KayEff

BlazBlue Question Thread - Ask your questions here!

No! Kokonoe is B tier now you hear me! B TIER! THEY GOT RID OF ALL HER MIXUP!  CS1 RACHEL ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

And other things heard in the kokonoe forums....

No! Kokonoe is B tier now you hear me! B TIER! THEY GOT RID OF ALL HER MIXUP!  CS1 RACHEL ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

And other things heard in the kokonoe forums....

The humorous thing about this is that for once, there's no real room for "Oh, she's ALWAYS going to be good because of her design" nonsense. 

You should really go through the game's tutorial mode if you are having problems with things like that. But you just hold any button that's not the drive button(D) and you should immediately get up as soon as you are able. Or mashing should work just as well.

how do i get up? i am pretty much done when my opponent knocks me down, especially in the corner...

Don't roll, just get up and block.

how do i get up? i am pretty much done when my opponent knocks me down, especially in the corner...

Don't roll, just get up and block.

Blocking is your safest bet.  Most players get blown up because they constantly feel the need to immediately reversal or escape oki, which is exactly what the attacker is expecting... 

Blocking is your safest bet.  Most players get blown up because they constantly feel the need to immediately reversal or escape oki, which is exactly what the attacker is expecting... 

Nah, reversals and escapes options and guesses are all risks that aren't always bad. It's all basic knowledge for any game, know your risks on wake up and pick your options. If you're getting blown up every time though, you're probably just rolling or guessing all the time and not blocking. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nah, reversals and escapes options and guesses are all risks that aren't always bad. It's all basic knowledge for any game, know your risks on wake up and pick your options. If you're getting blown up every time though, you're probably just rolling or guessing all the time and not blocking. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm simply speaking from a vantage point of having limited defensive options, because for the most part I play aggressive offensive characters.  I will agree, however, that reversals/escapes aren't a bad idea to have on hand, but be wary of using them.  It's sort of a chess match: you score a knockdown in the corner, I have a DP/Zanshinn etc.  Most of the time it's better to have you wary of the tool as opposed to frequently using it.  The risk you run off of eating a 4-5k Fatal combo is usually enough for me to escape due to your more passive gameplay, and when you get comfortable in your oki pressure, it makes having that option much better for me....

Yo, don't suppose anyone has any idea on why the colours 22,23,24 and the extra themes and stages haven't showed up on EU PSN yet?

Kinda assumed they would be ported over right way especially since the US version has them (and I believe still has them) and since the US branch of Arc was supposedly responsible for bringing it over to the EU PSN in the first place, would kinda make sense if you know what I mean?

Whats the deal? unless its another case of EU getting the shaft again :/

I've been trying to get my colored square to rank up. I heard that it only changes playing people of your square, so I've been doing that. After having quite a few matches (~20) and winning most of them, nothing changed. Instead, I've beaten, sometimes even completely wrecked people, and then seen them again immediately on the ranked match menu with a ranked-up square. What gives?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Is there some secret to how IB works?  I try to do it like Just Defend in Garou MOTW (hit back as soon as the move hits) but that doesn't seem to work.  Do I have to stop blocking and then hit back to guard the next move?  

Yeah, IB works by releasing block then blocking within 5 frames of the next move (I think? 5 sounds right). You cant just tap barrier when they attack fo IB sadly. People say its best to start off IBing multi-hit moves (IBing is glorious against Nu sword spam super).

Speaking of IB, why does holding down back then hitting neutral -> back result in a backdash? You dont get a backdash from hold back -> neutral -> back and it can mess up my IB's. No way around it im assuming?

It's because a downback input is really down + back, two separate inputs. The game sees that first back input, along with the second back, and interprets it as a backdash.

It should do the same with just holding back to block and going to neutral -> back real fast.

I have a theory about this downback > backdash thing.

I think you sometimes get a backdash because you can't always exactly release the d-pad/stick from the downback position perfectly. Your finger will always slide one way or the other, either into the down position or the back position, before completely letting go. When you take your hand off of the D-pad it probably reads another back input, like so: Down+Back > Back > Neutral > Back, which causes a backdash to come out.

I have a theory about this downback > backdash thing.

