Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kairi

Jam Questions and Critique Thread

I was thinking of writing up a frequenly asked questions thread on jam but I have no idea what to write in it since there is no activity on these forums there are no faq's. So a Q&A intead. Ask any questions you have about Jam here.

Can you list yummy jam combos? Burst canceling too. Also, Jam strats against people? Oh oh oh!! Videos too so we can see them...that would be sexy. Nobody will do the Guilty Gear "tutorial" series.

Things I must know: 1. How do you parry a projectile with multiple hits? I've heard it called "burst rush" before, I downloaded the Wargasm guide but unfortunately I don't know enough Japanese and the vid goes pretty fast for me. 2. Some nice B&B combos for Jam would be good... list setups like Throw FRC, 236S>K>charged 236k RC, 236S>S CH, etc. That would help out some new Jam users (like me! heh). I saw a list of her best normals in one of these threads but I forget where... What happened to the Jam guide? Got scrapped? Oh well I guess this is as close as we'll get to one? haha

Pasted from my post in the Using Jam! thread... 5K is a 5-frame low that gives +2 frame advantage on hit and is an important part of her ground strings and frame traps. I'm not in the position to do an in-depth overview of Jam's movelist since I'm still learning her myself, but here's some stuff that you HAVE to use. 2P - very fast move that gives awesome frames for frame traps, and is also an important part of Jam's gatlings. 2S - staggers on CH, good priority, nice hitbox, and neutral on block 2D - knockdown, jump cancellable for very good okizeme mix-ups. f.S - good far poke that hits high and is jump cancellable. Good airdash starter and combos into TK Ryuujin for awesome abare. Good anti-air against some characters with not-so-good jump-ins like Millia without pin, but will never work against Faust's j.D or Slayer's j.H. 6K- makes crouching characters stand up on hit. Insert this into a gatling if you want a crouching character to get hit by Ryuujin. Jump cancellable too. j.P - good spam tool when airdashing and anti-airthrow. Good pressure and mix-ups if you vary the number of j.P before landing. j.S - anti-air and air combo staple. JCable in air. j.HS - good priority air move and hits behind her for cross-ups. Nice CH stun against airborne opponents for re-jump combos. j.D - good whiff punisher when used in conjunction with IAD. Prone to IB punishment unless you add in a j.2K after j.D gets blocked. Leads to a free combo for Jam on hit. I think those are her best normals. It's good to learn all her most useful gatlings, especially those that give frame advantage on block. And unless you want to gatling into 3 kicks, end the gatling in a 2D for a free power-up or okizeme mix-up afterwards. Burst Cancel - parry something, use your Burst and IMMEDIATELY cancel it with faultless defense. You retain your Burst invincibility but you're free to do whatever you want. I'm at a loss as to which of Jam's combos are considered B&B, since I'm normally pretty freestyle with my combos. But generally, long-ish ground strings with a few 2Ps and 5Ks should be ended with a 2D + charge/oki mix-up... heavily prorated ground string~> 2D, charge any ground string~> c.S, f.S, TK Ryuujin, RC, j.S, JC, dj.S, dj.H, 3Kicks (works on all characters Millia height or taller, except Faust) any ground string~> 2D, TK Ryuujin, RC, j.S, JC, dj.S, dj.H, 3Kicks (works on Millia, May, and Zappa) Throw FRC~> c.S, f.S, SJI, sj.S, sj.P, sj.S, JC, dsj.S, dsj.HS 3Kicks Jam has a very open-ended combo system, but those are the basics. Big combos involving CH 236S~S and IAD 214K are very spacing dependent, so I'll leave those for the pros to explain. Now for a question of my own. What're the character specific ground string enders for Faust and Baiken? For Faust I've been settling for 2D JC j.K j.D 3Kicks. For Baiken, I do 2D RC 5K f.S air combo which I think is a bit of a waste of tension. Recommendations?

On Fausts I use what you posted. On Bacon you can do the Far Slash into TK 236K, but its really hard you'll get used to it though you have to do it really low. But if you can't get it just do 2D RC, 66 5K, S©,S(f), JC aircombo.

so burst cancel would be like b,f,hs + dust,b whatever buttons you use to faultless really fast then do whatever?

. Also, Jam strats against people?

I want to keep this thread a simple Q&A so stuff like vs starts don't belong in here, we already have a starts thread and a match up thread question like those are better of in there.

Can you list yummy jam combos?

I don't have much to say about jam combos. There all very simple with slight varations, the combos you'll be using anyway.

Her combos mostly revolve around her 5s 2369k bnb. This is because it can connect from almost anything and means she can capitalise any random hit with good damage.

I guess I'll make a combo thread since this forum doesn't really have one, in future just ask for combos in there.

Oh oh oh!! Videos too so we can see them...that would be sexy. Nobody will do the Guilty Gear "tutorial" series.

Check the stickies in guilty pleasures. rtl has a section for jam cms and theres always jam vids being posted in the slash matches thread.

1. How do you parry a projectile with multiple hits? I've heard it called "burst rush" before, I downloaded the Wargasm guide but unfortunately I don't know enough Japanese and the vid goes pretty fast for me.

Burst cancel is done like this, parry then burst then fdc the burst.

If done right you'll be inv for a few frames. Theres a reason it's not used alot, its kinda difficult and if you mess up you lose a burst.

so burst cancel would be like b,f,hs + dust,b whatever buttons you use to faultless really fast then do whatever?

