KayEff

BlazBlue Question Thread - Ask your questions here!

I imported the Japanese version, do you guys know if when the English version comes out will there be a patch for the Japanese version for the option of English text, if I want to play the story mode?

I imported the Japanese version, do you guys know if when the English version comes out will there be a patch for the Japanese version for the option of English text, if I want to play the story mode?

highly unlikely and english release is

http://www.amazon.com/BlazBlue-Chrono-Phantasma-Limited-Edition-PlayStation/dp/B00GFHTJ6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393878077&sr=8-1&keywords=blazblue+chrono+phantasma+limited+edition

march 25th so pretty fucking soon

But I reckon JP save file won't work with Us region game.

It actually might. But seriously. Why would you think that you wouldn't need to buy the English version if you want to play story mode? Isn't this the sort of informed decision that goes into importing a game?

It actually might. But seriously. Why would you think that you wouldn't need to buy the English version if you want to play story mode? Isn't this the sort of informed decision that goes into importing a game?

A) Don't feel like waiting 5 months to play the game -> B) I myself can't read Japanese at all even if I do understand spoken Japanese (to some extent), so playing through the story mode was frustrating at times + I couldn't read the glossary at all. That and if you just want the HUD to be in English.

So this is kind of an off-topic question and I'm not sure where to post this, but it seems very relevant on a board about Japanese Fighting Games, so I'll just put this here.

For those of you who know Japanese (and aren't from Japan ofc), what method did you use to learn the language?

The grammar and pronunciation seems super straight-forward, but I'm not really sure how to learn the written vocabulary with all the Kanji.

All of the other languages I know just use Latin letters, so they're not so hard to learn to read IMO.

Any tips? It would be cool if I could read some of the recent information about Blazblue. Thanks in advance.

So this is kind of an off-topic question and I'm not sure where to post this, but it seems very relevant on a board about Japanese Fighting Games, so I'll just put this here.

For those of you who know Japanese (and aren't from Japan ofc), what method did you use to learn the language?

The grammar and pronunciation seems super straight-forward, but I'm not really sure how to learn the written vocabulary with all the Kanji.

All of the other languages I know just use Latin letters, so they're not so hard to learn to read IMO.

Any tips? It would be cool if I could read some of the recent information about Blazblue. Thanks in advance.

I actually learned a lot of Japanese just by playing BLAZBLUE, I'm pretty sure I learned Katakana from playing it!

I know a good bit of spoken Japanese, but I'm still not perfect, and I'm not so great at reading it either due to Kanji, But the good thing is that with BLAZBLUE, almost all of the text is accompanied with spoken voices as well, so most of the time you can hear the Kanji spoken which may help you memorize and learn it. It sounds dumb, but it actually works. I've been recognizing more and more Kanji lately by doing this.

Japanese is very straight-forward in pronunciation, most of the written letters in the Japanese alphabet are only pronounced one way, making it very easy to learn.

I'm not good at giving tips, but I hoped this helped at least a little!

Do you know if those with the japanese version could play online with the american version players?

Yes, no ASW game has had region separation for online modes. Everyone is together on the same servers.

A) Don't feel like waiting 5 months to play the game -> B) I myself can't read Japanese at all even if I do understand spoken Japanese (to some extent), so playing through the story mode was frustrating at times + I couldn't read the glossary at all. That and if you just want the HUD to be in English.

And?

Yes, there are reasons to import. No one has ever been dumb enough to argue that. What I am asking is why you would think they would give you English for free when you've basically deliberately gone out of your way to buy the game in a way they don't support?

You know, informed decision making - "If I buy the import, I won't get story mode in English unless I buy the localized version too. I am okay/not okay with that."

Yes, there are reasons to import. No one has ever been dumb enough to argue that. What I am asking is why you would think they would give you English for free when you've basically deliberately gone out of your way to buy the game in a way they don't support?

