KayEff

BlazBlue Question Thread - Ask your questions here!

Boy; Somehow it never occured to me that "First hit only" could be used to test for frametraps like that. That's super handy, because I need to practice delaying gatlings for frame traps, and trying to record the dummy blocking for a while and then mashing and playing that back was...not working out.

First, I suck.

I think I don't know the best times to use a burst, and I need help. I'm a Lambda player, so I like zoning. The times I feel a burst can be used:

Round 1;

Get out of the corner. (Rarely)

Get out of the corner when the enemies health is low.

Round 2;

Get out of the corner, no matter the health of P1 or P2.

When health is low.

Put someone in the corner. (Rarely, I mean really rare!)

That's really the only time I use a burst. But I think I might need help. Any better suggestions?

Get out of the corner. (Rarely)

do this more if you know the combo won't end well with you. not entirely restricted to corner, but more helpful in corner cases.

Get out of the corner when the enemies health is low.

don't do this. if your health is high, just take the damage and see what happens after that. if your health is low, you can decide on whether to use the burst or saving it for next match. if you do the first option, you might end up wasting the burst by dying afterwards.

Round 2;

i don't even know why you decided to revolve your burst strats to rounds

Get out of the corner, no matter the health of P1 or P2.

this is bad, especially if the corner combo is not particularly a high damage one. save the burst for times when you REALLY need it, such as being in a corner combo where you know it'll do a lot of damage.

When health is low.

if you're winning, i'd save it. if you're losing, then by all means. just be careful of any burst baits.

Put someone in the corner. (Rarely, I mean really rare!)

i personally like doing this, but it sometimes backfires on me. be careful on when you burst in times like this.

generally, you'll want to be careful on which moves to burst. many moves in extend are safe on hit and allow the opponent to block the burst if done correctly (and there's always the hard burst bait). you'll also want to burst in combos that you know by heart will do a lot of damage and/or will put you in a clear disadvantage (such as Carl's unblockables).

There are several reasons to burst.

Naming credit to the MI anime scene™.

The "Grendy burst"

This is when you burst immediately after getting hit with an overhead. This is mostly an angry "I swear I blocked that", but sometimes, more justifiably it's because you don't want to lose your positioning-a common reason to burst in general.

The "Insurance burst"

This is when you burst to maintain or salvage a positive situation, per say to keep your opponent in the corner, to keep them from going on an overwhelming runback, or even to halt any momentum when they are at low health. Yes, bursting your opponent into the corner counts as this, just make sure it's a CH burst.

The "Oh shit burst"

This is the most common burst you'll see. This is for when you're eating unwanted damage or eating damage that would secure the round/match for your opponent. Basically a second chance to run it back.

The "Zoner's burst"

This is what you would do when you resolved yourself on not getting touched, and you got touched. Despite the name, not exclusive to zoners, just in any footsies or spacing situation where you've been compromised.

I tend not to burst in the first round no matter what. I personally feel like having 2 Bursts if advantageous no matter the outcome of the first round. If you won without bursting, your opponent is going to have a hard time, if you lose, you have a better chance to run back.

Skye nailed it. I tend to use the "Oh shit burst" a lot.

I tend not to burst in the first round no matter what. I personally feel like having 2 Bursts if advantageous no matter the outcome of the first round. If you won without bursting, your opponent is going to have a hard time, if you lose, you have a better chance to run back.

Skye nailed it. I tend to use the "Oh shit burst" a lot.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that (although I tend to do it on netplay for a different reason...).

If you and your opponent both have low health in the 1st round, and even better if they already used their burst it'd be in your best interest to use that burst if it means you'll win the round with the next possible hit. This is especially true if you're fighting someone who you think might be "stronger" than you or if the match-up is bad, you should probably take any round you can get.

Saving your bursts for the 2nd round after already losing the 1st doesn't do much good if you just get trounced in the 2nd as well, more so since it sets you up easily to get guard crushed if you aren't wise about using barrier. Then when you get into the same scenario as I described in the 1st round and manage to pull the round out, you're then going into the 3rd without a burst anyway. Compared to going into the 2nd round (with a round already won) without a burst and a chance to win the match outright.

This whole thing changes in BBCP however as shown by Hakumen who will use OD immediately to gain meter. The same could be applied to bursting the first time you get touched early in the round. If the round drags on, chances are you'll actually get your burst back anyway. So in a sense this tactic is more viable come BBCP.

Basically the decision to burst is based on a number of factors (These are not really in any particular order):

#0: Is it the last round? Obviously, if you're going to lose the match if you don't burst, no other factors apply EXCEPT maybe #5 - nothing is more hilarious than letting your opponent "bait a burst" by dropping a combo that would've killed you when you don't burst.

#1: How much damage the combo is going to do - when your DP just got blocked and your opponent Fatal Countered you into the corner is a better time to burst than a combo that starts with three jabs, midscreen.

#2: How much health you have - there's very seldom any reason to burst when a combo is going to leave you with 40% health or more. On the other hand, it's also not really a good idea to burst when you've only got 5% HP or less remaining - unless it's the last round of the match - because it's too easy for your opponent to land a tiny random hit and kill you anyway.

#3: How much health your opponent has; If your opponent still has a mostly full health bar, you probably want to save that burst, whereas if he's almost dead, well, my opinion is the opposite of Yukiblue's - I think it's always better to be up a round than up a burst.

