Sign in to follow this  
Honnou

I-no vs Potemkin

:PO: POTEMKIN MATCHUP INFORMATION Poking Game Avoid using moves that are not jump cancellable. Being able to jump away is critical for dodging hammerfalls (HF). Also special cancelling moves on reaction into stroke the big tree is useful against HF as well. HCL will hit him out of moves 3/4 of the screen away(such as a mistimed F.D.B, hammerfall during the break animation etc.) BUT IS NOT A GOOD "poke". Potemkin can dodge HCL by simply crouching, or by using hammerfall + break to get closer and closer. Strategy Specific Punishes On defense: IB Pot 2k->2s, backdash the 2s before it hits, the closer you are to him, the higher the chance you can punish (i.e. corner). At the very least, you escaped, and the next move is a guessing game. Learn Pot's common strings and realize 2k, 2s, 2d is common and 2k, 2hs, 2hs at close ranges for 2hs blockstun->hammerfall/slidehead, so you can avoid getting tagged by the next move. Setups/baits Knowledge Edited by Honnou

double 5p or dashing double j.p answers hammerfall easy for unporated damage. shut down hammerfall and you tk notes safely. short dashes keep you safe from heat. following a frc note isn't the best idea in the match, your dash can get caugt by heat and the note basically gives potemkin a free rc for big damage. He might also just decide to hammerfall you, but a dashing j.p or 5p can take care of that. If you are just out of pb distance during PO's pressure, he WILL 2S you, look for it and IB it because you'll be able to backdash anything but a hammerfall and 5p anything but a 2d which really gets you out of what could potentially be an insta-loss... all I got...

bait his flick by throwing notes (around) him. zone with hcl poke around. alot getting hit by anything is like dizzy city once you force a knockdown do very safe mix up...meaty vcl frc works very well...or even better, meaty note. dashing j.k is really good in this match.. OR get a health lead run around....kill him for trying to get to you!!!!. tensionless pot = dead pot.

No more WOW spam. Back on topic: I've been playing in japan for awhile now and all I-no players know how important her okizeme is. The one big problem with pot is that if you fuck up on that oki, you can lose the entire game. If you a safe move such as hover dash j.s, and he backdashes, you have to just keep going. If your original plan was j.s, j.d as a mixup, and you land and hit 5d, ggpo. Make sure to "block confirm". If you do HD j.s, pot backdashes, you can just dash j.s again and go into a combo, you can also just mash punches and go into a HCL knockdown note and restart oki, etc. A lot of times when I read pots backdash I just keep dashing into him and j.hs when appropriate and combo from there. How do you guys like to address the issue?

Hello Honnou! You brought up an excellent question! I don't play Ino but I'd like to share a technique I use in situations like this. Unfortunately it's kind of hard to describe so I'll try to draw up some kind of graph. In the meantime, how's everything else in Japan? I heard it's the secret cheating way to multiply your skill by 10x.

No more WOW spam. Back on topic:

I've been playing in japan for awhile now and all I-no players know how important her okizeme is. The one big problem with pot is that if you fuck up on that oki, you can lose the entire game.

If you a safe move such as hover dash j.s, and he backdashes, you have to just keep going. If your original plan was j.s, j.d as a mixup, and you land and hit 5d, ggpo. Make sure to "block confirm". If you do HD j.s, pot backdashes, you can just dash j.s again and go into a combo, you can also just mash punches and go into a HCL knockdown note and restart oki, etc. A lot of times when I read pots backdash I just keep dashing into him and j.hs when appropriate and combo from there.

How do you guys like to address the issue?

what if he back dashes to bait a dash THEN uses heat fist??

Yeah that makes a lot more sense-- you can even hit confirm and FRC the VCL on reaction if he blocks, so it's still safe if pot guesses right. Just a shot in the dark, I'd have to try this out: land and auto-JI 2S could come out slow enough and have enough range to catch pot in his backdash recovery. If that works out it's still part of her high/low mixup and gives you a free combo on hit/free pressure on block (HCL FRC air-dash etc). Just a thought. [edit]Nevermind, totally doesn't work. D:[/edit]

i wouldn't go for it move is too fast for something like that delayed sstbt far slash the delayed jumping dust >> vcl and if you are in the midscreen meaty hs notes

(corner, 156damage , 25% tension) 6P Hs jS jHs diveS cS jS jHs diveD Hs diveP diveK (I think you can do this one against almost everyone... i'm not sure (since i'm not at home to test it) but i think you can do [jS jHs dive S cS] two times on potemkim...) edit : also found this one : (corner, 164, 50% tension) 6P Hs jS jHs Chemical FRC air dash jS jHs DiveS cS jS jHs Dive D Hs DiveP DiveK