Agree with you there. For the reason why this question was asked in the first place...this is a Q&A thread after all so why not I guess. It's kinda dumb but yeah.

So @Fatalis, I'm pretty sure you got your answer.

Agree with you there. For the reason why this question was asked in the first place...this is a Q&A thread after all so why not I guess. It's kinda dumb but yeah.

So @Fatalis, I'm pretty sure you got your answer.

There are no dumb questions, bro.

I've been trying to add instant blocking to my game plan and tried to do it when I was playing some casuals, I ended up eating a lot of normals cause I either missed timed a lot of it or got backdash. So when going about instant blocking in this game, should I be focusing more on just blocking the moves and instant blocking the slower moves to punish them or go about it differently?

I also have another question about how to deal with an opponent's barrier blocking, there's a lot of time I want to keep my pressures going but things like my normals just barely whiff and my pressure ends from there a lot. I know there's throwing to get around it as well but I'm looking for more of a "oh hey my opponent is barrier blocking, I'm gonna take advantage of the fact they are in block stun a little longer" sort of approach. I'm guessing that's also gonna depend of the character but I'm wondering if there's a more general strategy that every character interprets differently.

I've been trying to add instant blocking to my game plan and tried to do it when I was playing some casuals, I ended up eating a lot of normals cause I either missed timed a lot of it or got backdash. So when going about instant blocking in this game, should I be focusing more on just blocking the moves and instant blocking the slower moves to punish them or go about it differently? (PART ONE

I also have another question about how to deal with an opponent's barrier blocking, there's a lot of time I want to keep my pressures going but things like my normals just barely whiff and my pressure ends from there a lot. I know there's throwing to get around it as well but I'm looking for more of a "oh hey my opponent is barrier blocking, I'm gonna take advantage of the fact they are in block stun a little longer" sort of approach. I'm guessing that's also gonna depend of the character but I'm wondering if there's a more general strategy that every character interprets differently (PART TWO).

Part One : determining when to make attempts to IB and missing said attempts AND Backdashing failed inputs are part of the strugge for learning IBing. Personally I reserve my IB practice vs players I know are REALLY less capable than I am. So I can safely make mistakes / improve a lilbit - and if need be run back the round. I suggest this method so that like me, you can feel comfortable with learning a possibly very difficult aspect of the game, and not worry so much about winning or getting your balls kicked through your teeth-- you certainly dont use a character you just started to learn vs ppl of the same or greater level do you? there'd be nigh to little value to be had in creating appropriate synapse response for w/e you wanted to learn.

Part Two: This is gonna be a fair bit harder due to your main -- who can have trouble maintaining pressure depending on your mode/ and stock usage. Im pretty basic myself but I use a lot of 5b > 6C > sonic sabers at range -- and attempt 6b mixups and feints at closer ranges. Izayoi is decidedly lacking in amazing normals that keep ppl pinned --- but as your being pushed away from your opponent to be too afraid to enjoy the 1-star usage of D sonic Saber (while it lasts) and keep them in blockstun. Dont be too afraid to keep ppl guessing with Mirage Thruster use... and if you suspect them of turtling up with Barrier then try a B mirage thruster to catch their blocking mindset if you feel up to it.

Another trick to learning IB-ing is to practice block-strings with the character you are trying to IB against. Learn their timing and you'll learn your timing.

[paraphrase] Learn the timing of the opponent's combos and you'll learn your timing. [/paraphrase]

Yeah, this is kind of the mindset I have for instant blocking. I look for particular moves and sequences my opponent does that I know will give me opportunities if I instant block them.

For example, I try to instant block Terumi's Jakyou Messenga because it's punishable with Izayoi if you do that, but not otherwise.

I don't try to instant block everything though, especially since Izayoi has no DP. I just try to instant block the things that leave openings that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Alright I guess the best way for me to do that is look at some vids/replays and see what people like to do and learn some of the timings like that. So I have a question about blockstun in this game, I know in UMvC3 if you chicken block and land the block stun resets, does Blazblue have something similar to that when you chicken block?

