Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SansProtocol

[CSE] Hakumen vs. Makoto

Hakumen VS Makoto

General Strategy

This is mostly a footsies match. It's like fighting Ragna. You'll spend lots of time jousting at neutral, until one of you screws up and gets thrown into the corner. You'll want to stay back and chisel away at her health as she attempts to get in. Then, when you get a knockdown, you can use all the stars you stored up to go in hard. Like fighting Noel, Makoto has high mobility, and has moves that will let her completely avoid yours, like her 3C.

You want to either be in her face on offense, or have her at just 5B and 3C range.

Long Range

Just sit tight and gain stars. She can't do anything from long range. She might try to throw orbs, but just cut them.

Mid Range

This is where the meat of the matchup occurs. In fact, there are two slightly different mid ranges that give either party the advantage. If she's in Haku 3C or 5B range, then you have the advantage. But if she's just outside it, she has the advantage because she is more mobile and will be able to quickly get in if she makes you whiff a move or makes the right read. A lot of Makotos will hover just around this range. At this range it will come down to guessing and who baits what.

Kishuu Enma will go through her 6C and 5B.

She will try to get in with a combination of either 3C, IAD j.C, or slowly working her way in. She can also use 6C, which throws Makoto forward, to initiate an attack from outside your range and hit you.

Zone and play footsies until you gain knockdown, then go in on her.

Close Range
Haku on Defense

If you're on wakeup and she does the orb, just counter it. Makoto has a setup where she can do the orb and dodge your counter, but it's still worth doing because that just puts her back where she started. If she tries this, use 6D instead of 2D as it is more likely to catch her.

If you feel confident of your reflexes, block out her pressure until she goes for 6B or 2C, then counter. Otherwise, wait until she gets pushed out, then poke out with 2A or jump out to give yourself space.

If she does j.2C, don't try to anti air it, either air throw or counter with 5D.

If you block any of her D moves, then that's the end of her pressure. You can punish them.

Haku on Offense

Hotaru will beat her DP, and 2B will beat it as well with proper spacing.

Use lows to beat her parry.

Watch out, she can punish your 6B with her fastest 5A if she IBs it.

Your Best Tools

3C: Beats her parry and her own 3C, stops aggressive attempts to get in.

5B: Much faster and safer to poke with than 4C, but still has a deceptively long range.

2B: Beats her DP, has long reach, is fast and safe.

5C: A lot of Makoto's jump ins have hitboxes that are too big to hit with 5A, and with spacing that interferes with 6A. 5C will beat these, but you have to do it a little early.

5A: Useful as a standard anti air, but loses to her jump ins. Use it to catch attempts to jump out, rather than defense.

6A: If she just jumps right at you, 6A her. But her j.2C will give you a hard time.

5D: A lot of her moves will put her back in charge if you block them, or are hard to beat, like j.2C. Use 5D to counter it instead.

Air Throw: Another good counter to j.2C.

Hotaru: Beats her DP outright, but watch out, she can delay it slightly to beat Hotaru. If she does that, catch her out of it with 2B until she stops.

Kishuu: It will go through her 6C and 5B.

Reversals

Has a DP?

Yes. Her DP has invincibility, but you can beat it with Hotaru. However, she can slightly delay it to beat Hotaru instead. To counter this, catch her with 2B until she stops.

Alternatively, a well spaced 2B can beat the DP too.

Her astral is also a good reversal that will either clash or beat Hotaru. If you smell it coming, then just block or counter / Yukikaze it instead.

Things To Look Out For

Haku 6B gets punished on IB.

Makoto 3C will cause a lot of moves to whiff.

Her parry beats non-low attacks and is dangerous against jump ins. On that note, be careful against her 6A, it can combo even on trade.

A lot of Makotos like to use that giant punch distortion to punish whiffs from full screen. Be careful what you throw out when she has 50 heat.

Can I just say one thing. If a Makoto is willing to throw 50 heat away for a super as bad as BBS for anything outside of combo extension without the intension to kill should quit this game.

Can I just say one thing. If a Makoto is willing to throw 50 heat away for a super as bad as BBS for anything outside of combo extension without the intension to kill should quit this game.

Its funny you should mention that...

Might as well throw in that her wind up punch distortion (Particle Flare) has enough invincibility to beat Hotaru. It's been used as a reversal.

How can u be so mean D:

Alcohol makes me speak the truth. Also PF will most likely beat anything in the game (even bursts) but 720 if timed properly but no Makoto in NA uses it out of knowledge they just throw 50 heat away and hope it works or mash it in pressure.

Someone should post that one video "Particle Flare beats everything" that was made ages ago. I can't find it anymore.

BBS doesn't seem that bad as a full screen punish. I can see her using it against Lambda. Lambda throws out a 6D or something, bam BBS to the face.

Found it:

Its bad, such a slow startup and leads to nothing. I'd much rather use that meter for a Mars Choper reset or DP RC or anything but a BBS, at least I'll get something good out of it.

Yeah, it's just something to watch out for if you're both almost dead and you're trying to throw a j.C out there or something.

Bibi, I need to play you again, but I don't play BB much anymore, lol.

Mac, sorry for the late reply. That looks good after a quick perusal, though.

General idea in EX is that Mak's dmg isn't what it used to be, so you can zone/space her like you should have back in CS1. She used to be broken, but now it's Hak's advantage.

6-4 matchup, imo. Mak needs to do some lifting to win.

It feels more like 5.5 to me.

As for Asteroid Vision, I didn't say anything because I'm pretty much in the same boat as every other Hakumen. Naruto mixup 2 strong