent prone to doing stupid shit that he otherwise wouldn't (1337 tactics here!).

I can't tell if you're joking here, but good god, resets are terrible in GG. It's been a while since I played a lot of GG, but I can't think of a single character in high-level play that would use a reset over a knockdown. Mostly, this is due to okizime being so strong in GG, but there are also other reasons, such as good air recovery options, high damage scaling after throws, and the difficulty of crossing up the opponent.

IIRC only kinda decent reset in GG would be an air throw right after an air recovery.

And well, that's not very practical most of the times.

Can someone answer this question I've had for some time. I understand how jump installing works, but sometimes I see chars like Order Sol doing a standing S then super jumping with a jump install stored. What annotation is he doing to get the jump install to work, since normally wouldn't you just jump after a standing S when trying to perform a jump install?

Is he pressing 8 then 28 really fast during the S? Since I don't have the game anymore I can't test this out.

Well, 829, 729 or 929 yeah. using 5H does more damage and is easier to executre, but it is less reliable.

I can't tell if you're joking here, but good god, resets are terrible in GG. It's been a while since I played a lot of GG, but I can't think of a single character in high-level play that would use a reset over a knockdown. Mostly, this is due to okizime being so strong in GG, but there are also other reasons, such as good air recovery options, high damage scaling after throws, and the difficulty of crossing up the opponent.

No I'm not, resets are not terrible and you apparently don't watch a lot of high level play; because if you were watching you would see players on the defensive take knockdowns over resets(they don't tech). I'm not saying knockdowns are bad, I'm saying they aren't mandatory.

As for your good air recovery options, lets review them: neutral tech attack, neutral tech guard, backward tech attack, backward tech guard, really far backward tech attack and really far backward tech guard; now if you are in the corner, which one will suit you best? If I expect you to attack I can anti air you with a level 4 and essentially kill you right there and if I anticipate the throw I can half the life you had remaining in the first place.

Then there's ground resets, which people seem to have so little practice against, because if you were right, 5K-S BHB 5K-D would not be able to hit. As a matter of fact, N.O stuffed it quite reliably while eating 2K->GBs quite often. Again, knockdowns are not mandatory, what is mandatory however is that you can gain and keep momentum if you have a rusher and stop your opponent's momentum if you are a zoner, knockdowns CAN contribute to that effect, but so can resets.

And as for crossing up the opponent, in the worst case you should consider only one essential mixup: attack or guard, because if your opponent has a dragonpunch, that is going to be your effective game.

The first example is actually an argument agains you. The offensive player could have done a longer combo into knockdown, but instead opted to cut the combo short to go for the reset, but the player being comboed can see it coming, and just not press anything. Of course it's more advantageous to get an opportunity to block than to sign up for damage. So assuming your opponent can see the setup coming, which isn't too hard, you just gave up the damage you could have had by finishing the combo. That said, if you can count on your opponent to mash every time he gets in a combo, throw resets are great.

Why on earth would I interrupt my combos for a reset? You do the full combo followed by the reset, he has 3 choices, tech attack, tech guard or don't tech. If he doesn't tech I can extend the combo till he finally drops, if he tech attacks he's setting himself up for a counter hit and if he tech guards he sets himself up for a throw and that mixup is immediate.

>People discussing AMERICAN COMBOZ

Resets are garbage compared to KD simply because you are giving up something guaranteed (damage, knockdown) in exchange for a CHANCE of something--a gimmick, which is what all resets are. A good player will tech and FD, making your reset a waste and pushing them out, thus resetting the game to neutral, while they can beat a "ground reset" (lol) by simply, uh... Blocking. For throws, stopping your pressure to run in and throw is legit. Stopping your combo, which if continued would have given you damage and KD, to run in and throw is a huge gamble.

"But what if I reset into air throw!"

Neutral tech usually beats this since they fast fall. If you predict they're going to neutral tech and position yourself to throw them if they do, they can forward/back tech. Delaying tech period beats all airthrow resets anyways and if your reset involves hitting them after they can tech your reset can still be beaten easily by smart teching (teching just before the next attack hits you so it will whiff due to the white circle of invincibility you recieve upon teching).

