KayEff

BlazBlue Question Thread - Ask your questions here!

From CT all the way to CP we've had.

- 12 New Characters (Might have forgotten some but oh well)

- New stages

- Dat New Music

- New Game modes

- Improved Netcode

- More Story content added for DLC characters

- Gameplay Tweak's to both the engine and characters themselves

Each new iteration makes the last version irrelevant. Picking up Continuum Shift now would be a complete waste imo. CP bringing the huge changes.

Each iteration of BB (CT to CS to CP) can be compared to the various Guilty Gear sequels (from 1 to X to XX and all of XX's expansions). Each version has vastly different system mechanics and balancing.

CT: First game in the series. Barely anybody plays this anymore unless they're really bored or are on Games for Windows Live.

CS: Second game in the series. Adds Tsubaki, Hazama, and Mu-12 at the start, with Makoto, Valkenhayn, and Platinum as DLC characters. Requires you to have the latest patch that contains the DLC files (version 1.03 in this case) to play Ranked Match. Everybody's moved on to Extend though. CS versions 1.00 through 1.02 are based on the original arcade version, with console exclusive characters having their own balancing. Version 1.03, however, is updated to match the balance specifications for Continuum Shift 2. CS2 is widely considered to have the worst balance changes out of all the BlazBlue games, so I'd avoid this if I were you.

CS Extend: Extend is an expansion pack for CS, in the same vein as Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus. While it is a full game, it contains the latest balance tweaks for the Arcade version of CS2, which is 1.10. Relius Clover is also added as a playable character. This is the latest console release.

CP: Third game in the series. Has 4 new characters in the Arcade version (Amane, Bullet, Azrael, and Izayoi), with 2 more console exclusive characters (Kagura and Terumi) coming in the console release.

Short version: Get Extend, it's the one everybody's playing right now.

Edited by Vulcan422

If they are just going to play it amongst themselves and don't care about playing online or going to gatherings, then getting an old copy of Continuum Shift (or even Calamity Trigger hell) would be just fine.

It would cost them a lot less and still give them a taste of what blazblue is. If they like it and want to get a newer version / play more people, then they can drop the dough on extend or wait for CP.

There is no reason to spend extra money on a game if you are still skeptical as to whether or not you will like it. I think your friends are right and they should only buy the latest game if they care about playing onlyne / at tourneys.

It would cost them a lot less and still give them a taste of what blazblue is. If they like it and want to get a newer version / play more people, then they can drop the dough on extend or wait for CP.

There is no reason to spend extra money on a game if you are still skeptical as to whether or not you will like it. I think your friends are right and they should only buy the latest game if they care about playing onlyne / at tourneys.

Actually, just glancing at a few online stores, it looks the PS3 and 360 versions of CS: Extend are going for about the same price as vanilla CS (the 360 version of Extend is even a couple bucks cheaper on Amazon at the moment).

Picking up Extend is the obvious choice. It has the most content, the "best" (comparatively speaking) balance, the most active online community on both systems, and is substantially cheaper than the older versions when you factor in the cost of DLC.

A big plus to Extend is that, with Mu and the DLC available on-disc, you can bring it to someone elses house, and play it on their PS3 / 360 even if they don't have a save file. That always killed me in CS. I could never use my main. :(

A big plus to Extend is that, with Mu and the DLC available on-disc, you can bring it to someone elses house, and play it on their PS3 / 360 even if they don't have a save file. That always killed me in CS. I could never use my main. :(

This; Basically all the crap that was DLC in CS is on the disc in Extend, so if you don't have any BB versions yet, Extend is TOTALLY the version to buy.

If your friends already have CS(2) and don't feel like spending any more money, fine, but Extend basically offers four new characters on top of anything else, since Makoto/Valk/Plat are paid DLC for CS.

This is just for fun.

So, if anyone actually knows:

What attack types are unblockables considered? Are they simultaneously high-mid-low attacks, or do they have their own type? What would happen if an attack was simultaneously high-mid-low? Would that make it unblockable?

Just curious. No real point.

In my opinion, a setup that's low + high at the same time. Things like Relius' 236D + j.C or Carl's j.2C + 3D.

In my opinion, a setup that's low + high at the same time. Things like Relius' 236D + j.C or Carl's j.2C + 3D.

