Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SansProtocol

[CSE] Hakumen vs. Lambda

Has Lambda been buffed?

I played my Lambda buddy last night, and it seems she's a bit hard to deal with. That, or I haven't payed any good Lambdas recently.

Ok, I won't deal with the technicals of the matchup here since I forgot them or something, so here's the general strategy in bulletpoints:

- Figure out his pattern for throwing out swords, and cut them to gain some stars, or as an entry buffer.

- Some obvious counter spots are on her ground saw, 6D, and that overhead special thingy. The counters are, respectively: 2D mash, 5D, and 6D/j.D.

- Be patient, moreso than any other matchup. Only strike when the opportunity presents itself. You will lose otherwise.

- Entry is not obvious. Your best bet is a slow advance with some quick (s)jump/kishuu/hop/IAD action at points. Push them to the corner.

- Once in the corner, she can escape very quickly because of her fast dash and Cavaliers. Her air options are not as strong, so cover the ground game and catch air exit attempts.

- j.B is gdlk for random midscreen CH/hit. Best way to capitalize on midscreen mistakes, imo. Always carry to the corner.

Overall:

This is a fairly merciless matchup for Haku. Either you play flawlessly, or Yandere girl's gonna cut you up. The best advice I can give here is to practice, practice, and practice again your matchup execution until it's second nature. Then you have to develop a Zen-like attitude to the match, and only take the opportunities that present themselves. Anything else is fatal.

If you can have that kind of iron discipline, you will destroy 99% of Lambdas. Guaranteed.

Difficulty: depends on your discipline. Patience is and always will be your best ally, and you are your own worst enemy. Mistakes will cost you.

Matchup: Eh... Hard to say. I think it's fairly even since Haku obliterates her hp. 5-5, imo.

Has Lambda been buffed?

This is a fairly merciless matchup for Haku. Either you play flawlessly, or Yandere girl's gonna cut you up. The best advice I can give here is to practice, practice, and practice again your matchup execution until it's second nature. Then you have to develop a Zen-like attitude to the match, and only take the opportunities that present themselves. Anything else is fatal. If you can have that kind of iron discipline, you will destroy 99% of Lambdas. Guaranteed.

Matchup: Eh... Hard to say. I think it's fairly even since Haku obliterates her hp. 5-5, imo.

1) Not really. Any direct buffs for her are balanced by her nerfs. It may have been the change to how barrier blocking works that made it feel different to you.

2) Well, this is exactly how Lambda would play the match-up, so you wouldn't probably wouldn't destroy that many Lambdas (although you would beat a fair amount).

3) Even seems good. Although I do need a lot more Hakumen experience myself.

Against good Lambdas you can't just wait for an opportunity to present itself; the Lambda will just gladly time you out. You have to make the opportunity and force the situation.

fight your way to about 2-3 char lengths away, then you both get to guess!

either you kishuu enma through her 5D, she guesses on your kishuu and 2B/3C's you, you predict that she'll hit 2B/3C so you 3C her, she wants to play it safe and backdashes, which means you can pursue with an IAD, or she can just stand there and 2D your IAD

I hate this matchup, it forces me to actually play a fighting game.

Lambda's 3C beats Haku's at the max range. Or at least at the starting round distance.

Well, not so much beats, but that it has a longer reach if you're not spaced properly.

Actually, now that I think about it, it might beat it because her hitbox retracts during the beginning of the move, causing 3C to miss. I've certainly been hit out of it a lot when both of us went for 3C at the start of the round even though Haku's 3C is supposed to be faster.

1) Not really. Any direct buffs for her are balanced by her nerfs. It may have been the change to how barrier blocking works that made it feel different to you.

2) Well, this is exactly how Lambda would play the match-up, so you wouldn't probably wouldn't destroy that many Lambdas (although you would beat a fair amount).

3) Even seems good. Although I do need a lot more Hakumen experience myself.

Sweet, you can hit me up for matchup exp. I should start playing regularly again because stuff happened that was favourable for that.

Anyway, yes, you will destroy Lambdas. You're forgetting the psych side of things. If you're capitalizing on opportunities while not letting him get a single hit in, it's frustrating for the Lambda. He starts making more mistakes or taking unnecessary risks. It's in the bag, yo.

The good Lambs that won't fall for that and stick to their gameplan are rarer. Even then, having a tight defence and a good eye for poking holes in their strat will carry you pretty far.

Against good Lambdas you can't just wait for an opportunity to present itself; the Lambda will just gladly time you out. You have to make the opportunity and force the situation.

