KayEff

BlazBlue Question Thread - Ask your questions here!

Well, the netplay stages are Altar, Colosseum Silent and Old Gate. (Mostly Colosseum Silent, but it bores the crap out of me and the others are fine).  All mechanics are relevant though some moreso than others for any given character.

For combos, you probably want to learn:

• A 5B starter combo (basically a 'normal' combo)
  • A 5A starter combo (a 'short' combo)
  • A 5C starter combo (a 'punish' combo)
  • A throw combo
  • An anti-air combo

Yes, that's a lot, and that's ignoring midscreen vs corner, air throw combos, and any character specific resource stuff.  It's kindof a pain. :P

If my play experience is any indication, there are still a fair number of beginners kicking around netplay, but very few utter newbies.

Edited by Airk
Spelling of 'altar' x.x

Cool, thanks.  Next question is does anyone use the Player Base list?  I used them for Xrd & P4AU, and will try it w/BB as well.  For Xrd/P4AU, I sent invites to 30 or so people in my region (mentioning I'm from Dustloop using the Player Base list), would get a response or two, but the skill level would be completely random.  It'd be great if general skill level was in each of the lists, but I guess that'd be too much at this point.

Cool, thanks.  Next question is does anyone use the Player Base list?  I used them for Xrd & P4AU, and will try it w/BB as well.  For Xrd/P4AU, I sent invites to 30 or so people in my region (mentioning I'm from Dustloop using the Player Base list), would get a response or two, but the skill level would be completely random.  It'd be great if general skill level was in each of the lists, but I guess that'd be too much at this point.

I don't use it but I probably should. I just haven't played much lately and I'm starting college so I probably won't even be as active. Yep, better if I don't use it at this time lol

Hello! I have a question about 1/4+ABC OS. Do I need to press and hold it?

Cause I sometimes get Throw reject miss during pressure

maybe it's because I sometimes mash this combination instead of holding? I just also got used to barrier-ib, during block strings, so my input maybe a little messy 

So please tell me how exactly I should do? Just hold during pressure? Or does it work only on wake up?

also is there fuzzy-jump OS so I can jump out during holes in pressure?

Throw reject miss are precisely why this OS doesn't work as you would like to.

No, holding it doesn't do anything (except using your barrier). You have to press it just after you get thrown (or block something)

Why is this OS useful then? Because at the very start of the throw animation, your brain didn't analyze yet if you are thrown or if your opponent pressed a button. So to prevent any harmful event, you just press 4 ABC and it will cover the 2 cases.

That's it, there is no magic anti-throw OS like in SF4 or KOF.

Edited by Zouf

It's best to get used to holding ab only outside of suspected throw situations (wake up, when you are recovering from stagger state, any time you aren't in block stun and foe is within 2a range and can throw you at that time). You only need to tap abc when the time is right otherwise it just doubles as a risky barrier.

Edited by TD

Hello! I have a question about 1/4+ABC OS. Do I need to press and hold it?

Cause I sometimes get Throw reject miss during pressure

maybe it's because I sometimes mash this combination instead of holding? I just also got used to barrier-ib, during block strings, so my input maybe a little messy 

So please tell me how exactly I should do? Just hold during pressure? Or does it work only on wake up?

also is there fuzzy-jump OS so I can jump out during holes in pressure?

You get TRM'd because you missed the "throw tech window" (not the window where you can tech a throw (green/purple), but the pre tech window before the throw comes out essentially)

The concept for OS throw is using it when a throw is supposed to be coming. so an example is like AB > ABC (causes a barrier to flash.) and if you get throw and done correctly you immediately tech the throw, if you miss you get TRM'd!

The window is pretty small so practice it I guess. otherwise always try to react to the throw tech window when you get grabbed (16 frames or something like that as opposed to hovering somewhere around a 3 frame window)

There are ways to deal with OS'ing a throw on offense, one of them is Ragna doing 5A whiff > throw or just walk up 2A > throw. stuff like dat

Fuzzy jump is 171AB/171ABC

I'm new to the game & going through character tutorials to decide on mains/subs & understand matchups before trying vs.  Have been watching videos for months while waiting for a chance to get the game.

Inputs I can't do (maybe they're not that important anyway).  I'm glad I could skip ahead without needing them complete, because I didn't want to kill my thumb (pad).  Rather than post in multiple subforums...

Astrals for Tager, Bang & Carl.  Astrals aren't practical, so I can live without these. 

Tager, Bullet, Koko 720s.  Have had trouble w/this since the motion was invented (SF Alpha 3?)  Not too important guess.  I'll demo it in challenges for fun.

Haku 6D.  Weird, I did it, but it doesn't connect (character tutorial).