I think you sometimes get a backdash because you can't always exactly release the d-pad/stick from the downback position perfectly. Your finger will always slide one way or the other, either into the down position or the back position, before completely letting go. When you take your hand off of the D-pad it probably reads another back input, like so: Down+Back > Back > Neutral > Back, which causes a backdash to come out.

Yeah i was just about to post this. Just tested it and this is what happens. You release down back and you release the down microswitch just before the back microswitch, so it reads a fresh back input and pressing back again results in a backdash. So a backdash is 454 instead of 5454. I dunno if there are benefits to a 454 backdash but it has messed me up.

Ok I got 2 questions, first one is against characters that seem to have really air tight block strings what am I suppose to do? I feel like for a characters that don't have a DP or strong reversal game I usually feel like I have to hunker down and try not to get hit and hope that barrier blocking can create just enough space so I can do something about it, I do know that instant/instant barrier block helps a lot but I never can attempt when I play online. ):  I usually see some people do like micro dashes or dash in but I dunno if that's a cue to try and interrupt the block string.

Second question, a fair number of players always seem to wake up pressing some normal and most of the time I seem to get beat out by it and I don't know why that is the case, I'm suspecting that I'm not hitting my normals soon enough and my opponent is mashing on a normal and I get hit out of it or something like that. 

I seem to run into the above problems when I play online really, when I play offline with some people I don't really run into these problems. 

Ok I got 2 questions, first one is against characters that seem to have really air tight block strings what am I suppose to do? I feel like for a characters that don't have a DP or strong reversal game I usually feel like I have to hunker down and try not to get hit and hope that barrier blocking can create just enough space so I can do something about it, I do know that instant/instant barrier block helps a lot but I never can attempt when I play online. ):  I usually see some people do like micro dashes or dash in but I dunno if that's a cue to try and interrupt the block string.

Could you name some of the characters you are having problems with, and maybe some of the moves or strings they are using against you? It pretty much depends on the character you're facing when it comes to dealing with their pressure. But there are no infinite blockstrings (besides Kokonoe and Relius to a degree), so there's always a way out if you know what to look for.

Are they jump cancelling to stay in your face? They can be anti-air'd.

Are they chaining into moves that are heavily plus on block (usually +3 or better) and using them to reset pressure? Usually these moves are slow, unsafe and can be mashed out of before they hit you. However, some characters can burn meter or a specific resource (doll meter, wind, stars, etc.) to say in on you and there's not much you can do without a reversal.

Are they micro-dashing in after certain attacks and resetting pressure/ using stagger pressure? Barrier them, or better yet, Instant Barrier to push them away or make normals whiff. (Note: You CAN mash 5A/2A against a person using stagger pressure. Sometimes you'll get lucky and hit them when they are trying to dash in. But that's exactly what they want you to do, and you can end up eating some nasty frame traps into big damage.)

Second question, a fair number of players always seem to wake up pressing some normal and most of the time I seem to get beat out by it and I don't know why that is the case, I'm suspecting that I'm not hitting my normals soon enough and my opponent is mashing on a normal and I get hit out of it or something like that.

I seem to run into the above problems when I play online really, when I play offline with some people I don't really run into these problems.

Yeah that's probably just the input delay messing up the timing of your meaties. That happens in lag all the time and you just have to try and compensate for it. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten wakeup 360'd because of this lol.

Could you name some of the characters you are having problems with, and maybe some of the moves or strings they are using against you? It pretty much depends on the character you're facing when it comes to dealing with their pressure. But there are no infinite blockstrings (besides Kokonoe and Relius to a degree), so there's always a way out if you know what to look for.

Are they jump cancelling to stay in your face? They can be anti-air'd.

Are they chaining into moves that are heavily plus on block (usually +3 or better) and using them to reset pressure? Usually these moves are slow, unsafe and can be mashed out of before they hit you. However, some characters can burn meter or a specific resource (doll meter, wind, stars, etc.) to say in on you and there's not much you can do without a reversal.

Are they micro-dashing in after certain attacks and resetting pressure/ using stagger pressure? Barrier them, or better yet, Instant Barrier to push them away or make normals whiff. (Note: You CAN mash 5A/2A against a person using stagger pressure. Sometimes you'll get lucky and hit them when they are trying to dash in. But that's exactly what they want you to do, and you can end up eating some nasty frame traps into big damage.)