Definitely. I certainly didn't imply just sitting on your ass and waiting for stuff to happen; you have to take a proactive approach. It's just that when you see an opportunity, you have to take it, and so long as you can capitalize on these opportunities, you're golden.

For example, you jumped in, and she does 2D, but it just barely whiffs. You have the opportunity here for a low IAD into j.B -> corner carry. That's the kind of stuff I meant.

fight your way to about 2-3 char lengths away, then you both get to guess!

either you kishuu enma through her 5D, she guesses on your kishuu and 2B/3C's you, you predict that she'll hit 2B/3C so you 3C her, she wants to play it safe and backdashes, which means you can pursue with an IAD, or she can just stand there and 2D your IAD

I hate this matchup, it forces me to actually play a fighting game.

But those are the joys of top play, mon ami. It's about the mind games in the end. :kitty:

Sweet, you can hit me up for matchup exp. I should start playing regularly again because stuff happened that was favourable for that.

Anyway, yes, you will destroy Lambdas. You're forgetting the psych side of things. If you're capitalizing on opportunities while not letting him get a single hit in, it's frustrating for the Lambda. He starts making more mistakes or taking unnecessary risks. It's in the bag, yo.

The good Lambs that won't fall for that and stick to their gameplan are rarer. Even then, having a tight defence and a good eye for poking holes in their strat will carry you pretty far.

Sure. Let's try playing sometime.

And my point was more that Lambda should be doing the exact same thing to you. She should play it safe, capitalize on opportunities and not let you get a hit in. You are essentially doing the same thing, except she is better full screen, they are equal midscreen and Haku is better close range.

Good sir, are you still playing on xbl? If so, I could use a cheap Lambda sparing partner. Anyways, my main problem in this matchup is improving on cutting her projectiles like the axe wheel (to avoid unblockable pressure) and spike chaser (to avoid a guard crush).

In my opinion, 4C works best for Spike Chaser because its' range and the void appears higher. For Sickle Storm, I would use j.2C. 3C can work as well, but a up-back j.2C will protect you from air approaches that 3C would not.

4C against Spike Chaser can hurt you too. Sometimes Lambdas set it up so they anticipate my 4C and hit me with their 4D when I'm cutting the Spike Chaser. Not sure if that's a timing thing, but just something to be aware of; it's mostly a nuisance. I like using 3C to cut it.

4C against Spike Chaser can hurt you too.

It hurts their play style a lot (moving around breaking your primers). Learn to time, when they use the fullscreen version, the projectiles startup is much slower so you could end up eating a counter hit if you don't time it right.

Sometimes Lambdas set it up so they anticipate my 4C and hit me with their 4D when I'm cutting the Spike Chaser. Not sure if that's a timing thing, but just something to be aware of; it's mostly a nuisance.

They do it intentionally actually. It's happened to me before.

I like using 3C to cut it.

Even more unsafe I would assume. You could go for 7/8/9j2c when it approaches, 7/8/9j2a, and if it is spaced right; IAD j2a/j2c, which could cause fumajin to blowup in her face for free damage.

7/8/9 jumping positions depend on the spacing of spike chaser. Though IADj2a>IADj2c, and 7/8/9j2c>7/8/9j2a.

1 the timing of 4c vs SC is just dumb. you are losing potential ground by doing that regardless, it places the barrier at an odd area that you need to move into instead of just falling straight into it with a falling j2C or j2A.

2 the timing of 3C vs full charge Sc is kinda arguable because its completely distance based. 4C and 3C are dangerous at near max to 3/4th range of the screen. 4C will hit you before you can recover but theres not much she can do afterwards. like nothing.

even then at mid screen you can 3C then Ib it. either you will only have time to block at the last second (causing an ib) or just Ibing it because you know its coming.

how a pro lambda plays this match:

6D

6D

6D

Gravity Seed C

4DD>236D~C

6D

6D

6D>236D~C

6D

6D

6D

5D

6D

IAD Back j.2D

6D

6D

Iad Back j.D

True story :v:

well thats just how I play now and I'm blowing mac up pretty well. Most of the time anyways, when he doesn't break through my 6Dtoostrong wall

I don't know why I've been having so much trouble with it lately. Well, outside of lag blowing up my execution.

Its because of my random ass fuck mixup and 6D walls :v:

and you don't play against many lambdas if the first place probably. ;P

Toan, hex, and me are pretty much the only good lambdas on all of XBL

I probably play against Lambda more than anyone on Dustloop. :v:

that 6B 3C mixup 2 strong

we should get more matches in for the science of this matchup. I'm on wired connection again in a week so we can actually do stuff in a match then.