Sign in to follow this  
Psyken

Best way to defend against grabs?

Okay in BB there are two ways to tech throws (B+C) and (1ABC) the first is the basic method in which your throw animation actually comes out, while the other allows you to tech throws without your animation coming out, but makes you more susceptible to TRM setups. The most important thing about these two options is knowing what situation to properly use each one.

Example A- Jin does 2A,2A run up 6B this is a really basic example in which Jin uses the air borne properties of 6B to bait your throw animation in which case he will get a counter hit 6B if you use (B+C). Now if you used (1ABC) your barrier will come out thus giving you barrier if they 6B and a throw tech if they go for a green grab.

Example B-Jin does 2A,2A,dash,2A, throw, this is yet another basic setup in which Jin baits you into flinching so to speak into using (1ABC) in which he will see the barrier and just throw you for a TRM green grab/purple throw you. In this situation it would have been better to use (B+C).

Now for the hard part when do you use each one?

The best answer I can provide is to simply use your intuition and be open minded to all your options (jumping away,back dashing,DP,super,playing ragna,etc). To put it bluntly throws are not always meant to be teched sometimes it's better to simply recognize the situation and simply jump away rather than sitting there trying to tech the throw especially online. It's important to be able to recognize situations in which people throw and act based on what you feel would work best in the given situation. I personally try to combine my reaction time with the throw break OS to optimize it's efficiency, but even after being in the same situation multiple times I do my best to shuffle between my options and pick the best one based on the opponent I'm playing. I think it's safe to say we all have cut our loses at one point and simply jumped away as the risk of using the improper throw break option was just not worth it.

Netplay tips on throws

-Only play people you have good connection with as this allows you to at least attempt to tech throws on reactions with as little latency as netplay possible.

-If you know there is delay cut your loses and just jump/back dash when you feel a throw coming.

-Use your yomi,instincts, and intuition to help you anticipate when a throw is about to happen as If you are already expecting it you will have an easier time teching.

-shuffle through all your options with your character

-Eat the Extend throw damage like a man!

Edited by NeoGio0o

Okay in BB there are two ways to tech throws (B+C) and (1ABC) the first is the basic method in which your throw animation actually comes out, while the other allows you to tech throws without your animation coming out, but makes you more susceptible to TRM setups. The most important thing about these two options is knowing what situation to properly use each one.

Example A- Jin does 2A,2A run up 6B this is a really basic example in which Jin uses the air borne properties of 6B to bait your throw animation in which case he will get a counter hit 6B if you use (B+C). Now if you used (1ABC) your barrier will come out thus giving you barrier if they 6B and a throw tech if they go for a green grab.

Example B-Jin does 2A,2A,dash,2A, throw, this is yet another basic setup in which Jin baits you into flinching so to speak into using (1ABC) in which he will see the barrier and just throw you for a TRM green grab/purple throw you. In this situation it would have been better to use (B+C).

barrier os doesnt make you any more susceptible, i think. you still have the same trm window? not sure

and in example 2 if you hit bc but he threw during blockstun it would be trm so iuno

Edited by not_lunaris

barrier os doesnt make you any more susceptible, i think. you still have the same trm window? not sure

and in example 2 if you hit bc but he threw during blockstun it would be trm so iuno

When you OS the TRM window is a bit more strict if you ask me. As for example B I made the assumtion your teching off reaction, but yes you are correct in your statement, though If you use B+C and the grab is green ofetn at times you will throw him and the opponent will simply tech since he was going for a throw as well. When using the OS this facotr is completely eliminated.

Throw teching isn't that hard, even online (unless its unplayable lag) you just got to REMEMBER your opponent CAN throw you at any time and then simply react to it once you see it. It sounds like a simple solution but not that many people tech throws when they should I notice.

Oh yeah and practice lol

REMEMBER your opponent CAN throw you at any time

A slight exaggeration here, it's easier to react to throws if you know the common throw setups.

Common examples of when your opponent might throw you:

1. During jab pressure
  2. After a neutral or + move, jumping attacks are the glaring example here
  3. After a move that can be used for resets mid-combo (Jin's 5B, most 5As, moves with little to no hitstun, etc.)
  4. After an aerial tech, dropped combo or no knockdown air combo (too obvious, hold that Barrier and react to the throw attempt)
  5. As your coming down from the air, usually while you're holding Barrier
  6. At the start of the match, a lot of people tend to go for IAD throws. Too obvious and punishable.
  7. If you tech a throw, the opponent might IAD throw you if you try to jump away. I get caught by this shit a LOT :vbang:

Those are the common throw attempts, anything outside of that is usually gimmicky crap, you being predictable with chicken blocks, or someone just running up to you from mid-screen and grabbing you for the lulz

Well shit, that's a lot of scenarios. Might as well go with the "get thrown at any time" lol.

A slight exaggeration here, it's easier to react to throws if you know the common throw setups.