This is what I use 4 6 for the parry 5d + 5k for the burst then 4 5k + 5s. It doesn't matter what buttons you use for the burst of the fd.

ok, I have a question: I see on many vids (and every single GG board!) that people manage to combo 236+K, RC, 236+S->HS, wallbouce into air combo! I am trying to pull that out for months now and it NEVER even seemed to work. (It seems like the 236+S->HS does not come out fast enough to hit the opponent in the air...) Is there a secret? a special condition or a timing for this to work? Thanks

didn´t i just answer your question few days ago in the other thread ?

no... back then, I asked about the 236+K, RC, HS, land, air combo thing.

You must somehow launch your opponent first before hitting them with the charged 236K for you to be able to RC and connect 236S~HS afterwards. Most common starters are the following, IAD 214K, f.S, 2HS, charged 236K 236S~K (I know it's not a launcher, but it works), charged 236K CH 236S~S, charged 236K Just RC the 236K and do 236S~HS afterwards.

Thanks hyappo.

(I still can't do it right though... I am pretty sure I dont do the 236+S~HS early enough... I always hit the oponent on the ground, so it not lauching him for an aire-combo..)

236S~K (I know it's not a launcher, but it works), charged 236K

CH 236S~S, charged 236K

hold on! in that case, you have to do 236+S~S and not 236+S~HS right?

Thanks hyappo.

(I still can't do it right though... I am pretty sure I dont do the 236+S~HS early enough... I always hit the oponent on the ground, so it not lauching him for an aire-combo..)

If that's the case, then yeah, you're probably not doing the 236S~HS fast enough.

hold on! in that case, you have to do 236+S~S and not 236+S~HS right?

What I posted were different combo starters for 236S~HS to hit after charged 236K RC.

If you were to use 236S~S you won't be able to hit, much less get the wallbounce.

And errr... the name's Coke. lol

What I posted were different combo starters for 236S~HS to hit after charged 236K RC.

If you were to use 236S~S you won't be able to hit, much less get the wallbounce.

right... then with the setup you posted above, you're saying that you need to 236+S~K, 236+K(charged), RC, 236+S~S, 236+K(charged) AGAIN, and then RC into 236+S~HS wallbounce and air?

And errr... the name's Coke. lol

sorry... I misunderstood... :china:

(I am at work, and I have to type these posts quickly before my boss passes behind me and checks what is on my screen...)

Those are three different set-ups. Maybe I should've put spaces between them? Just to be clear: 1. IAD 214K, f.S, 2HS, charged 236K, RC, land, 236S~HS, wall bounce, air combo 2. 236S~K (I know it's not a launcher, but it works), charged 236K, RC, land, 236S~HS, wall bounce, air combo 3. CH 236S~S, charged 236K, RC, land, 236S~HS, wall bounce, air combo

>Coke: Thanks! I got it! (works! great! ...the right timing is actually that you have to do the "236" when still in the air after the RC, and manage to press the S button as soon a you touch the ground...) >Esayah: I gave up on that! ...I dont know, maybe it's my stick, or it's just me! ..I just CAN'T do that right. I managed to pull this off in a versus match ONCE, and the opponent was crouching... I got angry and decided to never use that move again. I just replaced it with K, S, S, 236+S~K, 236+K, RC, HS, land, JP, JS, JP,JS re-Jump, DUST -> 3 kicks I just use that one whenever I have the chance to start a combo with a 5K. the main advantage of this one here, is that no matter if the opponent is crouching or standing, all hits will connect!

Ahh nice. Also, is the K>S>S>2HS(1-hit)>236K>etc. combo worth doing? I think 2HS prorates a bunch but I'm not sure. If not I'm just gonna go with that combo you have there, atryu. It's just a bit unorthodox :P

K, S, S, 2HS(1hit), 236+K etc... is all right, but deals small damage. (the good thing is that the timing is so easy, that it's almost impossible to screw it up..^^) I would recomend that over mine above when you are SURE that it will finish the opponent off. EDIT: OH! but what you can do, if you manage to JI in between the S, S, you can RC the 236+K into a JS and air combo directly without touching the ground. makes it like: K, S, JI, S, 2HS, 236+K, RC, JS, P, S, HS -> 3 kicks (off course, that a little bit more tricky to pull out) another thing you can do is to RC on the 623+K into an air combo. K, S, S, 2HS, 236+K, 623+K, RC, JP, S, P, HS -> 3 kicks well, this is what I use, as I find the TK236+K almost impossible to perform and completely useless as 95% of the time, your opponent will be crouching and the TK236+K will NOT hit!

When an opponent is crouching, you can insert a 6K somewhere in your string to make them stand. You can also just end your string with a 2D to charge or go for oki. And try using f.S or 2D 8236K if you're having trouble with the TK combo, just do the motion as fast and fluid as you can. This way there's no danger of getting a superjump, even though there are still a lot of ways to combo after a TK SJ 236K... And iirc, don't do 2HS(1) 236K unless your 236K is charged because the 236K whiffs on a lot of chars, and even then the prorate of 2HS means you just wasted a charge.

And try using f.S or 2D 8236K if you're having trouble with the TK combo

hmmmm.... I'll try like that... but I think that it will get tough to JI between the 2 S, and push UP AGAIN after the 2nd one...

it would be like: K,S, 8, S, 8236+K, RC, AIR combo.

I still believe that K, S, S, 236+S->K, 236+K, RC, HS, land -> air is a better/more useful option after hitting with a 5K.

Why JI? TKing the 236K means that you did 236K in the air, so you can air combo and double jump if you RC it. Not to mention the extra jump given by 623K kinda takes away the necessity to ever JI anything, aside from the throw FRC JI combo. But your combo's pretty good too, I think I'll use it once in a while for variety.

TKing the 236K means that you did 236K in the air, so you can air combo and double jump if you RC it.

Right.. I see... that's the whole point of doing this bloody TK thing... (I thought it's only to make it connect after a 5S...)

mhmmm... I guess I am gonna have to practice that!