Sign in to follow this  
Kairi

Jam Questions and Critique Thread

This is kinda stupid question, but how exactly do you use the cards Jam uses to power up her kicks after you charge?

In AC, you use a charged kick by inputting the kick command after making contact (on hit or block) with another kick special or FBPB, or any time (hit block or whiff) after doing 236SK. I'd go into more detail but on my phone.

Haha, typing on the phone sure is a hassle, Amadeous !

Allow me to intrude.

Wild Candy, there is a nice Guide to Jam written by Stickbug here :

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14375-GGAC-Complete-Jam-Guide

Part [2.2] explains the cards/power-ups, how to get them, what they do and also details each charged special.

Be sure to read the rest of the guide too, should you be interested in Jam.

Oh, I get it now. You do a normal special like 236K, and depending on the card, you can follow up with either 214K or 623K upon hit.

And yeah, I'm interested in Jam. I main Makoto in BB, and I usually use Dizzy in GG. But I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to choose a character who could handle pressure a little better then Dizzy (Like when I'm going up against someone like Sol or Slayer), and Since Jam plays fairly similar to Makoto, I thought I'd give her a try.

Jam's very much rushdown and fun to play, so I hope you like playing her! And you've got it with the cards, the only thing you might've missed is you could do a special like 236K and then depending on the card, follow up in to 214K or 623K or 236K. Kicks can cancel into charged versions of themselves as long as you have the card required and haven't reached the maximum number of charged cancels.

I really didn't want to come here so fast and ask about such a simple thing, but I've been trying for like 3 hours and I can't get the first combo from the guide (I get stuck on the red part) Dash 5K > cS > 5H(3) > 6H xx 6P(1) > 5H(3) > 6HH or 6H xx 5K > 2D right after 6H nothing comes out, maybe my timing is wrong, or my speed, or maybe I'm doing something wrong on the input.

I'm also having trouble with fS > 2D > j236K, from what I've read, j mean to jump right? So I'm supposed to jump and use Ryujin? I've been trying to do it without jumping against Ky but he always hits the ground before I can get him. I read j236K is faster, but I don't see how I'll manage to jump, do the skill and get him right after 2D lol.

I played guilty gears years ago and I never really bothered with learning anything and just had fun doing flashy skills. But with the excitement for Xrd I bough AC for ps3 yesterday and here I am after a bit of google, trying to learn how to use Jam.

And in case it helps, I'm using a stick

Edit: Oh wow, new blood, pfft how fitting lol

Edited by Solmagnum

I really didn't want to come here so fast and ask about such a simple thing, but I've been trying for like 3 hours and I can't get the first combo from the guide (I get stuck on the red part) Dash 5K > cS > 5H(3) > 6H xx 6P(1) > 5H(3) > 6HH or 6H xx 5K > 2D right after 6H nothing comes out, maybe my timing is wrong, or my speed, or maybe I'm doing something wrong on the input.

That's a link, and it's actually a fairly easy one, just a bit of trouble finding the timing. Make sure you're not mashing, cause you won't be finding the timing that way. The way I recommend to find the timing is to press 6H then immediately start holding 4P+K to Faultless Defend, and pay attention to when the green circle appears around Jam. That's when you want to be pressing 6P. Also remember you don't have to let go of 6 during the combo, and can hold 6 as you go from 6H to 6P. Later on in the combo 6H xx 5K is another link, but it's slightly easier than 6H xx 6P due to 5K having faster startup than 6P.

I'm also having trouble with fS > 2D > j236K, from what I've read, j mean to jump right? So I'm supposed to jump and use Ryujin? I've been trying to do it without jumping against Ky but he always hits the ground before I can get him. I read j236K is faster, but I don't see how I'll manage to jump, do the skill and get him right after 2D lol.

The j236K is j as in jump, yes. Another way of reading that could be "TK Ryujin" or Tiger Knee Ryujin, so a 2369K would work there too...however there is a problem with your training dummy. That combo is character specific and only works against May, Millia, Faust, and Potemkin IIRC. With May and Millia specifically, you don't have to TK the Ryujin input even. Something you CAN do against Ky, and all opponents that are Millia's standing hitbox or higher is fS > j236K, again another TK Ryujin input.

I played guilty gears years ago and I never really bothered with learning anything and just had fun doing flashy skills. But with the excitement for Xrd I bough AC for ps3 yesterday and here I am after a bit of google, trying to learn how to use Jam.

