Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

qwerty

Johnny Player Index & Match Videos

02/08/2017: Finally added videos to this post :sweatdrop:

Japanese Johnny Players (Listed by skill, highest to lowest):
1. Satou/Satu~ (usually さとぅー, likely comes from "Satou" 佐藤) (“Wet dog shit” Brown-Green)
2. Suzume/Chin (雀)/(ちん) (“Thriller” White)
3. Kabegiwa no DC (壁際のDC) (“McDonalds” Yellow, “Drop Dead Sexy” Default)

4. Yuua ("Ferrari" Red)

5. Jonio (じょにお)

6. MK ("Bandito"White)
7. Omito (おみと) (“Thriller” White)
8. BLEED (“Drop Dead Sexy” Default)
9. FC (“Drop Dead Sexy” Default)
10. Kid (“Gundam Epyon” Maroon)

Videos of Satou:

Videos of Kabegiwa no DC:

Videos of me:

(Watch the Johnny player after me in this one, he's awesome)

Nearly a full 35 minutes of nothing but DC fighting Dizzy, Sol and May.

At the very beginning I want to state very clearly that I'm not trying to bash DC, and that the man obviously has skills. I'm impressed by his execution in some cases and he does some interesting things with KJFRC's, and one-hit Ensengas are always sexy.

That being said, I just cannot get behind his style. I wonder what his mentality must be at certain points and I always have a "WTF?!" moment in every single match. I'm honestly wondering why more of his opponents don't just adopt a safer and more defensive strategy until he runs out of coins, which doesn't take long. I mean, sure... Johnny gains tension like a beast and by the time DC *is* out of coins he's probably going to get a good tension lead while you play it safe. But even then JO is way less scary when he's stuck in Mist Level 1 unless he uses Return Jack, which is a terrible waste of tension at *almost* any time in my humble opinion.

Let me also state that this is my opinion and my JO skills are not as good as DC's.

I knew it was only a matter of time before I had to have the DC talk.

The thing is, DC is a fundamentally strong player. If he played like a normal human being, he'd honestly be as good as Suzume. In fact, I'd argue that the one thing both players have in common is that they can scare pretty much any opponent, even those better than them; DC just does it in a way that's, well, dumb. But that's fine, as long as it works.

Do I recommend you copy everything DC does? No, and frankly, most people here right now should probably make it a goal to not look like DC. What you can and should take from his matches is how to control space, with and without coins.

DC's playing style actually makes a lot of sense if you believe that your chances of winning a round drop drastically if the round drags out for too long or if you forfeit the initiative. All of the decisions you see him make logically follow from that premise, including the apparent reckless waste of coins. (hint: to him, whether the coin hits or not is not nearly as important as the coin's role in taking away offensive opportunities from his opponent and allowing him to seize an initiative, even if only for a brief moment)

Another thing to take away is that stutter step TK Air mist finer FRC at point blank is one hell of a throw bait trick.

(hint: to him, whether the coin hits or not is not nearly as important as the coin's role in taking away offensive opportunities from his opponent and allowing him to seize an initiative, even if only for a brief moment)

This is what it all comes down to. The way he uses coins may be "sub-optimal", but he can still scare people with them because they don't want to get hit by the coin, nor do they want to get hit by anything else he might throw out. Doubly so if he has meter.

When I said you shouldn't try to look like DC, I meant that you shouldn't try to copy his style without knowing how or why it works. However, there are some things you can copy if you so wish to; I just recommend you figure out quickly whether or not they'll work for you.

Satou has stepped up his game tremedously! There is some sexy stuff going on here. So I guess the consensus is to loop coin off MFL2 Upper into air combo ending in 1-hit Ensenga thanks to the wallbounce nerf? Wonder if that works on all the cast?

Satou has stepped up his game tremedously! There is some sexy stuff going on here. So I guess the consensus is to loop coin off MFL2 Upper into air combo ending in 1-hit Ensenga thanks to the wallbounce nerf? Wonder if that works on all the cast?

