KayEff

BlazBlue Question Thread - Ask your questions here!

I don't even know what this means; Are you trying to teach them, or are you trying to beat them? Because those are two different goals with different methods.

If you want to have a "real match" with someone you are trying to teach, no, you shouldn't go easy on them, but if you're explicitly trying to train them, then yes, you should, unless you are trying to suss out what they need to work on.

The original question was "what goes through your head when you face someone and realize they're a new player?"  

I was playing devil's advocate, which is why I said that.  If you know the person beforehand, then yes, in some way you go light or with a sub, but if it's a random, I say go all out.  Now that I read that again, I see how confusing that seems LOL  sorry about that....

Oh; Yeah. Context is my friend.  Correct. If you are just playing people in matches, I don't really suggest "going easy", though it might be a good time to try some of that stuff you're not 100% with yet. (Combos you sometimes drop or have trouble remembering to confirm, unusual meaties, or whatever).  That way, they don't get quite as rolled, and you get some valuable practice. :P

This is gonna be a bit random of a question and I dunno if anyone has the answer(s) but here goes nothing. So with CP out on Vita now, does anyone know how well it functions with a PS Vita TV? By function I mean things like is there lag when hooked up to an asus, does plugging a stick into it have input delay and such. Though I'm getting the feeling that it may not have stick support... But still curious either way.

Yeah wondering about Vita TV too - is two player possible? I'd love to throw it in my backpack and bring it to my dive bar. Unhooking and lugging around PS3 and resetting everything to work with CRT TV is a pain

I don't think a Vita TV can do anything with a CRT, at least from what I read its main display output is HDMI and didn't mention anything else about display.

VitaTV only does HDMI out, which is also HDCP on it. It's just like a Vita, you can only do one player on it.

OK, I read Vita TV supports 2 controllers for Ps1 classics only. Bummer. I suppose if I were really so inclined, I could connect the Vita to Vita TV using Ad Hoc mode and do two player that way, but that would require either two physical copies (Haha), or one digital copy installed on both systems.... At which point I should probably just suck it up and bring the PS3 to the bar for anything that isn't SF Alpha 3

A few questions about moves with landing recovery:

- Is there a way to cancel landing recovery? Would there still be landing recovery after you RC Mu's j.2c (10f) on hit/block? Or when landing with Tsubaki after j.D (9f) > air dash > j.C? I'm under the impression that aside from possibly RCs, you're stuck with it no matter how many actions you make between the move with landing recovery and touching the ground. And that once you touch the ground, you are unable to move, block, or attack during the landing recovery duration. So how is my mashing losing to Izayoi's ground throw after a GA dash in air throw whiff.

- Does landing recovery apply if you land before going into the move's active frames? For instance, if Hakumen used j.C (3f) too close to the ground and landed during its startup, would he still have the 3f recovery on landing?

- Is landing recovery cumulative? For example, if I used multiple moves with landing recovery in one aerial sequence, like 236a (3f) > j.D (9f) with Amane, is the landing recovery 3f, 9f, or 12f? 

1. i believe you can remove landing recovery by RCing the attack, probably with OD cancel as well. Double jumping and air dashing probably won't remove it.

2. don't know

3. i don't think it's cumulative, probably either the longer recovery attack, or whichever was done last, you can probably test it with the playback feature's timer

1. i believe you can remove landing recovery by RCing the attack, probably with OD cancel as well. Double jumping and air dashing probably won't remove it.

2. don't know

3. i don't think it's cumulative, probably either the longer recovery attack, or whichever was done last, you can probably test it with the playback feature's timer

1. Tsubaki's j.D landing recovery is not removed by double jump or air dash.  RC I think would remove it considering j214C > RC> 6C works.

2. don't know

3. Yeah either longer recovery or the last. Not sure what char can actually test this. with tsubaki the last one is also the longer recovery one (JD (9f)> J214C(31f or something))

I think you do still have the landing recovery if you land before the active frames. Tested it with Kagura j.C.

1. Tsubaki's j.D landing recovery is not removed by double jump or air dash.  RC I think would remove it considering j214C > RC> 6C works.

2. don't know

3. Yeah either longer recovery or the last. Not sure what char can actually test this. with tsubaki the last one is also the longer recovery one (JD (9f)> J214C(31f or something))

You can probably test using Tsubaki since most air throws have 3F of landing recovery.  So like, j.D > Air throw?  Might be a little tricky to test 3F vs 9 frames, but I have confidence in you guys.

Landing recovery is of the last move you performed before you landed btw. This is why Taokaka can combo after 6B xx j.236B(w) but not after just 6B. The j.236B has less landing recovery.