Haku 66, j214C (2nd part doesn't happen)

Haz 641236D, Coils.  Not important; I'm not maining or subbing him. XD

Valk has a misprint : Wolf 236 C & j236 C wasn't the correct move; it was throw. 0.0  Love that animated av in the post above me. Thanks for any replies.

Edited by indie_animator

I'm new to the game & going through character tutorials to decide on mains/subs & understand matchups before trying vs.  Have been watching videos for months while waiting for a chance to get the game.

Inputs I can't do (maybe they're not that important anyway).  I'm glad I could skip ahead without needing them complete, because I didn't want to kill my thumb (pad).  Rather than post in multiple subforums...

• "Astrals aren't practical": Sorry, Astral Heats are practical, but it depends on the character. For example, Izayoi, Azrael and Yuuki Terumi can easily confirm into their Astral Heats from nearly every attack. That becomes important if your opponent is barely under 25% health and they still have their Burst or getting their Burst while they are caught in a combo.
    Example: You play Azrael. He has 100% Heat and your enemy is under 25% health and has Burst. He/She Instant Air Dashes to you and you catch him/her with Azrael's 5B (his upward swing). The only methode to get a combo which is inescapable is to use his Astral Heat, which has a very far reach.
    Other characters can use their Astral Heats as punishes, like Makoto against zoners, or as a punish if their opponent is too aggressive (Hakumen's and Noel's Astral Heats are counters, for example).
    From the characters you have listed, Bang's is the most useful, since it has Guard Points and is an unblockable attack, which even goes through counters (even Hakumen's Astral). Second is Tager's because of its very high magnetic attraction, which is comboable and can catch opponents of guard. And it is a grab.
  • Regarding 720s: If you want to learn Tager, Bullet or any other grappler, you have to learn this motion, since it is one of their main damage sources. It is inevitable. However, Bullet as well as Tager have attacks or setups where you can input both full circles during it. In Tagers case: 63214D > (enemy hits you) > GETB.
    Kokonoes circle motion is her Astral Heat, which is a grab, so you can use it after a wake-up or during your pressure. And you have an advantage over arcade stick players if you play on a pad because the circles are smaller on a it. Of course this becomes neglectable on higher level, but it is at least something.
  • Hakumen's Drives have different durations when they can counter attacks. 5D is very fast and can be holded, while 6D takes some time until it is active. It is also important how far away your opponent is. The counters only works if the opponents hitboxes are in his reach. So it is useless to counter Hazama's chains if he is not in your range.
  • The timing is quite difficult because his airborne time his very short and you have to input it very fast. That comes with the time after some training.
  • Mhhh... you know have to go first into his stance (214D) before you can perform this attack, or?
    And if you have problems with the 632146 motion: sorry, but many character have at least one attack with this motion in their repetoire, so this is essential to learn.

So, if your question was regarding motions and practicability of specific attacks, the answers are above. If it wasn't your question... well, at least it will help somebody.

Beside all this, hope you enjoy BlazBlue! You should also take a look at Platinum the Trinity if you played Teddie in Persona 4 Arena. They are both quirky and Platinum's playstyle is similar to Teddies because she/he uses different items which are randomized like him/her/...its.

So, if your question was regarding motions and practicability of specific attacks, the answers are above. If it wasn't your question... well, at least it will help somebody.

Beside all this, hope you enjoy BlazBlue! You should also take a look at Platinum the Trinity if you played Teddie in Persona 4 Arena. They are both quirky and Platinum's playstyle is similar to Teddies because she/he uses different items which are randomized like him/her/...its.

Thank for the reply.  I wrapped up tutorial & took on challenges (17% total, but at least I got 40% with Tager).  Yeah, I'll try Plat a bit too.

Haven't tried a vs. match yet; been doing all the single player stuff.  I'll try somehow getting 720s (been trying for many years).  If not, I'll just play w/o them. 

Oh, I have no trouble w/632146 motions, it was just the position & timing of the move afterwards in the tutorial.  Very minor thing.

I'll keep what you aid about Astrals in mind.  I generally didn't try them in P4AU & Xrd, but can see how Haku's could be quite useful in its simplicity.

Contrast that one w/Tager's motion. XD  Ha, it's fine though.  Like the challenges: I can't even do one for Rachel.  But it's cool.  I'll keep slowly improving. 

Edited by indie_animator

Unlike P4U and (maybe? Xrd, Astrals can be pretty dang useful. Relius' 214214D A.K.A "Get em' grrl" A.K.A. "The flypaper" is his best reversal barring the meter spent to use it and it's unfavorable recovery. Bang and Tager's astrals are just flat out unblockable and can be used in some silly blockstrings or set-ups to where it cannot be avoided  by the majority of the cast. Azrael's can be confirmed from his 5A or grab. Really if you can close out a match with one it's well worth it to do so every time. It's not priority one but definitely do learn when they can be applied.

Hey I was wondering,

what should I do after bursting full screen? I'm a Rachel player and it seems as though everyone just wants to run up to me and abuse me afterwards :(  I was just wondering what I should mainly be doing in that situation, see what they do next? Space normals? 236A kinda works for me cause of how fast it is but I just wanna know in general what I should be doing after a full screen burst.

When you're full screen and you use a burst to make your opponent fly across the screen, What should I be doing next? As it seems most people I play just take advantage of that opportunity to run up to me full screen and pressure me. EDIT: Ignore the quote btw, didn't know how to deal with it.

Edited by Baba

It depends on the character's mobility. Because people are scared of pumpkin, yes, they're going to run in right away if they can. For characters that can't, summon pumpkin. For characters that are going to run in, be prepared to answer for that.

An example is you can 6B their approach or 236A (be careful of people avoiding it) if they're coming from the ground. If they're coming from the air you can run up and 6A their airdash, or air grab them. You can also run away.

Edited by Kuuhaku

After a fullscreen burst with Rachel, you first need to consider your wind gauge and the character you are fighting against. Without wind, pumpkin is out. Everything else can be used though that would take away the risk. The character you're fighting depends on if they have fullscreen tools, how fast they are mobility wise.

after the burst you can:

summon pumpkin - easy, sets up other plays, instantly makes the neutral your advantage in many matchups. Needs wind, doesn't beat everything/loses to certain angled approaches/negated by some characters, needs good hitconfirming.

summon frog - defensive summon, gives slight advantage to Rachel, sets up other plays sometimes, forces foe to kill or jump over it making their attacks predictable, not wind intensive but can use as such. Certain characters can kill him or deal with him easily, some characters get advantage dealing with him, some characters can punish your recovery on quick rise

236a, b, c- a is safest, b and c for if they turtle. Sets up frame traps which leads into other plays. B and c plays can backfire easily: c lobelia can sometimes be rolled and Rachel will lose her advantage. 

Sometimes it's better to hold off or just do something simple and play the neutral with one summon after the burst until you can get a hit in and your wind and mind games on point. 

The character you're fighting depends on if they have fullscreen tools, how fast they are mobility wise.

Yea, I know im def not gonna wanna do it against Hazama cause that command grab. Can't think of anyone else I'd have to watch out for fullscreen, maybe Haku? Noel? Ragna? Though i'd only have to worry about their supers if im getting predictable.

Edited by Baba

How do you play back something you've recorded in Training?  I wish fighting games had tutorials on using training or at least explained it in the manual.  :(

I recorded the CPU doing a jump attack using L1, then press L1 again, then again to get control back of my guy.  But searching through all the menu options, and pressing L1, I can't find a way to play back the recording.

Up til now I've just been practicing combos, but after reading the LK article, I figured I'd try to add something to my training.  I can playback in Skullgirls by going into the single page of options & choosing playback.

Ah well, thanks for any replies.  

Press l1 twice, record, l1 one last time. The first l1 takes control of the dummy. Whichever button you have to playback, I have r2 for playback and l2 for record, can set them in button settings, the last few button macros at the bottom.

Question about defending against Nu/Lambda. When they have you caught in sword strings, I get how to block most of the swords, but the one that appears behind and above you, I assume it counts as an overhead and can be blocked in the same direction? (intuition tells me that holding towards my opponent to block isn't a thing, but projectiles coming from behind are kind of confusing in that respect.

Question about defending against Nu/Lambda. When they have you caught in sword strings, I get how to block most of the swords, but the one that appears behind and above you, I assume it counts as an overhead and can be blocked in the same direction? (intuition tells me that holding towards my opponent to block isn't a thing, but projectiles coming from behind are kind of confusing in that respect.

Blocking direction (as in left/right) is always in relation to the actual position of the opponent when the projectile's hitbox comes into contact with you, regardless of which direction the projectile comes from. So if you're player 1, and at round start, Nu opens the round with 4D, you'll block it standing and holding left.

Edited by Elemenope

How fast after airdash can you attack? I noticed that if you do airdash really low to the ground it pulls you up a bit and i can't seem to attack during the pull, or is it just messing up with controls? I'm trying to decide if Jin can do mixups with airdash j2C/2B after charged 236D freezing and how it can be done.

You can attack at the end of the animation of the airdash

Because you can't cancel an airdash into an attack

afaik, you cannot cancel it at all actually

Edited by Zouf

I think it's more that airdashes have startup in which you can't attack,  and then you hit a phase where you can attack and not block,  and then finally the airdashes ends,  leaving you with some momentum during which you can do anything. 

I don't think IAD combos would work if you couldn't attack during an airdash.