You think that Upper Mist Finer has been nerfed? What.

It's far better than the AC version. You can get corner enkasu with it from midscreen, and you can use it in enkasu setups from Mid Mist Finer in corner as well. The AC version was only good at damage.

It doesn't look like it's gonna be that hard to do. I mean, MC is 1f faster now, so anything that used to be a 1f link is now a 2f link, and the rest is just standard Johnny fare. If you can do enkasu from KJ FRC doing 6FRC6, I don't see how a combo like that wouldn't be well within your reach.

As for +R vids, I want to wait until there's more so I have more to pick from. I can't really give you the best of the best when it's all that's available to begin with.

The reason I started this thread is because for anyone picking up the game now, it's difficult to tell what videos are worth watching because we now have 6 years worth of AC footage. Some of the early footage is good and some of it isn't, which could easily mislead new players into getting in to bad ol' Day 1 AC habits a good portion of this game's playerbase had been stuck on for a long time; hence why I took it upon myself to pick out the best combo videos and match videos and put them in one convenient location.

A lot of what applied to AC Johnny is still applicable to +R Johnny, it's just that he's a stronger character in +R thanks to a lot of small (but significant) changes.

Poked my head in and was surprised to see people talking :>. Good shit for contributing, Alex.

MK plays White IIRC. Jonio plays random colors but he leans towards White when he's not just picking something arbitrary.

You should include Wadako, though he might not be that impressive, he has been playing in +R vids recently.

Fujiyoshi looks like a new rookie who's been in a recent mikado +R video as well. He's not that good but his playstyle is pretty progressive, though a lot of his footage is him beating up on other rookies or dying to gods.

Also Jonio > Omito imo.

Again, I want to refrain from archiving Day 1 stuff too soon, especially with the balance patch around the corner (though idk how JO will be affected by it, if at all).

Not to mention, I can't actively follow +R right now. Shit internet and not much free time takes a toll on these kinds of things. :(

my color comments are not in the context of +R. wadako showed up in a lot of vids for a while pre-+R, so yeah.

First +R vid added to the playlist. I may just make a separate +R playlist eventually, though.

I don't know if I wanna add this one or not, lol. On one hand, it does show some cool stuff you can do with the tools Johnny gained in +R. On the other hand, it's hard to advocate wakeup 2HS, throwing four coins in two seconds, etc. Pretty sure this is DC playing, since it's an A-Cho vid.

Also, a few videos I had on the playlist have been taken down. Most of them were matchvids, which is unfortunate. If anyone has those matches (I believe it was a set of Satou vs Ain and something else I can't remember offhand) or the old video that showed the options Johnny gets off of 6K (it was previously uploaded as "Johnny 6K Tutorial" or something like that), I'd appreciate it if you could send those my way so I could reupload them.

I'll probably be showing up in Mikado footage over the next few months, so I guess I'll start posting my own videos.

This was my first 3v3 back in June. I was pretty nervous, and did as many things right as I did wrong, but I somehow feel satisfied with my performance.

I'll probably be showing up in Mikado footage over the next few months, so I guess I'll start posting my own videos.

This was my first 3v3 back in June. I was pretty nervous, and did as many things right as I did wrong, but I somehow feel satisfied with my performance.

sweet I always watch the new mikado vids w JO players so I'll be seeing you. Have you met any sick Johnny players like satou, bleed, kabegiwanodc, or others? Do you know if suzume plays at all these days or what happened to him?

I played against BLEED a few times. He's a pretty fun opponent, though I think I pissed him off the last time we played because I landed an IK on him. :P

There's a lot of Johnny players here, as you may expect. I've been complimented on my stepjack ability by most of the ones I've played against, and that's about all I'll claim to have on them. :P Johnny players tend to be more patient than most, which is how they overcome bad matchups (I've seen more than a few Zappas lose to patient Johnny players, which is telling me it may not be as bad as I first thought).

Last I heard, Suzume only occasionally plays now. You'd be better off asking someone that plays at a-cho, though.