Sign in to follow this  
Honnou

I-no vs Chipp

:CH: CHIPP MATCHUP INFORMATION Poking Game Strategy Specific Punishes Setups/baits Knowledge

Never played a chipp who I could keep up with. He's really fast. Supposedly you can air throw him out of his air teleport, but I never succeeded. If you can get a combo in, chipp is basically dead, but his AA can ruin your oki. Notes feel absolutely useless in this match-up. Teleports make notes pretty much useless and very punishable. Chipp runs alot and if you just poke at him, you'll eat a very long, boring and weak combo. It's really weird, it doesn't take much to take chipp down, but it takes a whole lot to catch him.

playing SugataDesigns Chipp yesterday: 6H = Fail My notes got snuffed left and right no matter where Chipp was on the screen. Trying to throw on wake up gets you thrown with the leaves move instead. Not in my matches, but I notice this Chipp liked to spam shurikens Ibuki style. You can't outpoke Chipp. I can't remember for sure but I think Dead Angel followed by Note Oki worked somewhat. I'll add more once the vids are up and I can analyze all the things I did wrong.

I Hate beta blade with a passion. the invincibility and broken priority destroyed poke games. Oki game is dangerous around an experience Chipp. Which I-no excels at. I personally find this match up my worst as an I-no player

I Hate beta blade with a passion. the invincibility and broken priority destroyed poke games. Oki game is dangerous around an experience Chipp. Which I-no excels at. I personally find this match up my worst as an I-no player

This sounds very obvious but if you are playing against Character's with dangerously good invincible moves (or any character with 50% tension), bait for them. I-No's hover-dash allows you to make excellent fake/whipped air moves to bait for their reversals. Whipped j.HS into 2K seems to bait most of reversals. You can also TK note FRC on their wake-up and see if they are doing anything. If they are not, you can confirm and continue your pressure. This is just coming from common knowledge. I don't have much experience with I-No but throwing out 2 cents from experience based on playing other characters. :thumbu:

I need some people experienced with the matchup to help me out here. I played against a Chipp for the first time as I-No the other day and got destroyed. What's really annoying is that:

1. Before I-No, I played Chipp, so I know where all of his gaps are and I know what he wants to do.

2. This Chipp doesn't make execution mistakes but he's extremely 1-dimensional and I know what he's going to do 80% of the time.

3. He doesn't know how to do damage. He'll spend 50% to do a 20% damage combo.

And yet I couldn't do anything. My pokes were always beat by his, even in situations where I should have been ok to poke, and almost all of my air-throw attempts didn't work. "Oh, he's going to D teleport at the start of the round because that's how he opens 75% of the time. I'm going to airthrow". *Jump back at start, he does D teleport, throw whiffs, get punished*

Things I know you can do:

1. If he does the command throw, 5P it > combo (if there's time - 5p is frame 4, so it should work almost always), or jump and air throw it. One of the only air-throws I managed to land this match was against this move. I would think that CH HCL/VCL would work great here since I think I-No leaves the ground frame 1? Someone correct me here, but HCL FRC VCL > combo will do like 50% if this setup works, so it's probably the best punish. You might not even have to spend meter since he's floaty (I'm still working on combos so I don't really know enough).

2. Like with Sol, if he jumps in or H/D teleports in with j.H, instant block > throw. Just be careful of j.H > fast shuriken or Alpha FRC, which will be used to try and stuff this sort of throw or keep pressure on. FRC Alpha will put him behind you, or if he does it low enough, in front. If he's really high when he goes for Alpha FRC out of j.H, you can probably throw him when he hits the ground.

3. Same thing with his j.2K. His j.2K is like lvl 2 or 3, so there's way less block-stun than his j.H. Expect him to 2K or tick-throw with it, though a lot of Chipps would rather FDC > j.H.

When I played Chipp, I was air-thrown out of j.H a lot by my friend's Sol. I-No should have no problem doing the same thing on reaction since her range is better, but I lack the execution right now to do it.

I had issues with I-No's reversal safe oki on Chipp for some reason. I'm fine vs Sol, but Chipp managed to clip me with Beta Blade every ****ing time, and that was frustrating since he ALWAYS did Beta Blade on wakeup. "I'll just time a meaty j.S to land before he gets up" *Gets hit*.

Things to remember:

1. His 2D is foot invincible and will beat a ton of pokes out of the gate.

2. If he lands a CH 6P, he can 6H and it'll be red beat (only on CH), which leads to some of his higher damage combos. Be really careful going Air to Ground here. If he has meter he can 6P > 6H > j.P > j.D > Alpha > FRC > loop for maybe 50% on I-No?