1. During jab pressure
  3. After a move that can be used for resets mid-combo (Jin's 5B, most 5As, moves with little to no hitstun, etc.)
  4. After an aerial tech, dropped combo or no knockdown air combo (too obvious, hold that Barrier and react to the throw attempt)
  6. At the start of the match, a lot of people tend to go for IAD throws. Too obvious and punishable.
  7. If you tech a throw, the opponent might IAD throw you if you try to jump away. I get caught by this shit a LOT :vbang:

Those are the common throw attempts, anything outside of that is usually gimmicky crap, you being predictable with chicken blocks, or someone just running up to you from mid-screen and grabbing you for the lulz

Well shit, that's a lot of scenarios. Might as well go with the "get thrown at any time" lol.

You forgot getting thrown right after waking up.

Just gonna "throw" this out there...

I love how everyone throws around the term "netplay". Are you guys complaining about being grabbed online seriously saying that you would have 100% teched that grab if only it were offline? Unless there's an actual lag spike or a particularly bad connection (in which case, why are you even trying to play the match with a 0 connection?) what's the problem? Seems like an easy thing to blame when they fail to anticipate a grab to me.

Nobody plays BB offline, the people that do are like 0.010% of players and most of them post on here, which is why everyone just says "lol play offline scrub hurr". In real life, most BB players are too scrubby to leave their houses as they are always broke kids/are way too lazy/whatever. It's not like Street Fighter/Marvel where everyone is cool and doesn't really play video games and they all shout loudly and get hype together!

Blazblue is an ONLINE game. Arc designed it that way. That is why there is the 5 frame buffering and that's why they strive to put in good netcode with good online infrastructure. Deal with it. Or just grab back. What's so hard about this?

I love how everyone throws around the term "netplay". Are you guys complaining about being grabbed online seriously saying that you would have 100% teched that grab if only it were offline? Unless there's an actual lag spike or a particularly bad connection (in which case, why are you even trying to play the match with a 0 connection?) what's the problem? Seems like an easy thing to blame when they fail to anticipate a grab to me.

Nobody plays BB offline, the people that do are like 0.010% of players and most of them post on here, which is why everyone just says "lol play offline scrub hurr". In real life, most BB players are too scrubby to leave their houses as they are always broke kids/are way too lazy/whatever. It's not like Street Fighter/Marvel where everyone is cool and doesn't really play video games and they all shout loudly and get hype together!

Blazblue is an ONLINE game. Arc designed it that way. That is why there is the 5 frame buffering and that's why they strive to put in good netcode with good online infrastructure. Deal with it. Or just grab back. What's so hard about this?

You seem to forget about the players who also play it on tournaments or actually have real life friends to play with. I can't agree with you that blazblue is a pure online game, some people on this forum hardly netplay.

Stay on topic, and while we're at it, stop the rest of trolling in this thread. The very, very, very last thing I want is an online vs offline debate in this thread or anywhere in Gameplay Discussion.

This thread is not for examining the merits of netplay versus offline play. I'm not going to shove a rebuttal up your ass in this thread, but your post seems just seems extremely ignorant. Please take it elsewhere if you would like to discuss it.

1. During jab pressure

I get away with doing this way too much. No one suspects a light poke and a "dropped combo opportunity" that leads into an air-tech that gets grabbed with a follow-up.

Good list by the way.

It's netplay. It is functional but far from perfect.

I'm new here, but my advice would be to take a few throws so you can predict your opponent next round. I used to eat throws all day when playing against a good Lambda, but if you just let the anger pass and watch, its all fairly easy to pick up on their habits.

It's my understanding (based on my own experiences, mind you) that most players use Throws to make up for their overall "lack" of damage during the flow of the fight. A good Haku-men player can probably get a feel for when someone's itching to trying and throw him if they can't find any normal ways to hit him. This is especially true if the opponent is out of Bursts or it's the last round of a match. They tend to go for throws in the last round or 2nd round more if that's all they have left for damage options or they're trying to make a comeback from the previous loss.

Also, more than anything, Throws are most often used to END a round, which is actually a gamble in and of itself, as players tend to underestimate the amount of damage a throw can do when they've got more than an inch of health left.

It's my understanding (based on my own experiences, mind you) that most players use Throws to make up for their overall "lack" of damage during the flow of the fight. A good Haku-men player can probably get a feel for when someone's itching to trying and throw him if they can't find any normal ways to hit him. This is especially true if the opponent is out of Bursts or it's the last round of a match. They tend to go for throws in the last round or 2nd round more if that's all they have left for damage options or they're trying to make a comeback from the previous loss.

Also, more than anything, Throws are most often used to END a round, which is actually a gamble in and of itself, as players tend to underestimate the amount of damage a throw can do when they've got more than an inch of health left.

Good point, now that you mention it I see this all the time from myself and others.