"But what if the ground combo I started wasn't going to get damage/KD/something else anyways!"

Then you should be using optimal combos instead of shitty ones.

If resets are working on your opponent, one of the following is true:

1. They're new/still learning the game

2. They're bad

3. It's a "so bad it's good" situation (see: Kusoru doing 2D > RC > 2D > RC > Wild Throw to beat SteveH at FRVX grand finals). This doesn't mean the player on the receiving end is bad, but rather that at the level of play they're on, they expect their opponent to play solid and not use stupid gimmicks, thus making them susceptible to them. But that certainly doesn't mean that tactic is legit, even at high level since the risk you're imposing on yourself is ENORMOUS. Guess what would have happened if SteveH had read that Wild Throw? Kusoru would have wasted 100% tension for nothing, in addition to the Wild Throw attempt possibly being punished. Another example of massive risks not working out would be the match between JWong and Gamerbee at EVO a few years back, where he random Ultra 2'd twice with Rufus. Both attempts failed, resulting in him being beat the fuck up AND throwing away his Ultra TWICE.

The usefulness of resets in other games are debatable. They are not good in GG. This isn't Marvel.

Edited by Skeletal Minion

No I'm not, resets are not terrible and you apparently don't watch a lot of high level play; because if you were watching you would see players on the defensive take knockdowns over resets(they don't tech).

Well, good luck with that, friend. Obviously nobody is going to change your mind.

>People discussing AMERICAN COMBOZ

Resets are garbage compared to KD simply because you are giving up something guaranteed (damage, knockdown) in exchange for a CHANCE of something--a gimmick, which is what all resets are. A good player will tech and FD, making your reset a waste and pushing them out, thus resetting the game to neutral, while they can beat a "ground reset" (lol) by simply, uh... Blocking. For throws, stopping your pressure to run in and throw is legit. Stopping your combo, which if continued would have given you damage and KD, to run in and throw is a huge gamble.

"But what if I reset into air throw!"

Neutral tech usually beats this since they fast fall. If you predict they're going to neutral tech and position yourself to throw them if they do, they can forward/back tech. Delaying tech period beats all airthrow resets anyways and if your reset involves hitting them after they can tech your reset can still be beaten easily by smart teching (teching just before the next attack hits you so it will whiff due to the white circle of invincibility you recieve upon teching).

"But what if the ground combo I started wasn't going to get damage/KD/something else anyways!"

Then you should be using optimal combos instead of shitty ones.

If resets are working on your opponent, one of the following is true:

1. They're new/still learning the game

2. They're bad

3. It's a "so bad it's good" situation (see: Kusoru doing 2D > RC > 2D > RC > Wild Throw to beat SteveH at FRVX grand finals). This doesn't mean the player on the receiving end is bad, but rather that at the level of play they're on, they expect their opponent to play solid and not use stupid gimmicks, thus making them susceptible to them. But that certainly doesn't mean that tactic is legit, even at high level since the risk you're imposing on yourself is ENORMOUS. Guess what would have happened if SteveH had read that Wild Throw? Kusoru would have wasted 100% tension for nothing, in addition to the Wild Throw attempt possibly being punished. Another example of massive risks not working out would be the match between JWong and Gamerbee at EVO a few years back, where he random Ultra 2'd twice with Rufus. Both attempts failed, resulting in him being beat the fuck up AND throwing away his Ultra TWICE.

The usefulness of resets in other games are debatable. They are not good in GG. This isn't Marvel.

Excellent read.

By resetting someone you're basically giving them an opportunity to escape further damage or an okizeme setup while potentially gaining more damage IF your opponent reacts to it as you think he will. Basically you're submitting yourself to another mix up game while you could get a guaranteed okizeme setup and/or guaranteed additionnal damage. I wouldn't call resets a superior option. It's more like gambling, and a risky kind of gambling in many cases.

They sure are nice tricks to have in your sleeve and use once in a while, but once a good opponent falls for it there is a good chance he won't fall for it a second time.

So..uhh...is my practice mode set right or not?

Lots of opposing messages right now. I'll have to wait a bit and digest all that.