#4: How "invested" your opponent is in the combo - if Hakumen just went into a Mugen combo (heh) or if Ragna is comboing into Blood Kain, they've spent a bunch of resources that'll be lost if you burst. (And, of course, it's probably going to be a big ugly combo to boot.) Even if it's something like, say, Jin just spent 50 heat to combo out of his overhead, that's a bunch of resources he's burnt, so bursting there becomes somewhat more attractive than, say, bursting the same combo in the same situation where he's comboing off that overhead as a result of a counterhit instead of spending meter.

(#5: Super special factor - how likely your opponent is to bait your burst. Your opponent is doing all the same "math" as you are, and they may decide that you're going to burst, so they'll deliberately 'drop' their combo just so they can block your burst and hit you again. This isn't possible in all situations, and it can be tough to learn which ones it is and isn't, but it's possible to psych out your opponent by not bursting at an obvious spot because they expected you to burst and dropped the combo to try to bait it. This is fairly high level stuff though, so don't sweat it too much for now.)

Edit: Most of this stuff is said with the current burst system in mind, and may change with CP.

keep in mind too, that if you save 2 bursts for the second round (or third) and use both defensively in the same round, you are going to end up w/ (depending on your character) 1 or 2 guard primers, putting you at a very unfavourable position. I'd say refrain from doing that unless you are really desperate.

Wasn't "Canada Burst" when you burst waaaay the heck up at the top of the screen? :P

"Control Burst" - Bursting to maintain control of a situation because you ran out of offensive gas and the opponent got to start a new turn.

Usually does not pay off. If you find yourself doing this you need more experience, ideas, and execution.

The implications of actually having your burst are important too!

Access to gold burst/overdrive is pretty huge, as well as swaying people away from doing install/costly combos. For example, if you burst during a blood kain combo, ragna ends up losing a lot of life due to life drain. If you burst during tsubaki's mugen combos, she ends up with no stocks. That makes investing in those high damage options pretty risky (most of the time this prevents people from going for them unless they want to take the trade)!

Edited by not_lunaris

The XBL Burst - Burst the moment you get hit, even if it's just a raw 5A at the start of the round.

In seriousness, while still starting out you should only use your Burst to escape for bad situations or to prevent a loss. Even more importantly, never use a Burst after an enemy's hit. They will be able to RC or just JC and block your burst if you do. Always wait til you see them performing the startup of a move before you hit Burst.

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

I'm surprised nobody mentioned wakeup gold bursting. Especially since it happens a lot.

Anyway, I'll just stick with my own brand of bursting.

"Grendy burst"

Haaah.

I don't think it's been stated anywhere else but some times it's best to just save your burst for the next round. A for instance would be when it's 0/1 in your favor and you are getting your ass handed to you. In a situation where you are at 25% life and your opponent is at 75% some times it's just better to lose the round and have both bursts on the final round.

I am laughing so hard right now.

Edited by Lunar_Divider

> I don't think it's been stated anywhere else but some times it's best to just save your burst for the next round.

I used to think that way, but usually bursting twice in the 2nd round is just going to get you guard broken. It's better to just burst in the first round and try to run it back.

The XBL Burst - Burst the moment you get hit, even if it's just a raw 5A at the start of the round.

In seriousness, while still starting out you should only use your Burst to escape for bad situations or to prevent a loss. Even more importantly, never use a Burst after an enemy's hit. They will be able to RC or just JC and block your burst if you do. Always wait til you see them performing the startup of a move before you hit Burst.

Laughing my head off. I'm starting to notice that the XBL players aren't as good as the PSN players. Right??? Too bad, I'm stuck with the Xbox for now.

And what you said after the first line, thanks. I do that when my health is low, and they do somehow block it, I don't know what it is. They practice for hours? Heck, I practice for about 3 hours a day. On my PSP, I'd practice for about 4 hours a day. I can still never do things these well.

> I don't think it's been stated anywhere else but some times it's best to just save your burst for the next round.

I used to think that way, but usually bursting twice in the 2nd round is just going to get you guard broken. It's better to just burst in the first round and try to run it back.

If CP (in a way p4a works the same as well, but haven't played that) comes out, i think it won't be better to save your burst since it recharges over time

I was more referring to gold bursting for a high damaging combo, but that is true. Blazblue has a lot of risk involved in any situation though. So it really depends on your priorities.

I'm starting to notice that the XBL players aren't as good as the PSN players. Right???
Thats arguable actually. Live has some superb players too. It's not that PS3 has better players but that the community is more active so you'll generally find more people of varying playstyle and skill. Edited by Lunar_Divider

Haaah.

I don't think it's been stated anywhere else but some times it's best to just save your burst for the next round. A for instance would be when it's 0/1 in your favor and you are getting your ass handed to you. In a situation where you are at 25% life and your opponent is at 75% some times it's just better to lose the round and have both bursts on the final round.

I pretty much said that in my super long post! :P

Yes, but you can save your first round burst AND still not be put in this situation by:

A) Winning round 2 and only using one burst, thereby leaving you with one for round 3, whereas if you'd spent one in round 1 and still lost, well...

B) Using one of your bursts as a gold burst instead of a green burst. Wakeup goldburst is almost as good as a green burst defensively, and can swing the match just as much.

My friends are starting to get into Blazblue and fighting games in general, but are 100% convinced that there is no difference between CT,CS,CS2,CSE and CP besides characters and "tweaks", and that they can basically play CS and disregard the rest of the franchise.

How does one explain the difference between these games to newbies?