few things: backdash to avoid slidehead you can throw him out of his backdash stbt(h) goes under the flick you really don't need tension combos to win, short gattling mixes into a cl knockdown work best plus give you time to use a tk p note as oki use your tension to be safe, if for some reason you blocked gattling into a cl don't be afraid to frc into a reverse airdash. if you do dash forward against a blocking potemkin use d-dive as a last chance bail out or tap slashback to drop the dash. roman cancel your dives. hdive into a throw or another dive throws people off. 2h builds gaurd bar like no tomorrow, especially when followed by STBT(H) combos: midscreen into corner with tension IAD UF JS JH HCL FRC AD JH PDIVE SDIVE 5K HCL 226 Damage midscreen IAD UF JS JH HCL FRC AD JH SDIVE 5P 5K HCL 220 Damage (gaurd bar build of JS JK) 2S 5H HCL FRC AD JS JH CS JH HCL FRC AD JS VCL 5H JH KDIVE 238 Damage THROW FRC JS JS JH HCL 74 Damage (gaurd bar build of JS JK) 2K 2S 2H 2D HCL 87 Damage (gaurd bar build of JS JK) 2k CS 2H 2D HCL 90 Damage DUST (DELAY) VCL HOVER JS JS JH SDIVE 5K HCL 112 Damage corner THROW FRC JH PDIVE AD JS JH CS JS JH *KDIVE 89 Damage (you can add another rep if you use SDIVE instead but it only adds 6 damage totally and the timing is pretty tight. I wouldn't bother without a glowing gaurd bar) AIRTHROW 2K CS SJ JS JH PDIVE JS JH PDIVE KDIVE 104 Damage 6P 5H JH SDIVE CS 5H HCL FRC AD JS VCL 5H JH PDIVE AD JS JH KDIVE 188 DUST JH VCL 5H JH PDIVE JS JH SDIVE CS JS JH KDIVE 142

you avoid slide head by jumping when you are full screen you spit tiger knee notes around potemkin if he flicks any projectile up close you block the flick in the air because he will use that as a chance to score a knockdown with slide head if he reversal backdashes your oki, keep going, don't stop. don't hcl too much halfscreen because he can hammerfall through it. don't use stbt that much unless you are on oki or if he hammerfalls. short simple combos on potemkin. save your tension unless you hit him with something big, which probably won't happen too often.

if he flicks any projectile up close you block the flick in the air because he will use that as a chance to score a knockdown with slide head

actually you can STBT under the flick, FRC the STBT, and throw him out of slide head.

Shame that PO wasn't that good (at least according to that vid performance). He got 5p 5s against airborne i-no multiple times and didn't follow up with heat/(air combo)air pot buster, or anything for that matter. Shame pot didn't push i-no more to the limit. I met aki-tan a few times and he can take down people way better than that.

what is good AA in that match-up? i know that potass is unbeatable, but his j.S also give me a troubles. that move has good range and 50/50 beat my 6P with CH which lead into good dmg.

also what to do when he jump over fullscreen note.

best way/move to bait backdash? STBT? tk H dive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAUw9WR0Q2o

need help

Edited by Horokei

As far as AA vs. Potemkin is concerned:

- Forget about trying to 6P any of his jump-ins. It'll trade badly for you (as you pointed out) more often than not against j.S, it might occasionally score a lucky clash with j.D but that's a best case scenario and a rarity to boot. Fortunately, Pot's aerial approach is fairly predictable insofar as you should have a good grasp of when he's going to use j.D as opposed to j.S/j.HS/whatever.

- Against obvious j.D (Pot should be pretty much right on top of you), your best answer is usually to jump into it and IB, then punish the landing recovery (a throw is virtually guaranteed, from some heights you might be able to hit him with 5P >> whatever >> 2D xx HCL but that's a bit more risky)

- Against other aerial approaches, you've got a few options: AA airthrow puts you in a good position as it knocks down, otherwise you can challenge it outright with an early j.P if you react quickly enough to the jump itself. Buffer in j.P xx j.HS if you smell the counter-hit and hit-confirm into either 236S or HCL depending on height; if he blocks, you can cancel j.HS into P-Dive and continue pressure from there. j.6P+HS is particularly strong here, as you'll either get an AA airthrow or a j.P if you're out of range.

Baiting Backdash:

- HS note is a godsend on oki in this match-up. Try to end any tensionless midscreen combos with 2D xx HCL, as that'll set you up perfectly for meaty TK.214HS.

- You really have to milk your post-knockdown 50/50 for all it's worth in this match-up, because random backdash >> Potemkin Buster limits your options for resetting blocked pressure severely. Make sure you're mixing up your approach; for example, hoverdash IAD strings like j.KSK can be backdashed and punished, but hoverdash IAD >> late j.D xx VCL will hit the backdash's recovery and make the pot player a bit weary of abusing reversal BD.

- There are a number of simple option selects you can employ as well. For example, meaty j.S~PK; if Potemkin blocks, you'll get j.S j.K (which is decently strong mix-up on its own) and if he backdashes, you'll get a whiffed j.S and an immediate 5P when you land, catching the recovery of the backdash. There's a ton of OS stuff I-no can do and it's certainly not limited to punishing backdashes.

Misc. Match-up Notes:

- Play super-patiently, stay on the defensive at neutral. HCL/tk note over slidehead, drop HS notes on Pot's head so he can't flick them. Try to shoot for a knockdown via HCL and begin your pressure off a meaty note.

- Against 6HS xx slidehead traps, either backdash the 6HS or IB, either is basically a free ticket out. You were actually doing a good job of not getting hit by stuff like that so you've pretty much got that covered.

- The only time I'd ever use reversal super in this match-up is against meaty Mirror >> slidehead unblockable traps. Remember that it has no throw invincibility and can even be FDB'd if the Pot player is really reading you hard.

- While it's a lot easier said than done, don't make mistakes that lead to you getting knocked down. I-no definitely has the tools to win this match-up, and what it really boils down to is that you have to be constantly reading and outplaying your opponent. Have enough mix-ups stashed away so that you don't have to show them the same thing more than once over the course of a set. Try to stay a step or two ahead at all times and generally opt for safer options if you ever have any doubts. This is true for any match-up really but it's all the more important against a character like Pot who can kill you for losing momentum once.

- Basically everything that everybody else in this thread has already said.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by Tilde~

Sign in to follow this