3. His 2S has a nice hitbox (happens to stuff a ton of Sol's moves), and it'll stuff STBT no problem.

4. His c.S is frame 4 and +2 on block.

5. First hit of his Rekkas is -1, 2nd hit is either the fast low (even more advantage us, but I forget how much) or the slow overhead (I think plenty of advantage for us, enough for free punish). If he does the slow overhead, you can 6P on reaction for big damage it or maybe airthrow it if you want to be a jerk. Should probably just block low out of the first one to be safe and reactive punish the overhead if you see it start. If he hits with the low, he can RC > dash in > combo. Just be careful since he can FRC the overhead.

6. Never forget that Gamma Blade is +5. It goes through most projectiles, so it probably eats the note instead of triggering it like a lot of other moves do (meaning that some moves will hit the note and activate the extra hits wherever they clashed, but I think your note will just disappear here)

7. His S teleport is the one where he goes backwards a little bit. It's sort of slow, but it makes him count as airborne. Probably wont come up at all, but if you dash in and he stupidly does that, don't try to ground throw it.

8. His 6K sucks balls, but he's airborne. Air-throw it on reaction. : ) Seriously though, 6P > combo or something. His 6K only combos if he RCs or on Counterhit (causes floorslide), and it prorates 70%. It'll CH you if you try to sweep or throw, but just about anything else will hit him since it's ultra laggy.

9. I succeeded with several random UF pokes. Don't forget that it screen freezes and try to punish stupid dash ins or teleports that aren't baits (a good Chipp should bait really well though).

10. His Dust has giant range and is +1 on block. He can still do a nice ID combo at max range (IAD j.K > follow up), so learn to deal with it.

11. His j.D has a great hitbox, knocks down on regular hit, and floorslides on CH for a combo. I would think I-No is better air to air, but he has stuff do deal with you air to ground or ground to air.

12. It probably wont come up since you can dive him if he whiffs, but don't get hit by a CH 6H. He'll get another 6H in, and then combo. If he has meter he could CH 6H > 6H > RC > dash in 6H > combo and do like 60%, while maybe stunning you. That'll REALLY SUCK.

13. If he ever uses Bankai Messai, FD to push him back or get out of the way and punish the **** out of it. This Overdrive totally sucks unless he uses it as a reversal or hit confirms into it when your Guard Bar is maxed, and even then, it still sucks. As Chipp, I've been thrown out of it. I think there's enough time to FD him out of range and go for the IK when he lands out of the uppercuts at the end. Free wins vs anyone stupid enough to do this. If there's not enough time for an IK, use that UF > UF > combo from earlier and do 75%, or a regular combo for 50%. *Edit 4/20/12* If he uses this, FD, backdash out once he's at full blockpush range, go for IK. Everyone can do this except for Chipp himself and Dizzy because of the hitboxes and setup, and Order Sol because he doesn't have one.

I messed around a bit and found that if you get the tech-trap in the corner or any corner airthrow setup, you can 5H out of the air throw > j.H > Pdive > 66 j.S > FFVCL > whatever. You'll probably get 180+ damage for free. Or fall back on 5H > j.H > Sdive > regular follow up.

I guess the strategy is lock him down first, or get knockdown and don't give him a 2nd chance. If you're locked down, it just takes 1 poke to get the advantage, and he's dead in 2 combos, even if they're both prorated out the ass because they're throw combos. Air throw his bursts! AIR THROW EVERYTHING! : P

I really need to learn the 5K > HCL 6FRC6 setup. It'll help my game so much right now...

Edited by TheRealBobMan
Added stuff

If he's doing SRK every time on wake up, simple note, dash, block > punish.

I absolutely hate this match, and you'll see even the likes of Koichi loosing this match.

My gameplan is to play defensively, try to anti air with 5p (you can do a massive damage combo with 5p, cs) or wait for a 2k opening. If I try to chase Chipp aroun the screen I'll loose without fail.

Snip

Maybe their something I'm not doing right but My relative chip always air throws me vefor i can do anything. Considering chipp movements is faster and I-no hitbox is biger airborn, I've been air grabbed about 80% air born. Maybe Im' jumping poorly but his pressure game is scary.

Also I'm surprise at any chip would do his rekka extend with out tension to spend. His slow over head can be FRC and Air FD to make it safe.

Hm... step back and analyze your play to see if you just jump too much, or jump stupidly. He's probably expecting you to jump to escape pressure, or go air to ground all the time on offense, which is how he air throws you so much. If you need to get out of pressure, instant block and backdash, or FD to push him out. If he whiffs an airthrow attempt like that because you stayed on the ground, he's flying across the screen doing a j.H, and you can punish that. If he does it on reaction, don't do whatever it is you're doing that's so easy to react to.

Keep space, and look for a good opportunity to get him to block a note iot get close.

If not:

Utilize Jp when you can into damage

Or

Set up for airthrow>oki> repeat

Or

Anti air into knockdown into oki

(catch him with Vcl, he can wind up crossing himself up in the air)

Doing anything that takes too long can put you in a bad spot

Keep in mind chipp wakes up a tad slower than other characters

Sign in to follow this