KayEff

BlazBlue Question Thread - Ask your questions here!

Taokaka, mash D then press B or A sometimes then jump everywhere randomly while throwing bowling balls and then mash more D. Else maybe Ragna Jin or Unlimited Makoto (She has SF Makoto Supers and Dudley moves).

I'm trying to get a SF-based friend into BB (I'm a newbie myself at BB), and while his execution and dedication are up to par, he's wary about long combos for some reason. I suppose from a SF background it's a bit foreign for a combo to go beyond light -> light -> medium/heavy xx special move. My question to you guys is, which characters get away with smaller combos? He's already expressed disinterest in Tager, if that's a possibility for smaller combos. Play style doesn't mean much, though he prefers solid characters or dive kick type characters. Super jumps are fine mid-combo, microdashes and tiger knee instant-air motions are probably beyond his capabilities right now. Anyone help?

Azrael in my opinion. The creators of the game even said Azrael wasn't a "combo" character.

He has a rekka chain like Fei Long (slightly different inputs though), and even has a dive kick although it sure isn't like Rufus', it's more like Yun's after the height restriction was added but still doesn't quite work the same as SF dive kicks.

He is definitely more of a footsies character and isn't heavily focused on combos until you get into his Drive mechanic. His drive more or less lets him extend his combos or use different openers that normally wouldn't work unless it was counter hit.

He doesn't have a run, which is like SF, except he actually "teleports" around, with his backdash being really good. His forward dash can go through opponents, think Blanka hop but not quite.

I'd say give Azrael a shot when the game comes out. Otherwise I think Hakumen would be next as already mentioned.

Mu's combos are super easy, even someone with awful execution like me can play her! She's a footsie character with a lot of neutral mindgames and oki setups, but none of them, imo, is technically challenging.

Like the others said, Ragna or Jin are the go-to characters when starting out with this game. I also suggest Hakumen as well. If your friend is into grapplers, I also suggest Tager. He doedn't have long ass combos and his combos are pretty straightforward. Just gotta learn mixups with 360/720's and learn how to block really, really well. :eng101:

I'm definitely recommending Hakumen to him, based on recommendations on here and videos seeing his style. However, I'd like to add that his favorite FG character of all time is SSF4 AE Yun; he loves the dive kick, mix-up options, Genei Jin combos, solid pressure/strings. Is there a good backup to Hakumen strictly based on his Yun love? Is Ragna like that? I think Azrael will be up his alley, but until then someone else has gotta suffice if Hakumen turns out poorly.

Sorry for asking these questions, but this is important. He couldn't connect with anyone in P4A, and I lament that.

Hmm, I'm not familiar enough with Yun to be able to tell who is similar to him... maybe someone else can.

Jin is probably the best bet for someone with a little of everything.

There really isn't ANYONE in the game with a Yun-esque dive kick, so that's pretty much off the table. Some characters have moves that change their aerial momentum, but there's none of this "free pressure from the air because you're plus after they block your kick" nonsense, though I guess you could pretend to do it with Ragna's Belial Edge.

Most of the cast has solid pressure though.

I also kinda admit I don't get it when you assert that he doesn't want to do "Big" combos, but that he loves Genei Jin, which gives some of the biggest, silliest combos in SF4. If he wants someone with a "mode" super like that, well, Ragna or Bang, I guess, because otherwise you're looking at Hakumen/Tsubaki. :P

There really isn't ANYONE in the game with a Yun-esque dive kick, so that's pretty much off the table. Some characters have moves that change their aerial momentum, but there's none of this "free pressure from the air because you're plus after they block your kick" nonsense, though I guess you could pretend to do it with Ragna's Belial Edge.

Most of the cast has solid pressure though.

I also kinda admit I don't get it when you assert that he doesn't want to do "Big" combos, but that he loves Genei Jin, which gives some of the biggest, silliest combos in SF4. If he wants someone with a "mode" super like that, well, Ragna or Bang, I guess, because otherwise you're looking at Hakumen/Tsubaki. :P

Airk, I think this "kid", whoever he is, wants a character that simply has one move that's like a guaranteed "win" button. This is just my take on it, but it seems the inquiring individual here (in this case, the OP's friend) has some kind of a "right to win" complex. Not unlike myself to some degree, and DEFINITELY not unlike Star-Demon.

@OP: Ask your friend this - is he looking for a character with a cheap "guaranteed to win" move that will ensure he wins and wins all the time? If so, I think his problem may be an inflated ego, which you may want to look into hitting him to cure it (or some other less bold and brazen method).

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that Yun's Dive Kick is considered an airborne normal, and from my experience, no character I know has that. Furthermore, you said he was considering Mu-12, but was that because of looks? Tell him to stop it with the "playing character love" if he wants to even remotely have a chance of "winning". Because ignoring everyone else as a potential investment is not only shortsighted and ignorant, but also severely limits your knowledge of the game - and that's one part of what helps one "win".

Furthermore, you said he was considering Mu-12, but was that because of looks? Tell him to stop it with the "playing character love" if he wants to even remotely have a chance of "winning". Because ignoring everyone else as a potential investment is not only shortsighted and ignorant, but also severely limits your knowledge of the game - and that's one part of what helps one "win".

What. Character love should be the first reason he plays someone. You can win with anyone if you get good enough. But what is it that will keep you playing that character when you're not winning yet. It has to be that you enjoy the character itself.

@Airk: I see what you mean about GJ combos, but in truth it's a horribly basic combo (in SSF4, not 3S) consisting primarily of f+MK and his Lunge Punch, with a few variations here or there depending on corner and what ender you use to go into oki.