Edit: Since the move never becomes active I guess that answers your second question as well.

On the topic of how to play against new players, I figure I'll add my two cents. I have lived in Japan for the last two years, but in quite a rural area. There are arcades, but most of the time there is no one there playing fighting games. When there was someone there one of two outcomes would occur: I would beat them rather handily and they would leave the arcade, with me having learned nothing from beating them. Or, I would die in three combos in a row, with each combo ending in a complicated oki set up I didn't know how to deal with. Once again I learned very little. I did learn something, but at 100 yen (a $1 a play) these were some very expensive lessons. This was before CP was on consoles, so really my only way to practice was at the arcade. So, I basically stopped playing fighting games for over a year. Now that I am moving back to America in a week I picked up CP again and am looking forward to joining my local scene and actually learning the game in an environment that is conducive to it.

As for a question of my own, in fighting games I generally love characters with strong footsies. As a result I've been messing around with Ragna, Azrael and Relius lately. Anyone else I should be trying out? Any recommendations.

So in Japan, when you go to the arcade, is there a membership you can buy that lets you play at their arcade for the month or something like that, or do you have to pay each time you play a game?

So in Japan, when you go to the arcade, is there a membership you can buy that lets you play at their arcade for the month or something like that, or do you have to pay each time you play a game?

Nope, you pay each time you play, with 100 yen ($1) being the base line for most games. Most games have a card that saves your record or whatever, but there are no membership options. I got into a game for a while (10v10 third person mech game) that was 500yen ($5) for about 30 minutes of playing. Don't really want to think about how much money I put into that game.

It's no real surprise that arcades are dying out as cellphone games claim more and more of the gaming market in Japan. The newest machine I saw in the arcade was Puzzle and Dragons, basically an arcade machine with a giant touch screen monitor emulating the cellphone game. You know things are getting bad when that starts cropping up.

Yeah I was disappointed that you couldn't put money on the card. Seems like a no brainer. but Cash Society. They don't even use debit/credit cards outisde the way we do.

Buying a car via slapping a wad of bills on a table is definitely one of the more surreal moments of my life.

Buying a car via inserting a wad of cash into a vending machine would possibly be more surreal.

On the topic of how to play against new players, I figure I'll add my two cents. I have lived in Japan for the last two years, but in quite a rural area. There are arcades, but most of the time there is no one there playing fighting games. When there was someone there one of two outcomes would occur: I would beat them rather handily and they would leave the arcade, with me having learned nothing from beating them. Or, I would die in three combos in a row, with each combo ending in a complicated oki set up I didn't know how to deal with. Once again I learned very little. I did learn something, but at 100 yen (a $1 a play) these were some very expensive lessons. This was before CP was on consoles, so really my only way to practice was at the arcade. So, I basically stopped playing fighting games for over a year. Now that I am moving back to America in a week I picked up CP again and am looking forward to joining my local scene and actually learning the game in an environment that is conducive to it.

As for a question of my own, in fighting games I generally love characters with strong footsies. As a result I've been messing around with Ragna, Azrael and Relius lately. Anyone else I should be trying out? Any recommendations.

I would recommend Litchi (tha gawd) and Hakumen

Meh; I disagree with lumping "everyone else" together into A tier. I refuse to believe that, say, Hakumen and Tsubaki are in the same tier.  So otherwise, all it does is call out the obvious outliers. Whoopee.

Tier list for BB:CP 1.1?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/680197-blazblue-chrono-phantasma/69151556

BS or no?

I rather have a match up chart tbh.

If not legit, what the tier list?

BS. Valk, Tao, Hakumen and Relius are not in the same tier as Bullet, Tager, Izayoi and Platinum.

Whoever made this list should be constantly supervised.

Okay; Enough of this nonsense.  It is time for my definitive tier list.  No sorting within tiers (Actually, there is, it's alphabetical).

S: Azrael, Kokonoe, Litchi

A: Carl, Hakumen, Hazama,Jin,Mu,Rachel,Relius,Tao,Valk

B: Everyone else

B-: Makoto (I remain unconvinced she is THAT much worse than the other indifferent tier characters in the game. Actually, I think there's a stronger argument for moving a couple of other characters out of B and down into B- than there is for moving Makoto lower, but YMMV.)

Tier List discussions may now be officially closed, especially if they involve links to gamefaqs. :P

Your list seems more legit then the usual S A B we see everywhere. Sorry but no way characters like bullet are on the same tier as Rachel. And Makoto really is that bad sadly. She is just way too honest at everything in a game with a bunch of frauds.