Your practice mode settings are fine, star demon. We're just yelling at reaver. Nothing really opposing. Even if he was right, you would still want the opponent to tech out on first frame so you could go tech throw or whatever.

Small question, do XBLA store updates occur at a consistent time every week, and if so around what time?

Just curious because psn store is random with theirs and I wanna know when I can start playing the hell out of this on 360.

Theory fighter stuff

A good player will tech and FD -> So he will get his ass thrown by default. And yeah, they can beat a ground reset by blocking, that's why you use MIXUPS. Besides, you just called the better end of American players a bunch of dumbasses because they kept eating the mixup that came after the reset(well actually, it was just 5D..).

Now going to knockdown can be perfectly viable, but you're giving your opponent the time to respond. He has a full second to think and input moves. That means that while you could have that nice mixup after knockdown, he gets that nice mixup on wakeup where he's able to pick between uppercut, guard, flee and attack; and your only hope really is that he's not doing the uppercut as you're using your meaties on him. Yes, you do have safejumps, but your opponent has faultless guard blocking almost any form of followup mixup.

By resetting someone you're basically giving them an opportunity to escape further damage or an okizeme setup while potentially gaining more damage IF your opponent reacts to it as you think he will. Basically you're submitting yourself to another mix up game while you could get a guaranteed okizeme setup and/or guaranteed additionnal damage. I wouldn't call resets a superior option. It's more like gambling, and a risky kind of gambling in many cases.

They sure are nice tricks to have in your sleeve and use once in a while, but once a good opponent falls for it there is a good chance he won't fall for it a second time.

Like I said above, you will always face some kind of mixup, if it isn't dragonpunches, there's always supers and 1f-backdashes. And I'm not saying that one is superior to the other, I'm saying there's a choice to be made between which one you want and you shouldn't go for either option blindly because 'it's a rule' or because 'it's theoretically optimal'. Furthermore, Inoue gets a lot of resets (airthrows), even against good opponents. Heck, I can even hit them against N.O; it really is a state of mind thing.

Star-Demon: practice mode settings would be having the opponent as soon as possible with backward tech, this is the most common tech in real games as well. Once you get to the custom stuff, you can consider people neutral teching, forward teching or delay teching.

These discussions are great!!

GG is kind of like a game where you can do WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT. If you want to reset your combo, go for it. If you feelin for a KD, GO FOR IT. Sometimes I will go for a reset just to keep the speed of the game moving. The scenarios and variables that could be factored into whether you should or shouldn't do either one are too numerous to account for. For example, YOU CAN'T DO EITHER OF THEM IF OPPONENT BURST ON YOU. Here's what I can say, don't KD OR try to reset a Johnny player that has 50%+ Tension.

Edited by phantomBlade

Now going to knockdown can be perfectly viable, but you're giving your opponent the time to respond. He has a full second to think and input moves. That means that while you could have that nice mixup after knockdown, he gets that nice mixup on wakeup where he's able to pick between uppercut, guard, flee and attack; and your only hope really is that he's not doing the uppercut as you're using your meaties on him. Yes, you do have safejumps, but your opponent has faultless guard blocking almost any form of followup mixup.

post-29037-139515172073_thumb.jpg

Oh boy...listen, Some characters in GG have great resets and are actually very useful ala Zappa (ghosts/dog) and I-no. Zappa is self explanatory if you have ever seen high level Zappa play and I-no frequently goes for midscreen resets for better corner positioning/combo opportunity as well as corner resets by hitting a downed opponent by OTG before note oki which is a reset setup which still nets oki and puts the opponent into a blocking situation in the air, which forces them to burn tension. Win-Win. I-no players often know and are aware of how close to dizzy a character is and 1 air throw reset often leads to a dizzy situation. Therefore you often see opponents which are put into a reset situation where they are baited to tech, but choose (wisely) not to and eat the knockdown instead and take their chances blocking the resulting oki because her midscreen and corner reset potential is so high.

Not to mention her air throw has a great trajectory, wall bounces, is high damage (60), has great resulting combo damage, sets up oki and and she and May share the 2nd best air grab range in the game. While throws are techable in GG it is a two frame tech window and not a smart idea to take your chances trying to break a grab on reaction when a characters like I-no/Anji/Dizzy have such strong ground/air grab games.