And in case it helps, I'm using a stick

Edit: Oh wow, new blood, pfft how fitting lol

I'm glad you've gotten enough interest into the game to give it a try! Jam's a very fun character and good for beginners IMO, so I hope you'll have fun playing her or anyone else you choose to stick with in the game. Feel free to ask questions, and be sure to read the Jam guide and Wiki Page!

Alright, so in Guilty Gear notation (how we write out the combos), the "xx" after 6H means the next move in a link. A link is when you need to let a move fully recover before you can do the next move in the combo. Usually these are very tight timings which require practice. What you need to learn is the timing for when Jam fully ecovers from the first hit of 6H. In practice mode go up to the dummy and do the first part of the combo before the link (Dash 5K > cS > 5H(3) > 6H) and just hold forward after doing 6H. When Jam starts to move that means she is fully recovered. Get a feel for the timing and then try to press 6P at the same spot. It might take you a few times to get it down. Also, if nothing is coming out you are doing the link too early and if 6P comes out but it does not combo you are doing it too slow. Since you are using stick there is another thing you can do to make this link a little simpler: you can try double tapping the 6P input. To do this, "strum" the 6P with you pointer and middle finger so that you get two button presses. This will help make getting the link easier since now you are inputting the 6P twice instead of once.

This combo only works on light characters such as May and Millia. This is a tough combo. The trick is to input j236K as 2369K, and you press K as soon as Jam leaves the ground. The game will retain your "236" input even after you leave the ground. You can do this for pretty much every air special/super in the game: do directional inputs + 7/8/9 > button press. Try doing 2369K while just standing there and then try doing it in the combo. This combo is a tight link. Try doing it against May first.

Hope all his helps.

Recorded a set of myself v Shinobi in GGACR. If anyone could help me with what I need to work on, tips with the matchup against Ky, etc, I'd appreciate it.

where should i start with Jam?

i'm new to GG (coming from 3S/ibuki) and i'm still getting used to the game.

i can sit here and read threads about her all day but i'm still unsure on where to actually start/what to work on first.

You took too much risk at the end of the round by using charged cards. At the end of most of the rounds you became reckless in situations where you could have won. You also tried to parry too often instead of blocking. It would be better if you blocked, waited for you opponent to do predictable strings, then parry and punish them. The biggest problem was that you got grabbed to often which gave your opponent a easy way to gain advantage and win the match. This is all my opinion. Please respond if you find this enlightening/incorrect.

Yeah, it's worth it. It's somewhat hard to apply but it's good for midscreen and corner knockdowns as it's a strong left/right mixup that's hard to punish. Using Charged IAD Kenroukaku is also great as okizeme, since it FORCES them to block - it's so invul that if they try to DP through it they'll be CH. Just be wary of doing it on characters that are very short crouchers. It tends to whiff on a lot of crouching hitboxes.

A tip? For doing normal Kenroukaku, IAD DP input needs to be done correctly. As in, it needs to be a true DP input ending with 3. Otherwise, you'll get IAD Ryujin which is bad. If you're doing Charged Kenroukaku though, you can get away with doing IAD QCF. Even if you have a Charged Ryujin card, as long as you do it fast enough the game gives priority to IAD D DP over IAD D Ryujin.

Got a good deal of footage from this weekend, playing with Ohio regulars. Feedback would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfdMF8_MuEc v. Brandino :OS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqESppOBl1w v. Circuitous :PO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD6j_byE1WI   v. SonicSpear :RO:

LOL sorry about that I didn't edit these. Pretty much any other match would be okay to watch. Or round for that matter. These guys I all play a ton so excuse any goofing-off that happens haha.

Pretty sure that's what we were testing actually. Wanted to see how often Jam's jS could beat HOS's jP. Came to a conclusion that even if Jam gets underneath HOS (which is hard cause of his low jump), if he's mashing jP it's still hard to get through it.

I've tested in a real match, and unfortunately the AI Dummy lies to you. It's rather easy to mash back tech out of really :(  Use record/playback to hold back and mash a button to back tech and you'll see what I mean.

I feel like this was something they wanted to actually be /a thing/ but couldn't force each hit to be untechable.

It probably seems untechable because it was set to neutral tech instead of forward/back. Neutral teching is slower than forward/back so if your goal is to get out of a black beat combo, don't neutral tech.

Sign in to follow this