Yea sure I'll mention some scenarios I've had to sit through. So against Nu for example, I feel like she's able to sit in ranges where I really can't do much about her normals plus the D swords. Getting pressured by the D swords isn't that bad but I usually start getting weared down by her C normals and sneaking in overheads is what really gets me. I find it worse in the corner cause Nu can use a lot of things to keep me there. Against a character like Litchi, I usually am just getting constantly hammered by staff attack and the range of her normals. I play against someone locally also where he uses Litchi to keep some constant pressure like that and sit's in ranges where I can't really reversal out either (say like using Ragna's ID). I'm also running into similar cases with Platinum but I think that's mostly cause I don't have much match up experience really. I should mention for the Nu and Litchi stuff they don't jump cancel cause I notice when people do that's usually my cue to get out or do something about my current situation. Against someone like Rachael I usually have to take the pressure cause of george shocking me and I have to start trying to guess and look for instant overhead stuff and that's a nightmare to deal with. >>

Nearly forgot to mention a lot of times I seem to almost seem to run out of barrier.

One thing that helps a lot from my experience is to check the wiki for key moves that'll leave them at enough of a disadvantage that you can either punish with 2A/5A or at least beat their next move with it. The visual aid makes it easier to spot than other games that usually only give frame data. This is useful against matchups/characters you don't get to play that often. Then in the match, I just try to chill and wait and look for those moves in the string before I act. It's a gradual process and the results aren't instant, but shit does get a lot easier to deal with over time.

Re: Being out of Inferno Divider range: Being out of reversal range usually means you have enough space to interrupt with one of your faster normals or at least block/barrier to get enough pushback to escape the pressure.

And yeah, getting used to a particular character's pressure strings and seeing the legitimate gaps that you can interrupt/punish does take a while sometimes. Sometimes you also just gotta bite the bullet and let them get close enough to counter assault out so you can regain space and positioning.

So another question occurred to me while, if I want to do something about the pressure I'm in, say like poke in between strings, should I not have barrier up for that? I know barrier blocking leaves you with an extra frame of block stun so wouldn't that mean you wouldn't be able to counter poke as easy cause of that?

So another question occurred to me while, if I want to do something about the pressure I'm in, say like poke in between strings, should I not have barrier up for that? I know barrier blocking leaves you with an extra frame of block stun so wouldn't that mean you wouldn't be able to counter poke as easy cause of that?

Depends.  The thing about barrier is that it will force an opponent to have to close the distance somehow, sooner or later, and whatever method they choose to use to do that is going to consume more than 1 frame of time.  The PROBLEM that arises is that you don't always know WHEN that moment is going to be.

Stuff

Hmmm...For pedestrian Nu corner pressure she's probably doing these things (in Luna mode, the one with the halo):

Keeping you in the corner with strings like Stuff > Spike Chaser > 2D - This can be difficult or impossible to jump over, especially if you're playing patiently. You pretty much have to look out for Nu to stick her hand in the ground, then dash > 5B or use Izayoi's 236C. BUT be careful, because they can also do the quick, un-charged version.

Making you block Sickle Storm (the buzzsaw that comes from the ground) - As long as they're not using it as oki, you can forward jump over Sickle Storm and counter hit her for a free combo. Sickle Storm works after they get you too scared to jump. (NOTE: The startup for Sickle Storm and Spike Chaser looks really similar, so you might think you're going to jump over Sickle Storm but jump right into Spike Chaser instead (and vice-versa))

Getting pushed back, then using 6D/5D to catch your jump out/dash attempts into a combo or more pressure - Similar to what Hazamas like to do with his drives in the corner, Nus will do a string, make it look like you can jump out, then catch your jump with a 6D. I don't know what to say about this except resist the urge to jump when it looks like there might be an opening. After they whiff the 6D, most Nus will IAD back to try and escape a punish, but at least they let you out of the corner.

Will any Nus let me know if something I said is stupid? This is my best take on how to deal with her corner pressure, but I might be pretty yolo lol.