Reaver : I'm not saying that resets are totally useless either. Just that in most cases their use is much more limited and riskier than regular okizeme for most characters. Of course some characters have nice reset setups that are pretty solid. I now that myself as an Anji player. For example I regularly hunt for some when I use jH as a finisher because the move doesn't knock down in most cases anyway so I'm sure to get either a knockdown or an air throw depending on what the opponent does. Or on some chars, I can finish combos with an OTG shitsu and have it hit meaty if they don't tech or On grab when they'll get caught on it after teching. HOS sure doesn't mind attempting air throw resets once in a while because most of his combos don't end in a knock down anyway.

But the bottom line is, if you can get a knockdown or don't have a foolproof reset setup the risk/reward for attempting resets isn't in your favor. And that's like most of the situations in this game unless you only talking about a few specific characters. That doesn't mean that you can't sometimes try to break the odds and use one to surprise your opponent or try to gain whatever advantage in the fight. But it's a higher risk option in most cases.

As you said okizemes aren't 100% foolproof either but the way okizemes are made in this game (generally with a projectile or something to serve as meaty while your character can act in the meantime) makes it so that if the person doing the okizeme knows what he is doing, he is left with many options to counter the interrupt attemps that the opponent might do. This makes interrupts against okizemes in general way more risky in GG than they can be in other games. If GG okis were all about meaty normals then yes I'd share your perception about the risk posed by DPs, backdash and supers, but in the present situation okizemes are almost always heavily in the attackers favor in terms of risk.

Edited by Dream Maker

Small question, do XBLA store updates occur at a consistent time every week, and if so around what time? Just curious because psn store is random with theirs and I wanna know when I can start playing the hell out of this on 360.

Usually around 6AM CST judging from the handful of times I've been up for an XBLA title on "launch." Of course, the last time that happened was two years back, so it might be different now.

A good player will tech and FD -> So he will get his ass thrown by default. And yeah, they can beat a ground reset by blocking, that's why you use MIXUPS. Besides, you just called the better end of American players a bunch of dumbasses because they kept eating the mixup that came after the reset(well actually, it was just 5D..).

Like I said above, you will always face some kind of mixup, if it isn't dragonpunches, there's always supers and 1f-backdashes. And I'm not saying that one is superior to the other, I'm saying there's a choice to be made between which one you want and you shouldn't go for either option blindly because 'it's a rule' or because 'it's theoretically optimal'. Furthermore, Inoue gets a lot of resets (airthrows), even against good opponents. Heck, I can even hit them against N.O; it really is a state of mind thing.

Star-Demon: practice mode settings would be having the opponent as soon as possible with backward tech, this is the most common tech in real games as well. Once you get to the custom stuff, you can consider people neutral teching, forward teching or delay teching.

1. "American Combos" was not meant to be taken seriously. It's an old joke term for resets that's been used amongst the FGC for a long time.

2. Just to clarify: when you say "ground resets," are you talking about landing a few hits of a ground combo, then stopping it so you can apply "MIXUPS"? Because if you are, I think we can stop debating right now, since that would literally be saying "Why bother to convert after landing a hit, when you can decide to not convert so you can try to land another hit?" with different wording, and that is just too retarded to respond to.

3. "But he has time to think on KD!" Yeah, he does. However, what you don't realize is why that's irrelevant when concerning the superiority of KD, and that's because KDs FORCE your opponent to attempt a read. They might 1f jump, they might DP, they might 1f backdash, they might just block, etc, all that is true--but it's true because you are forcing them to make that guess. Before they pick any of those options, there's something that occurs 100% of the time: their character will, after a short period, stand up. They can't choose when to stand up (with the exception of Robo Ky) and it is inevitable, meaning that whenever they do get up (including Robo Ky if he delays it), they MUST attempt to predict you. Besides, that extra time they have to think isn't limited to them--it helps you out as well since it's not only more time to think about how you're going to mix them up, but also additional time to set that up, e.g., Johnny using Bacchus Sigh once they're knocked down or Millia throwing out a disc. This is another great benefit of going for KD > Mixup instead of resetting: your oki options in general are going to vastly outnumber your reset choices. If I knock someone down with Moroha A.B.A., my options are as follows:

- 2K (low)

- Throw (beats blocking)

- Kashitsu (staggers on block!)