I didn't think this deserved it's own thread so here goes.

TL;DR: Want to get better at game, defense specifically. Who should I play?

BBCT was my first competitive fighter. (Came from Smash) I settled on playing Ragna after I failed hard at Noel (drive spams that weren't even combos) and Hakumen (6C spam). Thing is, the most I've done with other characters were some their easier challenges in CS->EX and got a feel on how they match up with Ragna.

Right now I feel like my offense is pretty good, I can pressure decently, I know most of his combos and can usually get a good amount of damage if I get a hit in with and without meter. Unfortunately I have absolutely no defense other than basic blocking and I fail at blocking low/high correctly a lot. I mostly just spam DIVIDAH! if I get knocked down and that doesn't always work out well. I cant tech grabs reliably at all, even the blue ones. I would play against human players but it seems I never get to the game early enough in its life to play against more than like 1 guy an hour since everyone was playing extend by the time I got online in CS and now that I have Extend it seems everyone's on CP.

I'm thinking of switching to Hakumen to learn some defense and more calculated offense but I'm having a lot of difficulty with him since 6C spam + Random Yukikaze/Shippu still seems to work better for me against the computer and my irl buddies than any attempt at combos since I drop them all the time (could probably be remedied by long hours in training mode).

Haku just seems to have a lot of different options, idk if that makes him harder or easier but is it a good idea to just stick to him and try to learn it all? Or should I pick someone else? (not Tager, not a fan of grapple fighters)

Well part of defending isn't just about mashing out a reversal, it could be something as simple as sticking a normal out at the right time. Ragna and Hakumen are pretty good characters to start with, do keep in mind even when you play on a 3 bar connection, its gonna be hard to react to overheads or slow lows for that matter, I actually do better offline cause I conditioned myself to react to specific overheads and react to throw tech. Unlike some games, BB has a pretty big tech window but it can be harder to do online just cause that slight bit of lag can make hard to deal with. In BB (this is something I'm working on myself) you can take advantage of instant blocking to punish specific moves and give yourself a bit more meter while your at it. The first thing to do is don't yolo reversals, that is a very bad thing to train yourself to do, cause that can lead to some seriously nasty punishes.

The best way to think of a reversal is a calculated risk, cause if it doesn't work, your gonna eat dirt so to say. I dunno which version of Smash you mostly play, but its kinda like if you know someone is gonna forward smash, you bait it by making it whiff or something and make them pay it by punishing it (I dunno I know some character have a strong chain throw game and others have strong juggles, I only kinda play smash).

Part of defending in this game is also knowing what your opponent can do, so that means knowing things like gattlings to frame data, match up experience and etc. Online defending you will get hit by a lot of gimmicks cause that's just the nature of playing online and offline as well, but knowing about them is also part of the fight to deal with it. If it helps, you should challenge yourself to not use reversals for awhile and focus on defending and getting an idea of how people like to open people up, BB also has replay functions so take advantage of that and watch yourself and try to see what went wrong or ask around.

Hmm, not sure if this belongs in this thread or if I should start a new topic. Anyway.

Guilty Gear is all about wake up game/oki and all that stuff, right? So what is Blazblue about?

Movement? Wakeup game? Mixed things?

I'm actually curious as to why this has never been a thing here on Dustloop. Why hasn't there ever been a section of profile creation that lets forum members enter in their rank/win rate or at least total games played so they can display it if they choose to? I feel it would give people a better idea of others skill level or experience so you can tell you are arguing with someone who at least has some experience with the topic at hand or just sate people's curiosity. It would be perfect with BBCP's experience system since you could just display a colored block. Just wondering why this has never been a thing I've seen here on a fighting game forum. Also for those curious I'm green in CP and rusty as hell, PSR of 626 back in my Extend prime.