Doesn't the game have a system that allows you to block simultaneous high/low mix ups like that, or am I thinking skullgirls?

I'm not entirely sure if you are confusing it with Skullgirls, but that feature definitely isn't included.

Edited by InWithTheAshes

Only few moves such as Bang's astral or Hakumen's Ds (not any more since CP) are truly "unblockable". The rest are just nigh-silmutaneous high low mixups whereing you'd have to go from low guard to high guard within a single frame, which is as good as unblockable. Carl has a bunch of these.

No, that's skullgirls.

In addition to simultaneous high/lows (Carl and relius), some attacks have an "unblockable" attribute, such as Haku and Jin's yukikaze (if triggered by a projectile), Tsubaki's charged 22D, Haku's fully charged shippu, Jin's fully charged 623D(2).

Hello I'm from Germany and I already own BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, but not any of the more recent versions. I'm thinking about buying the newest game but I don't know anyone who plays fighting games, so I'm asking if the online community is active in Europe. I heard that this game is very unknown outside of Japan, and if I'm going to end up just playing against bots like I currently do I might as well save me the money.

Hey, i'm from Germany, too :)

I'd say on weekends and mostly also during the week (i don't play too regularly) you'll find at least 1 or 2 custom match lobbys with european guys (sometimes called EU for convenience), that are also pretty good players IMO.

That is on PS3, I don't know about Xbox, what system are you on?

If you're on PS3 you can also add me, i have some EU BB-players in my friend list that play very regularly. Same nick as here, just mention dustloop :)

The EU online community is still active, but you're more likely to find more players during the evening.

Personally, I don't play online much but I always try to make room for those who ask.

Mostly what everyone else has said. Few attacks are TRULY unblockable. Although you usually just have to worry about that with puppet/shadow characters, where they can hit both high and low nearly simultaneously.

The feature you speak of is only in Skullgirls as far as I know. However, protection from unblockables does not guard against mix-ups or intense pressure.

Also to make note of the Relius 236D + 6A/j.B/j.C setup. Only the first hit of 236D is a low, after that the rest become mid's. So you have to time the 6A/j.B/j.C with the first hit of 236D to be a unblockable. Besides that it's just a pseudo unblockable.

Edited by Kurushii

"Pseudo unblockable"? Something is either unblockable or isn't, what do you mean "pseudo unblockable"?

"Pseudo unblockable"? Something is either unblockable or isn't, what do you mean "pseudo unblockable"?

I always labeled it as that because their are too many factors in play:

-Is Ignis active or not before the knockdown took place. Force summoning her after the knockdown has longer startup values.

-The distance to the opponent when the special was inputted. The yoyo has to travel forward, so farther you are from the opponent the longer it takes for the active frames to make contact.

-Opponent wakeup timing. Depending on the knockdown, if they neutral tech at the perfect time they are invul for the entirety of the yoyo's active frames. Meaning they just have to block the OH if it's even still in active frames. If their tech starts a little bit before the yoyo is near them then they avoid the majority of the yoyo's active frames. In case your 6f active j.C (or 3f active j.B/6A) has to be timed to land on the frame their invul from neutral tech ends. If the opponent is not in the corner they can just back roll to avoid the setup entirely.

In point the odds of it being a true unblockable from a knockdown situation is very very slim. Which is why I call it a pseudo unblockable because it's possible to block more than the majority of the time.

Edited by Kurushii

Ragna's BK DbD is also worth mentioning.

I remember someone commenting that it could possible to setup a true unblockable using BK Deadspike > RC > DbD in CP.

In point the odds of it being a true unblockable from a knockdown situation is very very slim. Which is why I call it a pseudo unblockable because it's possible to block more than the majority of the time.

I'd say that that's up to the player and not the setup. If you do it right, it's unblockable, if you don't then it just failed.

I only consider "unblockables" to be attacks that are actually unblockable (you block it and it goes right through your guard).

Stuff like Relius' stuff I just consider to be really good high-low setups because you can technically block one direction and Counter Assault it to save yourself, which makes it different from an actual Unblockable which you wouldn't be able to counter assault.

What I consider Unblockables:

Fully charged Shippu

Yukikaze

Fully charged Carl 6C

Fully charged Jin 623D(2)

Fully charged Tsubaki 22D

Bang AH

Jin AH

Devoured by Darkness

Command Throws

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf