Sign in to follow this  
Lord Knight

Lord Knight's GAMEPLAY RELATED QUESTIONS ONLY thread (EX edition)

Stop doing j2C > jC > Sekkajin on block, not everyone will be hit by the jC. Also, you should obsessing over pressure and focus more on mixup, making people block all day doesn't win you games, you need to hit them.

That was actually an accident (Thanks online!) because I double-tap buttons sometimes to ensure the input goes through. Sekkajin requires 4 consecutive C inputs within a certain period of time. The j.2C and j.C count, and if I double-tap one or both, then it only takes one more press of C to cause Sekkajin. ~_~ It happens to me a lot online, and it's annoying as fuck.

Yeah, I'm not too focused on mixup. I occasionally go for crossover j.D if I think it'll work, but it's unsafe as fuck on block, and because my character hasn't turned around, I can't special cancel into j.236X (I theoretically can, but the swords won't go the right way and it will let the opponent out of blockstun). Something I've seen other people do and want to practice to get better at is going for max range 5C > IAD > j.236D for ambiguous mixup. I fail at the IAD though, which is why I need to practice it. Happen to have any other ideas for mixup? I realize you don't play Jin, but I imagine someone's pulled something on you that's worked and notable.

I get a lot of "You should press more buttons", "Be more aggressive", and "Just do it", but I a lot of times when I do this, I just end up running into to stuff, yet it seems like everyone else can herpaderp just fine. I don't understand. Should I just be like "I'm gonna do *Insert attack here* and it's gonna work.", or is there really a way to not so much randomly press buttons, but just go in and disregard what might happen?

If i may i have a question. as hakumen how should i go about litchi's straight through? im so use to air dashing around but if i'm in the air i'm dead so what should i do about this without just sitting and waiting for her to start it back up again?

Edited by CrisisEdge

LK, why do you wear sunglasses during your matches?

I occasionally go for crossover j.D if I think it'll work, but it's unsafe as fuck on block, and because my character hasn't turned around, I can't special cancel into j.236X (I theoretically can, but the swords won't go the right way and it will let the opponent out of blockstun).

You could cancel into B/C icecar to fly fullscreen. I'd imagine that's safe in some matchups.

If i may i have a question. as hakumen how should i go about litchi's straight through? im so use to air dashing around but if i'm in the air i'm dead so what should i do about this without just sitting and waiting for her to start it back up again?

Counter it on reaction? (Should work mid airdash too, yes? Or can Hakumen not cancel his airdash with a D?)

Counter it on reaction? (Should work mid airdash too, yes? Or can Hakumen not cancel his airdash with a D?)

I can cancel in d in the air but it has to much recovery I will get hit and if she uses the high follow up I will counter the first hit and get hit with the second so I don't know what to do about it if I'm against the wall

You can cut her staff.

If nothing else it'll probably make the Litchi more afraid to use it.

You can cut her staff.

If nothing else it'll probably make the Litchi more afraid to use it.

Ahh that does sound like a good point, thanks! ^_^

l believe after IBing the FIRST hit of straight through b, haku can kishuu (the command dash) to avoid the second hit. for straight through a, you can super jump or double jump to avoid it too. you'd have to do it early enough though.

actually IB is not needed to kishuu between the two hits, and it works against both ground followups, though I think the low one has a smaller gap.

also, D counters on the second hit are possible of course, but the counter animation won't reach most of the time unless litchi dash into it.

best overall answer imho is blocking the first hit and jump *barrier* over the second (you have to activate the barrier because it shrinks your hurtbox, otherwise the second hit won't whiff). this also works against both ground followups. you won't punish her but you get a free pressure string.

and of course if she goes into the stance too freely misjudging the distance, you can just get a free CH 3C (stance doesn't absorb lows!) from which you can get 3k+.

about the anti-air followup there's nothing you can really do besides trying to double jump over it if you still have that option... well I guess yomi j.D would work but risk/reward is stupid. just forget about air-dashing when she's holding the staff.

Edited by RushingMonkey

This thread harder to get to now...

Hey LK - How do I more effectively scrub Guard point? Lots of people calling it out and not all jump moves are being eaten. Are there any moves I should just NOT attempt it on?

How would I go about stopping myself from playing scared 90% of the time. It's been a gradual degeneration since CS/CS2

If you're airdashing at her and they try to shoot it at you, you can try to cut/counter it. However, if they are using the move properly, they will occasionally hold it, waiting for you to connect with the guardpoint before using the anti-air follow up. Hakumen has no answer to this besides not attacking in the air. If you're already in the air and they are in the stance, just try to land with barrier. Don't try to cross up with jB, the anti air follow up will hit you and pull you in front of her.

LK, why do you wear sunglasses during your matches?

Same reason as why people wear headphones - to keep myself from zoning out. The weight of them on my face keeps me focused.

Plus they look swaaag

This thread harder to get to now...

Hey LK - How do I more effectively scrub Guard point? Lots of people calling it out and not all jump moves are being eaten. Are there any moves I should just NOT attempt it on?

Just do it, that's why the move is scrubby.

You "can't" do it on air multi-hitting moves, but the only one that it really doesn't work on is Relius jA. You can beat Arakune's jB if ou just hold it.

--

Sorry everyone, I'll finish catching up with this thread in a bit.

Hey LK, how is Jin supposed to approach Litchi?

From what I can tell most Jins either wait for her to shoot her staff at them and then go for jumpins if they managed to avoid the staff rather than block it, or they run up and barrier, hoping for a B followup to Itsuu, which can be punished. Other than this... she seems unapproachable. What else can I do in this matchup to put Litchi under pressure?

So im pretty sure i saw this question posted before but after looking through the entire thread i couldnt find it.

What are some ways to improve on your ground game, I've noticed it while playing that i just feel much more comfortable when in the air. Alot of the time i approach with IAD (except against valk because his w.5B eats my air options for breakfast) and while this may work a few times better players pick up on it really quickly. I've been trying to force myself to stay on the ground more and i read something about trying to do matches w/o jumping but for some reason i just cant seem to get comfortable with staying out of the air.

I main Tsubaki if that has any bearing on the answer at all but i find i have the same problem no matter who i decide to play.

I recently picked up Litchi, and am finding her really fun. LK, from your perspective, what is the best way to approach her when you first start out learning? What things are a MUST KNOW, and what things can wait? And how would you compare her overall strength, as well as perhaps any possible similarities/extreme differences in her gameplay to my main character, Mu?

However, if they are using the move properly, they will occasionally hold it, waiting for you to connect with the guardpoint before using the anti-air follow up. Hakumen has no answer to this besides not attacking in the air.

actually, if litchi holds the stance and hakumen's j.B gets absorbed, he can still cancel j.B into hotaru and get FC on your follow-up. I land this shit pretty often against stance abusers :V I suppose litchi can hold the stance longer and absorb even hotaru, but it never happened to me.

Hey LK, how is Jin supposed to approach Litchi?

From what I can tell most Jins either wait for her to shoot her staff at them and then go for jumpins if they managed to avoid the staff rather than block it, or they run up and barrier, hoping for a B followup to Itsuu, which can be punished. Other than this... she seems unapproachable. What else can I do in this matchup to put Litchi under pressure?

You don't need to worry so much about taking a random ground non-CH midscreen hit from Litchi (unless she has meter). So, really you just need to catch her blocking.

Against stronger players, you shouldn't hope for random itsuuB's.

So im pretty sure i saw this question posted before but after looking through the entire thread i couldnt find it.

What are some ways to improve on your ground game, I've noticed it while playing that i just feel much more comfortable when in the air. Alot of the time i approach with IAD (except against valk because his w.5B eats my air options for breakfast) and while this may work a few times better players pick up on it really quickly. I've been trying to force myself to stay on the ground more and i read something about trying to do matches w/o jumping but for some reason i just cant seem to get comfortable with staying out of the air.

I main Tsubaki if that has any bearing on the answer at all but i find i have the same problem no matter who i decide to play.

Well, Tsubaki has a godly jCC, so it's fine to play in the air a bit more. If you want to get a better ground game, I think it might be helpful to consider why/what is so good about staying on the ground. For me, it's about how many more options I have when I'm simply standing still in one spot, rather than jumping.

1. Corner combos/near corner combos

2. Okizeme

3. Midscreen CH confirms/pressure/round starts/midscreen okizeme

4. Situational midscreen normal staff hits/Situational midscreen normal staffless hits/ad lib combos/Midscreen RC combos

Ordered not only by priority, but by difficulty to understand and perform well. I think it might be useful to learn a couple of midscreen RC combos early, but there are actually a ton of different variants.

Corner combos are pretty easy and straightforward to learn, once you get used to how they work and understand her combo theory. Near corner is just as important because Litchi can actually carry a decent distance with 2C > 4D. Okizeme only comes second because you need to know how to knockdown before you go set up okizeme, right? Anyways, corner setplay is a lot easier than CS1/CS2 (it's a bit like CT), and converting from mixup > combo is relatively simple.

After that, things get a bit tougher. As long as your on point, Litchi should be able convert all her midscreen staff counter hits into corner knockdowns. 5B[m], 6B[m], 3C[m], 2B[m], and 2C[m] all have some special properties on CH (if not just added hitstun). Combine that with guard points and CH Tsubame and you have plenty to pay attention to.

Round start is important for most characters, but it's especially important for Litchi because the right decision leads to corner knockdown. This goes hand in hand with knowing matchups, your opponent, and judging risks. Pressure, same thing.

Midscreen okizeme is simple, as there is only 2 real knockdown choices (techincally 3 but 3C knockdown is just meh) - DP or 4D.

Number 4 has the really hard stuff that I feel like only people who play the character exclusively can do well, and also contains the skills that set Litchi players apart. There are a bunch of situational normal hits, or random staff launch CH's, that you can convert into corner knockdown, but it takes experience to recognise the situation, and the confidence to go for the conversion.

Why did I mention combos so much? Because you need these hits to get them to the corner. Once you run Kokushi the round should pretty much be over.

I think Litchi might fit you well in the sense that she has very good, structured setplay like Mu but she can't really run around the screen and throw out whatever buttons she wants. She's an extremely strong character in the right hands.

Oh yeah, I actually forgot about this because it doesn't get done to me a lot, lol. It's why I don't only use guard point against him.

LK, how much do you think Ragna players should rely on pure fundamentals as opposed to bullying the opponent with certain Ragna-specific options (e.g. extremely strong j.C, kara throws). I understand that it depends on a player's individual play style and that you should use everything available to you, but do you face more problems fighting extremely solid Ragnas or those that abuse the stronger aspects of the character for higher risk/reward?

Hey LK, I am a casual/new blazblue player that only gets to play once a week, but now that it is summer time i have a lot more time to play. What are some fundamentals that i should be working on? How do you learn to play footsies and spacing at neutral? and how do you get better as a newer/ more casual player that hasnt been playing as much? Should i be netplaying a lot or practicing combos in training mode?

and how do you get better as a newer/ more casual player that hasnt been playing as much? Should i be netplaying a lot or practicing combos in training mode?

There needs to be a sticky for this stuff, but I shall channel LK for this:

Yes.

:P

Seriously. In order to get better, you should do all of the above (In no particular order):

Go to your local gatherings if there are any. Try to interest your friends.

Netplay, while understanding what is different about Netplay.

Practice in training mode.

Go to touraments.

All of those have benefits. Playing offline makes you better at playing the game in its 'correct' state, with no delays that do things like make Gauntlet Hades nearly impossible to block. Netplay, so long as you understand its shortcomings, will give you a far wider scope of matchup and player style experience than you'll ever get by just attending your local stuff (And let's face it - it's a lot easier for a lot of people to sneak in an hour of netplay in the evenings than it might be to travel to a local event every evening - even if there were a nightly event, which there probably isn't. Any playing is better than none.) Training mode improves your execution, particularly on weird situational stuff that you won't get a chance to practice that frequently in real matches. And going to tournaments supports the scene and gives you a chance to play with good players .

Edited by Airk

I hope this is a straight forward question, so here goes.

Let's say that I'm playing as Jin and I'm pressuring my opponent. I do 5B, 5C then jump cancel into j.B and j.2C and blah blah blah. They would naturally see me jump after 5C and block high, right? Why is it that if I were to jump cancel 5C, do nothing, then air-dash before I land and do something like j.2C and j.D, it works more often than it should? I think Ragna has something similar where he ends his corner combo with a 3C and jump cancels that. If the opponent neutral techs, Ragna can airdash j.C, j.D and pick up a combo from that because the opponent would usually be blocking low.

Why is it that most people end up blocking low if the pressuring opponent does the airdash low to the ground and do an air normal? Is it similar to how sometimes you would do a landing j.B as Ragna and go straight into 6B since most people are trained to block low? Or is it because when you air-dash before you land, people think they should block low because enough time has passed for them to block an air normal while standing up, and it's time for them to block low since they had enough time to land and do a low attack?

Another thing I don't get is how running into the opponent and then doing a DP or a throw-invulnerable move works. Like, I would land a 3C knockdown as Jin, the opponent techs, I run into him for about a second, then do a 6B. The opponent usually tries to throw break and I jump over that and land a CH 6B. Or I do the same thing as Ragna but do a DP instead.

Sorry if I'm making these questions more complicated than they already are. I want to know exactly why a lot of people fail to counter these even though they should be really simple to block. Like, the mindgames behind these mix-up tricks?

Stuff

It's like this: if you don't do an air attack, you could land (jumping in with no attack is called an empty jump) from the empty jump and do 2B, which will catch them low when they're blocking high. So, people usually switch blocks back to low after a period of time. Good players won't switch blocks so quickly, but lower level players might be lured by a sense of rhythm. For example, let's say you jump cancel and always attack with j.B at about the same time. By repeatedly blocking that string, the player acquires a rhythm of switching back low after a period of time, so when you alter your attack pattern they just go back low instinctively and get hit.

A DP or throw invulnerable move vs throw mixup (throw whiff mixups) works because throw break is the same command as throw. So if they weren't thrown and they input throw they will throw and then get hit by the DP or throw invuln move. Basically, it works on people who don't throw break on reaction. Why don't people just throw break on reaction? Well, doing such a thing is honestly harder than it sounds, due to different situations and set-ups. People claim they can throw break on reaction but they still get thrown all the time. One situation where you might throw break as a read is if you're about to die and you read a throw. Why not throw break instead of risking getting thrown cause you didn't react fast enough?

There's an extra layer to do where people can OS their throw breaks (1 A+B+C). This protects from throw whiff mixups because they barrier instead of throwing but you can purple grab them for a Throw Reject Miss right after.

Edited by Fluck