- FB Bloodball (forces block into high/low)

- safe jump j.S > fuzzy guard (beats DPs, goes into unreactable high/low)

- jump in > Orbs just before landing (beats throw attempts)

- Danzai/FB Danzai (beats everything that isn't blocking or super)

- Properly timed 2H (beats throw attempts, cranks up guard gauge, begins pressure to increase gauge further)

- 5D (overhead)

- Far range sweep (beats some reversals)

- Goku Moroha (staggers/wallbounces on hit, super invincible, huge frane advantage on block... If you're feeling extra ballsy)

Now look at options upon resetting:

- Throw (beats immediate teching with proper positioning)

- Hit (deals already-prorated black beat hits to extend the previous combo, or starts a new one if landed after they tech)

- Uh... Delayed throw or hit?

There is no high/low mixup if you're both in the air. Instead of having a multitude of options to choose from, you effectively have two. Either you throw them or you hit them. What's more, you aren't forcing them to take a chance on reading you. What I mean by that is: it is entirely possible for them to just be mashing on tech and picking a direction (left, right, neutral) at random. You might have a "good" reset all planned out, the perfect trap like some madly laughing James Bond supervillain, only to completely whiff and look like an idiot because they happened to tech forward that time instead of neutral teching. With KDs, this does not happen. If he VVs, it's because he consciously input VV. If he backdashes, he choose to press 44. If he blocks, it's because he chose to block.

If he escapes your mixup, it's because he correctly predicted the situation, at least to some extent. With resets, it's entirely possible he got out due to sheer luck.

Oh boy...listen, Some characters in GG have great resets and are actually very useful ala Zappa (ghosts/dog) and I-no. Zappa is self explanatory if you have ever seen high level Zappa play and I-no frequently goes for midscreen resets for better corner positioning/combo opportunity as well as corner resets by hitting a downed opponent by OTG before note oki which is a reset setup which still nets oki and puts the opponent into a blocking situation in the air, which forces them to burn tension. Win-Win. I-no players often know and are aware of how close to dizzy a character is and 1 air throw reset often leads to a dizzy situation. Therefore you often see opponents which are put into a reset situation where they are baited to tech, but choose (wisely) not to and eat the knockdown instead and take their chances blocking the resulting oki because her midscreen and corner reset potential is so high.

Not to mention her air throw has a great trajectory, wall bounces, is high damage (60), has great resulting combo damage, sets up oki and and she and May share the 2nd best air grab range in the game. While throws are techable in GG it is a two frame tech window and not a smart idea to take your chances trying to break a grab on reaction when a characters like I-no/Anji/Dizzy have such strong ground/air grab games.

I-no is the sole exception as she's a strong aerial character with a weak ground game. The other characters you mentioned have good air throws, but that doesn't mean going for resets with them is worth giving up your oki. Take Anji for example: is a reset worth giving up butterfly oki or better yet, FB butterfly unblockable? That's not mentioning characters who get nothing off their air throw aside from a throw's worth of damage. If going for resets is only passable for one character, that doesn't make them a good general idea, but a character specific option which only looks good in contrast to the mediocrity of her other choices. If I-no's ground/oki game was better in AC, resetting would probably still be outweighed by going for the KD. Now that she is much improved in ACR, I'm willing to predict less I-nos are going to be resorting to air resets.

Edited by Skeletal Minion

Challenge accepted

1. "American Combos" was not meant to be taken seriously. It's an old joke term for resets that's been used amongst the FGC for a long time.

I did not respond to that. I was in USA to participate at FF4 and I'm telling you right here what I did there; and I'm telling you that you're essentially branding almost all of my opposition as newbies.

2. Just to clarify: when you say "ground resets," are you talking about landing a few hits of a ground combo, then stopping it so you can apply "MIXUPS"? Because if you are, I think we can stop debating right now, since that would literally be saying "Why bother to convert after landing a hit, when you can decide to not convert so you can try to land another hit?" with different wording, and that is just too retarded to respond to.

Right, because that 2K started combo HAS TO GO INTO KNOCKDOWN...

3. "But he has time to think on KD!" Yeah, he does. However, what you don't realize is why that's irrelevant when concerning the superiority of KD, and that's because KDs FORCE your opponent to attempt a read.

And there you have my point, they are attempting a read BECAUSE THEY CAN, WITH RESETS THEY CANNOT; sorry, let me correct that, THEY CANNOT IF YOU DON'T TELEGRAPH YOUR SHIT.

They might 1f jump, they might DP, they might 1f backdash, they might just block, etc, all that is true--but it's true because you are forcing them to make that guess.

No, at that point I'm not forcing anything, they chose to do those options and I have no way of discerning which one they are chosing because their inputs are in no way revealed.

Before they pick any of those options, there's something that occurs 100% of the time: their character will, after a short period, stand up. They can't choose when to stand up (with the exception of Robo Ky) and it is inevitable, meaning that whenever they do get up (including Robo Ky if he delays it), they MUST attempt to predict you.

No they don't, their defensive mixup is stronger than you're giving them credit for. They can see what you're doing, which means you cannot using anything telegraphed and therefore cannot enter into 20 frame mixups, because if they see a 20 framer, they will launch a reversal.

Besides, that extra time they have to think isn't limited to them--it helps you out as well since it's not only more time to think about how you're going to mix them up, but also time additional time to set that up, e.g., Johnny using Bacchus Sigh once they're knocked down or Millia throwing out a disc.

I don't know about you, but I think most experienced players already know what they are going for before the knockdown even happened. Millia indeed has the nice disc (that can give your opponent a free DAA), but Johnny's mist can only be used from a knockdown where Johnny is in ready state before the opponent lands rather than any knockdown.

This is another great benefit of going for KD > Mixup instead of resetting: your oki options in general are going to vastly outnumber your reset choices. If I knock someone down with Moroha A.B.A., my options are as follows:

- Throw

- Kashitsu (flip kick)

- FB Bloodball

- safe jump j.S > fuzzy guard

- jump > Orbs just before landing

- Danzai/FB Danzai

- Goku Moroha (if you're feeling extra ballsy)

No, your option is going to be eat uppercut or block uppercut. That is the point here and only after your opponent has discarded the uppercut can you start thinking about mixing him up.

Now look at options upon resetting:

- Throw

- Hit

- Uh... Delayed throw or hit?

Yes, it's a 50/50 mixup where throws can still outprioritize attacks, which means this mixup is in YOUR advantage. Depending on how good your reset is, all they can do is chose between tech and not tech and often that choice is made by force.

There is no high/low mixup if you're both in the air.

There is no high/low mixup on the ground either, unless you have a 20 frame low. For many characters, throw vs attack has been the standard for as far as mixups go, and they have been very successful with it too.

Instead of having a multitude of options to choose from, you effective have two. Either you throw them or you hit them. What's more, you aren't forcing them to take a chance on reading you.
No, I'm forcing them to take a leap into the canyon, which is what I want. I don't want them reading me, I want them to lose.

What I mean by that is: it is entirely possible for them to just be mashing on tech and picking a direction (left, right, neutral) at random. You might have a "good" reset all planned out, the perfect trap like some madly laughing James Bond supervillain, only to completely whiff and look like an idiot because they happened to tech forward that time instead of neutral teching.

There's quite a few attacks that have this feature called blowback, it prevents forward teching, your opponent can only go neutral, back and far back, he cannot elude your immediate grasp.

With KDs, this does not happen. If he VVs, it's because he consciously input VV. If he backdashes, he choose to press 44. If he blocks, it's because he chose to block.
Yes, but he has time to do it! If he techs or whatever, he'd have to input the VV before teching, which is a LOT more difficult and a lot more prone to looking stupid.

If he escapes your mixup, it's because he correctly predicted the situation, at least to some extent. With resets, it's entirely possible he got out due to sheer luck.

If luck is his only carrying factor, I'm fine with that. The game goes on.