@Renvalt: I fear I might have given the wrong impression here. His favorite character in SSF4 is 2012 Yun, who's far from an insta-win character, especially since the nerfs to his dive kick meant it's negative without very good spacing. My friend is not looking to tier whore, nor to stubbornly play one character based solely on character love. He's looking for a character that fits his style and someone he enjoys playing. While his reluctance to go after combo-heavy characters even though he's got the execution for it is perplexing, I respect that and just want to help him find a character that won't disappoint him 1,000 matches down the road.

lolragnabelialedgespam

And I think he meant "character love" as in "ass waifu"

Or "ass husbando" if that floats your boat.

What. Character love should be the first reason he plays someone. You can win with anyone if you get good enough. But what is it that will keep you playing that character when you're not winning yet. It has to be that you enjoy the character itself.

It's true that you should pick the character that you like best. However, if you're only getting fun out of the game BECAUSE of that character, or because of their theme, and not actually focusing on winning, then yeah, you're gonna trip and fall.

Either that, or those Melty freaks had no idea what they were talking about.

EDIT: My response to the OP below:

@Renvalt: I fear I might have given the wrong impression here. His favorite character in SSF4 is 2012 Yun, who's far from an insta-win character, especially since the nerfs to his dive kick meant it's negative without very good spacing. My friend is not looking to tier whore, nor to stubbornly play one character based solely on character love. He's looking for a character that fits his style and someone he enjoys playing. While his reluctance to go after combo-heavy characters even though he's got the execution for it is perplexing, I respect that and just want to help him find a character that won't disappoint him 1,000 matches down the road.

I need to apologize. On a general level, anytime someone says the words "Street Fighter", I immediately assume they have an ego trip and are out for fame/glory/etc. Especially when you mention Yun or any character like him, since I consistently hear people whining about him.

But I had no idea that Yun was nerfed. Because I've not seen anyone talk smack about him no longer being a god tier.

My bad, I should probably back out of this one. These guys definitely know what they're talking about.

Edited by Renvalt

Yun was easily one of the top 3 characters in SSF4 AE, it was clear the designers went above and beyond to ensure all his tools were more effective than needed. In the 2012 patch, he was toned down in so many ways he's not even considered in the top 10.

Yun was easily one of the top 3 characters in SSF4 AE, it was clear the designers went above and beyond to ensure all his tools were more effective than needed. In the 2012 patch, he was toned down in so many ways he's not even considered in the top 10.

Well that's good to hear. Still doesn't change my mind about how I feel towards a good chunk of SSF4AE's community (granted there are chunks of good people; it's the "child thugstarz" that I can't stand).

I believe the OP asked for a character suggestion based on a character from a different game. Not an opinion on the game itself its community and the theory of the big bang or why Old Spice commercials are awesome.

I believe the OP asked for a character suggestion based on a character from a different game. Not an opinion on the game itself its community and the theory of the big bang or why Old Spice commercials are awesome.

Yeah. My bad, sorry.

FYI Yun is still considered Top 10 in 2012. Yang was hit a LOT harder. Anywho-

I know what the OP means. And I can only say you're not going to find a character like that. I can name characters that have that kind of playstyle but the all require "Fairly" long combos. But I don't think these characters combo's are overly long anyway.

I'd recommend Makoto. She doesn't require TK's and she has a strong neutral, decent mixup and alright pressure.

I'd recommend Bang a bit more, though. I came from SF too, and this guy just worked and worked for me. Incredibly fun, strong and likeable character. If your friend can space well then it obviously shows he knows how to play SF to a decent degree. Set him off with Bang, He is mobile much like Yun, does good damage like Yun. But he doesn't have a meterless DP so that might be a problem?

Or Azrael when he comes out. Lol Damage.

Edited by YukiBlue

Hey guys, I hate to be the guy that asks the same question 300x but here we are so if I could get a definitive answer I would be very grateful. The XBL marketplace has both CT for 20 bucks and CS(not the extended if I recall) for 30. I don't mind paying the extra few bucks if it's worth it. BUT I want the one with the stronger online following. I have been finding it more than frustrating to find matches on GGXXACP on XBL. I'm really feinding to get my feet wet again on one of these titles so any help deciding would be GREATLY appreciated. Oh, and I don't bother with the "easy" control setup so that's a non issue.

Thanks guys

i'm not entirely sure if those two games even have what you call an "online following" anyways. there is a new blazblue around the corner as well, so even extend itself is struggling to keep itself relevant.

that being said, i would probably say that CS would have a better online scene since CS2's the closest one can get to CSEX at the moment.

I've been out of the CP loop for a while now, so I'd just like to ask.

I've seen an indication in some fights that says "Same attack combo" or something along those lines

No surprise it happens when a player uses the same attack twice in a combo but I'd just like to ask is it a penalty or a bonus?

What does it do exactly?

it's a penalty. each character has this penalty on certain moves to prevent loops and the like. if a move with this property is used twice in the same combo, the foe will be able to immediately tech.

I have a little question about BBCS:EX online. Regarding people with red names, I've been told that those people are essentially chronic ragequitters.

Now I currently have 90 wins, and 8 losses.

I also have a whopping 14 in-complete games. Now, I don't ragequit very often (since I'm completely against the mere idea of it); infact I've only ever ragequit once (an extremely laggy stylish Tsubaki player astral'd me and I just flipped).

As for the other 13, those were all other people ragequitting/connection issues. What's the deal with these red names, will I get one even if I don't ragequit and others ragequit on me? What happens with these connection drops? And I swear, sometimes I even get an in-complete game when I win a match and my opponent seemingly accepts. I just don't understand it.

In short, how exactly do these red names work? I certainly don't want one, and I truly dislike having so many in-complete games on my player card.

You will get a red name. Do not play them.

Edited by TD

Completely gimps your proration in most cases. Its called SMP commonly and its present in CSE even though it doesn't display anything. Its to make people use different moves in combos.